• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star exhibits strange light patterns which could be a sign of alien activity

Status
Not open for further replies.
if aliens had the tech and knowledge to build those large structures a long time ago, why were they not able to see us while we can see them or at least know of this star's existence ?

If they were looking at us somehow right now all they would see is a small planet orbiting a pretty average Sun. Maybe they have the ability to detect life on planets. But 5th century humans aren't going to look very interesting to anyone from 1480 light years away.

MrBigBoy

egyptian-pyramids-hero-H.jpeg

It all makes sense!
Several proponents of ancient astronauts claim that the Great Pyramid of Giza was constructed by extraterrestrial beings, or influenced by them (e.g., through their advanced technology).[22] Proponents include Erich von Däniken, Robert Charroux, W. Raymond Drake, and Zecharia Sitchin. According to Erich Von Däniken, the Great Pyramid has advanced numerological properties which could not have been known to the ancient Egyptians and so must have been passed down by extraterrestrials
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramidology#Ancient_astronauts

Time to read more into pyramidology.

dabig2

So what you're saying is we've got some time to prepare...

Unless they've already been here before or at least are aware of planet #214245 in their star system has the capacity to support intelligent carbon-based lifeforms.

So, kinda like what we do now but only with much more sophisticated technology to make measurements and compile data/simulations

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Even if it doesn't turn out to be an alien structure, it's still exciting because it can be some new natural space phenomenon that we have never seen before.

Part of me is hoping it's an alien structure, though, the shitstorm that would cause.

Even if it doesn't turn out to be an alien structure, it's still exciting because it can be some new natural space phenomenon that we have never seen before.

Part of me is hoping it's an alien structure, though, the shitstorm that would cause.
I'm pretty sure by now if you told the world we are not alone, billions of voices in unison would say "no shit".

Error

I'm pretty sure by now if you told the world we are not alone, billions of voices in unison would say "no shit".

Yes, I think everyone knows that there's alien life simply because the universe is too vast to think otherwise.

But actual irrefutable proof, that not only is there's life but that they are so advanced compared to us that they can build these enormous structures that block light from a star. Come on... no way to downplay it, a discovery like that would be huge, really really huge.

Yes, I think everyone knows that there's alien life simply because the universe is too vast to think otherwise.

But actual irrefutable proof, that not only is there's life but that they are so advanced compared to us that they can build these enormous structures that block light from a star. Come on... no way to downplay it, a discovery like that would be huge, really really huge.
It would be. But "shitstorm" implies something other than excitement or awe. Poor choice of word, perhaps?

n0razi

Yes please

Mass_Relay_Loading_Screen.png

Error

It would be. But "shitstorm" implies something other than excitement or awe. Poor choice of word, perhaps?
Not really, I think you are downplaying the importance of this. Suddenly, if this is confirmed, we aren't the masters of the universe anymore. Knowing that there's a super advanced alien civilization out there would definitely scare some people.

Humans has always thought there's nothing greater than us, in terms of living beings and technologically advancements and that makes us feel 'safe' (threats of war or terrorism aside but that's mostly in-fighting among us I meant actual external living threats) I mean as a species we feel superior to every living thing on the planet and in the vicinity of our system, what if suddenly that's not so true?

Maybe I'm being a overdramatic with this stuff, but if some people fear a zombie apocalypse, imagine if something like this is confirmed.

I'm hoping it's some alien stuff (though it's most likely some natural space phenomenon), being alive at the time something like this is confirmed would be incredible.

raphier

Banned

It would be like if existence of god was confirmed. The shitstorm it would cause if jesus landed from the skies, the end of the world panic, mass suicides, faith conversion events.

I think alien lifeform is comparable to that. Fear and panic. "aliens not welcome"

Not really, I think you are downplaying the importance of this. Suddenly, if this is confirmed, we aren't the masters of the universe anymore. Knowing that there's a super advanced alien civilization out there would definitely scare some people.

Humans has always thought there's nothing greater than us, in terms of living beings and technologically advancements and that makes us feel 'safe' (threats of war or terrorism aside but that's mostly in-fighting among us I meant actual external living threats) I mean as a species we feel superior to every living thing on the planet and in the vicinity of our system, what if suddenly that's not so true?

Maybe I'm being a overdramatic with this stuff, but if some people fear a zombie apocalypse, imagine if something like this is confirmed.

I'm hoping it's some alien stuff (though it's most likely some natural space phenomenon), being alive at the time something like this is confirmed would be incredible.

It would be like if existence of god was confirmed. The shitstorm it would cause if jesus landed from the skies, the end of the world panic, mass suicides, faith conversion events.

I think alien lifeform is comparable to that. Fear and panic. "aliens not welcome"
Disagree with both of you.

This would be a huge event for humankind but I believe the world would accept it quite readily. Plenty of excitement, yes, a shitstorm? No. An overwhelming majority of people are open to the idea already, not to mention most of that group already believes.

If you are listening to the radio or TV and someone says something to validate what you believe... Do you start a shitstorm over it? Or do you feel excited, validated, accepted, etc?

Too many people believe or are open to the idea to cause a shitstorm. The world is not as negative as you seem to believe. People would be fine with it. Again, unprecedented and people would go nuts in a good way, but definitely not something to cause a "shitstorm" over.

Jonm1010

Banned
Disagree with both of you.

This would be a huge event for humankind but I believe the world would accept it quite readily. Plenty of excitement, yes, a shitstorm? No. An overwhelming majority of people are open to the idea already, not to mention most of that group already believes.

If you are listening to the radio or TV and someone says something to validate what you believe... Do you start a shitstorm over it? Or do you feel excited, validated, accepted, etc?

Too many people believe or are open to the idea to cause a shitstorm. The world is not as negative as you seem to believe. People would be fine with it. Again, unprecedented and people would go nuts in a good way, but definitely not something to cause a "shitstorm" over.

Hmmm, I think corners of the world with very strict religious cultures would probably react in some less then stellar ways. Be it through denialism or culture shock. How that shock would manifest itself I'm not certain. But when your entire view of the universe is your species at the center of it and the superior species it will have some interesting effects.

Take for instance strict evangelical Christian cultures where God is the designer and made the world a few thousand years ago. Now imagine we have fairly definitive proof of a more advanced civilization. They may be able to deny the timeline but how do they react to their existence? What direction does a religious sect like that take and push into their followers?

I don't think be meant "shitstorm" in a negative sense. But I mean you are talking about a culture that goes bananas about a politician getting a blowjob. People would go crazy over an alien structure.

Hmmm, I think corners of the world with very strict religious cultures would probably react in some less then stellar ways. Be it through denialism or culture shock. How that shock would manifest itself I'm not certain. But when your entire view of the universe is your species at the center of it and the superior species it will have some interesting effects.

Take for instance strict evangelical Christian cultures where God is the designer and made the world a few thousand years ago. Now imagine we have fairly definitive proof of a more advanced civilization. They may be able to deny the timeline but how do they react to their existence? What direction does a religious sect like that take and push into their followers?

My thinking as well, the middle east would shit itself. Not like it isn't already chaos over there, but it wouldn't help things either. I think some people tend to think due to the techno bubble they live in that everybody else is a part of that spectrum, and that religion is dying en masse, when the reality is there are a shit load of devout people out there whose belief systems would be rocked heavily by such a confirmation. This whole hand holding everybody's gonna come together and embrace this seems far fetched, there will be cultural quakes for sure.

Oh I think there will be people who aren't ready to accept it, but a few buckets of water in the ocean won't cause a shitstorm. The majority of people aren't so readily on edge as some would believe. Most are looking, open and hoping to find out we are not alone.

liquidtmd

Banned

GAF would...find a way

RobertM

the rapid cultural shift of such a finding would be bumpy as fuck
I wonder how the government would handle this situation. We are fucked if advanced civilization comes in conflict with us.

I was thinking whether if it was some sort debree that was getting in the way of the light, but I'll go with a mishapen moon idea.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Triangular shaped object pattern!? I thought the spikes looked strange.

I'm guessing this is a starport with some Super Star Destroyers.

Anyone see the mathematical estimate that one of these stars will be located within a hundred light years of us? Hold onto your butts.

Jonm1010

Banned
Oh I think there will be people who aren't ready to accept it, but a few buckets of water in the ocean won't cause a shitstorm. The majority of people aren't so readily on edge as some would believe. Most are looking, open and hoping to find out we are not alone.

I don't know. I also could see American Conservatives going ape shit about the dangers of an advanced military civilization and advocating insane military defense build ups out of concern. The military industrial complex interests feeding into it for their own gain and some pretty crazy beliefs about how to respond politically to this.

akira28

well I guess a bunch of nano created space tetras would be the most effective shape to use for your dyson swarm

I don't know. I also could see American Conservatives going ape shit about the dangers of an advanced military civilization and advocating insane military defense build ups out of concern. The military industrial complex interests feeding into it for their own gain and some pretty crazy beliefs about how to respond politically to this.

Well if it means finally giving nasa a goddamned budget, maybe that's not such a bad thing

Jonm1010

Banned
Well if it means finally giving nasa a goddamned budget, maybe that's not such a bad thing

I definitely think it would make that part a lot more politically feasible.

Would be hard for either party to deny funding to investigate strong evidence of an advanced alien civilization.

Bold One

Maybe this is where the 'WOW' signal came from?

A Dyson sphere just seems too implausible, the amount materials required to cover even 5% of the star would be staggering

Sapiens

Maybe this is where the 'WOW' signal came from?

A Dyson sphere just seems too implausible, the amount materials required to cover even 5% of the star would be staggering

The "wow" signal is now considered a non-factor. From what I've read, had that signal been picked up by modern radio telescope techniques, it would have been disregarded pretty quickly.

I definitely think it would make that part a lot more politically feasible.

Would be hard for either party to deny funding to investigate strong evidence of an advanced alien civilization.

We'd see the strongest push from Republicans to increase NASA's budget (and the DoD's separate space blackops projects), as militarization of space would become an inevitability. Whether or not they actually believed in a military threat from said civilization, it'd be a good excuse for them to hand out more military contracts.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
We'd see the strongest push from Republicans to increase NASA's budget (and the DoD's separate space blackops projects), as militarization of space would become an inevitability. Whether or not they actually believed in a military threat from said civilization, it'd be a good excuse for them to hand out more military contracts.

Nah, doesn't fit their narrative. They'd say the Democrast are making the US less safe because of some little green men thousands of years away while China readies to take over the US.

sinxtanx

I'm just imagining the weeks of unstoppable celebration and debauchery a confirmation of intelligent extraterrestrial life would bring

Unai

Christian cultures would only say that "The House of my Father has many rooms" and move on, or something like that. They would still believe that God created everything, aliens included.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Christian cultures would only say that "The House of my Father has many rooms" and move on, or something like that. They would still believe that God created everything, aliens included.

Sure, but like dino bones it makes religion less and less believable.

Ha. Yeah. Let's completely ignore the religions of any potential civilizations outside of earth, because we definitely got it down, despite our religions making no mention of any other intelligent life out there.

What's missing in these scenarios and "what ifs" are actual experiences. Imagine sitting down with an alien or going to an alien's world and learning their culture.

Sure, you can just continuously say "God included these aliens in our master plan" but just think of how much religion has changed from thinking the universe literally revolves around us because God loves us so much, to being just another rock that managed to get life rolling.

And as someone mentioned, imagine how much religions changed once dino bones were discovered, then the age of the earth, the vastness of space, evolution, multiculturalism. Modern believers must probably be very different from believers from long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom