• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

MutFox

Banned
So excited for this game...
I don't think I've been this excited for a game in probably around 10 years... Not Kidding.

I thought the Space Combat Sim genre was dead due to Console/Causal gaming becoming the norm,
and these games were deemed too hard for the average gamer.

So glad, so happy... :)

Still haven't pledged, due to wanting to know more about monetization.
Though everything I've read so far says that everything can be earned in game.
So by pledging, I'd actually get the game on release?
Don't care about getting a ship or whatever, rather earn the stuff,
just care about getting the game.

MrBig

So excited for this game...
I don't think I've been this excited for a game in probably around 10 years... Not Kidding.

I thought the Space Combat Sim genre was dead due to Console/Causal gaming becoming the norm,
and these games were deemed too hard for the average gamer.

So glad, so happy... :)

Still haven't pledged, due to wanting to know more about monetization.
Though everything I've read so far says that everything can be earned in game.
So by pledging, I'd actually get the game on release?
Don't care about getting a ship or whatever, rather earn the stuff,
just care about getting the game.

Yeah, you can just pay $30 now and be able to do anything you want on launch day, or spend $40 and participate in the milestone releases and testing from now until launch.

Monetization will be of (one of) the currency used in the game, and only in limited quantities. Nothing will be directly purchasable with money.

MutFox

Banned
Yeah, you can just pay $30 now and be able to do anything you want on launch day, or spend $40 and participate in the milestone releases and testing from now until launch.

Monetization will be of (one of) the currency used in the game, and only in limited quantities. Nothing will be directly purchasable with money.

Sweet! Thanks!

Will probably go for the $30 version as I'd rather wait and just play the finished version.
Plus for that price, I might be able to convince a bunch of friends to get it too... :p

Wonder if it'll be available on Steam before launch...

Zabojnik

I'm not a fan of Saitek's central spring design. I wish they'd come up with something better for the SC hotas. It's much more likely that they'll just rebrand / tweak the upcoming X-55 a bit though.

After seeing my hotas warthog in their office I was hoping they would make their own attachable joystick since you can detach it, but that might be wishful thinking. Hope they at least have a good profile setup taking advantage of all the buttons.

Mindlog

Sweet! Thanks!

Will probably go for the $30 version as I'd rather wait and just play the finished version.
Plus for that price, I might be able to convince a bunch of friends to get it too... :p

Wonder if it'll be available on Steam before launch...
We're all fans here so of course we'll do our best to sell you on the game! The single player campaign* (Squadron 42) will be untouched by the monetization of the persistent universe if that is a concern.

*Portions of the single player campaign may include co-op multiplayer if you so desire.

Zabojnik

I think I'll stick to a Dualshock 4.

Funny-gifs-aww-snap.gif

Zabojnik

I'll be going with a HOTAS setup no matter what, even if flying with a joypad / mouse will give you the competitive advantage. It just adds so much to the immersion.

epmode

I think he means to use a mouse to look around?

I've read that the Star Citizen controller will have some kind of second analog stick to enable first person head movement while steering the ship.

This is all from the Something Awful forums. I don't know where exactly they're getting the information but I normally don't follow Saitek news so I take what I can get.

Zabojnik

I think he means to use a mouse to look around?

I've read that the Star Citizen controller will have some kind of second analog stick to enable first person head movement while steering the ship.

This is all from the Something Awful forums. I don't know where exactly they're getting the information but I normally don't follow Saitek news so I take what I can get.

Mouse to look around? Hell naw. First choice will be the Oculus Rift, with TrackIR as backup, in case flying with the Oculus for long periods turns out to be problematic. If everything else fails, I'll be using the joystick's hat switch or the mouse emulation analog stick on the throttle control of the Saitek X52 Pro / X55 / Star Citizen controller.

The preview video for the X-55 shows a center spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HkR7Z6Qvhs#t=0

Yeah, I know. :( Which is why I'm pretty sure the eventual SC version will have it as well. It's not like Saitek are going to develop a SC HOTAS from scratch, innit.

MutFox

Banned
Ok, for in-game Insurance, does it go up the more you die?
Can you fly a ship without Insurance?
If you can, if your ship gets destroyed, is your ship gone?

Or is the insurance I'm speaking of completely different in the game? :p

Reishiki

Banned
Final damage

Aurora LN
Origin 350R
Hornet Ghost
Freelancer
Constellation
Retaliator

All with LTI. Can't wait to see the Retaliator interior/cockpit.

CTLance

Ok, for in-game Insurance, does it go up the more you die?
Can you fly a ship without Insurance?
If you can, if your ship gets destroyed, is your ship gone?

Or is the insurance I'm speaking of completely different in the game? :p
Insurance comes in three flavors, at least for now. Hull, cargo, equipment. Each needs to be bought separately and will give you the insured item back in case you get blown up. LTI is a hull-with-fixed-equipment version that will give you the ship as advertised on the shop, even if that would be an older version or inefficient weaponry later in the game.

You can fly without insurance, but if your ship gets blown up it's gone and you need to buy a new ship (or slave away for someone else if you can't afford it).

The thing is, there will be a mechanism so that LTI owners can't just kamikaze all their ships at zero cost. I don't quite remember how it will work, tbqh.

you think so? i've seen HOTAS go for around 400+ bucks for the good quality kind. for 135, it sounds pretty affordable.

Speaking of one of the expensive ones, I would have been all over the HOTAS Warthog if the joystick could twist. Though I might just go for full immersion and use pedals.

What kind of performance is everyone getting out of the hangar module?

I'm running a 1GB AMD 6850... I know the module is not optimized, but it runs pretty rough for me. I hope the optimized game performs much better. If not, I'm just gonna wait a year and then upgrade cards.

For me, it defaults to high settings...but I can put it on medium and I can see almost no different in performance.

edit: Apparently, my card is at the bottom of the spectrum of cards that can run the game. But, with a little overclocking, it should do much better. Will still need to upgrade next year.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
What kind of performance is everyone getting out of the hangar module?

I'm running a 1GB AMD 6850... I know the module is not optimized, but it runs pretty rough for me. I hope the optimized game performs much better. If not, I'm just gonna wait a year and then upgrade cards.

For me, it defaults to high settings...but I can put it on medium and I can see almost no different in performance.

edit: Apparently, my card is at the bottom of the spectrum of cards that can run the game. But, with a little overclocking, it should do much better. Will still need to upgrade next year.

That's because right now, there barely IS any difference between settings. AFAIK it's mostly one setting and it's VERY unoptimized. Don't expect this to be a proper reflection of what the final result will be putting out.

Also I don't understand why you'd buy hardware for a game that's not out until 2015 already. Anything you buy now WILL be cheaper in 2015.

That's because right now, there barely IS any difference between settings. AFAIK it's mostly one setting and it's VERY unoptimized. Don't expect this to be a proper reflection of what the final result will be putting out.

Also I don't understand why you'd buy hardware for a game that's not out until 2015 already. Anything you buy now WILL be cheaper in 2015.

If you go back and read my post, I say that I'm just gonna wait a year before upgrading. :)

Of course, I can pick up a 6850 used for ~$50 now...I wonder if a crossfire solution with 1gb 6850's would be a cheap way to upgrade. ...naaa.. probably better just to buy a 3 or 4 gig card in a year.

Momentary

Banned
I hope this SC Saitek controller is the whole shebang with the pedals and everything. Are there any "Flight" chairs like there are "Racing" chairs. To tell you the truth, I want like a combo thing because I'm wanting to get a racing wheel for Project CARS.

Edit: I'll just buy 2 separate seats for the man-cave. Outside of spending $8000 on the ultimate experience, these seem to be the only cheap alternatives that I could find:

http://www.atgstores.com/video-game...gclid=CKXUsIizj7sCFcVQ7AodwDkAAA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I just wish they had a pedal platform like their racing chairs.

I was also thinking that the Steam Controller would be the best bet because... where the hell are you going to have space for a mouse and keyboard. Better learn how to use those track pads for convenience, boys.

Sothpaw

So I haven't played a space sim game since X-Wing v Tie Fighter and I really had no idea what I was doing then anyway. I recently purchased Freespace from GOG and man am I having a blast with this genre. Really enjoying learning space sims and am getting really hyped for Star Citizen (and Freespace 2 for that matter).

MrBig

I hope this SC Saitek controller is the whole shebang with the pedals and everything. Are there any "Flight" chairs like there are "Racing" chairs. To tell you the truth, I want like a combo thing because I'm wanting to get a racing wheel for Project CARS.

Ship cockpit design is much more diverse than what is needed for car sims. It'd probably be best to wait and see what you need for SC.

A modular system or building something yourself would probably end up being the best course rather than buying a one size fits all boxed product.

vakarian32

I've picked up a Freelancer, Hornet Ghost & after the live stream I had to get the sexy Avenger, think i have a pretty well rounded set of ships now. I will pick up a Freelancer upgrade when they're available too. Spent too much cash on this.. feel dirty.

Momentary

Banned
Ship cockpit design is much more diverse than what is needed for car sims. It'd probably be best to wait and see what you need for SC.

A modular system or building something yourself would probably end up being the best course rather than buying a one size fits all boxed product.

The Atomic A2 that I have hyper linked comes with stands that you can swap out for any occasion and it is on a motion platform. But its over 8000 USD. I'm hoping CIG teams up with them to bring something a little cheaper for SC.

Has anything more specific been said about the release date of the dogfighting module? I need it now.

Also, will you be able to fly any of the ships you've purchased, even if they aren't suitable for dogfighting? Or am I gonna have to buy a dogfighting ship in order to play around?

Has anything more specific been said about the release date of the dogfighting module? I need it now.

Also, will you be able to fly any of the ships you've purchased, even if they aren't suitable for dogfighting? Or am I gonna have to buy a dogfighting ship in order to play around?

Last I heard it was end of the year with AI dog fighting and full multiplayer in January, I think he hinted that we might be able to test other ships we don't own in module but not for sure yet.

MrBig

iirc CR stated in the last live stream the Hornet will be the only ship available for flight at first (regardless of what you have in your hangar) and options will expand over time

iirc CR stated in the last live stream the Hornet will be the only ship available for flight at first (regardless of what you have in your hangar) and options will expand over time

nice, i almost bought a hornet for the dogfighting. dodged a bullet there, lol

Mashing

So, I've been wondering how something like the Constellation is going to work in battle. I know it has gunner seats, but what if you're using AI gunners and you're piloting? I'd hate to get destroyed because I'm using AI gunner or pilot. And always having human shipmates is not practical. I know it has that snub fighter as well, but that's not going to be very effective in a battle.

So, I've been wondering how something like the Constellation is going to work in battle. I know it has gunner seats, but what if you're using AI gunners and you're piloting? I'd hate to get destroyed because I'm using AI gunner or pilot. And always having human shipmates is not practical. I know it has that snub fighter as well, but that's not going to be very effective in a battle.

I'm interested in this but not overly worried? If only because I intend to be rocking a full crew almost 100% of the time. I assume
(keyword)
that the turrets will be auto-targeting when not manned by a player. You'll have AI companions fill essential slots while you're driving/firing main weapons.

Momentary

Banned
If the X52 pro ever goes on a deep discount, I have a feeling the Citizens will descend on that site like locusts.

I would seriously wait until near the release of Star Citizen. Something tells me there are going to be some pretty nice hardware offered for this game.

Dead Man

It's been odd to me that any of the turrets will be more accurate with a player than in an unmanned AI defensive role. Sure, sometimes you want a person in there to discriminate targets, but if the AI of the ship was controlling them they should be much more accurate. Silly MP balancing.

If we can make this now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalkeeper_CIWS

Then surely there is no reason ships 1000 years from now would not have a better system.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
GUYS, MEGATON

Banu3.jpg

the pointy end of the Merchantman is the... BACK. Whoa. I totally have to rethink how I look at it now :lol Now it looks much less aggressive and more like it's "dragging" the cargo part along.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
GUYS, MEGATON

Banu3.jpg

the pointy end of the Merchantman is the... BACK. Whoa. I totally have to rethink how I look at it now :lol Now it looks much less aggressive and more like it's "dragging" the cargo part along.

its more appropriate imo. I can't imagine a MERCHANT ship looking more badass than a battleship from any race

GUYS, MEGATON

Banu3.jpg

I'm sure this pissed a lot of people off who bought it during the sale, too bad because I liked the pointy end better. Now it looks like a space fish

Daedardus

GUYS, MEGATON

So why does the trust come out from the front and is the glass cockpit on the back?

Top Bottom