• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
At least the publishers will be professional, and for the most part, rational about it. They will also have experience in the medium so will understand the issues, and likely have an education.

My thoughts? We are on PC, go play some of the best games of all time that are, inevitably, in your backlog.

P4ujPav.jpg

My backlog is pretty irrational just on Steam right now and I am about to buy a Wii U lol

Zabojnik

Having even just a small number of the 300k+ backers going berserk on your forums everyday because you pushed one of the modules back or even the game release is probably worse than having a publisher breathing down your neck.

Not really though. Part of the community will bitch and moan about the inevitable delays, but the 'rational' part will push back just as hard and stand beside CIG, as long as they share the logic behind their decisions with the fans, in a prompt and detailed manner. Which is what they've always done so far. Sure, not getting something like the dogfighting module is a bigger deal than, say, going the wrong way about ship insurance or item pricing, but still. A letter from CR, explaining why the delay had to happen, will go a long way towards calming the community.

People tend to forget that this is as much a learning experience for the developers as it is for us backers.

fresquito

I would agree as well. They don't just have to develop the game, they have to hire entire teams to help with this effort. Its going to be a tough job, especially in the beginning where they are still hiring and implementing the framework.

This may sound harsh, but the majority of video game fans are incredibly stupid. Just go browse Steam forums or Youtube sometime. Here is the problem, if you miss the date those posting on the forums are rarely objective and will make a big uproar.
If pCARS forums are any indicator, this will not be the case. In the end, it all depends on how they comunicate with the comunity. If they are clear and treat people like adults, mostly everyone will understand and support There's bound to be some retards, of course, but all comunities have their fair share of those.

I'm willing to think most backers want the best game they can get, even if it means one or two delies.

Grief.exe

If pCARS are any indicator, this will not be the case. In the end, it all depends on how they comunicate with the comunity. If they are clear and treat people like adults, mostly everyone will understand and support There's bound to be some retards, of course, but all comunities have their fair share of those.

I'm willing to think most backers want the best game they can get, even if it means one or two delies.

When is PCars coming to Steam?

So uhh..... the DM is now officially delayed for a few months. CR want's to get it to a very polished state so that it shows off the capabilities and gameplay properly.
I haven't been to the forums yet, but I could imagine a riot going on now.

So uhh..... the DM is now officially delayed for a few months. CR want's to get it to a very polished state so that it shows off the capabilities and gameplay properly.

They seem pretty calm about it. Hasn't exactly reached DayZ levels of waiting yet (and yes, I know that's out now) so I imagine they still have a bit of leeway with the core fans.

MrBig

As long as they don't go dark and continue to do live streams and videos and lore articles, etc, and don't hide behind any PR characters it'll be fine I'm sure. Releasing a playable game in public light, no matter how much you reiterate that it's still in development, rightly invites judgement and criticism - I'd rather keep people viewing SC in a positive light with good releases, because people will never forget if the DF turned out terrible, but in 2015 no one will care that it was late.

Zabojnik

I automatically added one extra year of development the moment they started hinting about late 2014/early 2015 as a possible release date and fully expected the DF module to be delayed by at least 3 months. I'm not happy about it, but what are you gonna do? Post on a forum? Sheesh.

On the bright side ... 2 hour dogfighting livestream on the 20th, woooooo!

fresquito

I'm fine with the delay. I want to play dogfight module, of course, but I think the reasons given are good enough, so I will wait. I'm guessing the new hangar options will deal with weapons use?

velociraptor

At least the publishers will be professional, and for the most part, rational about it. They will also have experience in the medium so will understand the issues, and likely have an education.

My thoughts? We are on PC, go play some of the best games of all time that are, inevitably, in your backlog.

P4ujPav.jpg

This is why I don't buy many games. I've got 12 games on my Steam Backlog at the moment. No idea when I'll finish them.

elyetis

Expected after last stream, yet still heavily disapointed, even more so about the fact he choose to tell us this late ( given the reasons he gave us, the choice has been made for at least a month I think ).
So it went from december to no date at all right ? guess something as far as march now.

Grief.exe

This is why I don't buy many games. I've got 12 games on my Steam Backlog at the moment. No idea when I'll finish them.

I work through it slowly. I have about 25 games in my backlog right now.

I've had this account for 10 years, and I plan on playing games the rest of my life. Its nice to have choices on what to play next.

Zabojnik

Expected after last stream, yet still heavily disapointed, even more so about the fact he choose to tell us this late ( given the reasons he gave us, the choice has been made for at least a month I think ).
So it went from december to no date at all right ? guess something as far as march now.

March / april would be my guess, we'll probably have a clearer picture after the DF livestream on the 20th.

Mindlog

I haven't kept close tabs, but it seems quite a few people anticipated the delay. That's good. I know I did.

Speaking of PC Games.
Remember Space RTS Games?
Wonder what a new Space RTS could look like?

Behold

This is from AMD's Mantle summit which was also attended by CIG. It's not a game, but I would join that Kickstarter.

I, for one, welcome our Space Crab overlords.

Also, the Sq. 42 contest thing had some cool prizes. Must win that Idris-M!

Was amused to see the giant wreathes in the hangar, but sad because my super hornet's turret was stolen :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hornet = Arwing with all those wings blowing off, haha

I think it looks great, even if they have a lot of work to do.

Top Bottom