• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

I'm super close to my first named promotion after Lieutenant. It seems like a pretty average game, but the fact that it's in a great francise with few good games turns it into a good game, if that makes any sense.

I am kindof confused about what makes this an MMO that at least at one point required a monthly subscription. Not really seeing why this couldn't be a single player game personally. I expected for things to be a bit more social without having to drag your own friends in or resorting to random message boards and going through the annoying schedualing thing. When I played during a free month of Achron's Call I seemed to be able to ask people in cities to party up pretty easily, but no chat makes that imposible. Even if there was chat people seem to just focus on themselves anyway.

Gonna keep on it until FFXIII-2 comes out though which is more then I ever expected.

Thats what I noticed too. It seems like it could be a single player game and just connect for Raid Battles. *shrug*

Emitan

I agree that it's too instanced and seems to be designed for mostly solo play. However, that's what I like from MMOs since I treat them as insanely huge RPGs. I suspect that casuals typically prefer to solo MMOs.

Why aren't there any good, modern Star Trek games?! I want to be a captain in a single player game without the MMO jank.

Zzoram

I'm pretty happy with STO. I've always wanted a game that covered the entire galaxy with all the major alien factions. This game is pretty close, no gamma or delta quadrant but if it stays profitable long term, they will finish fleshing out a Klingon campaign and might add the delta quadrant.

MIKEAL

Banned
So, I'm absolutely terrible at space combat games. Is space combat more like wow-in-space or your more traditional space flight combat sim?

Jomjom

Banned
Just registered my STO Collector's Edition this weekend and just logged into the game just now. I went to the C-Store and was able to claim my Borg BOff and Red Capacitor. However I was not able to find the TNG and DS9 costumes on the C-Store to claim anywhere.

Anyone have any ideas how I can claim the costumes that are supposed to come with the CE?

Medalion

Banned
@jling84 when you go to any of the Tailors and try to select your costume by going through modifying your existing or choosing one, it doesn't have a green check mark next to the ones you are allowed to claim?

Medalion

Banned
Borg Subtranswarp Engine + Quantum Slipstream is yo frand but you need to be admiral ranks

Plus if you spend your skill points on enhancing your warp engines and shit, that will add up as well

derFeef

So, I'm absolutely terrible at space combat games. Is space combat more like wow-in-space or your more traditional space flight combat sim?

Space combat is where this game shines. Basically you can tetermine a speed at which your ship flies and you can pretty much freely steer it around with mouse or keyboard. You have four shields (front, left, right, aft,) and you take damage to the shield depending on where the enemy hits you. So you have to keep moving during harder fights to let the damaged shield regenerate with either powers or blancaning shield energy.

You have weapons like phaser, torpedos and cannons. Additionally you have skills you get from your bridge officers which are like magical powers to debuff, buff, or shoot a barrage of torpedos etc.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
@jling84 when you go to any of the Tailors and try to select your costume by going through modifying your existing or choosing one, it doesn't have a green check mark next to the ones you are allowed to claim?

Got that green checkmark on some costumes, too, but everytime I actually try to use them, I get a "buy c-points" message. Thought they might be from the Alienware thing, so what's up with that?

Jomjom

Banned

Hmmm I haven't tried going to the Tailors yet.

So far I've had to click the "Claim" button on all the bonus items I get (whether from the Alienware code or the CE) on the C-Store page for the item. However, I couldn't find the C-store item listings for the TNG or DS9 costumes at all. Perhaps those costumes are automatically added and I just need to check the Tailor for them?

Rezbit

Think I remember seeing locked "TNG" stuff when I was outfitting my dude at the tailor (not that I can do much being a purely F2P pleb).

So far I've done the first Borg War Zone thing, then Starbase 24, and just finished the Gorn one, which was pretty damn epic I must say. Lasted for quite a long time. Quite amazed at the teamwork which 20 randoms can display against a whole shiteload of enemy ships. We mostly stuck together smashing anything that came along, and then worked at blowing up the mines in a coordinated fashion. Quickly learns you when you try and take on some ships by yourself. First real large scale space combat I've had, and yes it was awesome.

Walshicus

Think I remember seeing locked "TNG" stuff when I was outfitting my dude at the tailor (not that I can do much being a purely F2P pleb).

So far I've done the first Borg War Zone thing, then Starbase 24, and just finished the Gorn one, which was pretty damn epic I must say. Lasted for quite a long time. Quite amazed at the teamwork which 20 randoms can display against a whole shiteload of enemy ships. We mostly stuck together smashing anything that came along, and then worked at blowing up the mines in a coordinated fashion. Quickly learns you when you try and take on some ships by yourself. First real large scale space combat I've had, and yes it was awesome.

I really want to get a private game going so we can run through "Romulan Temple" - that ground Fleet Action can be a bitch to do, but satisfying if everyone is on form.

And here's my character sitting in her ridiculously oversized chair in her ready room. It seems like all the interiors are just oversized. I know they were going for social environments, but the bridge just seems at least twice as large as it ought to be, to say nothing of the huge corridors.
I must say, I was pretty surprised when I saw my tiny science vessel had a mess hall with a 20-foot ceiling.
Just registered my STO Collector's Edition this weekend and just logged into the game just now. I went to the C-Store and was able to claim my Borg BOff and Red Capacitor. However I was not able to find the TNG and DS9 costumes on the C-Store to claim anywhere.

Anyone have any ideas how I can claim the costumes that are supposed to come with the CE?
Looking at the C-Store now, I scrolled to the right, chose Appearance, chose the Federation Uniforms subsection, and TNG uniforms are listed on the first page. DS9 the second page.

I'm super close to my first named promotion after Lieutenant. It seems like a pretty average game, but the fact that it's in a great francise with few good games turns it into a good game, if that makes any sense.

I am kindof confused about what makes this an MMO that at least at one point required a monthly subscription. Not really seeing why this couldn't be a single player game personally. I expected for things to be a bit more social without having to drag your own friends in or resorting to random message boards and going through the annoying schedualing thing. When I played during a free month of Achron's Call I seemed to be able to ask people in cities to party up pretty easily, but no chat makes that imposible. Even if there was chat people seem to just focus on themselves anyway.

Gonna keep on it until FFXIII-2 comes out though which is more then I ever expected.

I was subbed for 6 months and never actually actively grouped with anyone in game, it was a single player game for me. Only time I had to play with others was when I did a few pvp matches. Enjoyed the game but yea didn't feel worth the sub and it was extremely lacking in content since much of the content is really just randomly generated generic quests that you will see repeating itself, all the game does is change certain visual aspects to make the mission seem different.

Came back for the Foundry stuff though as it added a bunch of content that felt better than alot of the stuff the devs put into the game originally. The feature episodes were also awesome but you play through each series in one sitting and not enough of them.

Game being F2P though, it's worth jumping in once in a while...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also, since everyone's posting their stuff, here's my dinky little ship, the U.S.S. Khan Singh II. The first one is my starter ship which I didn't have the heart to discharge yet, so I couldn't name the new one similarly.

screenshot_2012-01-22-23-05-34.jpg

And here's my character sitting in her ridiculously oversized chair in her ready room. It seems like all the interiors are just oversized. I know they were going for social environments, but the bridge just seems at least twice as large as it ought to be, to say nothing of the huge corridors.

Was one of my first complaints when playing the beta.

The interior art direction is just all wrong. The internals are all wrong scale-wise, and don't really have any 'solidity' to them, if that makes sense. The transporters are comical, the mess hall is like something on a giant star base than on a tiny ship.

The explanation given at the time was that it was because some player-created characters could be relatively giant etc.

The explanation given at the time was that it was because some player-created characters could be relatively giant etc.

I think it's merely an issue with them not being able to get the corridors and ship interiors to be that small without screwing up the camera in game. Notice ALL corridors and interiors and stations are massive in size. Corridors in ship the size as we see on the TV screen series probably are just too hard to replicate with the engine since we have full camara control. We would basically have ton of black space around the screen as we mouse around the view.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Feels bad, I got three of my duty officers killed in one mission. I knew there was a 26% chance of disaster, but figured I'd take my chances. Thankfully they were all commons.

Almighty

Yeah even though my first time trying that map was horrible on my second try I actually had a good group. When you actually have a group that can actually work together it made a world of difference. The second time was actually fun and I might do it again.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Why aren't there any good, modern Star Trek games?! I want to be a captain in a single player game without the MMO jank.

Yeah, I would love this game a lot more if it was single player and a lot more polished. It gives me the large levels of customization and large galaxy to explore that I enjoy.

Askani

Just want to verify a few things:

A) Dilithium for C-Store points: In the exchange today, I saw 279 Dilithium for 1500 C-Store points or something. That's not 279 for all the points right? It's 279 for each point for a total of like 418,000 Dilithium?

B) Should I always be training up my main crew for whatever they have available? Seems like crew member training points aren't that hard to come by. Wasn't sure if I should be saving them for when I get better quality crew members.

C) Being level 14, I know I'm still early, but where can I start to pick up more diverse crew member for missions? I am doing some, but I need alot more diverse stats to successfully finish missions different missions.

I'll probably think of more later.

Jomjom

Banned
I noticed that STO allows the use of a gamepad. Anyone know what the limitations are? It would seem to me that with all the skills, BOff skills, and all the shield management it would be really tough to play with just a gamepad.

Medalion

Banned
Just want to verify a few things:

A) Dilithium for C-Store points: In the exchange today, I saw 279 Dilithium for 1500 C-Store points or something. That's not 279 for all the points right? It's 279 for each point for a total of like 418,000 Dilithium?

B) Should I always be training up my main crew for whatever they have available? Seems like crew member training points aren't that hard to come by. Wasn't sure if I should be saving them for when I get better quality crew members.

C) Being level 14, I know I'm still early, but where can I start to pick up more diverse crew member for missions? I am doing some, but I need alot more diverse stats to successfully finish missions different missions.

I'll probably think of more later.
Yes, getting cryptic points is a very slow and painful process if yer not outright buying them with real world money... gotta collect Dilithium for awhile

You don't have to keep training your crew if you don't want to mess with the skills they offer... bear in mind, their skills in space are limited by the console stations max ability... so while you may have promoted your crew various times, the consoles still hold back if you gave them higher abilities.

You can get more diverse crew if that's what you really want, but I stuck with the exact same 4/5 crew that was handed to me at first and just trained them up with proper skills for my play style and I made it to the top in no time.

Petrie

Banned
I noticed that STO allows the use of a gamepad. Anyone know what the limitations are? It would seem to me that with all the skills, BOff skills, and all the shield management it would be really tough to play with just a gamepad.

I've asked for help getting a gamepad setup but nobody seems to have anything to offer. I couldn't even figure out how to run. lol

Jomjom

Banned
I've asked for help getting a gamepad setup but nobody seems to have anything to offer. I couldn't even figure out how to run. lol

There's a gamepad binding guide on the STO forums somewhere, but I'm too dumb to understand what it's talking about. Perhaps it can help you?

Walshicus

tihs game is sorta confusing. how does one make any money? i have no money to buy anything!

Sell items for energy credits. Run "Fleet Actions" and such for Dilithium.

I'll put together another section for the OP dealing with currencies sometime this week hopefully. :)

Askani

Yes, getting cryptic points is a very slow and painful process if yer not outright buying them with real world money... gotta collect Dilithium for awhile

Thanks. That was a stupid question as I saw the bottom of the window say that when I went home on lunch break. :lol

You don't have to keep training your crew if you don't want to mess with the skills they offer... bear in mind, their skills in space are limited by the console stations max ability... so while you may have promoted your crew various times, the consoles still hold back if you gave them higher abilities.

I keep training them because they seem useful right now. I may be kidding myself but I figure at worst, if I'm misunderstanding things, it's not hurting me.

You can get more diverse crew if that's what you really want, but I stuck with the exact same 4/5 crew that was handed to me at first and just trained them up with proper skills for my play style and I made it to the top in no time.

Sorry, I didn't use the correct term. I meant for Shipboard and Sector based assignments. I want more diverse skills to reduce my failure rates and up my critical success rates on the different types of assignments.

Sorry, I didn't use the correct term. I meant for Shipboard and Sector based assignments. I want more diverse skills to reduce my failure rates and up my critical success rates on the different types of assignments.
Bridge officers and duty officers are completely separate. There's no training of the duty officers; just getting new ones.

Holy fuck, answered a distress call or something and ended up with a bunch of people fighting a Borg fleet........we got all the cubes and spheres down in the time limit eventually but then the command ship completely pwned us :(

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Here's my current ship:
caspian.jpg

I liked the default name, the USS Caspian, so much that I decided to keep it.

I'm close to level 10

I have one tactical officer, 2 engineers, 1 science

Things are finally starting to get a mildly difficult

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
The difficulty of this game is definitely all over the place. The most difficult mission I've had so far involved 150 year old Klingon battle cruisers. It's impossible to gauge which ships are going to give me the most trouble, and past experience is a terrible guide. Some ships are easy to destroy on one mission and impossible to destroy the next. If things are particularly difficult, I'll drop it back down to normal. But the challenge has seemed to increase drastically since level 17 or 18.

SO how do I use Attack Patterns? Where do I find the skill? From what I can find it's some kind of buff which need to be applied.

Evasive was on my action bar for a few levels and now I have attack pattern alpha, I'm not sure if they got there because I put some points into attack patterns or if they unlock by level

Evasive was on my action bar for a few levels and now I have attack pattern alpha, I'm not sure if they got there because I put some points into attack patterns or if they unlock by level

Never had any on my action bar but just found that clicking on one of the small buttons on the side of it brings up the "choose skills" menu.

Then just drag'n'drop. But seems like patterns unlock by level, only have one now.

Top Bottom