• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

It took me 20 minutes to get my Bortas, come on people, use your eyes :p

Look for a Klingon engineer on the dance floor............why do the Klingons have a dance floor in their capital city?

Zzoram

Anyone else think the Path to 2409 wording makes it sound like Martok didn't actually die? Nobody saw him die and there was no body.

Medalion

Banned
Hail Chancellor Martok, leader of the Klingon Empire, leader of Destiny!

I am doing some other Klingon missions, and zomg some mission from the Fed side is also on the Klingon side

Walshicus

Hail Chancellor Martok, leader of the Klingon Empire, leader of Destiny!

I am doing some other Klingon missions, and zomg some mission from the Fed side is also on the Klingon side
Those would be the Feature Episodes on the Breen, Devidian and Reman fronts. Same will happen with the Dominion arc coming up.

Droog

The STO Anniversary event seems to have come down early. :(

Pity, was going to use the last day to get the fiery party popper but hey, easy come, easy go!

EDIT: Q's back! He's now gracing us mortals with his presence until 7pm PST / 10pm EST / 3am GMT [2/7] as way of an apology.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Am I supposed to get a free ship at the rank of Vice Admiral? I've already talked to Quinn about the promotion, but they still want me to pay cryptic points for the Vice Admiral ships.

Q is not the one who gives you the Bortas as a Klingon.
Klingon you have to be at least level 21, so 23 is fine, there is an Engineer in close vicinity of where Q is the center of the city you talk to that will give you the Bortas mission
That I was able to get--but Q would not give me the Party Crashers mission. I wanted to do some KDF Party Poppin'.

Qwomo

So how on earth do I get a Centaur class? I'm not sure how ship stuff works in this game. Do I always start out with a Miranda regardless of department/role? And I have to guy "buy" the Centaur somewhere?

edit: Or is switching between Miranda/Centaur/whatever just a palette swap I do in a menu somewhere?

Tobor

So how on earth do I get a Centaur class? I'm not sure how ship stuff works in this game. Do I always start out with a Miranda regardless of department/role? And I have to guy "buy" the Centaur somewhere?

edit: Or is switching between Miranda/Centaur/whatever just a palette swap I do in a menu somewhere?

Centaur is a variant of the starting ship. You need to go the ship customization guy in the shipyard at Earth Spacedock. He's on the right when you enter the shipyard. From there you can choose Centaur, Miranda, or a third variant, or mix and match if you want.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I can't progress in the Klingon faction episode timeline. There is a common bug on the episode known as "Keep your enemies closer" where I have to raid Starbase 157, steal a runabout... I can't even get beyond the part where I have to disable the docking locks cuz whenever I try to go to the shuttlebay controlroom, I fall through the map into nothingness every singletime. I submitted this ticket twice, and seen others complaining about this on their official forum. So I can't progress till they fix this, which could be who knows when.
I experienced the same glitch. I don't want to skip the mission, so I guess that I'll have to wait. In the meantime, what's the best way to get all of the best equipment as a Federation character?

Medalion

Banned
I experienced the same glitch. I don't want to skip the mission, so I guess that I'll have to wait. In the meantime, what's the best way to get all of the best equipment as a Federation character?

You really oughta skip the mission, if yer at least a lvl 25, you can move onto the next one... there are millions of tickets and who knows how long it takes them to finish em up

That's what I've done already, I am eager to make Captain soon lvl 30 but I am a bit weary of redoing a particular episodic arc that was common in the Federation side

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So does everyone tend to mix up weapon types or try to focus on one and thus have improved output with the type-specific tactical consoles? My Prometheus is sporting three different types of DHCs and a quantum torpedo launcher up front, and some kind of beam array, phaser turret and a photon torpedo launcher (haven't obtained a better QT launcher yet) aft. Obviously the general energy and kinetic damage increasing consoles are are less of an improvement than a phaser-specific one. Are there any means by which enemies would be able to take advantage of a single damage type? I know there are the type-specific damage resistance engineering consoles, but I'd guess that most players don't use them unless they know exactly what weapons you're using beforehand.

Also, do the STFs cause ship injuries? I wanted to try getting into some of those eventually, but it'll be a pain if I have to keep repairing afterward.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
For weapons I usually go with the strongest torpedo launcher I have in front, the strongest mine launcher I have in the rear, and a mixture of whatever powerful phasers and disruptors in the remaining slots

DTKT

So yeah, Elite diff for missions is bullshit. I was one-shotted by some kind of captain. Ground combat is by far the weak point of this game.

Also, Borg invasion. What the hell? How do you defeat the last big ship spawn. It kept one shotting us. Not fun.

Finished all the episodes, guess I can work on my klingon or grind for mark xii gear? Not much else to do is there?

I'm in the same boat. All the episodes are done. I even have all XII Borg weapons (and 7 XII tokens for my future ship's weapons =P), an XII MACO shield, and I'm pretty happy with the Borg set for engines and deflector, cause with the console the 2 and 3 piece set bonuses are really quite good. No interest in the PvP aspect of the game. I want a MVAE to play with, so that's another ~1.5 month dilithium-to-Cryptic Point grind, but I have 100k of the unrefined stuff, so no pressing need to do dailies either. At least there's the new feature episode starting soon, that should be fun.

Time to play my Klingon!

Medalion

Banned
Klingon is where it's at if yer tired of the Fed side and done everything else

It's a whole other world over there, literally

So close to Captain but I am short some skill points cuz that freakin bugged episode won't let me finish it properly so I gotta do some repeat smaller missions like fighting the Fed and Romulans

Depending on my mood, I use either all antiproton or all polaron or mix all the beams up

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So yeah, Elite diff for missions is bullshit. I was one-shotted by some kind of captain. Ground combat is by far the weak point of this game.

Also, Borg invasion. What the hell? How do you defeat the last big ship spawn. It kept one shotting us. Not fun.

You won't do much against the Borg command ship unless everyone has a reasonably well-equipped ship. You need to destroy the regeneration probes whenever they appear, as they can heal the command ship. The big plasma bolts can one-shot any ship, but like plasma torpedoes, they can be shot down. I don't really have any strategy myself with it, but I just sort of keep making passes over the top of the thing, firing everything and then turning around and repeating.

Medalion

Banned
The Giant Borgified V'ger ship in those Daily Borg Invasions, there is a strategy... destroy the regen probes first, then park yer ass facefirst into the ship and fire everything spamming weapons and whatever else boosts firepower!!! If yer team members are smart, some will stay far enough to take care of the probes whilst I go in close and just unleash hell

I'm going polaron beams and quantum torpedoes

Since I have a +26% to quantum damage console I unleash all kinds of hell with torpedo spreads :D

Medalion

Banned
I made Klingon captain tonight, and got another new Raptor ship, the I.K.S. Predator

I made my way outta the Klingon sector and headed for Alpha Trianguli or whatever sector it's called, and started fighting alongside Federation players to kill Remans

I've developed a pretty standard but faithful plan of attack, cloak immediately, sneak up behind the enemy within 5000km uncloak, tractor their hull, and unleash the heaviest weapons fire I can before they can turn around and fight back... recloak, rinse and repeat

Zzoram

So does everyone tend to mix up weapon types or try to focus on one and thus have improved output with the type-specific tactical consoles? My Prometheus is sporting three different types of DHCs and a quantum torpedo launcher up front, and some kind of beam array, phaser turret and a photon torpedo launcher (haven't obtained a better QT launcher yet) aft. Obviously the general energy and kinetic damage increasing consoles are are less of an improvement than a phaser-specific one. Are there any means by which enemies would be able to take advantage of a single damage type? I know there are the type-specific damage resistance engineering consoles, but I'd guess that most players don't use them unless they know exactly what weapons you're using beforehand.

Also, do the STFs cause ship injuries? I wanted to try getting into some of those eventually, but it'll be a pain if I have to keep repairing afterward.

It's better to use all the same beam type, then get consoles that boost damage for that beam type, since the ones that only boost one beam type boost damage more.

Zzoram

That seemed cool until I read the part where it's 100CP to open a box =(

Oh well, wonder how much the Galor class will go for on the exchange...

A box with a stack of double bonus consumables that improve two stats in combat, instead of just one. For example, a Shield and Auxiliary Battery. There are 8 different consumables (4 for space and 4 for ground) available, and you’ll get a 5 item stack of one of the consumable types.

I got that crappy reward twice from Q before I gave up and just went for the party popper.

Medalion

Banned
I love DS9, and respect the Cardies, but am not too keen to fly any Cardy ships if I have to spend 100cp to possibly find one in a box

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I've always kind of mixed my beams for the different effects, but I think I may switch to all tetryon and then get a tetryon damage booster.

I am also considering getting rid of a couple torp launchers and replacing them with beams. I kind of like my current setup with a tricobalt and quantum torp in front and a tricobalt mine and transphasic cluster torp in back, but I wonder if replacing those with beams wouldn't be more effective in my cruiser.

Zzoram

I'm all beam arrays in a Galaxy at the moment. Feels good. So tanky and I can shoot no matter where my enemy is around me.

My DPS feels lacking when I'm not broad siding though.

Medalion

Banned
I've been sticking with mostly all uncommon mk xii Polaron Dual Heavy Cannons with rare Polaron energy boosters that deal devastating effects, but I mix it up once in awhile and throw in an Antiproton weapon or lately I have become enamored again with the Hargh'pang torpedo

On other news, the episodic content featuring the Dominion/Jem'hadar is coming up

http://startrekonline.com/node/2863

Feb 11th

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I've been sticking with mostly all uncommon mk xii Polaron Dual Heavy Cannons with rare Polaron energy boosters that deal devastating effects, but I mix it up once in awhile and throw in an Antiproton weapon or lately I have become enamored again with the Hargh'pang torpedo

On other news, the episodic content featuring the Dominion/Jem'hadar is coming up

Feb 11th

Hyyyyyype

Awww, disappointed to realize you can't stack up duty officers in your active roster that have the same effect. I wanted to load up on "chance to create an additional phaser or disruptor turret" types.

Zzoram

When you load a DOFF into your ground or space (I think max 5 at a time?) can you unload them back into the general pool to do DOFF missions?

Yeah. When I realized I couldn't stack them, I switched so I could have the one that looked like it had more beneficial attributes available for missions.

Feb 11th

Finally some actual content. Game has had such a large dry spell and the f2p transition took up so much resources

Shouta

I'm all beam arrays in a Galaxy at the moment. Feels good. So tanky and I can shoot no matter where my enemy is around me.

My DPS feels lacking when I'm not broad siding though.

I actually think my DPS is more when broadsiding but I use 8 arrays and I'm on my Odyssey lol.

Top Bottom