• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Season Eight |OT| Star T-Rex

Walshicus

Header.png

IncomingTransmission.png

WhatIsSTO.png

NewToSeasonEight.png

FreeToPlay.png

HowToPlay.png

PlayableFactions.png

Classes.png

Starships.png

AlliesAndEnemies.png

Content.png

Foundry.png

GAFleet.png

Screenshots1.png

Screenshots2.png

Screenshots3.png

Screenshots4.png

Screenshots5.png

Screenshots6.png

Screenshots7.png

Screenshots8.png

Screenshots9.png

Thought we were due for a new thread to cover the Season Eight expansion being released tomorrow. The old thread is here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459005
The "GAFleet" is still pretty active, so come join in if you're interested!

An in-game bottle of Saurian Brandy to the first person who posts *that* picture.

Walshicus

That is one slick looking OP, nicely done.

Haven't played the game in ages.

It killed my video card once.

Thanks!

I suppose with the new big-ass adventure zones like the Dyson Sphere and New Romulus the game is probably a little bit more taxing than it was. That said, it can scale pretty well. If you don't mind dropping down to half resolution or something I'd imagine anything remotely recent could run it.

Savitar

Thanks!

I suppose with the new big-ass adventure zones like the Dyson Sphere and New Romulus the game is probably a little bit more taxing than it was. That said, it can scale pretty well. If you don't mind dropping down to half resolution or something I'd imagine anything remotely recent could run it.

Your welcome and no, I mean my video card at the time which ran everything at the best levels fried itself running that game.

I got a much better card now but never did jump back in.

Flipyap

"Dino Riders in space" sounded cute enough to grab my attention again (even if may be the exact opposite of what Star Trek should become), but now they're also going to add a Dyson sphere? This is so relevant to my nerd fetishes, I'm starting to think someone at Cryptic is hitting on me.
It looks pretty good, too: http://youtu.be/rN4ChPxjOvY?t=57s Yeah, I'm going to have to reinstall this, like, right now.

And while we're on the subject, let's all enjoy some art.

I'm enjoying the new content so far. The new STFs seem decent enough, and the Voth ships with the single invulnerable shield facing ability are a nice at bringing back a bit of the importance of positioning in space combat. The amount of power creep that looks to be coming with the new equipment makes me think s9 may finally see the level cap raise.

Hey. I left the GAF fleet yesterday since I wanted to remake my character to a Rom/Fed instead. Since I finally got to the point where I pick my allegiance. I could use another invite for the fleet. Grey@Nikku please.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I've never played this game but I like the Trek setting, is it possible to break myself into this by doing light exploring and is there much non-pvp/combative gameplay? I don't mind the odd bit of npc bashing here and there, but I'd like to try this if I can soak in the world a little. Should I give this a go?

I've never played this game but I like the Trek setting, is it possible to break myself into this by doing light exploring and is there much non-pvp/combative gameplay? I don't mind the odd bit of npc bashing here and there, but I'd like to try this if I can soak in the world a little. Should I give this a go?

There's a fair bit of combat, however the story quests that lead you through the leveling experience to max level are really really well done and very Star Trek-y. I'd say it's maybe 50/50 combat and Trek-like adventuring overall? A lot less skewed towards combat than other MMOs, and while the ground stuff is passable, the space combat is really great. The missions you do to level your way to the cap capture the feel of Star Trek perfectly, better than any other game that's attempted to do so, imo. It's F2P, so might as well give it a shot and see how you like the intro/tutorial. Getting to level 10 after that goes by quickly and should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Walshicus

Yeah, do the story missions as they're pretty good. I'd rate the campaigns as:
1) Romulan
2) Federation
3) Klingon

And then do a bunch of good Foundry missions. :D

DrBo42

The new Federation tutorial is live at this moment, yes? Might be time to jump back in with a new character and re-learn what's going on. I remember the space combat being fun while the ground missions were atrocious. Still the case?

Walshicus

The new Federation tutorial is live at this moment, yes? Might be time to jump back in with a new character and re-learn what's going on. I remember the space combat being fun while the ground missions were atrocious. Still the case?

New tutorial is live, yes. Ground combat got a revamp in the Season 4 update I think; I actually prefer it to space combat now, though others in the GAFleet would argue with me on that!

Feel free to re-join us, just post your character@account name and someone will fire a fleet invite to you.

DrBo42

Thanks for the info. I could swear I had a decent level character but it seems like my account has been wiped... I think I had some bonus items from the launch too.

Thanks for the info. I could swear I had a decent level character but it seems like my account has been wiped... I think I had some bonus items from the launch too.

I think actually what may have happened is sometime awhile back they had everyone migrate over from Cryptic accounts over to Perfect World accounts since the whole buying of the company from Atari. I haven't actually heard of them deleting accounts before, so that would be my guess. You can find out some more stuff from here:

https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4134

DrBo42

I think actually what may have happened is sometime awhile back they had everyone migrate over from Cryptic accounts over to Perfect World accounts since the whole buying of the company from Atari. I haven't actually heard of them deleting accounts before, so that would be my guess. You can find out some more stuff from here:

https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4134

Sorted it, thanks. My old account is still in GAFleet. Had no idea we could get a station. Just warped to it...blowing my mind.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I guess this is the STO thread for now.

question

is there any point to crafting any more?

Sorted it, thanks. My old account is still in GAFleet. Had no idea we could get a station. Just warped to it...blowing my mind.
What did you do?i had a decent ship/character, i had stopped playing for a while, now i swear its just gone and i really dont want to start from scratch

Walshicus

I guess this is the STO thread for now.

question

is there any point to crafting any more?

Not really, at least with the main crafting mechanic. There's still the not-quite-crafting way of running DOFF assignments hoping to get a purple MK XII console.

They keep saying they want to re-do crafting from how it currently is to a system that works more like DOFFs.

Top Bottom