• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

Carcetti

Kar'fi has two hangars and can equip DHC up front. It's amazing in 5 man borg teams, and that's hard to give up. It's not very durable like other carriers but that doesn't hurt much in those scenarios.

Walshicus

Here's a fun contest. Whoever is first in the Fleet Contributions leaderboard by this coming friday wins two of the following:

1) Crossfire Tribble
2) Dilithium Horta pet
3) Runabout pet

Obviously excluding myself...

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Out of curiosity, how many of the 70ish people in the fleet are actually from NeoGAF? I'd imagine at least a few spots are taken by alts, but surely there must be at least a few more people who still have the game installed who could at least log on and contribute some more resources?

Walshicus

I've got two characters contributing. Mostly "Zakalwe@Walshicus" is there to run the dilithium dailies and get common DOFFs though. Might make another to get DOFFs since they're in short supply...

DarthWoo

If we ever need colonists at least I'll have plenty of those. Seeing how many I needed to complete every colonial chain on one character, I just started doing every "Resettle Colonists" assignment I saw and dumping spares into my mail. I think I probably have at least 50 stored in the mail, and another 15 on each of 3 Fed characters. Can't imagine a starbase ever needing colonists though.

Walshicus

I hear they're considering adding an assignment to convert higher quality DOFFs into lower quality DOFFs. You can do it the other way around already by talking to a contact in Starfleet Academy. That should help with things.

Carcetti

Well, I installed the latest update, perhaps going into the game today. Now I'm just wondering that if I won't go for the fleet ships, what other current goals there are? Is there gear better than elite borg stuff yet? I'm not even sure my guild is even alive anymore.

Walshicus

Well, I installed the latest update, perhaps going into the game today. Now I'm just wondering that if I won't go for the fleet ships, what other current goals there are? Is there gear better than elite borg stuff yet?
The best gear is tied to Fleets now. As you rank up the Starbase in each category (military, science, engineering) you unlock the ability to spend fleet credits (which you earn by contributing DOFFs, Commodities, Dilithium etc. to Fleet Projects) on new gear.

I'm not even sure my guild is even alive anymore.
If you want an invite to GAFleet, let me know. We're relatively active - and of course the more people contributing to Fleet Projects, the quicker they go. Plus I'm going to be giving out (trinket, in-game) prizes to the person who contributes the most each week.

The end-game content is probably at a stage where you can play casually a couple times a week and not get burned out. Run a STF for dilithium one day, do the Tholian missions the next day, defend the Starbase the next day and then end on a couple of the better Foundry missions.

If you're online when the Defera Invasion event is up, I've been finding that pretty fun. Shame it's on a very narrow timer.

Walshicus

Does anyone else see "Procht@JoshuaJSloane" constantly online in the fleet roster? I'm not sure whether there's something bugged about his account or not - private messages to him don't show up in the log and he's not responded in a good long time...

DarthWoo

Dumped some random green and blue Mk XII consoles in the fleet bank. It's all stuff I'll never use but which sells for crap on the exchange. If anyone has a use for it feel free to take it, but please don't just try throwing them up on the exchange.

Walshicus

I got a purple "Mk XI Phased Tetryon Cannon [CrtD] [CrtH]" in a lockbox yesterday. Sadly none are on the exchange...

I sold something for 15 million from Kerrat Warzone a few days past, but because I'm only Silver now my bank limit is 10 million. If the above goes for that much I might just spend the cash to upgrade my bank limit. You can get lockbox keys for 1.8 million a pop...

Walshicus

So, Darthwoo wins this week's prize of a Crossfire Tribble Lockbox for biggest contribution to the Starbase construction project.

Leaderboard so far:
  • 110,326 - E'Sel@Walshicus (me)
  • 64,944 - Kelinda@darthwoo
  • 47,238 - Medalion@Medalion
  • 21,180 - Furyo Dantex @ Sickboy007
  • 5,555 - Zakalwe@Walshicus (me too!)
  • 1,894 - Lisianthus@Bloodforge
  • 1,168 - Tulliver@sixtyfoursixtyfo

I think we're another week away from reaching Tier 1 in Science or Engineering at the moment (and thus reaching T1 for the base a whole). I think we'll rapidly get to Tier 2 for the Starbase after that, but it may take some time to reach Tier 3...

Walshicus

Won a Mirror Universe Star Cruiser (aka Sovereign look with Star Cruiser stats) lockbox this morning. Doesn't seem to be going for too much on the Exchange though - I was hoping it'd sell for 20 million-ish.

For the next Fleet Prize, I think I'll end the contest when we get our T1 Starbase upgrade.

Speaking of which, we need to make a decision; each mil/sci/eng Starbase upgrade nets 1000 Starbase XP. You need 1000 to get the tier 1 upgrade for the Starbase hull, and 4000 for the tier 2 upgrade.

We've been going fairly balanced across all three tracks, so we'll get 3000 starbase XP at roughly the same time. After that I think we should concentrate on *one* track to get to tier 2 quickly. Which track do people want?

(Hate to triple post!)

LordAlu

Hmm, maybe I should start playing this game again? I haven't played since it was pay-to-play, and I have an itch for some occasional MMO action.

Walshicus

Hmm, maybe I should start playing this game again? I haven't played since it was pay-to-play, and I have an itch for some occasional MMO action.
Basically, there's enough in the game now to keep you occupied as a casual player. Hop in, run some Duty Officer assignments, contribute to the fleet construction project and run a mission. You can try the Defera Borg invasion, the Nukara Tholian invasion, STFs, pvp, fleet defence missions...

Were you in Gaf fleet before?

LordAlu

Basically, there's enough in the game now to keep you occupied as a casual player. Hop in, run some Duty Officer assignments, contribute to the fleet construction project and run a mission. You can try the Defera Borg invasion, the Nukara Tholian invasion, STFs, pvp, fleet defence missions...

Were you in Gaf fleet before?
I honestly can't remember - I'm pretty sure I was but it was a long time, I stopped playing it as at the time there was practically no end-game. I can't play as often as I used to either, but since it's now free-to-play I may jump back in for the occasional session every few days :)

Walshicus

I hate you all making this thread keep popping up, downloading the game again -_-

Hah, good man. Thanks for the fleet contributions!

I'm hoping to do more regular fleet actions together, at the moment our projects seem to be constrained by how many Fleet Marks we have.

EDIT: I put my Mirror Universe Star Cruiser in the "Prize Fund" tab on the fleet bank. Will award out when we get to Tier 1.

Walshicus

I'm feeling a bit annoyed that I started the "Trade Mission to Gamma Quadrant" fleet project now. I just want to get through it so we can start the Limited Time project after it...

Anyone got Green-quality Trader DOFFs to contribute? ;)

DarthWoo

Took care of the traders. Cost me around 1.5M to do so since I didn't want to use my resolve ones. I'd suggest not pursuing any of the special projects unless they actually provide something other than exp. I've been told that they're basically just resource sinks so that members in larger fleets still have a way of getting fleet credits.

DarthWoo

We're finally up to the fleet project to complete our Tier 1 Starbase, but it's a doozy for materials. If anyone out there in GAFleet still has an account that you haven't used in a while and have some materials you could contribute, it would certainly help.

DarthWoo

The GAFleet now has its Tier 1 starbase complete; a little place for us to call home.

screenshot_2012-08-13-13-33-53.jpg

screenshot_2012-08-13-13-23-28.jpg

DarthWoo

It's Fleet Week currently, so you get bonus fleet marks from doing any of the usual fleet missions. Additionally, it seems you get 50 fleet marks from the Investigate Officer Reports daily mission, though I'm not sure if that's part of the week's event or permanent. Either way, it's a nice bonus. It looks like we'll be pretty set for marks for a while, although dilithium is always a limiting factor.

DarthWoo

Was kind of curious as to our project choices. The two variations of military have similar requirements apart from either needing 10,000 dilithium or a varying amount of EC, the price of 27 Peregrine Fighter hangars (about 100k) and 17 more common security/tactical DOFFs (highly variable, but I've seen as low as 30k and usually 100k at worst) which would come out to around 2M EC at worst, but more likely around 1.5M.

It seems like 1.5M-2M EC would be easier to come by than 10k dilithium, and the dilithium obviously has higher utility.

Walshicus

Good reasoning. I tended to select the Dil variants because people complained of DOFFs being the bottleneck.

Let's mix it up from now on and see which projects we get stuck on?

CMDBob

So, I relog into STO, and I find I have a shit tonne of Dilithium (104 thousand) and about 4k worth of Zen! Man. (I logged in to find the 900 day vet reward. That's how long I've been with STO. Then again, did buy a lifetime back at the start, heh.) I'll fire off that request for entry into the GAFleet.

Walshicus

So, I relog into STO, and I find I have a shit tonne of Dilithium (104 thousand) and about 4k worth of Zen! Man. (I logged in to find the 900 day vet reward. That's how long I've been with STO. Then again, did buy a lifetime back at the start, heh.) I'll fire off that request for entry into the GAFleet.

Defo - send it to ESel@Walshicus (or E'Sel@Walshicus - I can never remember which) and we'll get you in again, if you're not already.

We'll have to do a fleet run on some of the new missions.

Carcetti

Despite some weird stuff going on in the game (see main gaming side...) I'm really enjoying STO again. The space combat + doffing are good enough to draw me in and the fleet stuff is making the game a lot more social. Still hate lockboxes, but guess it's just something you have to endure.

Walshicus

Despite some weird stuff going on in the game (see main gaming side...) I'm really enjoying STO again. The space combat + doffing are good enough to draw me in and the fleet stuff is making the game a lot more social. Still hate lockboxes, but guess it's just something you have to endure.

I stopped hating the lockboxes about the time I realised I could make enough EC to buy two keys from the exchange a day, just by harvesting and selling particle traces from DOFF missions.

CMDBob

Lockboxes don't quite bother me either. Free Zen, lol.

Oh, and I sent 15k Dilithium into the interior redecorating special project. Gotta make the Starbase look nice.

Walshicus

Lockboxes don't quite bother me either. Free Zen, lol.

Oh, and I sent 15k Dilithium into the interior redecorating special project. Gotta make the Starbase look nice.

Did we get the Science Requisition project finished last night? I need to get me a Mk XII ultra-violet rarity shield...

DarthWoo

The provisioning project finished sometime last night, and at the behest of some members who were itching for a new project, I threw up a normal science fleet exp project, which I believe we finished in record time. The absence of dilithium from the project probably helped that along though. :) Once the shipyard project timer runs down, we should hopefully have more military projects. We'll need to do a shipyard provisioning project before anyone can consider buying any ships, though I don't know if any of the Tier 1 ships are that interesting.

Edit: On another note, do you think it would be inappropriate to mention STO in the Star Trek OT in OT? I know gaming stuff shouldn't necessarily carry over into OT, but I'm sure there may be at least a few people in the OT who don't really visit Gaming or Gaming Community.

Walshicus

Probably worth getting a mod's steer on that. I'd imagine the OT thread is intended as a discussion point for the fiction and the production of the universe. The "path to 2409" might fit?

I think the item/ship provisioning projects are worth getting done. They still grant 500XP for each track.

DarthWoo

So out of curiosity, how are we going to ration out the provisioned equipment and ships when the time comes for that? We'll get 10 requisitions for those shields, which should be good enough for 1 each per player. Is there any way to regulate that?

Top Bottom