• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because you make a bad point doesn't mean I don't follow you. You said imagine the complaints it would get if there were no progression. As if the progression unlocks in the game aren't already getting complaints, from both people who want progression unlocks but BF's sucks and from those that feel everything should be unlocked.

I simply pointed out a game that played similar and did very well.

Side note - I, like many gamers who have been playing for over 30 years, don't care about reviewers who make money from critiquing games and getting clicks. The best judge of a game, movie, food or anything is yourself. Feel free to post a walk of review snippets though.
Is it your custom to quote the first sentence of a post and ignore the rest? Seems that way based on the relevance of your responses.

The progression system in the game is primarily getting complaints because there isn't enough stuff to unlock, at least from how I understand it. I used quotes from reviewers because they are people who have written these thoughts so it's easy to use them as an example. Personally I think the game would get even more complaints from critics and players if there was no progression whatsoever, as I mentioned in my original post. I don't think this is a far-fetched claim as nearly every popular shooter in the year 2015 has some form of player progression.

Warhawk is a worthless comparison in the scope of this conversation because it launched prior to Call of Duty 4, as I mentioned in a previous post. It launched at a time before players and critics craved the type of player progression made famous by CoD4. If Warhawk launched in the year 2015 I have no doubt the game would be heavily criticized for its lack of player progression. Hell, even a series like Halo now has some form of it.

Maybe if you took a minute to cool down and actually understand my point you'd realize that we probably agree more than you think.

Having some issues; guess it's lag related?

Very often I pump several blasts into somebody and they kill me. Sometimes when it shows their health, they're down to like 7 or 9%, and I'm like, "Okay fine, I almost got them." But a lot of times, it'll still say 100%, or something else very high like 80%+ and I'm thinking, "What the crap, I got like 3-4 hit markers!!!!"

Part of it is that I need improvement, no doubt. Part of it is DL-44 spam. But that can't account for how often my health is CoD hardcore mode, and whoever I'm shooting at's health is Halo style or something.

I'm not seeing any of the REALLY visible lag or lag comp stuff. But I do see the stuff I sometimes saw in CoD where someone comes around the corner and I'm dead almost simultaneous to them appearing on my screen before I can even get my gun up.

How's everybody else faring in terms of this?

Try and play with Scan Pulse(star card) and see if even with you knowing exactly where they are if you still get beaten. If that is happening then I'd probably attribute it to lag. The hit registration is just sometimes all over the place. I'll be using the DL-44 going up against a counterpart doing the same and we'll each 2-3 shot each other. Then every once and awhile we'll have these 5-6 second long skirmishes directly in front of one another landing shots and it'll just keep going. It's very strange.

Stainless

Off work today & going to play some walker assault- I'm nicky420 on PSN, so if anyone wants to party up I'm sure I could use the help

Hagi

The Imperial customization is pretty shitty. Having just Scout Trooper and Shadow Trooper as unlockables is a real missed opportunity. Why no Shock Trooper or Magma Trooper? They are already in the game. Running round as a Tie pilot or even a AT-AT pilot wouldn't have been a bad idea either. After watching Clone Wars and seeing all the cool armor types the Clone Troopers had I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have like Dice to riff on that.

Bond007

God I love this game.
Its alittle bare bones sure but man is it fun....im at about 9hrs play now loving every moment. This will likely be my first season pass ever...im just too much of a Star wars nut. Surely EA/Dice know they are printing $$$

Anyone on PS4 getting endless loading screen sometimes when trying to join a game? The first couple of days had literally zero issues. Now every couple of game mode changes it'll happen and have to close application and restart.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm looking for some UK players on Xbox One for this weekend. I'm happy to play any mode at all.
My K/D is 1.2 and my win ratio is 60% so I'm not particularly good but I will be on for most of the weekend.

Please only add if from the UK or EU and speak English.

GT: NutJobJim

The Imperial customization is pretty shitty. Having just Scout Trooper and Shadow Trooper as unlockables is a real missed opportunity. Why no Shock Trooper or Magma Trooper? They are already in the game. Running round as a Tie pilot or even a AT-AT pilot wouldn't have been a bad idea either. After watching Clone Wars and seeing all the cool armor types the Clone Troopers had I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have like Dice to riff on that.

This kinda goes with what The_Darkest_Red has been explaining. The game has been criticized for being light on maps, customization, and progression.

Honestly, I think if the game had been robust in at least one of these areas, it wouldn't have received as much criticism and would have scored higher:

If it had an insane customization system but kept the current progression and map system, that would have been more palatable.
If it had an insane progression system but kept the current customization and map system, that would have been more palatable.
If it had an insane map count but kept the current customization and progression system, that would have been more palatable (and is the preferred option for me, personally).

But it's light in each of those areas, so the complaints, and "lite" feeling, are compounded in a way when compared to almost any other MP shooter.

Is there some secret to not dying a ton? :) I play Walker Assault, and I keep getting killed super quickly by people I can't even see without zooming my weapon. I end up getting a decent number of kills, but still end up one of the last places because I die so much. Maybe I just need more practice.

If the game would just highlight enemies like it does good guys it'd be a lot easier to survive.

Are there summaries of what game modes beginners should play? The game recommended the first Box which is deathmatch... Any others I should have a crack at?

Are there summaries of what game modes beginners should play? The game recommended the first Box which is deathmatch... Any others I should have a crack at?

All of the modes are pretty simple and have little tutorials in front that explain how the match works.

If you want to learn how to actually use vehicles, abilities, etc., you may want to try the offline scenarios first...but I recommend jumping into Walker Assault and experiencing all the beautiful insanity ASAP :D

This kinda goes with what The_Darkest_Red has been explaining. The game has been criticized for being light on maps, customization, and progression.

Honestly, I think if the game had been robust in at least one of these areas, it wouldn't have received as much criticism and would have scored higher:

If it had an insane customization system but kept the current progression and map system, that would have been more palatable.
If it had an insane progression system but kept the current customization and map system, that would have been more palatable.
If it had an insane map count but kept the current customization and progression system, that would have been more palatable (and is the preferred option for me, personally).

But it's light in each of those areas, so the complaints, and "lite" feeling, are compounded in a way when compared to almost any other MP shooter.

Customization is so easily fixed Dice should get on it asap,
even if it costs players money.

Let us choose body variants already in game,
add flight suits
+ other designs seen in OT(i'd buy prequel as well but seems out of the question) like the Yavin Ceremony Guards or the Rebel Fleet Trooper.

Heck i'd be fine with Rebel custom versions of stolen Empire gear for $$$.
Not exactly like this but
latest

a Rebel tie fighter for example. Ezra Bridger's helmet as well.

MADGAME

Is it your custom to quote the first sentence of a post and ignore the rest? Seems that way based on the relevance of your responses.

The progression system in the game is primarily getting complaints because there isn't enough stuff to unlock, at least from how I understand it. I used quotes from reviewers because they are people who have written these thoughts so it's easy to use them as an example. Personally I think the game would get even more complaints from critics and players if there was no progression whatsoever, as I mentioned in my original post. I don't think this is a far-fetched claim as nearly every popular shooter in the year 2015 has some form of player progression.

Warhawk is a worthless comparison in the scope of this conversation because it launched prior to Call of Duty 4, as I mentioned in a previous post. It launched at a time before players and critics craved the type of player progression made famous by CoD4. If Warhawk launched in the year 2015 I have no doubt the game would be heavily criticized for its lack of player progression. Hell, even a series like Halo now has some form of it.

Maybe if you took a minute to cool down and actually understand my point you'd realize that we probably agree more than you think.

My custom? No, and I wouldn’t call it ignoring but with that comment and telling me to cool down maybe you should take a few deep breaths and count to ten. When I’m addressing a specific part of someone’s post that was lengthy, I find it polite to cut out the wall of text for others reading the forum. Especially so when the majority of the content are baseless and conclusory review snippets along with a reiteration of your previous post.

COD 4 released a couple months after Warhawk, yet WH enjoyed a strong community for years so you can say it is a worthless comparison, but you are wrong. You can still find Warhawk games on PS3.

I don’t agree with you. I don’t feel the people who already like the game, and those who already don’t would provide notably more complaints if all weapons were unlocked from the start.

I kind of what a random scenario option for multiplayer. It loads up a different game type each time (Supremacy, Blast, Walker Assault etc). The only problem is that you wouldn't be able to play with the same group due to player size for each type.

This game is full of beginners currently. So far the most competitive modes I have noticed are Cargo and Drop Pods. Hero Hunt would be a good mode to figure out the movement and controls but the mode itself is pretty garbage. Once you have everything down, I'd go into Heroes vs Villains and get a feel for the different characters and their powers. From then on just do anything that tickles your fancy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Posted before but it doesn't seem like anyone else is having the issue with the game not saving any Hands? Was driving me nuts this morning.

This game is full of beginners currently. So far the most competitive modes I have noticed are Cargo and Drop Pods. Hero Hunt would be a good mode to figure out the movement and controls but the mode itself is pretty garbage. Once you have everything down, I'd go into Heroes vs Villains and get a feel for the different characters and their powers. From then on just do anything that tickles your fancy.
Drop Zone is the best infantry only mode. The others aren't great, especially Droid Run and Hero Hunt. I haven't given Cargo or Blast a fair shake yet.

I just really hope that the DLC includes classic Conquest with classic spawning. That's the worst thing about this game, the haphazard spawning.

teokrazia

Just played a Heroes vs Villains match.
People started to rage quit.
First 6vs4.
Then 6vs2.

I hate to rape players in unfair ways, but there was no option for switching team nor autobalance.

Then 6vs0.

And the game continued, starting every single remaining round, until the end.

FFS, DICE.
This is stuff that I could barely tolerate from a team at his first MP game. :/

arimanius

Just played a Heroes vs Villains match.
People started to rage quit.
First 6vs4.
Then 6vs2.

I hate to rape players in unfair ways, but there was no option for switching team nor autobalance.

Then 6vs0.

And the game continued, starting every single remaining round, until the end.

FFS, DICE.
This is stuff that I could barely tolerate from a team at his first MP game. :/

I had the same thing happen last night while playing cargo. On the positive side it made completing the capture 15 cargo challenge easy.

All of the modes are pretty simple and have little tutorials in front that explain how the match works.

If you want to learn how to actually use vehicles, abilities, etc., you may want to try the offline scenarios first...but I recommend jumping into Walker Assault and experiencing all the beautiful insanity ASAP :D
Ok cool I'll check the tutorials later.

Btw where do you get that thermal imploder that sounds as awesome? I couldn't see it in the unlock menu at all..

What are the cool guns/hands that people recommend?

My custom? No, and I wouldn’t call it ignoring but with that comment and telling me to cool down maybe you should take a few deep breaths and count to ten. When I’m addressing a specific part of someone’s post that was lengthy, I find it polite to cut out the wall of text for others reading the forum. Especially so when the majority of the content are baseless and conclusory review snippets along with a reiteration of your previous post.

COD 4 released a couple months after Warhawk, yet WH enjoyed a strong community for years so you can say it is a worthless comparison, but you are wrong. You can still find Warhawk games on PS3.

I don’t agree with you. I don’t feel the people who already like the game, and those who already don’t would provide notably more complaints if all weapons were unlocked from the start.
You think it's a coincidence that all MP shooters these days launch with some form of player progression? They just implement those systems for kicks?

Expectations change with time and if you think the majority of players don't expect player progression in a modern shooter you are delusional or haven't been paying attention.

Im glad they didn't go crazy with customization so we have stupid shit like pink stormtroopers, but they really could have dug out more options. Like others have said, put in skins for other trooper types like pilots, gunner/engineer, the fleet troopers, at st drivers, etc etc.

Im glad they didn't go crazy with customization so we have stupid shit like pink stormtroopers, but they really could have dug out more options. Like others have said, put in skins for other trooper types like pilots, gunner/engineer, the fleet troopers, at st drivers, etc etc.

D
LC

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's still impossible to find a match on PC with less than 200 ping in Australia.
So that's fun.

How are you seeing your ping? Console command?

The Goat

Game is a fun distraction, for a few rounds, but I don't have the desire to keep playing. I was hoping the additional game types would flesh it out to a total package, but each mode feels like a shell of other games.

Not trying to piss in anyone's cheerios, if you love it, more power to ya. It's fun, for what it is, but I wanted more.

Customization is so easily fixed Dice should get on it asap,
even if it costs players money.

Let us choose body variants already in game,
add flight suits
+ other designs seen in OT(i'd buy prequel as well but seems out of the question) like the Yavin Ceremony Guards or the Rebel Fleet Trooper.

Heck i'd be fine with Rebel custom versions of stolen Empire gear for $$$.
Not exactly like this but
latest

a Rebel tie fighter for example. Ezra Bridger's helmet as well.

Yup. There's really no excuse for it--but honestly, DICE has always been bad at customization. Weapon camos in Battlefield are fine, but player skins/camo options have always been "meh".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom