• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun game.

The attrition style of battles where bodies are just being thrown at each other and explosions going off everywhere really fits.

I'd like this game 10 times better if there were no weaponry unlocks though. It really doesn't need them, and it makes no sense to go through a bunch of matches under-equipped.

The purity of the game's simplicity here is what makes it so great.

Man, the Endor map on Walker Assault is so awesome. It feels so huge. The verticality is incredible. The map feels much more varied than the Hoth one. And it is downright beautiful.

mileS

What sensitivity are people using on ps4. Part of my problem right now is constantly switching. I know it depends on the person but I'm still curious.

MastAndo

My friends and I completely suck at this game, but we're having a blast with it. Four of us got together for a few beers, and passed the controller around with each of us playing for as long as we survived in various game modes. Mind you, we're in our mid-30's, so this hardly ever happens if not for sports and the occasional fighting game.

I own the game, as does the host of our get together, but the others don't, so it was a lot of fun just sharing the nuances of the game, and hearing them marvel over how amazing everything looks/sounds, and how well it captures the Star Wars universe. While it is an impressive technical feat only possible in today's day and age, the gameplay really does feel like a throwback to a different time in gaming. It's accessible to the layman, and that goes a long way for some.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how long this infatuation will last, but to me, the game has already given me and some of my friends our money's worth.

Anyone else hate how the minimap always displays locations? Can't ever play tactical :/.

And this is why the Emperor is becoming my favorite hero/villain.

https://youtu.be/R020ot-M6g4

Don't rush without a following, unless there's no other choice then try to stay hidden until your following arrives. Drop pick ups as often as possible, and play along with the Ion Shock emote!

Wow. They played together so well...On PC everyone seems to just run around doing their on thing :l.

demolitio

Walker Assault is an infuriating mode due to the selfish/clueless players right now, not the mode itself. I was on 3 straight rebel teams that won by saving their cards, orbital strikes, etc. for the AT-AT's and it was amazing, but each time the Imperials all rage quit the next map when they had to play Rebels. Then I had matches where only the Imperials won and the team would still rage quit thinking it's impossible to win as the Rebels. There's no winning it seems like, but that's my problem with modern day MP gamers period since any sort of focus on teamwork and winning doesn't exist in most games anymore.

Instead of learning from the team that wins, people just quit. Hopefully it gets better after a while. The only map I have trouble winning as the Rebels on is Tatooine since some of the spawns can be easily camped and there's a lot of chokepoints for AT-AT's to abuse, but I've won on there a few times as well.

I mostly play Supremacy since it's the closest to the old Battlefront games and just a few people can change the outcome of a match, but Walker Assault is a lot of fun that will hopefully be more competitive on a consistent basis as more people get used to it.

Then again, BF4 is the same way a lot of times. One side gets a bunch of campers that care about their KDR and the other gets a more balanced team with people trying to win so that's ultimately a bigger issue than the mode's balance. Not sure why games don't give you a shitload of XP or credits for doing the objective compared to everything else.

LiK

i like the game. pretty fun especially once you unlock the guns you like. only played Tutorials and Blast. will check out the other modes later. this is gonna be a pretty tough Platinum so i won't even attempt it. MP trophies are the worst lol

Ferrio

Banned
Played Hero hunt for the first time. Ya it's a fun mode, marred by stupid decision of last hit. The highlight was bashing Leia over back of the head as a final hit.

MiguelItUp

This game is awesome, I haven't even played all the modes yet. The authenticity is astounding. Honestly this has to be the most authentic original trilogy game experience I've ever had. The visuals and the sounds are incredible as well. I still can't believe how gorgeous Endor is.

On how many maps can you play supremacy?

4 maps currently. 5 when the "Free" DLC drops in December. After that gotta cough up for the Season Pass if you want anymore.

A little tip for anyone having trouble in Fighter Squadron. Pick the A-Wing on Rebel. You are A LOT harder to shoot at and the average person will need to use their missiles(two volleys) to take you down. Use your shield if you see lasers come your way and don't slow down while turning. Only use the evasive manuever if you see missile incoming. There were several matches(5-6) tonight when I played as Rebel that I didn't die a single time with the A-Wing. I'd expect some changes to the A-Wing's hitbox in the future. Hope that helps someone.

Some people on PC have godlike aim. I got two shot by a guy for south end of Sullust to the north end. I couldn't even see the guy after I died. How the hell, lol.

I can't hit anyone passed mid range. I do a shitty job of leading my shots. I either over due it or am way behind. Trying to practice though, but I play way better in TF2 style games. :\

B-Dex

Some people on PC have godlike aim. I got two shot by a guy for south end of Sullust to the north end. I couldn't even see the guy after I died. How the hell, lol.

I can't hit anyone passed mid range. I do a shitty job of leading my shots. I either over due it or am way behind. Trying to practice though, but I play way better in TF2 style games. :

This also annoys me on PS4. Godlike cross map kills that are from players the size of a pixel on my screen. We gotta get gud I guess.

CoLaN

The jetpack is seriously a game changer.

I see several people claiming this game is "shallow", lacks depth etc.

I do agree that the maps are nowhere enough for a multiplayer only game, but the comparisons with cs go to point that this game is shallow don't make much sense to me.

What makes a game shallow? Lack of recoil patterns? You still need good aim, especially for headshots. Also, following this logic, Quake 3 was shallow, and any fast twitch game with no recoil patterns to learn is shallow.

I spent years on Quake 3, no recoil, it required tons of skill.

I haven't spent so much time playing a mp game as much as Battlefront since years, its so damn fun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Endor's moon is so heavily weighted in favour of the Rebels it's hilarious. I don't even know how they're supposed to balance it, because it's the map design itself. One walker, two starter uplink stations quite far from the Empire and easily dependable. Same three stages. It's nigh impossible for the Walker to make it past the second stage, and playing as Rebel's it's effortless to clean sweep the Empire.

derFeef

Jakku is going to look nuts.
12248060_942509832502327_580461898165898168_o.jpg

Bizazedo

Not liking how good pistols seem to be. Really not liking how the game seems to refuse to autobalance between rounds / mix the teams up.

Fun, still, though :).

Yo the Millenium Falcon is OP as shit

Literally the only thing that killed me was Slave I crashing into me at the end of the game

I killed Slave I twice in one game simply by triggering the Falcon's shields and crashing into it. Had like 15k points at the end. I only lost like 3 HP each time. Yes, it's WAY OP.

Kosma

Banned
Endor's moon is so heavily weighted in favour of the Rebels it's hilarious. I don't even know how they're supposed to balance it, because it's the map design itself. One walker, two starter uplink stations quite far from the Empire and easily dependable. Same three stages. It's nigh impossible for the Walker to make it past the second stage, and playing as Rebel's it's effortless to clean sweep the Empire.

Wasn't the same said of Hoth in the Beta?

Since it's only 1 Walker it should have double the health. Won't fix everything but it would at least help I think.

Kosma

Banned
Yeah thats what I mean, I never saw a Walker go down in Beta, but now apparently its doable.

So Im sure they will balance Hoth too.

antitrop

What sensitivity are people using on ps4. Part of my problem right now is constantly switching. I know it depends on the person but I'm still curious.

12%

I don't see a need for high sensitivity when the auto-aim is so generous, all you need to do in this game is make fine adjustments, give half-leads, and compensate for recoil. The auto-aim takes care of the "twitch" part, as it pretty much snaps on to people when you ADS.

You can just alternately feather Left Trigger, Right Trigger and pick up kills in this game, that's how generous the aim is, it's almost like a Call of Duty single-player campaign.

Memory

My friends and I completely suck at this game, but we're having a blast with it. Four of us got together for a few beers, and passed the controller around with each of us playing for as long as we survived in various game modes. Mind you, we're in our mid-30's, so this hardly ever happens if not for sports and the occasional fighting game.

I own the game, as does the host of our get together, but the others don't, so it was a lot of fun just sharing the nuances of the game, and hearing them marvel over how amazing everything looks/sounds, and how well it captures the Star Wars universe. While it is an impressive technical feat only possible in today's day and age, the gameplay really does feel like a throwback to a different time in gaming. It's accessible to the layman, and that goes a long way for some.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how long this infatuation will last, but to me, the game has already given me and some of my friends our money's worth.

This is why I bought a Wii U and every local co-op PS4 game. You simply can't put a price on the fun times you can have with a few friends and some games. I hope they add some more vehicle modes to local co-op with dlc.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wasn't the same said of Hoth in the Beta?

Yes, but that was due to people not realising how to play the game. Stations would go captured. People will get better at Endor, but by design the Empire is placed at a disadvantage. The length is the same: three rounds. Rebels have two possible points to capture per round. Their only disadvantage is a lack of air support, like speeders, but it's already established that winning a round without tow cables is perfectly possible. Empire on the other hand have one Walker that must endure the entire stretch.

Hoth was an issue of Rebels playing the metagame poorly. Towards the end of the beta period wins/losses was an easy 50/50 on my end. It was tough, but good tough. Endor is *shrug*. One walker by default makes it easier.

Since it's only 1 Walker it should have double the health. Won't fix everything but it would at least help I think.

Something like this yeah would help.

Delio

Had a fun Fighter Squadron match. Match was not full so me, my friend and a third guy were left alone on Rebel side against five enemies. My friend grabbed the Falcon while me and the other guy held our own in an X-wing and a A-wing. We somehow were able to hold our own and win it out. Felt very Rogue Squadron like and I kind of geeked out at that haha.

Bizazedo

Had a fun Fighter Squadron match. Match was not full so me, my friend and a third guy were left alone on Rebel side against five enemies. My friend grabbed the Falcon while me and the other guy held our own in an X-wing and a A-wing. We somehow were able to hold our own and win it out. Felt very Rogue Squadron like and I kind of geeked out at that haha.
That is awesome, but I think that mode is going to go to shit very quickly. The Falcon needs a nerf badly.

Bishop89

just played endor for the fight time on walker assault.

That was the most visually impressive multiplayer game ive ever played.

Cant see the rebels for shit though!!

Ozorov

So I read that you cant play Survival-mode with random people? So you just pair up with another dude when you're searching the game but you have to invite etc. Is this true?

Lotto

I'm so terrible at this game, but it's too much fun. Laser guns actually feel a lot different than normal guns, who woulda thunk. I just finished a 3 1/2 hour session... probably the longest I've played a game in a single sitting in quite a while, and I only played Walker Assault the entire time. Gonna try some of the smaller maps tomorrow!

Impulsor

What loadouts are you guys using?

I'm using Upgraded Impact Grenade, Upgraded Jetpack and Upgraded Explosive Shot, I cycle around different weapons, mainly EE-3 and Dlt-19

Ferr986

I actually could play 1 online match yesterday before going to sleep, and it was in Squadron mode.

There's already quite a diference between players skills, some of them really knew their shit. I got the Falcon and got damn shit is broken lol Everyone was shooting at me but barely doing any damage.

Apart of that, I agree with the notion tht the X-Wing seems an easier shoot. It sucks because like hell I'll stop using them :(

Gotta say I didn't even change the controls, felt comfortable with them from the let go. Switching sticks makes reaching the evades button harder, and I'm one of those non inverted weirdos.

Looking forward to try all of the modes tonight.

Tak3n

Banned
it's funny isn't it that all I keep reading is fun, great laugh, frustrating, brilliant, all this goes to show how we have been brain washed over the years to need those 70000000000 million options you wont ever use to keep you playing, a lot of the negative posters have not even played it, all they see is lacking content and unlocking, shame really

Liberty4all

Banned
Omg the T-21 plus Homing Shot is godlike ... Probaly what folks above were complaint about. Once I tried this combo my kills are going through the roof. Not to mention the T-21 is great for clearing a hallway AND has amazing range. No scope but I'm getting better at hip fire, plus Homing Shot to pad my kills.

After playing every mode, my favorite is Supremacy for sure ... I like it MUCH better than Walker Assault. The other modes are mostly great although the droid one is a dud. I'm finding I get way more match xp overall in the smaller modes too. Blast was really fun ... Those ice caves holy shit.

SRTtoZ

Didn't expect to buy it but my friend and I are doing the gameshare thing and he offered. 5 hours later I'm having a blast... Get it?

Anyway yea this game is really damn fun to play and the sound is on point. Hearing all the glorious explosions on my Sony Golds is great. Seriously is there any cooler sound than the Thermal Implosion grenade?

About the lack of content, yea I agree. This is a game where you will probably have to buy the season pass to get the best out of it but damn is that expensive. I kind of wish there were more planets instead of the basics like maybe Naboo or something.

Overall a really fun game but I can see people wanting to wait until it's a bit cheaper so you can get more of your money's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom