• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

Almighty

I tried to do a public quest or whatever with the gorn minefield and everybody just sits in one spot, killing the same Gorn over and over and over without rescuing any of the miner freighters. So annoying

This, this right fucking here. Exact fucking thing happened to me. Figured I would have enough time to complete this mission, but no people just kept bunched in one spot fighting the frigates(or what ever the small ships were called) ignoring everything else. Even worse is i guess because I am silver or something I dunno what I wasn't able to yell at them in chat to fucking ignore the frigates and go after the trapped ships, then the cruisers. No instead just me and two or three others were trying to do it while everyone else was dicking around and then boom time ran out and got kicked do to maintenance. God I am so damn frustrated right now 45 minutes wasted.

Though I do feel a little better now that I ranted about it.

Oh I thought I did it already, but I guess not if anyone wants to add me I am almighty@almighty1one

sTeLioSco

Banned
You can roam your own ship? How do you do that?

on your map,bottom right there is an arrow pointing down that opens a submenu
click it and select "visit bridge"
also when you are customizing the cosmetic looks of your ship you can choose how the bridge looks etc....
the default is bland

LordAlu

I'll be coming back to this game when I inevitably get bored with SWTOR. Looking forward to picking my character up again and seeing all the new stuff, especially the user-generated content.

Shouta

This, this right fucking here. Exact fucking thing happened to me. Figured I would have enough time to complete this mission, but no people just kept bunched in one spot fighting the frigates(or what ever the small ships were called) ignoring everything else. Even worse is i guess because I am silver or something I dunno what I wasn't able to yell at them in chat to fucking ignore the frigates and go after the trapped ships, then the cruisers. No instead just me and two or three others were trying to do it while everyone else was dicking around and then boom time ran out and got kicked do to maintenance. God I am so damn frustrated right now 45 minutes wasted.

Though I do feel a little better now that I ranted about it.

Oh I thought I did it already, but I guess not if anyone wants to add me I am almighty@almighty1one

This happens sometimes. What I usually end up doing is just barrel into the mines and aggro the Frigates. You'll end up dying of course but it will usually get rid of the mines and the idiots will just slam the Frigates for you. When they finally see Frigates aren't the objective, they usually move unless they're total idiots.

I did learn that I needed a tac officer dedicated to AOE then though. It's so much fun launching a massive volley with Fire At All, Torpedo Spread and Scatter Volley.

Zzoram

So I played this when it came out. Had a life time sub and all, but never played over level 10. Should I just start over, seeing how much has been added/modified?

Ya for sure. There is new tutorial stuff because they changed some things. You probably have so many Cryptic Points banked now, and being a subscriber for a long time gives you a small % bonus to experience or something so you level faster.

Zzoram

Hit 10, too, and got me a nice science vessel. Still rolling with my starter skills, i guess, plus the one from my officers. Absolutely no idea how the skill system works in any shape or form, so if anyone could summarize a short description on how to gain new active skills, how to use them and how to freaking rezize the skill bar, I'd be very happy :)

That said, although I'm currently solo'ing a lot, I have way more fun with it than shortly after release. So gonna play the hell out of the user missions later today :)

Now, maintainance.

You gain player abilities based on your level and character class.

The game is designed so that you can solo it.

You need to spend 33,000 skill points on Tier 1 skills before getting access to Tier 2 skills, but no skills have any prerequisites.

Zzoram

User created missions are awesome because they're all made by huge Trek fans.

I'm saving them for when I finish all the official content though.

Missions are scaled based on your level, your difficulty setting, and how many people are in your team. This allows people to solo the game if they want, and always have somewhat of a challenge. Of course, even with the scaling, the types of enemy ships you can encounter in a mission or area is still locked. You won't be fighting 10 Negh'Vars with a full skill compliment in an early zone mission.

Jomjom

Banned
Just got the Star Trek CE - this thing is awesome! It's one of the nicest designed CE's I've seen in a while. On top of that, it was only 8 bucks!

So I just entered the activation code. It is supposed to give 30 days access along with some other items. I think I know how to get the items, but how do I check if I'm actually considered a gold subscriber as opposed to a silver subscriber now? Is there somewhere to check this?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Seconding the recommendations for user created missions. I just played one last night that was essentially Fantastic Voyage in the Star Trek universe; you get shruken down and travel through blood vessels into an Admiral's brain.

DTKT

I have to say, sector space is killing any enjoyment I have with the game. Travelling around is just so boring. It's boring to navigate in, it's boring to look at. Then, you have missions that are so far away from each other that I just quit the game because I dont want to travel for 20 minutes.

Walshicus

I have to say, sector space is killing any enjoyment I have with the game. Travelling around is just so boring. It's boring to navigate in, it's boring to look at. Then, you have missions that are so far away from each other that I just quit the game because I dont want to travel for 20 minutes.

You can always fast-warp...

RE: UGC missions giving loot. You get a choice of an item or a dilithium loot chest at the end of the daily "do-three" mission. And I think you should still get mob drops too.

Zzoram

Turn off Astrometrics to get rid of all those grid lines and make space look nicer.

Also, autopilot all the sector space stuff. Just open your map and double click on where you want to go and it'll autopilot there.

You can also Transwarp to certain hub areas like Earth Dock.

Darklord

Banned

REALLY wish they made the game similar to Eve with huge open systems.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
yeah, autopilot travel time is basically when I do all my duty officer assignment stuff.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I spend most of the time micro-managing certain aspects of the game: skill points, inventory, character items, duty officer missions, etc.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The system is not that different actually, and traveling in EVE is also pretty boring.

Travelling in STO is like a rollercoaster ride compared to travelling in EVE :/

Also, some stock missions are pretty cool, it seems like the better ones start after Level 10. I'm a bit sad it's so focused on solo play, though. Even if I would probably bitch about not finding groups 'n stuff otherwise >:/

Unrelated, here's my crew. Love the concept of this game, but hate all the little annoyances :D
yVcq5.jpg

So, I started playing at launch, but only just hit 30 lol, so finally got my Defiant class, only briefly took it out tonight, but I fricking love it.

U.S.S. Absolution Gap (I name everything in STO after stuff from Alastair Reynolds books)

RS4-

Beam overload, that's just a skill from BOffs? Trying to read the actual STO forums on this stuff is a little daunting.

edit - nm, found it on an officer I purchased, then used him to train one of my own.

If you discharge an officer, what happens to the points you invested in them?
What if you dismiss a ship? The weapons/equipment are all gone? Do you get to choose a ship again (like, get a refund?)

Medalion

Banned
When you visit the bridge of your ship, that is the first step in touring your ship, you can also take the turbolift from the bridge to other areas of your ship to see Engineering, Sickbay and Crew quarters... sorta like a mini starbase for u. You can see your Ready Room.

There really oughta be more missions that take advantage of you using the facilities internal to the ship.

On another note, I wanted to share my Defiant class ship that I got when I made Captain few weeks ago.

416534_2298739721793_87kn8.jpg

At the time, I called the ship the U.S.S. Dominion

Haunted

This is probably the game with the biggest difference in appeal between screenshots (I want to play this game!) and actually playing the game (oh god make it stop get me out of here) for me.

Zzoram

That works for doing missions you acquire but not when just flying around from place to place in general

I think one of the skills actually increases the speed you fly at in Sector Space. It's called Drive Coil or something. If it bothers you that much, put 3 points in that.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Are there any specific missions or activities that you can try as a fleet?
If there is a GAF guild invite me. Think my name is just Hamburglar.
You'll receive an invite if you add Sir Fragula as a friend (a list of names is in the second post of this thread).

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Anyone know how I can check if I have silver or gold membership?

If you login at StarTrekOnline.com and check under My Account at the top right, it should have information under Subscriptions as to whether you have an active game card and until what day it lasts. I activated the Alienware Arena free code that someone posted here a while ago (still over 2000 left last I checked) and so I have a little under 10 days left of Gold. It's nice because I waited until just about when I was going to hit Lt. Commander, so I got a respec token for when I need it now.

Also, since everyone's posting their stuff, here's my dinky little ship, the U.S.S. Khan Singh II. The first one is my starter ship which I didn't have the heart to discharge yet, so I couldn't name the new one similarly.

screenshot_2012-01-22-23-05-34.jpg

And here's my character sitting in her ridiculously oversized chair in her ready room. It seems like all the interiors are just oversized. I know they were going for social environments, but the bridge just seems at least twice as large as it ought to be, to say nothing of the huge corridors.

screenshot_2012-01-22-22-59-57.jpg

I'm Kelinda@darthwoo if we're still doing GAFleet.

So I've been messing with a healer for a while and for some reason when I upgrade their skills the hit points it heals goes down.

It starts at like 72 for the first skill and then I put in a skill point it goes to 34. Is this a typo or something? It's freaking me out and I don't want to waste my points

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
been having fun with the game.

just got my Duty Officers... i dont really understand why i have them or what benefit they really provide to me when they're not obviously doing missions. is there a downside to using people to send them on those missions?

not really sure why they put that stuff in the game, tbh, other than providing some sort of a time waster.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

just got my Duty Officers... i dont really understand why i have them or what benefit they really provide to me when they're not obviously doing missions. is there a downside to using people to send them on those missions?

not really sure why they put that stuff in the game, tbh, other than providing some sort of a time waster.

Well, as you mentioned, they're good for missions, which can net you dilithium. Apart from that, you can assign them to active duty on the ship, and certain ones will give you various benefits in combat and such.

Medalion

Banned

They do the internal shit on the ship that you don't normally do... yer always commanding to do this and that, but stuff like diplomatic things is more micromanagement that Duty Officers can do for you.

I'm glad they added this variety to the game because there are some hardcore Star Trek fans complaining how this MMO has too much emphasis on battle when that was not the point of the show.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They do the internal shit on the ship that you don't normally do... yer always commanding to do this and that, but stuff like diplomatic things is more micromanagement that Duty Officers can do for you.

I'm glad they added this variety to the game because there are some hardcore Star Trek fans complaining how this MMO has too much emphasis on battle when that was not the point of the show.

I love how the Duty Officer screen also lets me specify which of my bridge crew are the heads of which departments, and who my first officer is. Its small touches like that that make this game for me.

Zzoram

So I've been messing with a healer for a while and for some reason when I upgrade their skills the hit points it heals goes down.

It starts at like 72 for the first skill and then I put in a skill point it goes to 34. Is this a typo or something? It's freaking me out and I don't want to waste my points

You sure that isn't the cool down going down?

When you upgrade a skill, it usually either makes an ability stronger, or reduces the cool down so you can use the ability more often.

You sure that isn't the cool down going down?

When you upgrade a skill, it usually either makes an ability stronger, or reduces the cool down so you can use the ability more often.

No the cooldown didn't seem to be moving. I didn't really have enough time to test it since my health was regenerating but it seemed like my medic was healing less.

It was Medical Tricoder I and II if anyone wants to test it out just putting in one skill point made it lower. I'm really curious if it is a typo.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm super close to my first named promotion after Lieutenant. It seems like a pretty average game, but the fact that it's in a great francise with few good games turns it into a good game, if that makes any sense.

I am kindof confused about what makes this an MMO that at least at one point required a monthly subscription. Not really seeing why this couldn't be a single player game personally. I expected for things to be a bit more social without having to drag your own friends in or resorting to random message boards and going through the annoying schedualing thing. When I played during a free month of Achron's Call I seemed to be able to ask people in cities to party up pretty easily, but no chat makes that imposible. Even if there was chat people seem to just focus on themselves anyway.

Gonna keep on it until FFXIII-2 comes out though which is more then I ever expected.

Zzoram

I'm super close to my first named promotion after Lieutenant. It seems like a pretty average game, but the fact that it's in a great francise with few good games turns it into a good game, if that makes any sense.

I am kindof confused about what makes this an MMO that at least at one point required a monthly subscription. Not really seeing why this couldn't be a single player game personally. I expected for things to be a bit more social without having to drag your own friends in or resorting to random message boards and going through the annoying schedualing thing. When I played during a free month of Achron's Call I seemed to be able to ask people in cities to party up pretty easily, but no chat makes that imposible. Even if there was chat people seem to just focus on themselves anyway.

Gonna keep on it until FFXIII-2 comes out though which is more then I ever expected.

I agree that it's too instanced and seems to be designed for mostly solo play. However, that's what I like from MMOs since I treat them as insanely huge RPGs. I suspect that casuals typically prefer to solo MMOs.

Top Bottom