• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are all very different games that would seem to scratch very different itches, haha.

Totally! I know, but I guess I was hoping for that one response where someone made a good point to at least knock one option out.

I loved Fallout 3, 4 looks to be more of the same, but at this point in my life I only get to play in small or medium chunks. Not the hours long sessions from the Fallout 3 days. So I fear that it is just too much game that I will never get around to.

Battlefront looks, sounds and plays amazing if the final is anything like the beta, but is multiplayer only and I love a good meaty campaign along with my multi. Not to mention it seem a little light on content and a 60 dollar season pass is abhorrent and I don't want to support that. But on the other hand the beta was so damn fun.

Tomb Raider seems the middle option but once the campaign is done it's done. No multi to go to nor more world and side quests to explore a la Fallout.

Thanks for the reply!

cjp

I cannot play Fighter Squadron for shit.

It feels like I chase and shoot somebody for ages to only immediately die as soon as someone turns up behind me. Is it the slower you go the more damage you deal?

The evasive manoeuvres don't seem to do shit.

Ferrio

Banned
I cannot play Fighter Squadron for shit.

It feels like I chase and shoot somebody for ages to only immediately die as soon as someone turns up behind me. Is it the slower you go the more damage you deal?

The evasive manoeuvres don't seem to do shit.

Yes the slower you go the more damage your lasers do. Evasive maneuvers can dodge missiles, and maybe give your opponent the slip. Manually dodging can work too. If you're up against someone who is really good it's going to be really hard to shake them. If you can't completely shake them, then your best bet is to stay alive long as possible and hope someone targets them much like they did you. Make sure to incorporate picking up health up pickups while you're evading.

I feel like Hero Hunt is an awesome idea but completely falls flat since only the one who kills the hero gets to be the hero next. It should be random or have it go in order.

mileS

Anyone have pics or map locations of the hero pick ups for Fighter Squadron? I have a few that I remember but I'd like to have a better chance at them.

Delio

Yes the slower you go the more damage your lasers do. Evasive maneuvers can dodge missiles, and maybe give your opponent the slip. Manually dodging can work too. If you're up against someone who is really good it's going to be really hard to shake them. If you can completely shake them, then your best bet is to stay alive long as possible and hope someone targets them much like they did you. Make sure to incorporate picking up health up pickups while you're evading.

Great advice. My approach is always: Fly in find a target then get my early shots on them. At that point they will turn away or start flying around me. So i slow down and track the hell out of them while popping off shots then getting the kill. I swear this is easier in the A-wing than anything else i've flown.

scotton1982

Neo Member
Seriously messed up stuff today, player can't be killed on the opposite team 48-0, stood in spawn just running up to people to kill them

cjp

Yes the slower you go the more damage your lasers do. Evasive maneuvers can dodge missiles, and maybe give your opponent the slip. Manually dodging can work too. If you're up against someone who is really good it's going to be really hard to shake them. If you can completely shake them, then your best bet is to stay alive long as possible and hope someone targets them much like they did you. Make sure to incorporate picking up health up pickups while you're evading.

Great advice. My approach is always: Fly in find a target then get my early shots on them. At that point they will turn away or start flying around me. So i slow down and track the hell out of them while popping off shots then getting the kill. I swear this is easier in the A-wing than anything else i've flown.

Thanks. I guess I just need to keep on practicing.

a916

or most damage.

This. I'd hate to do 90% of the damage and someone else takes it. (I'm pretty sure it is most damage because there's been times where I'll do a lot of damage, die, the hero will die while I'm spawning and I become the hero)

Klyka

Banned
The map design in this is some of the worst I have ever seen in my life.

That black ground map with the lava. A tunnel exit that people can come out of and opposite of it a ravine which people on the outside should be able to use to move up but instead there is LAVA in there that kills you.

And half of the side of where the imperials spawn on that map is just completely open and can be shot at from the other half of the map.

Who made this?

Ferrio

Banned
Ya Hero Hunt is a good mode that got fucked up by one simple but big flaw. It's a fairly common mode in mods, and usually it's straight up the most damage or random weighted by most damage etc. Right now there's just too much incentive to sit back and wait until everyone has done the heavy lifting.

That black ground map with the lava. A tunnel exit that people can come out of and opposite of it a ravine which people on the outside should be able to use to move up but instead there is LAVA in there that kills you.

And half of the side of where the imperials spawn on that map is just completely open and can be shot at from the other half of the map.

Who made this?

Lava doesn't hurt you if you keep jumping I've found.

ST3K3LLY

Banned
Just started to play this on pc after finishing tomb raider on xbox. Does the pc version not have auto aim or something with a pad? If not is it on the xbox version?

Dragoshi1

Went 48-0 in Walker Assault on Hoth! Did it as Boba Fett, so I was him the entire match, took down a Leia and 2 Lukes, and had about 12 HP left after we won.

I love him. Just sniping from far away, and jetpacking away when a Hero shows up.

Klyka

Banned
Just got spawn camped on the Hoth supremacy map. Are there multiple Hoth maps? no idea,only ever seen that one.
It was horrendous. There was nothing we could do,it would spawn us in the same spot and we got shot from towers from across the map, got grenades thrown on us every 2 seconds and were encircled.

If this didn't have the Star Wars license and great presentation, it should be ripped apart.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Walker Assault: 170ms ping match found
Supremacy: No full or playable game found
Drop Zone: No full or playable game found
Blast: No full or playable game found
Droid Run: No full or playable game found

This is at nearly lunchtime on a Saturday.

What causes you to appear on the radar? Shooting? Also, when playing as Vader or Luke, do you have to aim at other players to ricochet blocked shots?

Makoto

Come on DICE, there's got to be a way to turn off the chat log on PC. The trolls are going to have a field day with Force Awaken spoilers on release week.

James93

Just got spawn camped on the Hoth supremacy map. Are there multiple Hoth maps? no idea,only ever seen that one.
It was horrendous. There was nothing we could do,it would spawn us in the same spot and we got shot from towers from across the map, got grenades thrown on us every 2 seconds and were encircled.

If this didn't have the Star Wars license and great presentation, it should be ripped apart.

It got ripped apart with a Stars Wars license.

I haven't seen this many horrible design choices in a FPS in a while

mileS

I still can't settle on a sensitivity for PS4. I feel like the default is great for general long range aiming but if you have to react to anything mid range its just too slow. Anyone else feel the same?

Wil348

Who made this?

Honestly I think Sullust is my least favourite planet, but some of the map design for the other planets is really good IMO. The Walker Assault/Supremacy map on Endor is one of the best maps I have seen in a recent multiplayer shooter from a design standpoint. So much verticality and variation.

Klyka

Banned
Honestly I think Sullust is my least favourite planet, but the map design for the other planets are really good IMO. The Walker Assault/Supremacy map on Endor is one of the best maps I have seen in a multiplayer shooter from a design standpoint. So much verticality and variation.

The thing with Endor is that there are trees EVERYWHERE so design doesn't really matter much cause everyone has cover everywhere from all sides.

But Hoth? Or Sullust or whatever? JESUS.
And that I don't know Sand Planet map? Is it Tatooine? No idea, but it has that big Rebel ship in a hangar at the end. Everyone with jetpacks jumps on that ship which has a curve you can use as cover and then can shoot the rebel spawn from there.

It's insane.

Woorloog

Banned
I... I didn't expect to find Air Superiority or whatever it is called so much fun.
A-wing feels kind of weak in air combat in that mode though, unlike in Supremacy or Walker Assault where it is better (IMO).

And how the TIEs are different? I keep playing with the standard one as i like it, couldn't figure out what advantage or specialty the Interceptor has.

Also, the Millenium Falcon is ridiculous.

A shame the cockpit view is unplayable. If the camera didn't jerk around and the cockpit glass wasn't so dirty...

DOWN

Banned
To anyone who has Battlefront and also Tomb Taider and/or Fallout 4, help me out. I can only get one.

Which way should I go?

Fallout 4 is the most bang for the buck IMO. Tomb Raider is a gorgeous adventure if you don't care that the likely more technically consistent versions come out on different platforms next year. Battlefront is a Star Wars dream in a multiplayer polish if that's your fancy.

I'd pick Fallout 4 first and foremost honestly.

Codiox

Impulse bought it today,because i got it cheap,even while I didn't like the beta that much, but man that star wars feels. Loving it, the air mode really feels some kind like Rouge squadron. Played it right at the beginning and sticked by it for another 2 hours. Graphics are amazing on ps4, and the Framerate is glorious. Endor is fucking awesome too. If you're just a little bit of a star wars fan this game is a dream. Really authentic.

ryseing

Honestly I think Sullust is my least favourite planet, but some of the map design for the other planets is really good IMO. The Walker Assault/Supremacy map on Endor is one of the best maps I have seen in a recent multiplayer shooter from a design standpoint. So much verticality and variation.

I still haven't won WA as the Imperials on Endor.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The other thread is filled with cynicism lol.

It's not really cynicism. It's a lot of people thinking the Star Wars brand has a larger impact on the gaming sphere than it does. The word "disappointment" is going to get tossed around like a hot potato in next month's NPD, and admittedly, I still have no idea what EA was thinking with that 13 million estimate. But it's a decent enough start for the game.

Ferrio

Banned
It's not really cynicism. It's a lot of people thinking the Star Wars brand has a larger impact on the gaming sphere than it does. The word "disappointment" is going to get tossed around like a hot potato in next month's NPD, and admittedly, I still have no idea what EA was thinking with that 13 million estimate. But it's a decent enough start for the game.

I think people need to hold off analysis until the movie comes and goes. They'll show the ad before the movie, and it'll move a shitload of copies. By then Jakku will be out and that ties into the movie.

James93

Endor is terrible for WA. Its built in a way where its impossible for the Empire to win. The placement of the uplinks is one of the stupdiest things i have seen in map design.

I agree. The spawns in this game is utter garbage. Every game mode seems like everyone is camping hardcore and not playing the objectives.

I also don't like the grenade and barrage spam at every point. You can go easily positive without firing your main weapon with grenade, barrage, or homing missile spam.

The only saving grace in this game for me is Fighter Squadron but even then the Falcon is ridiculously OP. It becomes a game of who gets the Falcon first.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I think people need to hold off analysis until the movie comes and goes. They'll show the ad before the movie, and it'll move a shitload of copies. By then Jakku will be out and that ties into the movie.

It's going to be interesting, charting the brand synergy on that angle. I don't know about "shitload", though, but I look forward to December's NPD as much as November's. Battlefront is in a unique situation.

Its free dlc there will be 4 map packs spread out over the next year
Are you sure? When they did the same thing with Battlefield 4 China Rising it was part of the season pass as well, or have we gotten official confirmation that Jakku is separate from the 4 map packs in the season pass?

I believe that 13 million was for the end of the fiscal year, which is March if I'm not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom