• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

Finally got my copy from Gamefly tonight!

Did the Tutorial Missions which were a HUGE HELP for the vehicle stuff, would have loved to known that shit in the Beta. Still not my thing and I'll generally avoid it, but at least I know what's up there.

Play 7 games in Blast (? the 10v10 Deathmatch). People are SO FUCKING BAD at this game. Everyone. All sides. It is amazing. This is Casuals the Game. And it's fucking awesome. Won the first 6 games handily, lost the 7th mostly because we were down a couple people for a while. My K/D is over 2.0. People are so bad. And not in a "I don't know the maps or controls yet!" way, they're bad in the way that people who never play shooters and/or videogames are bad. Every match was generally 2, maybe 3 people on each team that actually knew what the fuck they were doing, everyone else just running around doing nonsense. Like people just running away, completely ignoring power-ups, all kinds of shit. Like there's a map on Tatooine that has the Millenium Falcom in the middle of the map as a central point. The entire match I was the only person on both teams who realized you could get on top of it and have a pretty good angle on all 4 entry points into the middle of the map. I think I went like 22-3 that match. If I ever needed a videogame to make me feel better about myself, this is it!

The game itself is pretty fucking rad so far, but I have less than an hour in the multiplayer so that means nothing so far. I have a feeling Walker Assault may or may not be a bust for me, but so far having a blast (ha!) with the 10v10 deathmatch. They also seem to be very smart about the map rotation, in that 53 minutes of game time I didn't see the same map twice. So far so good, but get back to me in like a week. Also note I am typing this under a Star Wars blanket right now so I am pretty biased, but at least I'll be honest about it.

Some real quick noob questions:

-On the AT-ST R1 homing missile attack, do you have to hold the lock-on button and continue to follow the fighter (or whatever I guess) until it hits it? I couldn't tell from the tutorial what kind of leniency I had with it.

-I'm kind of baffled on some of the weapons; like for example comparing the DLT-19 to the RT-97C on paper the RT is better hands-down across the board. Are there other factors at play in-game like recoil or something that would make that a choice, or are some weapons just flat out better than others? I guess I assumed that all of the weapons would be trade-offs.

Is it less rage-inducing than Black Ops III? lol, sometimes I need to play something more relaxed and laid back after a few matches of BLOPS3.

This game is way more rage inducing especially when you will get spawn camped left and right. Maps in this game are badly designed and if you are on the losing side you will get spawn camped towards the end. especially in supremacy mode.

shanafan

Eagerly awaiting rank 15 so I can unlock Human 9 head (blonde with the ponytail)

This game is way more rage inducing especially when you will get spawn camped left and right. Maps in this game are badly designed and if you are on the losing side you will get spawn camped towards the end. especially in supremacy mode.

Ha, I feel completely the opposite. Black Ops 3 is rage inducing for me, while Battlefront is so comfortable. I hear too many hitmarkers in Black Ops 3 that don't turn into kills, while I can at least see damage being taken off my opponent in Battlefront.

Ramirez

So I'm playing Supremacy a minute ago and get Boba to start the match, proceed to go 28-0 at Sandcrawler, and not a single fucking teammate pushes up to try and help cap it. People kill me.

Also, if you get the hero powerup on Empire and pick anyone but Fett, the game should auto boot you. ;P

Teemo

Banned
I didn't play the beta or follow the game closely, so I didn't see the feedback, but for the people who played the battlefront series on the ps2/xbox, what are your thoughts on this game not having a class system? I realized if the class system was back, everyone would be a sniper, but I do miss the different combat roles/abilities.

Hikami

Is it less rage-inducing than Black Ops III? lol, sometimes I need to play something more relaxed and laid back after a few matches of BLOPS3.

Just about the same. Everything is so unbalanced, teammates don't go for objectives, and now that tons of people have the jump pack they just get to higher ground and camp.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So I'm playing Supremacy a minute ago and get Boba to start the match, proceed to go 28-0 at Sandcrawler, and not a single fucking teammate pushes up to try and help cap it. People kill me.

Also, if you get the hero powerup on Empire and pick anyone but Fett, the game should auto boot you. ;P

Same happened to me. I swear people play every game mode like its tdm. It doesn't help that they completely dropped the ball with chat.

Vibrant

Banned
I don't understand how these idiots didn't know the game would have little content. No Clone Wars. No space battles. No single player. Even the beta felt bare bones. Maybe some gamers are just that stupid but I saw it coming from a mile away.

Now Dice and EA have made millions over, yet another, half asssed game. Good job.

MattyG

Banned
I'm probably getting this this weekend or next Tuesday. Question; My PC can definitely run this at higher settings than PS4 (970, 16GB RAM, i5-3570k), but how's the PC community looking compared to PS4? Are there any major issues on PC?

Ferrio

Banned

AkIRA_22

This is what I get when playing. I have no UI text at all, it makes changing the controls impossible; which i turn makes playing any flight mission frustrating as it defaults to not inverted for flight... who the hell flies not inverted?

EDIT: I'm playing on PC

JDPXI1e.png

antonz

I'm probably getting this this weekend or next Tuesday. Question; My PC can definitely run this at higher settings than PS4 (970, 16GB RAM, i5-3570k), but how's the PC community looking compared to PS4? Are there any major issues on PC?

Have seen no issues as far as community. Middle of the day can click join game and it will find games. Click find games now and it has no problem finding games. Few people actually chat in game since its high paced so no need to worry about abusive players spamming N word etc

Gator86

I've had a copy of the game for two days and finally forced myself to play it. All the beta feelings came back almost immediately. The game is fucking boring. Shooting feels limp, you're slow as fuck, you have no moveset, and every gun feels the same. Every single part of this game is masterful except the actual gameplay. I figured I would rent it in case the beta just didn't click for some reason but this is probably heading back to gamefly in the next couple days. What a waste of such an amazing presentation.

MNC

So first impressions, fun game but I'm missing a lot of freedom. The content is mostly enough for now (haven't reached my limit yet) but things like spawn point selection retracts a bit from the playing freedom and strategy.

Crisium

Thanks for the inspiration. I had only previously played Boba for about 20 seconds before a round ended and didn't get to do anything. I just played him twice and got 18 and 16 kill streaks with him. The 16 was until we won the round so I had room to go. My best is a 32 kill streak with Leia, but that was mainly because I was very cautious. Boba has the best DPS, great range, and excellent mobility. He's the best.

Bastables

Just for my sanity please every one remember that if you have ion torpedo card or are flying in some sort of tie fighter you can one hit kill a Y wing thereby saving our walkers of peace.

paskowitz

Now I feel like an idiot. How do you zoom in while playing as Boba Fett?

Press the right stick IIRC.

Ugh. I suck as Boba and I realize he's one of the better players too. I'm better with him than I am Han, I guess. Need moar training.

The trick is to be outside... but not in the open. Always have a tall object to go behind or fly to the top of.

Thanks for the inspiration. I had only previously played Boba for about 20 seconds before a round ended and didn't get to do anything. I just played him twice and got 18 and 16 kill streaks with him. The 16 was until we won the round so I had room to go. My best is a 32 kill streak with Leia, but that was mainly because I was very cautious. Boba has the best DPS, great range, and excellent mobility. He's the best.

Yep, best. Leia can be deadly with royal guards. Great objective defense hero.

Also FYI, if you are Vader or Luke you can block lightsaber attacks... by blocking. Crazy how nobody realizes this.

Dr Prob

Banned
We used to joke around a bit about what DICE would come up with in Battlefront after the drastic increase in cheap lock-on shit in Battlefield 4. They didn't disappoint. Hello Homing Shot!

I know it isn't all that bad, you can get behind cover/dodge. Just find that thing funny.

"People seem to really hate the Stingers, guys. I have an idea: Stingers for infantry!"

Lyonaz

Just for my sanity please every one remember that if you have ion torpedo card or are flying in some sort of tie fighter you can one hit kill a Y wing thereby saving our walkers of peace.

On Hoth I used an AT-ST and shot 3 Y-wings out of the air with homing rockets and regular fire which pretty much saved the match. Felt so good.
They also always come from the same side, so it was easy too.

Durden77

Got to play this for a few hours tonight. I love it. It's just such a nice shooter. Not the most complex, and absolutely beautiful and fun. I haven't bought it yet, and I'll most likely wait until Christmas for it. Not that I necessarily would have too much problem spending 60 bucks on it, but getting it for free sounds much more appealing. It is a bit lacking in content, and while I love the almost easy-going nature of the gameplay, I also can tell it will make things feel a little shallow sometimes. It's going to be the perfect game to turn on every now and then and get a fix.

Particularly something I wish they would've done though, is allow you to choose a side, Rebel or Imperial, and have you fight for your side in some sort of galactic war stat tracking type deal. Whether it would've just been a certain mode, or all encompassing, it's a missed opportunity for me. It could've been awesome feeling like you were truly fighting for your side.

And also because fuck Rebel scum I don't ever want to be them, let alone have their guts on the bottom of my Imperial boots.

Say what you want about content or whatever, but this game is fun as hell.
I think this gen has been all about quantity vs quality. We've seen some real heavy hitters with amazing core gameplay but scant content, along with games that maintain the meatier amount of content from late last gen, but middling gameplay. Its a rare treat that manages both quality and quantity, these days especially.

As for Battlefront, 1): I don't know how they're capable of this kind of awesome at what seems a truly solid 60fps. I mean god damn. And 2): There is a simple purity here like DriveClub, where you toss all the complexity aside and just jump in, get fully immersed, and go to town. Its pretty wonderful. Don't know if its balanced or anything, but win or lose, it all feels like Star Wars, and its all been a good time.

Bastables

On Hoth I used an AT-ST and shot 3 Y-wings out of the air with homing rockets and regular fire which pretty much saved the match. Felt so good.
They also always come from the same side, so it was easy too.
Lol serves me right I got a at-st right at the end of a match and was not able to hit the speeders that took down our at. I like to pretend I could have saved the game with a mouse. :(

Bishop89

I have no idea how you even become a Hero, or how the pickup looks like. I have never seen a single one.

its a normal pickup icon which looks like a lightsaber.

Unrelated: Whole team firing at a walker will never not be cool as fuck to see. All that concentrated firepower...

I have no idea how you even become a Hero, or how the pickup looks like. I have never seen a single one.
I swear I got a hero pickup once, but I don't know what happened. Never did get a chance to unleash it.

Its pretty neat that you can get the option to be a guard for the hero. At least for the Emperor both me and my buddy were able to spawn in as his guard and wreck stuff.

We also ran into a player that seemed to be invulnerable. Taking us all down, but none of our shots seemed to do any damage. Sure as hell looked like hax, but I have no idea what it was and couldn't find anything on the PS4 to report it.

Bastables

I swear I got a hero pickup once, but I don't know what happened. Never did get a chance to unleash it.

Its pretty neat that you can get the option to be a guard for the hero. At least for the Emperor both me and my buddy were able to spawn in as his guard and wreck stuff.

We also ran into a player that seemed to be invulnerable. Taking us all down, but none of our shots seemed to do any damage. Sure as hell looked like hax, but I have no idea what it was and couldn't find anything on the PS4 to report it.
Apprantly it's a glitch to do with crashing a fighter in a particular way that results in the player becoming unkillable next time they spawn.

So what are you all using 1st or 3rd person?
I use 3rd person for a wider view but my shooting accuracy feels worse.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game but its way more rage inducing than Blops 3 to me.

The way you can get blasted from afar and the terrible spawns at times...ugh.
I don't think I can be near the top of the leader board in WA or Supremacy, how do fools rack up +50 kills? Crazy.

slash3584

This is really the perfect Star Wars simulator.

Played like 4 hours last nights with some friends and had a blast.

The only issue I have with the game is that on objective based modes (cargo, supremacy, walker assault) most of the people just go Rambo about it and don't pay attention to the objectives.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Gravemind IV/video/12820558

I love Palpatine (only got to play on Endor, but he seems to work really well there). Not only is his force lightning a lot of fun, the people that spawn in on you have always seemed to really stay with me and act as my personal bodyguards.

Also cracked up at the Rebel at the end there, unloads the entirety of a heavy blaster in me at point blank, gets zapped when it overheats.

NightOnyx

Supremecy is so frustrating when you have a lot of teammates playing it like team death match. I don't know why the concept of defending a control point is so hard to understand. Some players only want to attack. Actually it's more like just run out and get murdered. Still loving the game but that crap is super frustrating. On the other hand, it feels great when you have a group that knows what they are doing, or even better, when both teams know what to do and you have a very competitive match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom