• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star exhibits strange light patterns which could be a sign of alien activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haroon

Ugh. Headache material. How do we know that it was ever fuzzy then? I tried to read up on this once, and should probably give it another go. I envy the people that can make sense of this stuff.

If you are truly interested in learning more, and you have free time to read a book. I recommend the book 'An Elegant Universe'. It will provide you with some background information on Physics, and it dwells into Quantum Physics as well. You don't need to know much to understand it, and Brian Greene does a terrific job at explaining it.

If you are truly interested in learning more, and you have free time to read a book. I recommend the book 'An Elegant Universe'. It will provide you with some background information on Physics, and it dwells into Quantum Physics as well. You don't need to know much to understand it, and Brian Greene does a terrific job at explaining it.
That book was amazing. Fabric of the Cosmos was also a great one from Brian Greene.

SkyOdin

Wouldn't it be easier to colonise other planets and harvest the energy from other stars?

Building a dyson sphere or something like it seems like overkill in a galaxy teeming with stars. Unless space travel really is unrealistic.

Well, it is an absolutely mind-blowing amount of energy. Our Sun outputs 3.8x10^26 Joules of energy every second. For comparison's sake, the combined fossil fuel resources of the Earth only add up to about 3.9x10^22 Joules of energy. So over the course of a day, the Sun generates a billion times as much energy as we will ever be able to extract from fossil fuels on the Earth.

In other words, the amount of energy generated by the Sun is enough that each second it produces enough energy to sustain our world's current energy usage for more than half a million years. Even 22% of that energy is difficult to wrap your mind around. And a Dyson sphere pretty much by definition the most efficient method of harvest energy from a star. You don't even need complete coverage in order to reap massive gains. The Earth after all only receives a tiny fraction of a percent of the light generated by the Sun, yet it is enough to sustain all life as we know it.

Gnome

Wouldn't it be easier to colonise other planets and harvest the energy from other stars?

Building a dyson sphere or something like it seems like overkill in a galaxy teeming with stars. Unless space travel really is unrealistic.

Could be that a dyson sphere is required to extract enough energy to create a wormhole for interstellar travel. Conventional space travel without a wormhole is definitely unrealistic if we are correct about the speed of light, there is a lot of space out there.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Person who made the 20% of our sun being covered post: amazing! Even after I posted that pie chart I couldn't really grasp that we are talking about something 100s of Jupiters in size.

2. A lot of people discussing Dyson Spheres and Dyson Rings in a way that suggests they'd be right up next to the star, like Mercury close. I don't think we should limit our thinking -- I always pictured something far far farther out in a star's Oort Cloud range.

3. Speaking of Oort Clouds and Dyson Spheres -- anyone ever thought of pointing out satellites at potentially hospitable planets to see if we can find a cloud of satellites like we have?

4. To the honest fellow asking about why looking at a star is looking into the past, and to the many people finding ever more difficult ways of explaining it: simplify.

Look at the sun. The light from the sun takes 8 minutes to get here. If there was a light switch, and someone turned off the sun, we wouldn't know for 8 minutes. That means the sunlight you feel is 8 minutes old, and the sun you see in the sky is 8 minutes older.

Now imagine a sun much much farther. All the stars in the sky are hundreds and thousands of light years away. Looking at them is literally looking at the past. It's awesome.

Branduil

1. Person who made the 20% of our sun being covered post: amazing! Even after I posted that pie chart I couldn't really grasp that we are talking about something 100s of Jupiters in size.

2. A lot of people discussing Dyson Spheres and Dyson Rings in a way that suggests they'd be right up next to the star, like Mercury close. I don't think we should limit our thinking -- I always pictured something far far farther out in a star's Oort Cloud range.

Not much point in building it so far away when a close-range sphere would provide exponentially more energy.

Jonm1010

Banned
I Still struggle with those thinking aliens would be hostile. I can't imagine you get to be an ultra intelligent species by operating In a destructive way on a massive scale. Without a sense of strong empathy and respect for your planet and its balance you'd likely destroy your own species or the planet you are inhabiting long before becoming a galactic force.

whipihguh

Banned
I Still struggle with those thinking aliens would be hostile. I can't imagine you get to be an ultra intelligent species by operating In a destructive way on a massive scale. Without a sense of strong empathy and respect for your planet and its balance you'd likely destroy your own species or the planet you are inhabiting long before becoming a galactic force.

Any aliens that would want to destroy us or any other primitive civilization would have to be some real, Grade-A dickheads, since there really is no reason for them to kill anyone. They would have to really go out of their way to fuck our shit up. Almost any species you would encounter would be too far away to pose any real threat, and most importantly, for what possible reason would they want to destroy us, beyond the fact that we simply exist?

I mean, if there was an advanced alien civilization at this star, we clearly pose no threat, and it's likely that they aren't even aware of our existence even if they are there, just due to how primitive our tech is. Any species with a Dyson Swarm wouldn't need any of the resources here, since it would be easier to literally go anywhere else.

Really, once you get to that level of tech(and ignore other possible threats like Beserker probes) there's little need for war, even if you're quite warlike as we are. It serves no purpose whatsoever.

War would really go obsolete at that point, even if such a species were hostile. The only way any species that even was hostile enough to go out of their way to kill each other or any other living species in the galaxy is if they had an undying appetite for murder or an extreme sense of paranoia, and like you said, any species that was too hostile likely wouldn't have been able to build up the civilization needed to become a greater galactic force.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
They would have to really go out of their way to fuck our shit up.

Aliens with the capacity to build and run a Dyson level energy harvesting system has the resources such that they wouldn't really be going out of their way at all. It would take very little energy and technology wise to wipe out all of humanity relative to the resources at their command.

Almost any species you would encounter would be too far away to pose any real threat, and most importantly, for what possible reason would they want to destroy us, beyond the fact that we simply exist?

Their culture, reasoning, and rationale would literally be alien to the point where it is difficult to comprehend the options. While you'd hope there is a tendency for intelligence to arrive at a state of enlightened empathy, its probably also possible for advanced civilizations to exist in extremely practical, utilitarian models or something we'd consider somewhat sociopathic.

Wiping out humanity might be considered preventative medicine. Or just collateral damage in their building a Dyson sphere around our own star.

I have no real opinion on what is "likely" in terms of alien attitudes, though I lean heavily optimistic. I'm much more excited about the prospect of discovering alien life at all than I am worried about the possible implications.

Yagharek

Aliens with the capacity to build and run a Dyson level energy harvesting system has the resources such that they wouldn't really be going out of their way at all. It would take very little energy and technology wise to wipe out all of humanity relative to the resources at their command.

Their culture, reasoning, and rationale would literally be alien to the point where it is difficult to comprehend the options. While you'd hope there is a tendency for intelligence to arrive at a state of enlightened empathy, its probably also possible for advanced civilizations to exist in extremely practical, utilitarian models or something we'd consider somewhat sociopathic.

Wiping out humanity might be considered preventative medicine. Or just collateral damage in their building a Dyson sphere around our own star.

On the flip side, an alien civilisation technologically advanced enough to wipe out entire civilisations via geo or solar system engineering would also have the ability and options to avoid doing so.

Our star, for instance, is relatively common. Our solar system is comprised of relatively common resources. There is simply no need for an alien civilisation to enter our system for resources when they are in absolute abundance throughout the galaxy.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Our star, for instance, is relatively common. Our solar system is comprised of relatively common resources. There is simply no need for an alien civilisation to enter our system for resources when they are in absolute abundance throughout the galaxy.

Well, unless they want ALL the energy in the galaxy.

aliengmr

Still not convinced this is unnatural. The reality is there are plenty of naturally occurring phenomena in the universe that could block out 20% of a star.

My first thought was planetary impact of some sort, and that is what I am sticking to.

Did you even bother reading the paper?

Still not convinced this is unnatural. The reality is there are plenty of naturally occurring phenomena in the universe that could block out 20% of a star.

My first thought was planetary impact of some sort, and that is what I am sticking to.

Pretty sure this has been ruled out as it would have created a unique and recognizable IR signature.

aliengmr

Pretty sure this has been ruled out as it would have created a unique and recognizable IR signature.

Nothing was ruled out. An exo-comet was the preferred solution.

Did you even bother reading the paper?

Yes I did. A planetary collision is mentioned as being a possibility. Though I meant it in a more vague sense that something was broken up or destroyed.

More to the point however, unless we get a signal, its not aliens.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Yeah I don't know. Can you apply this maxim to any species we know of? Are fire ants protecting their colony from other species they don't understand 'hostile?' Sharks? Bears? Is the frog that zaps the fly that was buzzing around its head hostile?

And frankly, can't we apply the opposite -- open hostility to itself and everything else on the planet -- to the only species we know capable of spaceflight (humanity)?

I don't think there's some magical moment where humanity, or any other space-faring species, suddenly looks up and sees the majesty of their existence and suddenly changes the instincts that got them there.

So while you might very well be correct -- that a civilization / species / culture capable of building a structure so large as to blot out 25% of a star's light might be benevolent -- it's just as likely they could take minute steps that wipe out all of humanity without a second thought, and perhaps they think it a kindness. Or perhaps this civilization isn't a civilization at all and just another species trying to protect itself, impervious to our ideas of hostility.

Like Sagan said, perhaps we should think and watch for a bit and get our bearings before shouting into a jungle we do not understand.

Like Sagan said, perhaps we should think and watch for a bit and get our bearings before shouting into a jungle we do not understand.

No one is shouting. At least not anymore than usual since we began leaking radio waves into space. All we're doing is listening. We have over a thousand years before evidence of our existence is detectable by any possible civilization orbiting that star.

No one is shouting. At least not anymore than usual since we began leaking radio waves into space. All we're doing is listening. We have over a thousand years before evidence of our existence is detectable by any possible civilization orbiting that star.
This has been a great thread to watch and a fun story to watch develop.

But about "shouting"... when I learned that "we" responded to the Wow! signal 35 years hence by mining Twitter tweets and then beaming 10,000 of them back in the direction from where we heard the 1977 signal I truly felt at the time and now, that it was one of the stupidest and most careless things I've ever heard scientists do (in recent times, of course). Not only did I personally see it as shouting but I imagined it as us fucking mooning and pressing our collective balls against the spaceship window, which my brother told me the kids call a "fruit salad".

Responding to the Wow! signal that way made me so sour on social media in science, even though that is such a huge thing to the sciences at the moment. I still feel like we could have done worse - but we couldn't have done TOO much worse.

gutshot

Jason Wright, the astronomer behind the extraterrestrials theory, has posted a blog post due to the increasing media coverage surrounding his hypothesis.

Interestingly, I had been working on a paper about detecting transiting megastructures with Kepler. The idea is that if advanced alien civilizations build planet-sized megastructures — solar panels, ring worlds, telescopes, beacons, whatever — Kepler might be able to distinguish them from planets. Luc Arnold wrote a nice paper about this, and I was turning my blog post on the topic into a proper journal article.

One of the things that occurred to me is that a civilization that would build one megastructure would eventually build more. The star might be surrounded by them (a Dyson swarm). What would that look like?

If they were small, it might be a flickering, or even just a general dimming. But if they were very large, you would get dips. It would look maybe like Kenworthy and Mamajek’s giant ring system, but without the obvious symmetries.

I found Tabby’s star to be inexplicable, so I contacted Andrew Siemion at the Berkeley SETI Research Center. I told him we had a very strange star, and how does one go about doing a radio SETI search?

Andrew was initially skeptical, but he quickly agreed that this is a great target. He, Tabby, some of the PlanetHunters, and I put in a Green Bank Telescope proposal to do a classical, radio-SETI search (à la Contact), and I went to work on my paper.

Then a few things happened. First, Tabby’s team published up KIC8462852 (that’s the name of the star) with the appropriate subtitle “Where’s the Flux?” (we call it “the WTF star” internally, although I more commonly call it “Tabby’s star” or “LGM-2”.).

This is such a cool object. I really want to know what’s going on. Kudos to the whole PlanetHunters team for such an amazing find.

Tabby’s team tentatively settles on a plausible but contrived natural explanation for it: a swarm of comets recently perturbed by the passage of a nearby star. I would put low odds on that being the right answer, but it’s the best one I’ve seen so far (and much more likely than aliens, I’d say). If I had to guess I’d say the star is young, despite all appearances. I can’t back that up.

Anyway, a few weeks later, Andrew gave some congressional testimony, and while down there met Ross Andersen of the Atlantic. Andrew told Ross about Tabby’s star, Ross interviewed Tabby, then Ross interviewed me (we know each other from an earlier story), and then Ross wrote up an article about Tabby’s star. Ross’s story is well written and plays up the megastructure angle in a compelling way.

The internet went aflutter. I’m glad for Phil Plait’s sober take — he gets it just right. The British tabloids did their predictable thing (I won’t link — they couldn’t even be bothered to get my name right, much less convey the proper sense of proportion). And it’s all still taking off.

He also went ahead and published his paper on the subject, despite it not being accepted just yet: http://arxiv.org/abs/1510.04606

We have in KIC 8462 a system with all of the hallmarks
of a Dyson swarm (Section 2.1.3): aperiodic events of almost
arbitrary depth, duration, and complexity. Historically,
targeted SETI has followed a reasonable strategy of
spending its most intense efforts on the most promising
targets. Given this object’s qualitative uniqueness, given
that even contrived natural explanations appear inadequate,
and given predictions that Kepler would be able
to detect large alien megastructures via anomalies like
these, we feel is the most promising stellar SETI target
discovered to date. We suggest that KIC 8462 warrants
significant interest from SETI in addition to traditional
astrophysical study, and that searches for similar, less
obvious objects in the Kepler data set are a compelling
exercise

Ethelwulf

One of the authors of the paper said this on a recent interview:

“It’s kind of funny, I don’t really know how this ended up going from weird dips in a light curve to alien structures,” Kepler scientist Steve Howell told Mashable in an interview.

“The alien hypothesis should be a last resort. Something we consider for fun rather than out of seriousness,” MIT exoplanet scientist Sara Seager told Mashable in an email.

Source

I knew it and called it. Journalism at its best.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
We should build some of those proposed nuclear-bomb powered ships and strap a few really huge nukes to them for when they reach their destination. Though it might take some tens of thousands of years to get there, if there is anything alive back there, then surely they'd notice the arrival of the nukes (hopefully they'd survive the transit and be functional) and send some ships back to investigate.

Seth Shostak, Senior Astronomer at the SETI Institute has a blog post about this which mentions a bit about what they are doing at the moment.

Since October 16, the SETI institute has been using its Allen Telescope Array to observe KIC 846 2852 over a wide range of radio frequencies (1 to 10 GHz), looking for any artificial signals. Keep in mind that this star system is relatively far, roughly 1400 light-years away. That's more distant than the Orion Nebula, and getting there (if you feel the need) would require a 23 million year ride in our fastest rocket. But more to the point, any signals detectable here on Earth would have to be exceptionally powerful.

We're continuing to analyze the data. In another week, our SETI team will once again observe KIC 846 2852 using some new receivers being affixed to the Allen Array - known as Antonio feeds - that will increase the sensitivity by a factor of two. Check this space.

Meanwhile, consider KIC 846 2852 as something suggestive of cosmic company, but no more than a suggestion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-shostak/alien-engineering-around_b_8353762.html

SkyOdin

One of the authors of the paper said this on a recent interview:

Source

I knew it and called it. Journalism at its best.

They aren't saying anything that the original article didn't say. The article that started all of this made it pretty clear that there was no solid proof that it was a megastructure. In fact, it even listed out some of the alternatives. So the article you posted doesn't really add much in the way of new or more correct information, it just adds a strong layer of skepticism over the information we already knew. It is also worth pointing out that, despite the headline in the article you linked, the possibility of an alien megastructure has yet to be ruled out by more evidence.

The original article made it pretty clear that it was only a very slim possibility that we might have discovered an alien megastructure. But even though it is just a slim possibility, it is still something exciting.

So are there any images of this star? I'm curious to know what everyone's looking at.
From what I've read, they (the ones looking into this) put in a request for time with a major telescope to focus it there and take a good look. Should happen next year, if they are granted access. Someone correct me.

Monocle

I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's definitely the Grays' home system, specifically. But I'm not saying it's aliens.

So are there any images of this star? I'm curious to know what everyone's looking at.
star_alien_dips.png.CROP.original-original.png

This is the "imagery" used for "looking" at stars far away. Light from there is way too dim to analyze or often even see with the naked eye.

Any deep astronomy done today is basically spectography, i.e. using instruments to study wavelengths and intensity of various electromagnetic radiation.

Building a structure to block 20% of the sun would require self-sustaining machines. It's plausible.

Now do those machines have biological masters controlling them or are they the dominant intelligence?

Because it's the most unlikely answer. You don't start at a conclusion and work backwards, you work forward from your data.

Why is it the most unlikely answer? That seems like an awfully definite, unscientific statement to make.

We have no actual way to determine that it is unlikely, and the answer denoted "likely" is described as contrived, so it is just another possibility that fits the data. We have no way to compare likelihoods, so it is irrational to apply them.

All we can do, with this data, is speculate. Can't get blood from a turnip.

Skinpop

Why is it the most unlikely answer? That seems like an awfully definite, unscientific statement to make.

We have no actual way to determine that it is unlikely, and the answer denoted "likely" is described as contrived, so it is just another possibility that fits the data. We have no way to compare likelihoods, so it is irrational to apply them.

yeah I think so too. we have no idea of whether aliens are likely or not. I think they say so just because saying aliens seem unprofessional or something.

It's most unlikely because it's dependent upon the existence of a super advanced intelligent species. Considering we've observed no evidence of life anywhere outside of this planet, that is asking a lot. Other hypothesized causes have roots in observed phenomena.

It's less likely because there is no evidence that life exists anywhere else in the universe, and we can only rely on probability for our speculation on whether it does. Probability isn't evidence. Because of that, I would argue that it is much more likely that our eventual explanation to be one that is not artificial in nature, but of some other naturally occurring phenomenon. It's not the exact same, but the first time we detected pulsars it was thought that we were observing a artificial phenomenon as well.

Could it be super intelligent species? Sure. But that requires a lot more gets than the alternatives.

As a scientist, which I am, Occam's Razor is your best friend. I

Crispy75

Right now the bottleneck for technological progress is the human brain itself. If we can automate intelligence and especially if we can do so at faster than realtime progress will inevitably skyrocket. We are only one invention away from getting a perpendicular line on the graph of progress, and that invention is our final invention, Artificial General Intelligence. If the nature of intelligence is understood, and a theory surrounding it and how to engineer entities exhibiting it and increasing in capability, the doors are open.

The bottleneck is not how fast we think, but how long it takes to implement our ideas in the real world. Science requires experiments and experiments take time to build and run. Thinking about them faster isn't going to change that much.

It's most unlikely because it's dependent upon the existence of a super advanced intelligent species. Considering we've observed no evidence of life anywhere outside of this planet, that is asking a lot. Other hypothesized causes have roots in observed phenomena.

It's less likely because there is no evidence that life exists anywhere else in the universe, and we can only rely on probability for our speculation on whether it does. Probability isn't evidence. Because of that, I would argue that it is much more likely that our eventual explanation to be one that is not artificial in nature, but of some other naturally occurring phenomenon. It's not the exact same, but the first time we detected pulsars it was thought that we were observing a artificial phenomenon as well.

Could it be super intelligent species? Sure. But that requires a lot more gets than the alternatives.

But the exocomet explanation is an admitted contrivance, not an observed phenomenon. It is just a possibility put forward, unless they have cases of similar spectrographic dips known to be caused by exocomets.

Your statement "Other hypothesized causes have roots in observed phenomena," doesn't make a case against the possibility of this being artificial. Life is an observed phenomenon, so how is more of a stretch to say "life elsewhere may have done this" versus "comets elsewhere may have done this"?

For the intermittent pulsar signals, was artificial origin considered definite or just presented as a possibility among others? You are presenting that like it suggests some folly on researchers at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom