• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War: The Force Awakens Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty disappointing if true. worst thing you can do is design a film around satisfying fanboys.

There is a thing of doing fanservice to the point of the thing becoming a a caricature of itself, but I am not opposed to the ideas of making a film for its fans. It really depends on how it is done.

To me, the excessive lightsaber battles of the prequels was such an attempt to do fanservice. It was the saving poster grace of the universe, and so of course the movies had to be smothered with those battles. And right after Episode 2 came out, people couldn't stop talking about how poetic and beautiful the battle of geonosis was.

Anth0ny

I'm sorry but introducing new characters and old in a template like ANH is pretty much Perfect. Star Wars was in such a bad place after the PT how can people complain about it getting back to feeling like Star Wars? We have two more movies guys this is a first act.

Agreed. A spiritual "retelling" of ANH is exactly what this franchise needs right now.

I'd expect them to start deviating from the originals more and more as time goes on.

Oddduck

Pretty disappointing if true. worst thing you can do is design a film around satisfying fanboys.

After Disney bought Lucasfilms for 4 billion dollars, I think they wanted to re-introduce Star Wars to a new audience, who might not have been familiar with the original trilogy.

This movie is just as much a reboot, as it is a sequel.

Dead

well not really...yet
There is a thing of doing fanservice to the point of the thing becoming a a caricature of itself, but I am not opposed to the ideas of making a film for its fans. It really depends on how it is done.

To me, the excessive lightsaber battles of the prequels was such an attempt to do fanservice. It was the saving poster grace of the universe, and so of course the movies had to be smothered with those battles. And right after Episode 2 came out, people couldn't stop talking about how poetic and beautiful the battle of geonosis was.
As long it isn't another Jurassic World. A nothing movie built on capitalizing on nostalgia while at the same time completely missing the point of the original.

Interfectum

Yeah, I feel like this is the only way this was ever going to go down. New pieces in a familiar formula to get the masses buying back in to Star Wars and then hit them with the real changes in episode 8. They were never going to do something totally different right off the bat. Is if safe? Yes. Does it work? Apparently.

Agreed.

Episode 7 is a sequel to a 32 year old movie... it's a bridge, which is why they went with JJ for this one. It's going to be the safest Star Wars of the new trilogy because it's main job is to re-establish SW to the masses as well as wash away the bad taste from the prequels. And from the looks of it the plan is going to work perfectly.

ryan299

This is exactly the same position that Star Trek was in. The TNG movies are shit, and JJ "saves" the franchise. Then Into Darkness happened. lol

lets not blame JJ completely for Into Darkness as its written by two of the worst writers in Hollywood. They gave us Transformers 2.

I don't mind all the call backs and making it feel like a New Hope but I do mind that there's a lot of shit that doesn't get answered. There's a difference between leaving some questions unanswered for sequels and what this film seems to do which is answer nothing based on several reviews I've read.

I'm completely okay with the most common criticisms. Setting up good characters and creating good jump-off points for VIII and IX while connecting the OT to this trilogy are exactly what this film had to do, and has seemingly succeeded at. That it apparently is heavy on the callbacks to the OT doesn't really take away from that, IMO, but I can entirely understand that it might bother some people.

Interfectum

At least it was trying to be different. Being safe is one of worst things you can do if you ask me.

I love how bringing Star Wars back to the masses by creating a sequel to Return of the Jedi is considered safe in any way, shape or form. It's incredibly disingenuous to write off a movie simply because it has multiple call backs to the movies it's a sequel to.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong about copying the template of the original trilogy. It's an archetypal plot and structure that works very well for what is basically a hybrid sci-fi/fantasy epic.

What I'm less ok with is if the original series ends up squatting possessively over the new one, instead of just being a source of inspiration.

I don't know how well they've pulled off this balancing act though. I may end up being totally ok with it.

Oddduck

At least it was trying to be different. Being safe is one of worst things you can do if you ask me.

Can you blame Disney for playing it a little safe with the first movie of a brand new trilogy?

They spent $4 billion on purchasing Lucasfilms, over $200 million on the The Force Awakening's production budget, and who knows how much they spent on marketing costs.

Interfectum

But right now, if we ask the majority of people who've seen it, the movie is good how it is.

So do they ask you, or ask 97% of the reviewers currently?

Wait to judge.

It seems like the narrative is already forming for the haters. The only reason people like the movie and it reviewed so well is due to the fanservice, not because it's actually a good movie.

Surely no one is suggesting that just being different is automatically better than being safe. Metroid: Other M was different. M Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender was different. Command & Conquer 4 was different.

I love how bringing Star Wars back to the masses by creating a sequel to Return of the Jedi is considered safe in any way, shape or form. It's incredibly disingenuous to write off a movie simply because it has multiple call backs to the movies it's a sequel to.
Didn't completely write it off. Just a little bit.
Its usually not interesting to me.
The prequels were different. But they were also mostly joyless.

Safe in this case was the best option. There are plenty of Star Wars movies coming. They can take chances in those.
Your right, general public will enjoy it but for me it's not good. I am very excited for rouge one as well.
But right now, if we ask the majority of people who've seen it, the movie is good how it is.

So do they ask you, or ask 97% of the reviewers currently?

Wait to judge.
I don't see how that matters to me.

Looks like, while almost every critic is talking about (and looking at this film through the lens of) the fandom's level of appreciation for the film, what's ACTUALLY happening is what I thought would bear out:

This is Star Trek '09, but with Star Wars. It's a greatest hits mixtape that works really well for current fans, but will work better for people who don't really give a shit, or are complete newcomers.

"The Fans" are getting hung up on the echoes and the familiarity, while the people who don't have that familiarity are just enjoying it for what it is. Meanwhile the media is telling everyone you have to already be a fan to even enter the theater.

it's kinda weird watching it play out.

(Abrams has now made two really good Star Wars movies. It's just the first was called Star Trek. And it was honestly, just a tiny bit better than this one is)

Looks like, while almost every critic is talking about (and looking at this film through the lens of) the fandom's level of appreciation for the film, what's ACTUALLY happening is what I thought would bear out:

This is Star Trek '09, but with Star Wars. It's a greatest hits mixtape that works really well for current fans, but will work better for people who don't really give a shit, or are complete newcomers.

"The Fans" are getting hung up on the echoes and the familiarity, while the people who don't have that familiarity are just enjoying it for what it is. Meanwhile the media is telling everyone you have to already be a fan to even enter the theater.

(Abrams has now made two really good Star Wars movies. It's just the first was called Star Trek. And it was honestly, just a tiny bit better than this one is)

where's your review

Goes up later this morning (it's only 300 words, print media is TIGHT with space), alongside a feature piece (wrote it about a week ago) that basically expands on the idea this movie is probably best experienced without jumping through all the weird "How do I become a good Star Wars fan" hoops that everyone's been pushing the last month and a half.

Has a really fucking awesome illustration from Mike Russell & Bill Mudron that goes along with it, too.

Another reason to ignore everyone and just watch the movie.

It seems like the narrative is already forming for the haters. The only reason people like the movie and it reviewed so well is due to the fanservice, not because it's actually a good movie.

No different than the narrative that the prequels so torched the franchise for the masses that making such a close approximation to Episode IV was absolutely essential to "save Star Wars"

-griffy-

Banned

Knowing your feelings of Trek '09, and how we seem to be in agreement about that (and Into Darkness), this makes me pretty damn excited.

Knowing your feelings of Trek '09, and how we seem to be in agreement about that (and Into Darkness), this makes me pretty damn excited.

I think you're gonna dig it. There's going to be some weird editing choices that jump out at you, I'm pretty sure. They definitely leapt out at me.

I can rest easy now that it's a FACT that Mad Max: Fury Road is the best film of 2015.

I don't think it was ever really a question that Force Awakens wasn't gonna get close to that movie on a filmmaking level. Abrams just doesn't have that shit in him, I don't think.

Nothing wrong with that. MOST directors couldn't do what Miller did.

PopeReal

No different than the narrative that the prequels so torched the franchise for the masses that making such a close approximation to Episode IV was absolutely essential to "save Star Wars"

Essential from a fans perspective is arguable. From Disneys perspective I do believe it was essential and what they expected.

I'd rather it be safe and good than different and fucking awful.

Sometimes the safe decision is the right decision. Nothing wrong with that.
For some people, sure.
Are you complaining that the movie has "poetry"? Because the prequels are ripe with it too.
Yes, but not to this degree it sounds like.
I don't see how your minority opinion matters to Disney/Lucasfilm.

Not trying to be a jerk. Just saying I don't think they're going to cater to you, so it's a pointless exercise to expect them to.
It doesn't but I never expected it to. I'm just saying my opinion on the subject.
If I wanted something different I'd watch something that wasn't called Star Wars for a start.
I've seen Star Wars stuff be different before so what do you mean?

Cheebo

Banned
Movie has what a 8.4 score and 97% after 140+ reviews? What in the world is there to be fretting about? That is well beyond most critical predictions here.

I don't think it was ever really a question that Force Awakens wasn't gonna get close to that movie on a filmmaking level. Abrams just doesn't have that shit in him, I don't think.

Nothing wrong with that. MOST directors couldn't do what Miller did.

Fury Road is a sort of anomaly in the realm of blockbusters.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

This conversation started when someone said "worst thing you can do is design a film around satisfying fanboys."

He said worst. The worst thing you can do is build a derivative movie for hardcore fans. There is literally nothing worse you can do than that.

But that's obviously nonsense. There are many things you can do that are worse than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom