• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
holy shit it's bugged out in a hilarious way LOL. the ship keeps flipping up and down LOOOL

Tommyhawk

Awesome morning for SC!

Dogfighting looked really solid. It's quite clear that it was a good decision to delay it, especially since they can work on the netcode and iron issues out early in the cycle like we saw on stream. The effects were so good too.

The one thing I wish they would add that I haven't heard them talk about is cockpit visual effects. If you've seen any footage of the Elite Dangerous alpha, you know what I'm talking about. Turn down life support, it starts to get cold and the cockpit glass starts to slowly frost, cockpit becomes cracked if a bullet hits it, etc.

Also checked out the new Hangar update.

Love the new Avenger! It's got a fair amount of space in it too.

Cutlass looks good. I was surprised that there doesn't seem to be a bunk or two in it though. The cargo hold is nice and roomy for those "Search & Rescue" ops. :)

Wreaths are a nice touch, and they're huge too.

Shooting feels so meh in the hangar, but hey... at least I got to fire a gun in SC! Really just can't wait for the DFM next year.

d0g_bear

Wow, that volumetric smoke is awesome. When they fly around it you can see it's not just a sprite but a cloud with light shining through it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Awesome morning for SC!

Dogfighting looked really solid. It's quite clear that it was a good decision to delay it, especially since they can work on the netcode and iron issues out early in the cycle like we saw on stream. The effects were so good too.

The one thing I wish they would add that I haven't heard them talk about is cockpit visual effects. If you've seen any footage of the Elite Dangerous alpha, you know what I'm talking about. Turn down life support, it starts to get cold and the cockpit glass starts to slowly frost, cockpit becomes cracked if a bullet hits it, etc.

Also checked out the new Hangar update.

Love the new Avenger! It's got a fair amount of space in it too.

Cutlass looks good. I was surprised that there doesn't seem to be a bunk or two in it though. The cargo hold is nice and roomy for those "Search & Rescue" ops. :)

Wreaths are a nice touch, and they're huge too.

Shooting feels so meh in the hangar, but hey... at least I got to fire a gun in SC! Really just can't wait for the DFM next year.

There are two bunks. Here's a screenshot someone took of one of them: http://imgur.com/a/aIL2p#1 It's next to the toilet. It has netting to keep you from falling out during spaceflight.

Zabojnik

For those of you still on the fence about which HOTAS to buy for Star Citizen, Saitek finally put up a site for the X-55 with some pictures & info. Looks pretty good.

headermain.png

x55stick-lg.jpg

throttle1-lg.jpg

derFeef

Maybe this got discussed but I can't patch the game right now. Everytime it's finished it says Corrupted. Then it verifies the thing, and then it wants to download 4gb. every time...

Zabojnik

Maybe this got discussed but I can't patch the game right now. Everytime it's finished it says Corrupted. Then it verifies the thing, and then it wants to download 4gb. every time...

It's like this for everybody. You've got to download that 4gb I'm afraid.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm patching right now.... I'll see what happens once I'm done. even this first patch is like 1.5gb/2gb big oO

I know it's kinda sad, but I freakin' love the new fish - especially the shy crab! The animations are great.

The 'shooting gallery' is a waste of time for me though - it's ruined the 'small and cozy' feel of my one-ship discount hanger. Hopefully there will be an option to get rid of it eventually.

epmode

I was referring, in jest, to the bolded part, the 1mb/s connection, which is none too shabby. I'll add a couple extra smileys next time.

If that's really supposed to be a lower-case b, it stands for megaBIT. 1 megabit per second is pretty awful for anyone.

Hey can someone help me out - I wanna throw some money at this game, but I really don't understand the price points. What's a good one that people recommend, that seems like good value. So you buy a ship? I played wing commander back in the day, but I have no clue about this :p

Zabojnik

Hey can someone help me out - I wanna throw some money at this game, but I really don't understand the price points. What's a good one that people recommend, that seems like good value. So you buy a ship? I played wing commander back in the day, but I have no clue about this :p

Check out the OP and this. Best value is the Aurora MR + game package for 40$. You get the full game, access to alpha and beta, the basic hangar and the Aurora MR starter ship. Everything you need. Only buy additional ships if you want to further support the development of the game. You'll be able to buy all ships with the money you'll earn in the game.

Check out the OP and this. Best value is the Aurora MR + game package for 40$. You get the full game, access to alpha and beta, the basic hangar and the Aurora MR starter ship. Everything you need. Only buy additional ships if you want to further support the development of the game. You'll be able to buy all ships with the money you'll earn in the game.

Thanks!

MrBig

I know it's kinda sad, but I freakin' love the new fish - especially the shy crab! The animations are great.

The 'shooting gallery' is a waste of time for me though - it's ruined the 'small and cozy' feel of my one-ship discount hanger. Hopefully there will be an option to get rid of it eventually.

As per the last stream this will eventually be moved into a different area when theyve got systems in place to do more with the hangar than duplicate the same room horizontally.

I couldn't resist the Hornet ghost :)

But am I missing something - see screens on everyone turning their ships on, but I get into the cockpit and nothing happens? Plus I see people are talking about flying their ship, how do I do this...feel like such a noob.

You can't (officially) yet, this is just a static hangar module. A dogfighting module with an arena-like set-up for testing flight mechanics will be available in the next couple months

As per the last stream this will eventually be moved into a different area when theyve got systems in place to do more with the hangar than duplicate the same room horizontally.

You can't (officially) yet, this is just a static hangar module. A dogfighting module with an arena-like set-up for testing flight mechanics will be available in the next couple months

Ah sweet, yeah I just watched some of the dogfighting update on the comm-link. I did a search and also found a mod that lets you fly all the different spaceships.

Daedardus

Just a few pics of my hangar - Triple monitor heaven - 5760 x 1080 @ very high:

Can't you use abload or something else without compression? That last one came out pretty terrible at full resolution. But from the looks of it they would be really sexy.

And as for flying away, that requires game engine modifications where you'd need some dev experience for.

LAMBO

Is that 3 hats on the main stick? Sold.

There's so many sticks that look cool but wind up being crap or poorly made and break. Can't go wrong with this one, i don't think there's anything better around at the moment, even the $200+sticks seem to have issues these days.

The good old CH fighterstick

What are you guys using these days?

Top Bottom