• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War: The Force Awakens Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny956

My viewing for this tommorow is fully booked, i've never seen anything close to that at our cinema before.

You reckon getting there an hour before it starts would be enough time to ensure a good seat?

It's crazy. I was going to take my niece this weekend. I usually do Sunday mornings as it's not that busy and I looked at the AMC that does assigned seating. There is just the corner seating left for a 9am showing on Sunday morning. I'll be waiting a bit I guess lol

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I think that chances are slim that you are going to like the original trilogy if you watch it the first time in 2015. It got it's fair share of lows and especially in episode IV there is some horrible acting. In preparation for TFA we made our workmate watch all Star Wars movies and he thought that the old ones were horrible - and I can't even blame him.

This is what I'm afraid of. I never really watched movies as a child and, for some reason, none of my Star Wars-loving friends ever talked to me about it. Now I've got people all in my ear telling me these decades old movies are the best things that have ever happened to humanity and I really really doubt that they can live up to that hype for a modern first-time viewer.

I'd almost rather Star Wars remain this unknown, legendary entity instead of a "pretty good series of films." That probably doesn't make sense, but I've never been a big movie guy anyways.

2015: The year a Mad Max sequel, a Rocky sequel and a Star Wars sequel are arguably the best movies of the year.

I'll plant my flag here and state with absolute certainty that this movie isn't nearly as good as Fury Road or Creed. I got no problem dying on that hill #StayWoke

I love this guy.

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Review: The Empire Strikes Out

C0miH0h.jpg
I'm probably going to write something similar after seeing the film.
That will be fun.

Fret

Just got back from a midnight showing in Australia

I haven't seen any of the original Star Wars films, only the prequels when I was younger, but I can say that it's definitely a good movie for the most part. The big issue I see with the film is the very derivative and extremely straight forward story. It's not very imaginative, honestly. The two main leads are great though, and its overall pretty fun.

zsynqx

Just got back from a midnight showing in Australia

I haven't seen any of the original Star Wars films, only the prequels when I was younger, but I can say that it's definitely a good movie for the most part. The big issue I see with the film is the very derivative and extremely straight forward story. It's not very imaginative, honestly. The two main leads are great though, and its overall pretty fun.

Simple stories, complex characters. Why the originals were so great.

Fret

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a breathlessly paced, relatively amusing and action-filled sci-fi adventure with top-tier production values and a strong sense of scale and scope. [...] The film follows the structure of A New Hope to such a significant degree that I spent much of the first act wondering if I was watching the Star Wars equivalent of Gus Van Sant’s Psycho. It also omits or neglects vital connective tissue and merely hints at a far more interesting story than the one we get. Considering what a precedent-setting franchise the original Star Wars was, it is not a little disheartening that this new installment does not blaze its own path, but rather rehashes its former glories for our approval.

People are making fun of him, but honestly this is absolutely spot on. Can't see many people defending this once they see the movie really.

ryan299

People are making fun of him, but honestly this is absolutely spot on. Can't see many people defending this once they see the movie really.

I thought it was a fair review. It's the same as Faraci's review, a weak story with awesome characters

Theecliff

Banned
God i hate movie bob. So goddamn pretentious, talks too fast. Also I'm a huge Abrams fanboy so as soon as he started talking shit I knew we were on different pages
thought that was a pretty good review myself. used to enjoy moviebob's stuff on the escapist, he definitely has some strong opinions on certain things though.

BigDug13

Maybe. He's saying its "not a little disheartening" so he was greatly disheartened. I just don't think I'm going to be greatly disheartened that this movie borrows a lot of elements of episode IV. I guess it's the cynical "I found these flaws and therefore I am greatly disappointed in the whole thing" sentiments that I usually can't get behind.

Fret

Maybe. He's saying its "not a little disheartening" so he was greatly disheartened. I just don't think I'm going to be greatly disheartened that this movie borrows a lot of elements of episode IV. I guess it's the cynical "I found these flaws and therefore I am greatly disappointed in the whole thing" sentiments that I usually can't get behind.

Well, I haven't seen the original trilogy and I agree with him

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's that in the best sense of the term. There are similar elements, but it doesn't fall into rehash territory.
I didn't hate Super8, but it just felt like I would have just had a better time watching ET instead of having someone give me their version of an 80s Spielberg movie.

I jokingly predicted that they'd just rehash the tired Joseph Campbell stuff to some people because I figured that would be the safest way to re-introduce Star Wars to people. I kind of wish I was wrong.

The film very much seems to be a better version of Into Darkness for both good and bad. For a lot of reviewers that only cite it being good, I wonder if that was the deciding factor.
I mean, I hope that's something that critics are aware of and are thinking about. I'd just rather see new stuff now, not nostalgia plays. If this is just Star Trek 2009, then that's fine. That's all I really needed to know about what direction they're going with the Star Wars films.

heyf00L

First, I haven't seen it or read any spoilers. But this is kinda what I was "afraid" of. A reboot or rehash could be good, but it could also drain interest. The trailer and poster really make it seem like it's going to follow the basic plot of Ep IV. If they really just do the same thing but 30 years in the future, where's the progress in the story?

Anyway, we'll see. And even if it is a rehash, I'm sure they'll take more liberties with Ep VIII.

Meowster

I was low-key expecting things to start to sink a little by the time I woke up but it looks like things are still slaying.. wow.. is the general consensus that it is the third best SW movie behind ANH and ESB?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
First, I haven't seen it or read any spoilers. But this is kinda what I was "afraid" of. A reboot or rehash could be good, but it could also drain interest. The trailer and poster really make it seem like it's going to follow the basic plot of Ep IV. If they really just do the same thing but 30 years in the future, where's the progress in the story?

Anyway, we'll see. And even if it is a rehash, I'm sure they'll take more liberties with Ep VIII.
If Ep8 is just a remake of ESB, then we'll know for sure what they're doing. lol

BigDug13

Well, I haven't seen the original trilogy and I agree with him

I don't see how. Isn't his stance predicated on having seen the original movies? How can you think it followed ANH structure so closely without seeing ANH? How can you say that you're disappointed that this movie didn't blaze its own path without having seen the original path?

Jarmel

Banned
I mean, I hope that's something that critics are aware of and are thinking about. I'd just rather see new stuff now, not nostalgia plays. If this is just Star Trek 2009, then that's fine. That's all I really needed to know about what direction they're going with the Star Wars films.

Yea I can already tell you're going to have issues with this one. The critics do seem to be especially aware of the 'nostalgia plays'. I mean one reviewer calling it a remake is sort of damning in that regards. That said, it seems like it does a good enough job remixing the old material. So like a better version of Into Darkness ;).

If Ep8 is just a remake of ESB, then we'll know for sure what they're doing. lol

I trust Johnson to not remake ESB.

inm8num2

Yea his points are fair and he makes a good case for why the movie didn't gel with him. Other people have similar observations about the story structure, but the positives of the visuals, characters, etc. far outweigh the movie's negatives. Nothing out of the ordinary. Not everyone's going to love something, and that's okay.

(Plus I just like his sinister grin in that profile picture.)

This reminds me that it's probably a good thing RT disabled comments on reviews a couple years ago. The backlash Armond White received for his negative TDK and Toy Story 3 reviews would be nothing compared to what the few negative TFA reviews would get. :p

_Clash_

Just seen it here in Australia.

Movie is good. If not a tad predictable. It's a full on love letter to the original.

I'd give it an 8 because it's Star Wars.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Thumbnail: Star Wars: The Force Awakens offers strong visuals and engaging new characters, but suffers from a slapdash screenplay that mimics the initial trilogy sans new context while overloading on generic action sequences, nostalgic callbacks and overt fan service.

Dammit. That's what I was afraid of. Mimicry of the original trilogy and tons of fanservice in an attempt to placate the fanboys.

yup. His review is pretty much spot on. But don't worry about the fanservice thing. It's fucking well done.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yea I can already tell you're going to have issues with this one. The critics do seem to be especially aware of the 'nostalgia plays'. I mean one reviewer calling it a remake is sort of damning in that regards. That said, it seems like it does a good enough job remixing the old material. So like a better version of Into Darkness ;).

I trust Johnson to not remake ESB.
Yeah, I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll watch it once and move on to Macross Delta or whatever else is coming out in January. lol
I don't even know if it's fair to blame JJ, because I'm sure Disney was up his ass to make the safest film in the history of digital celluloid, but his track record doesn't inspire confidence. Hell, maybe they hired him because of Super8 and Star Trek.

As for Rian Johnson, we'll see. I guess that's the real test, since he's still new enough to be a "fresh voice", but he also doesn't have a chance in terms of actually standing up to anyone.

PopeReal

The negative we are getting is the best negative possible. "It is too much like Star Wars."

We are hearing nothing of shitty acting, stupid characters, or poor directing.

Super stoked.

I'm sorry but introducing new characters and old in a template like ANH is pretty much Perfect. Star Wars was in such a bad place after the PT how can people complain about it getting back to feeling like Star Wars? We have two more movies guys this is a first act.

*Cough* Jurassic World
You mean that movie where they spend the first two hours talking about how dinosaurs are wild animals and shouldn't be given anthropomorphic characteristics but then ends with
T-Rex and Velicaptor high-fiving because they killed Evil Dinosaur?

97% on RT

WTF. Almost 150 reviews too.

Didn't think it'd to that well.

and yes the main negative ive been hearing being "its basically star wars" is good news. No more fucking rough sand getting everywhere.

Even the more middling reviews like Faraci's point out that it's less of a remake, and more of a remix, combining various elements of all 3 OT films and putting their own spin on it. Which sounds like a perfect way to reintroduce Star Wars, and introduce a new group of Characters.

Even the more middling reviews like Faraci's point out that it's less of a remake, and more of a remix, combining various elements of all 3 OT films and putting their own spin on it. Which sounds like a perfect way to reintroduce Star Wars, and introduce a new group of Characters.

Bingo this is what I was trying to get at.

PopeReal

I'm sorry but introducing new characters and old in a template like ANH is pretty much Perfect. Star Wars was in such a bad place after the PT how can people complain about it getting back to feeling like Star Wars? We have two more movies guys this is a first act.

If people take a step back they will realize this was the only real avenue available to JJ. He had to get this thing back on track. Disney couldn't afford for him to take any chances.

The prequels did too much damage. People and critics can call it fan boy service all they want but it was the only real way to right the ship. Now they can get a little risky.

Dead

well not really...yet
Dammit. That's what I was afraid of. Mimicry of the original trilogy and tons of fanservice in an attempt to placate the fanboys.
Pretty disappointing if true. worst thing you can do is design a film around satisfying fanboys.

I get the complaints regarding the film sticking too closely to ANH. I would rather have something completely new but the way i see it, it's okay if TFA plays it safe if that's what it takes to right the ship. Just hoping that the next couple of films aren't just TESB and ROTJ rehashes because then it would be a real bummer

MattyG

Banned
Yeah, I feel like this is the only way this was ever going to go down. New pieces in a familiar formula to get the masses buying back in to Star Wars and then hit them with the real changes in episode 8. They were never going to do something totally different right off the bat. Is if safe? Yes. Does it work? Apparently.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If people take a step back they will realize this was the only real avenue available to JJ. He had to get this thing back on track. Disney couldn't afford for him to take any chances.

The prequels did too much damage. People and critics can call it fan boy service all they want but it was the only real way to right the ship. Now they can get a little risky.
This is exactly the same position that Star Trek was in. The TNG movies are shit, and JJ "saves" the franchise. Then Into Darkness happened. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom