• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

Awww, disappointed to realize you can't stack up duty officers in your active roster that have the same effect. I wanted to load up on "chance to create an additional phaser or disruptor turret" types.

Some of them you can definitely stack. I think in general if they can't stack it won't let you slot more than one. For example, I'm using two reduce "Team" ability cooldown doffs and I get a combined effect on the reduction.

Any strategies for making sure the borg don't heal the transformers?

I'm thinking its pretty much impossible for a pug to do with no communication

Medalion

Banned
Destroy any Borg vessel that has "Nanite" in their name (i.e. Nanite Sphere, Nanite Probe etc etc) as they are capable of healing those Nanite Generators that heal the Transformers that feed power to the Gateway... drop immediately whatever yer doing and destroy those first at all cost, always be aware of your surroundings, and change camera perspectives from time to time

Also, I'm a threat machine, I seem to keep getting targeted by everything lol

Maybe I should respec and put more points into threat reduction?

What I would do for a WoW style threat monitor :p

Medalion

Banned
One may ask why would you want to be more of a threat

When in team scenarios against a huge enemy, one person or more has to be the one that draws the fire while another member of the team inflicts the most amount of damage without being blown up so often

This comes in hand for the Science captains, as they are seen as the ones who help out team members more than actually inflicting damage directly on targets, they heal team members and draw attention away from others

Indeed

I do have an Odyessey and enough self-healing skills to stay in a battle for a pretty long time while drawing lots of fire, but I also have strong offensive abilities and weapons when I transfer energy to attack mode

*shrug*

Walshicus

Other thing to consider about the Threat Generation skills; they give a small buff to damage resistance. If you're primarily a PvP player it's effectiveness is greater.

I don't know if it's due to the difference in how populated the areas are or what, but going back and forth between Federation and KDF characters over the last week my experience has been to have a lot less trouble with rubberbanding while playing Klingon.

Medalion

Banned
Moar info regarding the new ultra rare Galor Class Cardassian ship that can be found by chance in a Cardassian Lock Box
Minimum rank level to pilot this class of ship is level 40, or like a Rear Admiral lower half

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2866

Plus:
Smaller and more manueverable than most cruisers
Very good shields
has a unique weapon system that combines Phaser and Disruptor technology into a hybrid

Cons:
Slightly lesser Hull HP than most other cruisers
Very very hard to obtain by chance

DTKT

Any tips for ground combat? Weapons types to mix? Team composition? Skills to use?

Also, can I join the GAF fleet? :D

Medalion

Banned
new release notes on fixes and improvements, they claimed to have finally fixed the glitchy Starbase 157 "Keep your enemies closer" bug that many many people have already reported about for the Klingon faction side.

http://startrekonline.com/node/2867

@DTKT Sure, just give us your nick in-game and @ inside the game so we can add ya

Zzoram

Any tips for ground combat? Weapons types to mix? Team composition? Skills to use?

Also, can I join the GAF fleet? :D

Get some BOFFs to use Expose weapons, so you can use an Exploit weapon to disintegrate enemies in 1 hit once their shields are down.

Medalion

Banned
Meh, tried just now...they still haven't fixed the bug in that Klingon episode... maybe I gotta wait till tomrrow for some kinda patch but it's still fuckin up...

Walshicus

Meh, tried just now...they still haven't fixed the bug in that Klingon episode... maybe I gotta wait till tomrrow for some kinda patch but it's still fuckin up...

Was that the one in the shuttle bay? Turns out they had a new guy redoing it for the Feature Episode, but didn't realise it broke a Klingon mission... Should be fixed real soon. In the mean time, play "yln Chen" in the UGC section... ;)

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
My problem is that while I use spacebar and alt+spacebar, it really messes me up if I try using mines. I just end up flinging mines everywhere and nowhere useful when I am firing torpedoes.

Medalion

Banned
Server is back up now, they've applied the new patch outlined in the Dev notes

The new Cardassian Lockboxes should be dispersed as regular drop loot in various places, but you still gotta buy the Lockbox Key with Cryptic points to open em from Cryptic Store

Those galor class cruisers much be easy to get out of the lock boxes. I see a pop up telling that someone got one every few seconds it seems.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I had been trying to play the dilithium exchange like a commodities exchange, but sadly it only seems to be going up for the moment. Is there a set day of the month during which lifers and golds get their stipend? I know that I had gotten my 400CP way too early for it to be based on your signup date, as I got it while I was still in my 10 days from the Alienware code. That means I should still get at least one more stipend during the 30 days from my CE key. If only I had known it would be like this, I'd have sold my 400CP while the exchange rate was around 600D. As it is, I managed to buy some CP at 180D and then sell them back at 186D, but I guess the lockboxes will keep the rates going higher for a while.

I hadn't realized that you can also use the dilithium exchange to transfer dilithium between characters.

Server is back up now, they've applied the new patch outlined in the Dev notes

The new Cardassian Lockboxes should be dispersed as regular drop loot in various places, but you still gotta buy the Lockbox Key with Cryptic points to open em from Cryptic Store

Thats pretty dirty. Heres a box of stuff!.... just give us some money to open it.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I've used the borg, MK X Omega and Maco shields in Elites. Make sure you have resistance like ablative armor to help reduce the damage overall.
What's the best way to get these items? I've almost never actually encountered them in the game.

Medalion

Banned
Cardassian boxes are popping so much it's ridiculous, but I refuse to spend Cryptic points to open them

Gotta save up for that Defiant retrofit

I did make progress with my Klingon character, up to lvl 35, very soon 36 so I can continue the story progression with the Romulans. Thank god they fixed that stupid floor bug in the Starbase 157

The episodes to follow were amazing
we got to fight demons and spirits, ride a sailbarge of the Undead and go to Klingon Hell itself, fight alongside Kahless

Qwomo

Ugh that box shit is annoying.

Also is getting Cryptic Points super annoying or am I just dumb? Every time I try to buy them I get redirected to a place where I can buy Zen Points which then have to be exchanged at an unequal ratio to Cryptic Points or something? Is it purposely convoluted to make sure that people don't succumb to moments of dumb weakness? If so, it certainly works.

DiscoJer

Ugh that box shit is annoying.

Also is getting Cryptic Points super annoying or am I just dumb? Every time I try to buy them I get redirected to a place where I can buy Zen Points which then have to be exchanged at an unequal ratio to Cryptic Points or something? Is it purposely convoluted to make sure that people don't succumb to moments of dumb weakness? If so, it certainly works.

Yeah. Unfortunately this sort of random box is becoming more common in Western F2P MMORPGs. I hated them in Atlantica, but now they seem to be in LOTRO (same deal as in here, the box drops in the game but the key is in the store) and CoH seems to be getting them soon.

And yeah, I ran into that too. I guess it's actually due to Cryptic being bought out by Perfect World - the old players use Cryptic points, while new ones use the Perfect World money system. I imagine everyone will move over to the latter eventually, but it is silly.

Qwomo

This thread needs more pics.

THE USS BYZANTINE

34181239f3056503b72a197f4ddcfa8a6c0e8dcb.png

I've loved the Centaur class since forever, I know it's technically the "starter" ship but I wanna go through the whole game with it.

AND HER CREW, HELMED BY CAPTAIN SHIMURA

Medalion

Banned
Well you technically can use the starter ship throughout the game...

For a real challenge, I say play the whole game in a type 8 shuttlecraft for the truly hardcore...on ELITE

DiscoJer

Ugh, they borrowed the pop-up "So and so has received a so and such!!!" from Atlantica. At least there's no jarring music that goes with it.

This thread needs more pics.
I ran across some sort of Space Pee-wee Herman. Hope he doesn't use an Expose attack!
1HeSE.jpg

So when participating in a fight on Starfleet Academy grounds against holographic training opponents... blasting them from orbit isn't overkill, is it?
Nq4a6.jpg

I had a weird graphical glitch going on in an unknown system that looked like it should be something sci-fi cool. The farther I was from a planet/moon, the more of the edge would show a black starfield instead of the surface.
ksNpp.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I had a weird graphical glitch going on in an unknown system that looked like it should be something sci-fi cool. The farther I was from a planet/moon, the more of the edge would show a black starfield instead of the surface.
ksNpp.jpg
I get that one all the time. It's super annoying. It only happens (or is it that you can only see it) in areas where the background is NOT black. Something odd with how they do LoD stuff on the planets as you get closer, I think.

Thats pretty dirty. Heres a box of stuff!.... just give us some money to open it.
Except for the fact that you can open them without giving Cryptic a cent.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
And how do you do that?

Two ways.

1. Earn dilithium in-game, trade for cryptic points on the dilitihium exchange, use those points to buy keys.
2. Buy keys on the exchange for energy credits. Bought one last night for about 1.3 million energy credits.

Top Bottom