• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
wanna post a space pic, too!

d6XK6.jpg

That area was cool, the contrast between the blue, spherical background and that dark red planet was pretty beautiful.

Zzoram

Evasive was on my action bar for a few levels and now I have attack pattern alpha, I'm not sure if they got there because I put some points into attack patterns or if they unlock by level

Some abilities like Evasive Maneuvers are automatically unlocked once you reach a certain level. Other abilities come from the Bridge Officers you have "equipped" on your ship.

You can find those abilities once unlocked by pressing "P" to bring up a list you can drag to your action bar.

The ship determines how many of each type of Bridge Officer you can "equip", and what rank of skills they will be allowed to use.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just finished the quest Spin the Wheel. Wow, the quest design in this game keeps going up. Seriously, give it better graphics and voice acting and this is better then Mass Effect

Rayme

Two questions for the wiser among us here:

1: How well does coop work? Like, if my friend & I want to play through the storyline together, does the game make that easy? Is he allowed to come with me on my missions, and will we both get credit for finishing it? Or will we have to do each quest twice? Or... are we forced to solo?

2: When should I start taking a look at the user missions? Are the good ones all higher level? Or does level matter at all (do they scale?)?

Zzoram

Two questions for the wiser among us here:

1: How well does coop work? Like, if my friend & I want to play through the storyline together, does the game make that easy? Is he allowed to come with me on my missions, and will we both get credit for finishing it? Or will we have to do each quest twice? Or... are we forced to solo?

2: When should I start taking a look at the user missions? Are the good ones all higher level? Or does level matter at all (do they scale?)?

1. Add your friend to your friend's list so you can see where he is and what instance he is in, and go to the same sector or starbase and same instance (there is a way to select which instance you want to be in). Once you've formed a party, if you start a mission you both didn't complete, you should both get credit for it assuming you did the prerequisite missions. If you only play together, this should be perfect since you'll always be at the same point in the mission story lines. Where ever you two go, being in a team means the game will make you enter the same instance so you can do missions together. Experience is shared and you can set in the Social options what method you want to distribute loot.

2. User missions do scale I believe, and they are pretty damn amazing. Personally, I'm going through the official content before I touch user missions. The official content also starts off a little shaky but improves as you progress. I figure that user missions at the end would be the best because if you do them early, then the early official missions will be more disappointing in comparison.

Rayme

1. Add your friend to your friend's list and go to the same sector or starbase and same instance (there is a way to select which instance you want to be in). Once you've formed a party, if you start a mission you both didn't complete, you should both get credit for it assuming you did any prerequisite missions. If you only play together, this should be perfect since you'll always be at the same point in the mission story lines. Where ever you two go, being in a team means the game will make you enter the same instance so you can do missions together. Experience is shared and you can set in the Social options what method you want to distribute loot.

2. User missions do scale I believe, and they are pretty damn amazing. Personally, I'm going through the official content before I touch user missions. The official content also starts off a little shaky but improves as you progress. I figure that user missions at the end would be the best because if you do them early, then the early official missions will be more disappointing in comparison.
Oh hot damn, awesome. Thanks for the answers!

Getting addicted to this against my better judgement... it doesn't help that I'm halfway through rewatching TNG on Netflix (with DS9 and Voyager to come).

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
lol if it's what i think, i believe those ships are destroyed relatively easily

Yer not a more than normal difficulty setting right?
Individually they are easy to destroy, but they also have the habit of ganging up on you, and in that case your shield has no time to regenerate. Facing dozens of Vishap Frigates at once was much harder than fighting a Klingon fleet, in which your team has the numerical advantage.

I put the difficulty on advanced; I don't know if that affects fleet action.

Zzoram

So apparently there is Tribble breeding. Their offspring depend on what food you feed them and what the initial Tribble is.

Different types you can breed give different types of bonuses.

Medalion

Banned
Individually they are easy to destroy, but they also have the habit of ganging up on you, and in that case your shield has no time to regenerate. Facing dozens of Vishap Frigates at once was much harder than fighting a Klingon fleet, in which your team has the numerical advantage.

I put the difficulty on advanced; I don't know if that affects fleet action.

Ah, that would be why you are facing an armada of those things... even on normal, a few at a time is still a challenge (normally you face no more than 3 at a time), don't be so quick to jump ahead for a challenge.

Talyn

Ah, that would be why you are facing an armada of those things... even on normal, a few at a time is still a challenge (normally you face no more than 3 at a time), don't be so quick to jump ahead for a challenge.
No, I was in that Gorn fleet action earlier with my lowly Lt Commander on normal and there was a massive wall of those damn frigates and they kept respawning. Fed ships were exploding left and right trying to get thru them. I've played that fleet action before, I leveled a char to VA last year, and I don't remember it being nearly so damn frustrating to finish.

Medalion

Banned
One thing I've noticed also since the change over, is the need to balance out things.

There were times in the earlier days when people would achieve a certain level, they would either be a few ranks higher or lower than the enemies on screen. There is a new system to make everybody on equal ground, for some people this means it to be easier, some harder... it's just craziness really.

docbon

Yeesh, the PVP queues have been pretty dreadful tonight. Doesn't help when your team disappears halfway through the match, either. Playing cat and mouse is only amusing for so long.

I'm not sure how player ranks play a role in the instanced matches. Does it get easier to join a queue as you rank up?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just finished the
Devidian
(around mid Lt. Commander level) set of quests and was really impressed. Especially
going into the past
, which was fucking awesome. Plus they pushed me over the edge to commander rank, so I got myself a shiny new science vessel! Rather then name her the Wiggin-C my new ship is the U.S.S Novinha

Medalion

Banned
Ah yes, the infamous
Devidian arc of eps was an intruiging run.

I was scared running around in a dark basement of a space station looking for ghostly aliens

I still keep my Triolic Pattern enhancers around for fun

I almost finished the Romulan arc
and the Coloseum mission was excellent, with Amok Time music playing (shame that the sample didn't include the RRRRAAaaa part) and the lost in the desert segment. I also liked the icy Reman ship and the mining outpost, good looking locations, and a Horta!

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I welcomed the challenge (and it was appropriate for my character level). It was much better than the previous fleet mission, in which ten Federation ships ganged up on a single hapless Klingon battle cruiser. I don't even think I saw anyone die.

Medalion

Banned
I almost finished the Romulan arc
and the Coloseum mission was excellent, with Amok Time music playing (shame that the sample didn't include the RRRRAAaaa part) and the lost in the desert segment. I also liked the icy Reman ship and the mining outpost, good looking locations, and a Horta!

Yeah that was nice, till the first time u run through that desert not knowing what to do or where to go

2nd time is a breeze

Gotta love that Reman shield

Almighty

They are pretty brutal in large numbers. The last time I did that action some how they were drawn to the spawn point. You would spawn right in the middle of a swarm of them and they would tear you to pieces. Slowly we managed to thin them out and destroy them, but I don't think I have ever seen so many federation ships destroyed.

Zzoram

When duty officers do ship missions and it says you can get rewards like bonus power to some system, how long does that bonus last? Is it permanent?

Almighty

When duty officers do ship missions and it says you can get rewards like bonus power to some system, how long does that bonus last? Is it permanent?

I think it is just temporary and I believe one of my bonus lasted only for an hour, but I am not 100 percent sure.

Zzoram

Anybody else game with an nvidia card?

Does anybody else have annoying flickering of some graphics?

I don't have that problem with my Radeon HD4870. Have you tried tweaking some of the graphics settings to see if any of the settings are causing this?

derFeef

I am pretty much playing canon only. No armor, unified bridge officers, weapons the Federation would use etc.

I have a Vulcan science Rear Admiral lady and I can't wait to get the D'Kyr with my free credits I am getting as a lifetime subber :)

Medalion

Banned
Well... technically, even in Star Trek canon, there was an exception to using armor, DS9's Defiant had ablative armor officially, and in Voyager their ship got tech from the future Janeway which was basically an ablative armor generator that made literal armor form around the ship.

Where is that option located. I wanted to do that, but couldn't find where the option was. The armor is so ugly.
Right click on the armor and choose the option if it allows you to disable the visuals, if it's not an option, then don't equip it.

Almighty

Right click on the armor and choose the option if it allows you to disable the visuals, if it's not an option, then don't equip it.

Thank you. Now my guy actually looks nice now in his TNG Movie uniform. No more running around in that god awful red monstrosity they call armor.

Zzoram

Well... technically, even in Star Trek canon, there was an exception to using armor, DS9's Defiant had ablative armor officially, and in Voyager their ship got tech from the future Janeway which was basically an ablative armor generator that made literal armor form around the ship.

That's ship armor. We are talking about personal armor.

derFeef

That's ship armor. We are talking about personal armor.

You can also disable the Reman/Borg/... visuals on your ship, though. I have a sweet Reman shield for my ship but the whole ship get's this green/blue metal look and it's uuugly.

Medalion

Banned
Yeah that makes more sense nao.

I don't think even in canon, the officer could take multiple phaser hits either, so wearing armor would make sense :p

But yes, the personal body armor is very ugly.

I had no idea this game had user created mission in it. Maybe it's my lack of MMO experience talking but I'm really impressed that something like that is in here.

One user mission had me trapped in a malfunctioning holodeck and it was pretty great.

Medalion

Banned
You can also make your own if you want, you gotta spend some dilithium to create Foundry slots to make those submissions, I haven't tried it myself, so if anyone wants to try, let me know how it goes.

I played one of those user missions... honestly, I almost couldn't tell the diff between an official mission vs the user created one, the storylines and plot twists were just as consistent to me :p

Zen

Banned
So much of this game is confusing as fuck and poorly explained, I don't know how to do like 80% of the things in this game.

That being said, I'm enjoying it as a decent diversion, and the 'Gotta get a better ship' element is addictive.

Zzoram

I had no idea this game had user created mission in it. Maybe it's my lack of MMO experience talking but I'm really impressed that something like that is in here.

One user mission had me trapped in a malfunctioning holodeck and it was pretty great.

Most MMOs don't have user created missions.

STO's user missions are probably the best missions in the game, they're all written by hardcore fans so they really get their stories right.

Zzoram

So much of this game is confusing as fuck and poorly explained, I don't know how to do like 80% of the things in this game.

That being said, I'm enjoying it as a decent diversion, and the 'Gotta get a better ship' element is addictive.

Ya this game really poorly explains a lot of the complexity but it's so fun once you accidentally figure stuff out or get someone on a forum to explain it to you. Feel free to ask anything in this thread, someone will probably know the answer.

Medalion

Banned
The one user created mission I did, the award I got was just dilithium ore as I recall

I seriously went through a checklist of typical Star Trek plot cliches

Klingons
Borg
Space Battle
Time Travel
Prime Directive
Tough Moral Decisions
Alternate Universes

love the fan mind

Top Bottom