• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyG

Banned
Alright, fuck it, I'm in. I thought I was going to need what little was left in my bank account to pay for lunch with a friend this weekend, but that's not going to happen, so I'll drain my account on this instead. It's installing now.

Not entirely sure what's going on. Suddenly everyone tanks a billion hits and I die immediately.

Also the impact grenade is some straight up bullshit, getting killed the second I turn a corner because I shoot and he just throws it.

Raptor

The Endor levels looks fantastic but it's sooooo hard to find anyone.

Hope Dice put some EP3 camouflage troopers in this to balance things out.

Gree-ROTS.jpg

:p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Excellent! Now I just need to find them!

I still sort of wish the vehicles were just placed like in Battlefield. I'm not sure what the benefit of the icons is.

I'm guessing they figured having Tie fighters and X-Wing just laying around Hoth or Endor would look silly compared to a jeep or tank in a war zone on Earth? I dunno.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is anyone else getting constant "lost connection to PSN" errors after selecting a game type? It's driving me crazy. All other MP games play perfectly fine.

I'm guessing they figured having Tie fighters and X-Wing just laying around Hoth or Endor would look silly compared to a jeep or tank in a war zone on Earth? I dunno.

I'm actually ok with the flying vehicles being icons. That way you don't have people parked back at the "runways" but the land vehicles seem like they could easily be scattered around in natural looking way. Almost like little supply depots. Not a big deal though!

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
the last two hours I was playing Hero battle against a buddy of mine. What a great and fun mode, I really hope future DLC als adds maps and Heroes to this mode.

Playing this against good friend is maybe one of the best things in the game. Makes me wonder how many people have actually played this mode against a friend, not many I suppose.

Excellent! Now I just need to find them!

I still sort of wish the vehicles were just placed like in Battlefield. I'm not sure what the benefit of the icons is.
Main benefit of the icons is that you can place them on the frontlines, as opposed to people camping the back of their spawns waiting for a vehicle. End of the day both methods are pick ups, not seeing the big deal.

Also adds authenticity since you won't see a stormtrooper hop into a TIE Fighter and fly off as opposed to a proper TIE Pilot

Theorry

I dont know whats going on with this game. I am not a bad player. Regular on top at Battlefield and Destiny but this game feels so weird in the gunfights. One round i go 22-2 and the next round i go 5-9 with the same gun. Its stupid.

JimiNutz

Banned
I need tips on what weapon to use... I'm lvl 25 with all weapons unlocked but either I'm really bad aiming with sensibility at 35 on XBO or I don't choose the best weapons... I normally use the RT-97C for it's rate of fire... but I get outshooted 50/50 all the time even starting the shootout first leaving the enemies with 10~30 HP left...

I didn't get more than 10-11 kills and 8-9 deaths.

I was the same. In the end I decided to pick the E-11 since that seems to be the most balanced and jack of all trades weapon.

I figured I'd stick with that weapon and just try and get good with that. Have massively improved since I made that decision. It's pretty decent at all ranges and is a beast if you headshot with it. Barely any recoil either so it's nice and easy to use.

So does anyone know if you can get the season pass when the first DLC releases? Or does it eventually go away? First DLC decides if I want it.

Alright, fuck it, I'm in. I thought I was going to need what little was left in my bank account to pay for lunch with a friend this weekend, but that's not going to happen, so I'll drain my account on this instead. It's installing now.

That sounds like an expensive lunch.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You made the right choice. The food lasts for 15 min then is shit. Literally.

If you get more than 15 minutes of enjoyment, it was the better buy. ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So does anyone know if you can get the season pass when the first DLC releases? Or does it eventually go away? First DLC decides if I want it.

Both Battlefield 3 and 4 still have the season pass (aka: premium) for sale. So yeah. Season pass should be available forever.

Wish there were stats for time doesn't in each game mode, until then wins will have to do as a rough estimate. What ate everyone's most played game modes?

Z5iPSEt.png

Go to the Battlefront app and view stats. Also lol at Droid Run getting called Domination.

Wish there were stats for time doesn't in each game mode, until then wins will have to do as a rough estimate. What ate everyone's most played game modes?

Go to the Battlefront app and view stats. Also lol at Droid Run getting called Domination.

Pastry

Banned
I'm actually ok with the flying vehicles being icons. That way you don't have people parked back at the "runways" but the land vehicles seem like they could easily be scattered around in natural looking way. Almost like little supply depots. Not a big deal though!

Jets in vanilla BF4 spawn you in the sky anyway so yeah that makes sense. But the land vehicles should be visible, and the Rebels should have something! I get that there is no land vehicle for them in the OT but make something up for Christ sake so they can counter AT-STs. The lack of vehicular combat is kind of disappointing.

MNC

Oof, after a few rotations on a certain game mode (and after maps started to repeat a few times) I started getting bored. Let's hope that playing in small spurts helps the longevity.

They really fucked up the unlock scheme; You should not lock aliens behind level 40. Give some more incentive than just regular faces.

So I have around five hours so far and I’m enjoying it, but I can’t really play it for long periods of time or I get bored. I mainly play it in short burst. Enough cannot be said about the graphics and sounds, they are absolutely stunning, and easily the best I’ve ever seen. The performance is amazing too; I’m averaging about 80 fps with everything on ultra, playing on 1080p. Gameplay is simple and fun, but I really understand the criticism about the lack of content. It has a lot of potential so I hope it gets better. I was thinking about getting the season pass, but I’ll hold off on it until I know exactly what they are going to do. However, I am worried about the PC population, but its Star Wars so I don’t think I’ll ever have too much trouble finding games in the future.

This is actually exactly the boat I'm in. I'm still enjoying it, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They really fucked up the unlock scheme; You should not lock aliens behind level 40. Give some more incentive than just regular faces.

It's rubbish, yeah. Number walls suck and they suck even more when they're that high and in a game that's inherently about quick fix arcadey fun. A lot of Battlefront is a bit baffling in that way, holdovers from games like Battlefield and the modern standard set by other games. That incremental, drip feed unlock shit.

prag16

Banned
Having some issues; guess it's lag related?

Very often I pump several blasts into somebody and they kill me. Sometimes when it shows their health, they're down to like 7 or 9%, and I'm like, "Okay fine, I almost got them." But a lot of times, it'll still say 100%, or something else very high like 80%+ and I'm thinking, "What the crap, I got like 3-4 hit markers!!!!"

Part of it is that I need improvement, no doubt. Part of it is DL-44 spam. But that can't account for how often my health is CoD hardcore mode, and whoever I'm shooting at's health is Halo style or something.

I'm not seeing any of the REALLY visible lag or lag comp stuff. But I do see the stuff I sometimes saw in CoD where someone comes around the corner and I'm dead almost simultaneous to them appearing on my screen before I can even get my gun up.

How's everybody else faring in terms of this?

It's rubbish, yeah. Number walls suck and they suck even more when they're that high and in a game that's inherently about quick fix arcadey fun. A lot of Battlefront is a bit baffling in that way, holdovers from games like Battlefield and the modern standard set by other games. That incremental, drip feed unlock shit.
It definitely feels unnecessary in this game but imagine the complaints about progression if everything was given to you from the beginning.

"There are no unlocks, what is even the point!?"

I'm by no means suggesting that should influence game design decisions, but I'm willing to bet it does.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I just really like how simple and fun this is.

I don't want to care about how many kills/deaths I got or any other stats. I don't want to watch kill cams and wait to respawn. I don't want to create crazy load outs and have killstreaks.

I can just jump straight into a game and start shooting without worrying about of that stuff. If I die I can be right back into the action within seconds. Sure, there is an objective so it's just not mindless but it's so refreshing after playing cod/battlefield/halo etc

Gonna get the season pass for sure.

Boke1879

Anyone down for some Walker assault or Supremacy matches later this afternoon? Kinda want to get a party of like 8 people and play for a couple hours.

If you're down I'm on PS4. Boke18

MADGAME

It definitely feels unnecessary in this game but imagine the complaints about progression if everything was given to you from the beginning.

"There are no unlocks, what is even the point!?"

I'm by no means suggesting that should influence game design decisions, but I'm willing to bet it does.
Warhawk had all weapons available to everyone from the start, and it was successful.

Ric Flair

Banned

It doesn't really make sense either. It's star wars, they should randomize your default face your given for free and then you should be allowed to unlock any face you want for 1000 after that.

Daffy Duck

Spoke to my friend today who was pretty hyped about getting this, he's pissed that it has no story mode and is just an online only game.

Surprised he didn't know though to be fair.

Iceman829

Having some issues; guess it's lag related?

Very often I pump several blasts into somebody and they kill me. Sometimes when it shows their health, they're down to like 7 or 9%, and I'm like, "Okay fine, I almost got them." But a lot of times, it'll still say 100%, or something else very high like 80%+ and I'm thinking, "What the crap, I got like 3-4 hit markers!!!!"

Part of it is that I need improvement, no doubt. Part of it is DL-44 spam. But that can't account for how often my health is CoD hardcore mode, and whoever I'm shooting at's health is Halo style or something.

I'm not seeing any of the REALLY visible lag or lag comp stuff. But I do see the stuff I sometimes saw in CoD where someone comes around the corner and I'm dead almost simultaneous to them appearing on my screen before I can even get my gun up.

How's everybody else faring in terms of this?

It comes and goes. I'll shoot at someone running directly at me and they will take little to no damage and I'll fall over if a light wind hits me. Then the next match I'll run a train through the other team. It seems random, but so far better than how BF4 launched

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is there an issue with making Hands? Whenever I make a second it just resets to nothing or becomes the same as my default once I leave the Star Card menu.

Vodh

Is there any trick to making the companion app sync with the game? I'm logged in to my EA account on both, got my PSN linked, the app is showing my PSN avatar and name, but stats say I haven't even played Battlefront and my credits on both are 100% separate...

UK btw, and I've installed the app before I fired up the game if that matters.

Edit: fixed it, had to go to settings, PS4 was enabled, so I switched to PC and then back to PS4 and now it's all correct.

Okay? Battlefront is not COD. The arcadey and casual gameplay is conducive to unlock accessibility and not similar to COD so that comparison is irrelevant.
You really aren't following me are you? I'm not arguing that all of that stuff would make BF a better game, I'm talking about critical reception based on standards created by modern shooters.

"Slick production values, solid controls, and tons of fan service can't make up for mediocre progression and a lack of content." - Giant Bomb

"But then you’ll reach the outer edge of this game’s progression system, or you’ll get a little too familiar with the four landscapes on offer, and the magic will wane." - Guardian

"It was fun for the time I got out of it, but the lasting appeal, the lacking sense of progression, and the repetitive nature quickly pushed me away from the game." - GBATemp

"That spectacle, however, soon wears off and what’s left is a game with too few weapons, maps and heroes." - Hardcore Gamer

"If you’re looking for a shooter stacked with substance, engrossing character progression, and endlessly addictive gameplay to sink your teeth into for the months ahead, Star Wars Battlefront misses the mark." - Forbes

Call of Duty 4 changed the game for MP shooters. It's very difficult for a shooter to come out these days and do well critically without a ton of "progression", regardless of how meaningful or additive that progression is.

My entire point was that the game probably would have been panned even harder if everything was given to you from the beginning, even though I think that would make the game better.

One of the first MP games where I want to try a few game modes every night I play. Usually, I get comfortable in a mode like CoD and have a hard time not playing that mode exclusively.

MADGAME

You really aren't following me are you?

Just because you make a bad point doesn't mean I don't follow you. You said imagine the complaints it would get if there were no progression. As if the progression unlocks in the game aren't already getting complaints, from both people who want progression unlocks but BF's sucks and from those that feel everything should be unlocked.

I simply pointed out a game that played similar and did very well.

Side note - I, like many gamers who have been playing for over 30 years, don't care about reviewers who make money from critiquing games and getting clicks. The best judge of a game, movie, food or anything is yourself. Feel free to post a walk of review snippets though.

Just because you make a bad point doesn't mean I don't follow you. You said imagine the complaints it would get if there were no progression. As if the progression unlocks in the game aren't already getting complaints, from both people who want progression unlocks but BF's sucks and from those that feel everything should be unlocked.

I simply pointed out a game that played similar and did very well.

Side note - I, like many gamers who have been playing for over 30 years, don't care about reviewers who make money from critiquing games and getting clicks. The best judge of a game, movie, food or anything is yourself. Feel free to post a walk of review snippets though.
His point though was that Warhawk came out before COD4 changed the standards for shooters, so saying Warhawk did fine without all that nonsense is moot.

I say standards for lack of a better term. I hate that it has become standard, but it doesn't matter and people need something to unlock or they loose their mind. Personally I'd love if all unlocks even cosmetics were there from the start.

Vodh

My entire point was that the game probably would have been panned even harder if everything was given to you from the beginning, even though I think that would make the game better.

With the rest you're 100% spot on, but I like the progression here. There's just enough to make me excited about trying a new blaster and making the first few games after buying Jetpack that much sweeter. I also like the fact that it makes me want to try out all the different things (and helps me keep track of the things). The credits are generous enough that you can buy a new cool thing every few matches, thank god they didn't ruin the system with microtransactions. And yeah, seeing a bar fill up and thinking of how I'll be upgrading everything to max even after I get my preferred loadout upgraded does make me happy, call it a guilty pleasure.

Not sure what critics dislike about it either (except for the abysmal character customization), the bloat of 'reach rank 20 and unlock a weapon and then level that weapon to rank 3 before you can change the stock or rank 5 for a marginally different stock' combined with most weapons having like 10 different parts loses its appeal to me after a couple matches TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom