• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

I wish I could do the same thing with DayZ. Game is great right now, but lacks content.

Would be nice to come back in 4-6 months and see everything they have done, vehicles, weapons, base building, and other features.

I wish I could play DayZ without the risk of other people being around. I know, I know, that's not what most people want. But I enjoy the scavenging and surviving part, and I hate always having to be worried about griefers. If there was a way to play solo without having other people on the server/map, then I would be the standalone in a second.

Grief.exe

I wish I could play DayZ without the risk of other people being around. I know, I know, that's not what most people want. But I enjoy the scavenging and surviving part, and I hate always having to be worried about griefers. If there was a way to play solo without having other people on the server/map, then I would be the standalone in a second.

You can join a near empty server. Though, if you know how to play, you can avoid people entirely.

Stick to the small cities far to the north, hunt for your food, and you can be entirely self-sufficient.

I also wish the game (DayZ) didn't use a clock system tied to the server time. I only get time to play at night, and I hate having to look for a European server with a lot of lag just so I can get some daylight.

Grief.exe

I also wish the game (DayZ) didn't use a clock system tied to the server time. I only get time to play at night, and I hate having to look for a European server with a lot of lag just so I can get some daylight.

You have to try to find a night server right now, there seems to be mainly day servers.

Once they implement chem lights and flares it won't be a big deal anyways.

Brick

So I finally decided that I should join this crazy parade and put down the money for the Aurora LN package. I loaded up the hangar module to take a look around, and I was completely blown away. Even just with the starting hangar and the basic ship, it looks stellar. While it runs well on my current computer, I want this to be unreal. I can't tell you when the last time was that I upgraded my computer to top of the line parts for a single game, but this is going to be one of them.

Coreda

Only tangentially related but re-watched the Starcraft II HotS cinematic trailer and noticed the nice cockpit and ship. The weathered look really suits such fighter-style craft, and the pine freshener dangling from the top is a cute personal touch.

EM4oGbM.jpg

8ZpmZLc.jpg

I haven't really looked into this game too much until last night, but it looks awesome. I'm trying to decide if I want to do the $40 pledge or hold off until later.

Any reason not to hold off? I'm a little confused about how pricing works. Will I pay more later for access?

epmode

I assume that the finished game will cost more than $40 so there's that. It might also be fun to play the dogfighting alpha when it launches three years from now, and alpha slots are limited!

BrettWeir

As I look through the pledge package ships, what makes the Hornets a more expensive investment than the 300 series, Avenger, and Freelancer?

I'm curious, because everywhere I read, it states that the armor sets (etc) on the pledge ships is at most a 2, and you will be upgrading pretty quickly. So why spend $140 on a Hornet F7C-S Ghost, when you can get an Avenger for $75 and retrofit it to be just as stealthy (and more as you progress) as the F7C-S?

Is the Hornet F7C-S (Hornets in general I suppose) going to be a lot harder to obtain? That could justify the price difference I suppose.

Those are the two packages I am looking at, but am having one hell of a time understanding/justifying the dollar difference (not counting UEC's).

MrBig

As I look through the pledge package ships, what makes the Hornets a more expensive investment than the 300 series, Avenger, and Freelancer?

I'm curious, because everywhere I read, it states that the armor sets (etc) on the pledge ships is at most a 2, and you will be upgrading pretty quickly. So why spend $140 on a Hornet F7C-S Ghost, when you can get an Avenger for $75 and retrofit it to be just as stealthy (and more as you progress) as the F7C-S?

Is the Hornet F7C-S (Hornets in general I suppose) going to be a lot harder to obtain? That could justify the price difference I suppose.

Those are the two packages I am looking at, but am having one hell of a time understanding/justifying the dollar difference (not counting UEC's).

Approaching it that way isn't really appropriate - you're donating and getting a ship in return, you're not directly buying a ship and the costs do not represent the personal/economical value or general utility of a ship.

BrettWeir

Approaching it that way isn't really appropriate - you're donating and getting a ship in return, you're not directly buying a ship and the costs do not represent the personal/economical value or general utility of a ship.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the quick reply :) Helped me look at it entirely different. Wasn't viewing the same as a Kickstarter, per se.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
I haven't really looked into this game too much until last night, but it looks awesome. I'm trying to decide if I want to do the $40 pledge or hold off until later.

Any reason not to hold off? I'm a little confused about how pricing works. Will I pay more later for access?

They say the full game will cost around how much we're paying for a AAA game now. So assume it will cost 50-60 retail.

Buying it now is good because if you change your mind and want to get something else later, you can "melt" the purchase and get in store credit. With the credit you can buy something else.

The only way to get the game cheaper would be to wait several months or years after launch (2015) and buy it on steam sale like everything else.

30 bucks is the absolute cheapest to buy the game if you do not want alpha beta access, but i don't know if that package is still around.

BrettWeir

I decided that they needed more money, so I finally jumped on-board with the Hornet F7C-S Ghost package. Had to help reach that $36 mil stretch goal.

Zabojnik

The 'making of the Avenger' feature in the latest Jump Point is fucking brilliant. I love seeing how everything comes together. The details are insane of this thing. Dear Chris Roberts, please have Nathan Dearsley design and model many more ships. Thank you.

Dat aging.

avengeraging.png

Daedardus

36 million and we're not stopping yet.

The 'making of the Avenger' feature in the latest Jump Point is fucking brilliant. I love seeing how everything comes together. The details are insane of this thing. Dear Chris Roberts, please have Nathan Dearsley design and model many more ships. Thank you.

Dat aging.

You'd think that 900 years from now they'd have invented paint that doesn't show any wear.

Zabojnik

36 million and we're not stopping yet.

You'd think that 900 years from now they'd have invented paint that doesn't show any wear.

Pretty sure that's just a shader test on the ship designer's part. The ships will get dirtier as they age for sure, not sure about rust / wear.

I bet there's a lot of happy Freelancer pilots with the redesigned cockpit today! Seems much better than before.

Also, for those who haven't bought in, there's only 15,500 alpha slots left (out of 300k-350k). I would guess that by Feb or March the alpha will be filled.

My roommate got me some SC gear for Christmas too, and I got it last night. Got the MISC goliath mousepad (it hangs over the edge of my desk by about 3 inches because of how massive it is! hah) and got the UEE Marines patch which is going to get sewed onto my Surface case.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I bet there's a lot of happy Freelancer pilots with the redesigned cockpit today! Seems much better than before.

Also, for those who haven't bought in, there's only 15,500 alpha slots left (out of 300k-350k). I would guess that by Feb or March the alpha will be filled.

My roommate got me some SC gear for Christmas too, and I got it last night. Got the MISC goliath mousepad (it hangs over the edge of my desk by about 3 inches because of how massive it is! hah) and got the UEE Marines patch which is going to get sewed onto my Surface case.

REDESIGNED COCKPIT?

CAN I FINALLY SEE OUTSIDE PROPERLY NOW?

-starts up Star Citizen-

MrBig

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13464-Letter-From-The-Chairman-36-Million
FreelancerMIS-DUR_CockpitView_OptA_Hobbins.png

At $36 million, you’ve unlocked the first of the backer-voted systems, Tamsa:

Tamsa System – Located near the fringe of Banu space, Tamsa System features a massive central star that has collapsed into a black hole. Only two planets remain in the system, a chthonian world and a gas giant located far from the black hole’s event horizon.

For the $38 million goal, your votes have selected the “fully aquatic planet” option. Here’s the description of the system we’re creating based on your input:

Cano System is home to a G-Type Main Sequence Star that’s almost identical to Earth’s. Of the four planets in the system, only one is inhabited: Carteyna. Located on the edge of habitable zone, Carteyna is a classic waterworld. Fortunately, its planetary axis constantly keeps the northern hemisphere away from the sun, which allowed for the water to freeze into the landmasses used as the initial landing zones in 2587. Multiple attempts have been made to try to convert the thick atmosphere into something breathable, but the process never seemed to stick. In fact, over the years, every time there’s a new technological development in geo-engineering, they test it out here on Carteyna only to yield the same result. Almost fifty years ago, scientists discovered microscopic organisms in the very early phases of life in the depths of the oceans. This caused a massive uproar throughout the UEE at the prospect that they had been attempting to terraform a developing world. Carteyna was immediately placed under the Fair Chance Act. Unfortunately, Humans had been living here for almost over three hundred years and the families that had been here for generations felt that they had earned rights as residents. After years of debate in the political and scientific community, the population was allowed to stay, but only under certain conditions: future terraforming attempts have been outlawed and the Human population has been consolidated to a single arcology to minimize their impact on their environment and the development of whatever species is growing in the deep.

Be sure and vote for the penultimate backer-decided system in the poll located below. Remember, these options just represent a small portion of what the additional budget allows us to do with Star Citizen!

RAIDEN1

Edge Online recently re-posted their 1994 review of Super Wing Commander for the 3DO..anyone here a fan of that game?

Daedardus

They keep redesigning and redesigning the ships. While I certainly like the improvement, I hope they know when to stop though. But I guess they need to find a use for all the money somehow.

That dirty old ship looks much nicer than the clean version of the same imo

Hopefully I can have a dingy old banger who's performance isn't affected by its age

derFeef

They keep redesigning and redesigning the ships. While I certainly like the improvement, I hope they know when to stop though. But I guess they need to find a use for all the money somehow.

It's getting a bit ridiculous, we have seen almost nothing of flying ships, stations, combat.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's getting a bit ridiculous, we have seen almost nothing of flying ships, stations, combat.

Modelers don't work on the actual game mechanics, they work on models. So unless you'd like them to fire all the modellers and artists after finishing their first pass on the ships then letting them continuously tinker and refine the ships is probably fine.

derFeef

Modelers don't work on the actual game mechanics, they work on models. So unless you'd like them to fire all the modellers and artists after finishing their first pass on the ships then letting them continuously tinker and refine the ships is probably fine.

I understand that, guess I am starving for some new footage, as I am also surprised by what Elite put out.

epmode

Elite looks so much better than I expected it would. I'm really excited about getting into the beta.

Star Citizen's dogfighting alpha is a few months away at least. I'm concerned about the outsourcing of important game components to otherwise mediocre studios but I suppose it's unfair to judge them too harshly when they haven't had a chance to prove themselves. And it shouldn't affect the dogfighting module since that's being done almost exclusively by Cloud Imperium.

..but I'm a little concerned about the final game being pieced together like this.

I understand that, guess I am starving for some new footage, as I am also surprised by what Elite put out.

Elite has been in the making for long before Star Citizen has been. I don't know the exact timeframe, but David Braben's been kicking around and working on Elite on the backburner for some time now despite not being able to obtain full funding for it. It was already near alpha when its campaign ran, while Star Citizen really had nothing more than a barebones prototype.

Daedardus

Most of AAA games nowadays outsource their asset work to even cheaper Chinese and Indian studios. As long as CIG does the quality control it should be fine. I hope...

I also hope the dogfighting module won't be delayed for too long. And that's only because I want the planetside more than anything else. In addition to a upgraded hangar module. But I'm sure it will come eventually :).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Elite has been in the making for long before Star Citizen has been. I don't know the exact timeframe, but David Braben's been kicking around and working on Elite on the backburner for some time now despite not being able to obtain full funding for it. It was already near alpha when its campaign ran, while Star Citizen really had nothing more than a barebones prototype.

Braben also had a development studio up and running, production pipelines and all that ready to go. Chris has had to build Cloud Imperium and all it's satellite studios from scratch while working on the game.

derFeef

Fair enough. I was not critizing their work by any means, sorry if that came across like that. The pushing back of the dogfighting module and lack of new things (to me at least) recently are too much for my space game hungry brain.

Blizzard

Banned
I would -think- there are a lot of other things that could be modeled (say, a bunch of space stations and their internals), but maybe they don't want to even start that until they decide which ones to use.

I am also a bit concerned about polycount and performance if they spend forever making the outsides of ships that you will normally be sitting inside or viewing from a distance. Unless they expect you to fly in third-person view. :p

Daedardus

KKRT00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtyZzO5OrE0&feature=player_detailpage#t=357

Have You heard this?!

Chris Robert thinking about ability to turn off artificial gravity on ships, so when in mid FPS combat You will be able to thrown into zero G!
They are also implementing magnetic boots and i with CryEngine physics affecting everything i can see situation when a group with magnetic boots is turning off gravity and then throw a grenade that push and spin around everybody at walls etc

Daedardus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtyZzO5OrE0&feature=player_detailpage#t=357

Have You heard this?!

Chris Robert thinking about ability to turn off artificial gravity on ships, so when in mid FPS combat You will be able to thrown into zero G!
They are also implementing magnetic boots and i with CryEngine physics affecting everything i can see situation when a group with magnetic boots is turning off gravity and then throw a grenade that push and spin around everybody at walls etc

That would actually rip your legs out of your hip joints when wearing magnetic boots. I don't think magnetic boots are such a good idea anyway in a realistic manner. They'd need to have a good mechanism that lowers the magnetic strength when you want to lift your leg up. Either you're going to be dangling on one foot or you muscles need to exert way too much force on the boots. But, hey, this is science fiction after all!

androvsky

It could be easily controlled by mind. We already have mind and muscle controlled prosthesis, let alone 300 years from now :)

Or pressure sensors in the top inside of the boot, so when you lift your foot relative to the boot it turns down the magnets in that boot. The magnets would have some power all the time, but when the boot detects it's made contact with a surface it can turn up the power.

Top Bottom