• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War: The Force Awakens Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know..?

Pod racing and jarjars. Phantom menace, I think?

You want these:

-font-b-Star-b-font-font-b-Wars-b-font-4-5-font-b-6.jpg

The only Star Wars movie I've seen is Episode 1. Didn't like it all that much so I never saw the rest. I figure... If I don't like the original, why mess with the rest of the series?

This thread has me interested though. I might have to jump on the bandwagon.
I think that chances are slim that you are going to like the original trilogy if you watch it the first time in 2015. It got it's fair share of lows and especially in episode IV there is some horrible acting. In preparation for TFA we made our workmate watch all Star Wars movies and he thought that the old ones were horrible - and I can't even blame him.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Pod racing and jarjars. Phantom menace, I think?

Ah, yeah. That's Episode I but it's not the original movie. That's episode 4.

It goes.

Episode 4: A New Hope (1977)
Episode 5: Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Episode 6: Return of the Jedi (1983)

Then the prequels came out which a lot of people dislike, especially fans.

Episode 1: A Phantom Menace (1999)
Episode 2: Attack of the Clones (2002)
Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

If you're interested in giving Star Wars another chance I'd recommend starting with Episode 4 and if you like that one then watch 5 and 6.

In my opinion, only Episode 3 is any good in the prequel trilogy. Most fans hate all 3.

Timeaisis

Oh, good reviews. Glad to hear it. RT above 90 doesn't mean a whole lot, but it means it won't be bad! More I can ask for haha.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The only Star Wars movie I've seen is Episode 1. Didn't like it all that much so I never saw the rest. I figure... If I don't like the original, why mess with the rest of the series?

... But episode 4 is the original

My viewing for this tommorow is fully booked, i've never seen anything close to that at our cinema before.

You reckon getting there an hour before it starts would be enough time to ensure a good seat?

How old are you? :D

zsynqx

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18840-1360429701-4.gif

Cheebo

Banned

Exactly same story for me. I'm feeling left out :(

You guys realize Episode I is not the original one right!? You can't be serious. That is like thinking the Dumb & Dumber prequel that came out was the original Dumb & Dumber. Or that Wolverine: Origins was the original X-Men movie.

How could anyone be that in the dark and think this?

Interfectum

I do wonder if it'll drop below 90 at this point (I'm expecting probably 200 more reviews). I went mid 70s but that ain't happening.

Only way for it to drop below 90% is if all of a sudden a good majority of the late reviews hate it. Statistically I don't see that happening.

aerts1js

You guys realize Episode I is not the original one right!? You can't be serious. That is like thinking the Dumb & Dumber prequel that came out was the original Dumb & Dumber. Or that Wolverine: Origins was the original X-Men movie.

haha I laughed too.

Fireblend

Banned

You mean you saw IV, right?

Right?

Otherwise, you just posted the equivalent of saying you played Superman 64 so you gave up on gaming forever.

Did you just spoil two other franchises for me, Cheebo

You son of a bitch!

Only way for it to drop below 90% is if all of a sudden a good majority of the late reviews hate it. Statistically I don't see that happening.

Yeah, I agree with that. RT is thumbs up or thumbs down, no middle ground. Pop in a movie that by all accounts does really damn well as a crowdpleaser, and it should be good.

That being said, I could see reviewers dropping it down a bit just because. They love doing that.

Holy cow. I genuinely didnt expect it to review this well. I was expecting 60-70 decent-ish film. And I would have been happy with that. Sounds like this is a legitimately good movie. So happy to be wrong, this is great. :D

Sounds about what I expected, a remake of the old films to wash away the bad taste of the prequels and make some money off of the people who take pictures of themselves holding light sabers and get teary-eyed at seeing an elderly man wear the same clothes he did 40 years ago. I'll probably see it in a week or too once the theaters die down!

Hope the music is really good, even the prequels are pretty amazing on that front 😁

zsynqx

Is this expected to be the highest grossing film of all time? I imagine it can beat Titanic but not sure about Avatar.

giga

Sounds about what I expected, a remake of the old films to wash away the bad taste of the prequels and make some money off of the people who take pictures of themselves holding light sabers and get teary-eyed at seeing an elderly man wear the same clothes he did 40 years ago. I'll probably see it in a week or too once the theaters die down!
No fun allowed

Nice bait, mate

I don't give a shit about Star Wars but even I won't shit on fans like that. Also, the Spoiler Thread has been absolutely hilarious

Is this expected to be the highest grossing film of all time? I imagine it can beat Titanic but not sure about Avatar.

This has been the topic du jour for a few months now.

tldr; nobody knows

guek

Banned
Holy cow. I genuinely didnt expect it to review this well. I was expecting 60-70 decent-ish film. And I would have been happy with that. Sounds like this is a legitimately good movie. So happy to be wrong, this is great. :D
This ain't a Zack Snyder movie, bruh :p

Hope the music is really good, even the prequels are pretty amazing on that front 😁
Oh, I like you. :)

GOD DAMNIT I accidentally clicked the spoiler thread instead of this one and got spoiled big time. Oh well, fuck me.

I was worried about that happening to people. I like spoilers, but that's rough :(

What did you see? PM me, don't put it in here, naturally

Ahh sorry, haven't really been following it.

Hmm? Nothing to apologize for!

Star Wars fans seem to think it will, BoxOffice GAF is cagey on it, but everybody generally agrees it could bust the OW record

Nice bait, mate

I don't give a shit about Star Wars but even I won't shit on fans like that. Also, the Spoiler Thread has been absolutely hilarious

This has been the topic du jour for a few months now.

tldr; nobody knows
I mean, I want to see the movie too haha. Enough to avoid the spoiler thread! I'll just be happy if we see less of Harrison Ford in the next one.

cDlKFnz.gif

My viewing for this tommorow is fully booked, i've never seen anything close to that at our cinema before.

You reckon getting there an hour before it starts would be enough time to ensure a good seat?

I'm not going to see it until Monday but I'm going to a reserved seating theatre just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom