• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

This game is so much fucking fun.

I just sunk 2 hours into supremacy without even blinking.

I'm getting much better as well using the controller. 20% sensitivity seems to be the sweet spot for me. I've learnt that avoiding ADS is the key to success in close/middle distance combat scenarios.

5taquitos

So for the DLC releases, I kinda hope they go for two big maps per pack, along with one small and one medium. There are already a good number of small and medium maps, but this game really needs more big ones. I don't even care if a few of the new big maps use the same general locations as the launch maps, like Endor or Hoth, as long as the maps are different. Bumping up the large map count will do wonders for this game.

Pastry

Banned
So for the DLC releases, I kinda hope they go for two big maps per pack, along with one small and one medium. There are already a good number of small and medium maps, but this game really needs more big ones. I don't even care if a few of the new big maps use the same general locations as the launch maps, like Endor or Hoth, as long as the maps are different. Bumping up the large map count will do wonders for this game.

I agree, content is probably set for the first pack but they're probably adjusting their plans for the later ones.

BTW what happened to their fair and even playground policy? There are always those two or three players dominating everybody else with a 4 or even 5:1 KD ratio. I mean okay, they are better. I have no problem with that, but I seriously bought the game because I thought it would allow good players to play against other good players and not mix it up. It is not even fun anymore

I mean seriously that was a fucking lie!
Yeah, I'm always killed by people holding powerful weapons I don't have access to at my low rank. Definitely not an even match.

Vaga

What the hell was DICE thinking putting a fucking useless boost on imperial ships? Yeah let's give rebels a 10 second shield enough for them to make a getaway. It's ridiculously advantageous. And the hp on falcon and slave 1 is another facepalm.

Other than that fighter squadron is damn fun and addictive, wished matches would last at least twice as long.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really wish there was a single player campaign for this.

Please Dice...

Makoto

What the hell was DICE thinking putting a fucking useless boost on imperial ships? Yeah let's give rebels a 10 second shield enough for them to make a getaway. It's ridiculously advantageous. And the hp on falcon and slave 1 is another facepalm.

Other than that fighter squadron is damn fun and addictive, wished matches would last at least twice as long.
I agree about the speed boost. Though I gotta say, despite what I'd consider an imbalance, it seems the deserving team does win the match regardless of which side they're on in fighter squadron.

GHG

Speaking of shit weapons... I unlocked the Ion Torpedo earlier and when ever I try and fire it, it doesn't work. Is there something I'm missing/doing wrong here?

5taquitos

Speaking of shit weapons... I unlocked the Ion Torpedo earlier and when ever I try and fire it, it doesn't work. Is there something I'm missing/doing wrong here?

It will lock onto vehicles if you zoom in and hold the reticule over the vehicle for a few moments. Once you have a lock, you can fire.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My review went up the other day. It's mostly incoherent rambling as I was having a hard time getting across how I feel, but my TLDR thoughts on Battlefront thus far is that it's a really fun, solid multiplayer shooter that benefits from more arcadey gunplay and presentation over DICE's Battlefield. But it also feels like a game that rests too heavily on the laurels of the source material for identity and individuality over being a distinct, well rounded game design by its own merits. Where you could take Battlefield's iconic Conquest 64 (and class system) and transplant it to any setting and time period (real or fictional) and still go "Oh hey, this is definitely Battlefield", Battlefront has nothing like that. The closest it has is Walker Assault, which could have been its Conquest 64, but DICE have stretched themselves so thinly (likely due to time) over catering to numerous other game modes that it never feels proper deep in design. Part of this can be attributed to the skewered balance of vehicles, equipment, and power-ups, which are devoid of the tighter know-your-role play in Battlefield are more like Super Smash Bros. random item and power collection. The straddled on unlock system for cards also feels out of place in a game that is most fun in quick bursts across a bundle of modes, where card abilities like the jetpack that enhance the moment-to-moment probably should have been part of the starter gear. Same goes for the more interesting aesthetic unlocks, like aliens, being locked behind a level 40 number wall.

So yeah. Great fun game and I hope people keep playing so I can keep playing. But it's lacking a coherent vision and depth, and unique identity beyond "It's Star Wars and that's cool". It just so happens to be really fucking impressively Star Wars, and that's a good thing.

My review went up the other day. It's mostly incoherent rambling as I was having a hard time getting across how I feel, but my TLDR thoughts on Battlefront thus far is that it's a really fun, solid multiplayer shooter that benefits from more arcadey gunplay and presentation over DICE's Battlefield. But it also feels like a game that rests too heavily on the laurels of the source material for identity and individuality over being a distinct, well rounded game design by its own merits. Where you could take Battlefield's iconic Conquest 64 (and class system) and transplant it to any setting and time period (real or fictional) and still go "Oh hey, this is definitely Battlefield", Battlefront has nothing like that. The closest it has is Walker Assault, which could have been its Conquest 64, but DICE have stretched themselves so thinly (likely due to time) over catering to numerous other game modes that it never feels proper deep in design. Part of this can be attributed to the skewered balance of vehicles, equipment, and power-ups, which are devoid of the tighter know-your-role play in Battlefield are more like Super Smash Bros. random item and power collection. The straddled on unlock system for cards also feels out of place in a game that is most fun in quick bursts across a bundle of modes, where card abilities like the jetpack that enhance the moment-to-moment probably should have been part of the starter gear. Same goes for the more interesting aesthetic unlocks, like aliens, being locked behind a level 40 number wall.

So yeah. Great fun game and I hope people keep playing so I can keep playing. But it's lacking a coherent vision and depth, and unique identity beyond "It's Star Wars and that's cool". It just so happens to be really fucking impressively Star Wars, and that's a good thing.
Wonderfully said, I agree completely.

Cake Boss

Banned
For the love of god I must be the only one that can't use the T11, it takes 4 shots for me to kill someone with it, but it takes someone 1-2 shots to kill me with it seems.

Alienous

Is Blast, or any of the smaller player-count game modes, any good? It doesn't seem too compelling in the footage I've seen. Something like that to round out the experience could get me to pick this up.

5taquitos

Is Blast, or any of the smaller player-count game modes, any good? It doesn't seem too compelling in the footage I've seen. Something like that to round out the experience could get me to pick this up.

The smaller modes are some of my favorite actually. Blast, Cargo, HvV, and Drop Pods all get lots of playtime from me. Some of the small maps are amazing too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blast is mindless fun and that's okay but IMO the small maps leave a lot to be desired. A lot of the same encounters over and over again with no objective to switch up map movement.

Both the Hoth and Endor (Imperial Outpost?) small maps can be a slog or feel like you're playing the same game over and over.

EDIT: To be clear this is for Blast specifically. The maps are fine with other objective modes with smaller player counts i.e. Heroes vs Villains.

Ferr986

They're good. They have different maps than the actual big modes. For example, Hoth is in some frozen caverns. I like the droid mode a lot actually.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Blast isn't great but Drop Zone and Droid Run are a great time. Fighter Squadron and the Hero vs Villains modes are considerably better than I expected.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Drop Zone is my jam. I fucking love it. It's the perfect balance of infantry combat, power-up shenanigans, and objectives that keep everybody on the move but also focused on key zones.

Wonderfully said, I agree completely.

Cheers man :)

Ferr986

One hour in and you cannot wipe the smile from my face.

Seriously, I mean, I defend my own on Fighter Squadron, but I still get decimated as a foot soldier. But I can't help but smile with all the shit I'm seiing while playing. Lasers left and right, X-Wing vs Ties in the skyes... It's like a fucking SW movie. And I'm not that big of a SW fan (I love the OT movies but I don't care much about the prequels and Clone Wars).

I know that will fade out with time, but dunno... I'm having a lot of fun learning how to play this game.

EatChildren

Just connected to a match. Felt like I was dropping too easy and everyone seemed to be a bullet sponge. Hit the console command: 170 ping.

I was worried about this before the game out when it was clear EA/DICE weren't going to be transparent about where you're connecting or what your performance is without using console commands. It is inexcusable for a modern multiplayer game to have utter bullshit matchmaking with no regional filtering. I'd rather it just tell me no free games are available in my region, ask if I'd like to search further or try a different mode.

This will stop me playing regularly, guaranteed. I'm not playing roll the latency dice.

Just connected to a match. Felt like I was dropping too easy and everyone seemed to be a bullet sponge. Hit the console command: 170 ping.

I was worried about this before the game out when it was clear EA/DICE weren't going to be transparent about where you're connecting or what your performance is without using console commands. It is inexcusable for a modern multiplayer game to have utter bullshit matchmaking with no regional filtering. I'd rather it just tell me no free games are available in my region, ask if I'd like to search further or try a different mode.

This will stop me playing regularly, guaranteed. I'm not playing roll the latency dice.
How does a bad ping manifest in the game? Rubber-banding?

EatChildren

How does a bad ping manifest in the game? Rubber-banding?

On my end it feels like I've got a good bead on my opponent and hitting them, but they're taking an excessive amount of shots to drop. And I feel myself surprised and quickly taken down too frequently. I don't see much rubber banding in character motion, it seems to be all on the projectiles or they're doing a good job of hiding it.

Nevertheless 170ms ping is unplayable.

Ferrio

Banned

Ya server browser shit should of been the #1 complaint above all this other stuff. Barely anyone seems to mention it in all these outrage threads, I feel like an old man.

KodaRuss

I really like Heroes vs. Villains. Good change of pace after playing a bunch of Supremacy and Walker Assault.

Definitely gives you a chance to get used to all of the heroes/villains abilities.

On my end it feels like I've got a good bead on my opponent and hitting them, but they're taking an excessive amount of shots to drop. And I feel myself surprised and quickly taken down too frequently. I don't see much rubber banding in character motion, it seems to be all on the projectiles or they're doing a good job of hiding it.

Nevertheless 170ms ping is unplayable.
Ah, that's horrible. What's even worse is that ping or even a more dumbed down "connection strength" isn't shown on console at all, so this could be happening without the player knowing it. I hate to be that guy but I swear there are some games where it feels like enemies take a lot more effort to kill and I am dying faster than usual. Good stuff...

Alienous

The smaller modes are some of my favorite actually. Blast, Cargo, HvV, and Drop Pods all get lots of playtime from me. Some of the small maps are amazing too.

Blast is mindless fun and that's okay but IMO the small maps leave a lot to be desired. A lot of the same encounters over and over again with no objective to switch up map movement.

Both the Hoth and Endor (Imperial Outpost?) small maps can be a slog or feel like you're playing the same game over and over.

EDIT: To be clear this is for Blast specifically. The maps are fine with other objective modes with smaller player counts i.e. Heroes vs Villains.

They're good. They have different maps than the actual big modes. For example, Hoth is in some frozen caverns. I like the droid mode a lot actually.

Blast isn't great but Drop Zone and Droid Run are a great time. Fighter Squadron and the Hero vs Villains modes are considerably better than I expected.

Drop Zone is my jam. I fucking love it. It's the perfect balance of infantry combat, power-up shenanigans, and objectives that keep everybody on the move but also focused on key zones.

Thanks, guys.

I guess I better give the 10 hour trial a try on EA Access.

EatChildren

Ah, that's horrible. What's even worse is that ping or even a more dumbed down "connection strength" isn't shown on console at all, so this could be happening without the player knowing it. I hate to be that guy but I swear there are some games where it feels like enemies take a lot more effort to kill and I am dying faster than usual. Good stuff...

Yeah, it worried me that the score menu wasn't going to show any connection data at all. As another user said earlier if you're on PC you can use the console command: networkperfoverlay.enable 1

That'll give you a moment-to-moment ping read and average.

You'll get a tiny notification on the top right of your screen if you are experiencing connection problems. This happens to me if my wife is zomming through her Tumblr (all of those fucking gifs) on my PC which is QoSed to Express rather than Standard (PS4 is at Premium), but I haven't had any rubberbanding or corner kills.

Using DD-WRT on my router for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom