• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

Walshicus

We really need some new weapon types. I'm tempted to run the Guardian of Forever mission a few times to stock up on Plasma/Disruptor Hybrid Arrays.

Walshicus

Question: If we were to run a Fleet-wide Foundry mission creation contest, giving an in-game prize to the winner, would there be much interest?

Askani

And don't forget that you can also take a mission from someone on K7 so that you get 1440 dilithium ore for every three war zones you complete. I forgot what rank you have to be to accept them, but as soon as you complete your third war zone, you can just go back to K7, get your ore and then start the mission again.

Yup. That's the quest I've been doing.

Also, just an FYI, you don't have to go back to the base and turn in and re-accept. You can "Hail Starfleet" and do a turn in there and re-accept. You don't even have to leave the zone. The only time you physically have to go back to K7 is when you move into the next PVP tier of the zone. Makes it so you can just chain it over and over and soak up the XP/items.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Err, no.

earth-spacedock.jpg

ohhhh man i totally forgot it used to look like that

lol

The Shift

Banned
So did they break autofire in the last patch or is it just me?

I think so. I just played a three hour session and autofire was bugged for me. The UI is atrocious. Trying to do simple things like move dialog boxes is a nightmare - having to press escape to edit the layout and guessing what the results might be is truly baffling. No overview for selecting objects in space. Can't move items around without removing them first. Using the bank and inventory is an exercise in frustration. My neck is sore from shaking my head at the damn thing. The UI dev/s need to play EVE for a month as that game has the small details I mentioned down pat and should do after nearly nine years of development. The game is compelling though, but as I said, the minor details sometimes make a huge difference in how players can interact with the gameplay and STO seems to have quite a bit to go in that regard.

Walshicus

I think so. I just played a three hour session and autofire was bugged for me. The UI is atrocious. Trying to do simple things like move dialog boxes is a nightmare - having to press escape to edit the layout and guessing what the results might be is truly baffling. No overview for selecting objects in space. Can't move items around without removing them first. Using the bank and inventory is an exercise in frustration. My neck is sore from shaking my head at the damn thing. The UI dev/s need to play EVE for a month as that game has the small details I mentioned down pat and should do after nearly nine years of development. The game is compelling though, but as I said, the minor details sometimes make a huge difference in how players can interact with the gameplay and STO seems to have quite a bit to go in that regard.

I'm just glad that the latest patch brought horizontal resizing of the inventory. I've been calling for that for 24 months now.

The Shift

Banned
I'm just glad that the latest patch brought horizontal resizing of the inventory. I've been calling for that for 24 months now.

Shit, really? That must have been beyond frustrating. I have only played it for 4 days now and am being a bit picky about things I guess. I'm going to hang in there with it though - just got Lieutenant Commander, feels nice. There is a lot going on in this game and many of the activities seem to be easily accessed. Anyone have impressions playing the game using a 360 controller? I have a spare hanging around with the wireless dongle and am going to have a run with that tomorrow.

DTKT

Jomjom

Banned

Now if they would only add in an auto-sort inventory button.

Also, what is the maximum number of ship slots we can get? I don't like decommissioning any of my ships, not even the starter ship. How many do we get at maximum level for free? How many can I buy in addition to that?

Level 49

Fucking Borg drones adapting to my weapons, good thing I had a Captain Kirk style spade thing in my inventory to cut them to shreds with..........I couldn't find any nodes to destroy =/

Zzoram

Level 49

Fucking Borg drones adapting to my weapons, good thing I had a Captain Kirk style spade thing in my inventory to cut them to shreds with..........I couldn't find any nodes to destroy =/

there is an item you can replicate for free that remodulates weapons for fighting borg

God yes. So much little jank like this is so annoying. Moving inventory around anywhere in the game is a pain

Especially crafting materials...which are obtuse to begin with. They all look the same to me that when I'm putting them into my bank they don't actually auto-stack...I have to play a game of match the colors and symbols.

Jomjom

Banned
God yes. So much little jank like this is so annoying. Moving inventory around anywhere in the game is a pain

The funny thing is, SWTOR, the other game I'm currently playing also doesn't have inventory sort. That is especially unacceptable considering SWTOR is NOT F2P.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I've been playing for 5 hours now. This is the first game in a long while that has made me smile. Especially stuff like naming the dodge-ability "Evasive maneuvers". Still, it isn't a very good game. But it nags in my mind how it's so easy to make a good Star Trek-game and how annoying it is that it hasn't really been done. Sure, a few okay games have been released, like this one, but nothing that's really classic.

Still, going to keep on playing despite there being some wonky design choices.

Level 50
Didn't get a ship token despite still being gold from the alienware thing, oh well
Time to play with the Odyessey more

The USS Jack Bauer is going to send the Borg and company back to the void!

Didn't get a fleet invite yet Garvik@bigjonsson99 or it might be @bigjonsson28

Now if they would only add in an auto-sort inventory button.

Also, what is the maximum number of ship slots we can get? I don't like decommissioning any of my ships, not even the starter ship. How many do we get at maximum level for free? How many can I buy in addition to that?
For things like inventory increases the C-Store lists a limit, but I don't see one for the ship slots purchase. So it's probably at least in the dozens, like the character slot limit.

Jomjom

Banned
For things like inventory increases the C-Store lists a limit, but I don't see one for the ship slots purchase. So it's probably at least in the dozens, like the character slot limit.

That is awesome. I will buy ALL of the ship slots. I have a bad habit of collecting things in MMOs and in this game I'm going to want to collect all the ships from the various shows and junk.

Medalion

Banned
I've started a new Klingon faction character, a Lethean. For some reason my character started as a Commander level, instead of the beginner rank. Not that I'm complaining. Hopefully I can get to level 21 before the 2nd anniversary is over so that I may have a chance to win the Bortas class ship, the Odyssey equivalent on the Klingon side, but way way better.

Zzoram

I've started a new Klingon faction character, a Lethean. For some reason my character started as a Commander level, instead of the beginner rank. Not that I'm complaining. Hopefully I can get to level 21 before the 2nd anniversary is over so that I may have a chance to win the Bortas class ship, the Odyssey equivalent on the Klingon side, but way way better.

The Bortas isn't just an easy giveaway freebie for anyone? I thought the Odyssey was.

Damn I guess I should roll a Klingon and try to claim the Bortas too. Where do you go to get the Bortas mission?

The Bortas isn't just an easy giveaway freebie for anyone? I thought the Odyssey was.

Damn I guess I should roll a Klingon and try to claim the Bortas too. Where do you go to get the Bortas mission?

His wording just meant that he has a limited timeframe to do it in. The Bortas is acquired in almost the exact same way as the Odyssey. There's a quest giver in a central area that gives you a shakedown mission to scan some stuff and kill some stuff, the it's yours. Did it the other day, now I might have some motivation to actually level my Klingon =P I think the only requirement is to be level 21. You start at 20 and the intro tutorial stuff should get you to 21 easy.

Medalion

Banned
Yeah I already got past level 21, am at level 24 right now... and got the Bortas claim token in inventory. I was in the middle of a mission at a Starbase when I encountered a map bug, had to open a ticket for it.

The Bortas mission is very similar to the Odyssey one, scan something, fight some harmless shit, then fight something threatening, ironically in this case an actual federation Odyssey ship but with major help with a fleet of klingons by your side.

The mission is pretty much in the center of the First City where Q is, talk to the Engineer, and boom, fly off to a different system to begin yer mission.

Zzoram

Damnit can someone help me? I'm stuck at the last group of Romulans on this ground explore mission, they wipe out my party every time, I have no idea what to do

Walshicus

So uhh STF missions, they need more variety of them lol

But I do want to pimp out the USS Jack Bauer with more purples, ugh

There's an Undine themed STF that they still need to rework into the Ground/Space/Normal/Elite queue system. Plus pretty soon they'll release "Into The Hive" which concluded the Borg series.

After that, we should get "Children Of Khan".

Would be nice if each Feature Series came with a couple of them though.

Zzoram

Damnit can someone help me? I'm stuck at the last group of Romulans on this ground explore mission, they wipe out my party every time, I have no idea what to do

It took me almost 3 hours but I finally beat that last group of Romulans on the ground. I must've tried every possible strategy with so much micro of my away team.

Never again am I going to do an Explore ground mission.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I can't seem to collect the rewards for a duty officer mission. Every time I click it says that it failed to collect the rewards, so it appears to be a glitch. Should I submit a ticket with Cryptic?
How do I unlock other Transwarp locations?
I know that you can unlock transwarp abilities by ascending diplomatic ranks, but I don't know of any other ways (besides "paying" for it with energy credits).

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
If GAFleet still has room, I'm Kelinda@darthwoo

Does the Bortas look extremely similar to the Terran Battlecruiser to anyone else? I thought it looked pretty similar just by glancing at some other people were flying, but when I did the mission and it did that slow flyover of the ship, even some of the little details are very similar like the ridged "neck." Then again, I suppose the Battlecruiser itself was pretty similar in configuration to most large Klingon vessels before it.

Medalion

Banned
I gotta continue levelling up my Klingon faction character so I can take a proper warship to battle, the Bortas. The muthafucka can load proper cannons, cloak, and is fucking ass huge. I think I shoulda started as a Klingon to begin with since I love warships so much.

But first, gotta redo the Q party crasher mission as my Fed character, want more dilithium!

Top Bottom