• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, it worried me that the score menu wasn't going to show any connection data at all. As another user said earlier if you're on PC you can use the console command: networkperfoverlay.enable 1

That'll give you a moment-to-moment ping read and average.
On console all you get is a little icon showing 3/4 bars when your connection gets shitty. Really lame. I had set up a new modem/router last night so it wasn't until I noticed that I was able to fix my mistake.

My favorite small mode is Cargo. Only 4 maps since it only uses the more symmetrical designed small maps, but those are my perhaps my favorite maps. Hope to see more with that style.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My favorite small mode is Cargo. Only 4 maps since it only uses the more symmetrical designed small maps, but those are my perhaps my favorite maps. Hope to see more with that style.
I need to give Cargo more of a shot. Really didn't like my first couple matches but had some good ones earlier today.

GeeTeeCee

Wow, I got over 30 kills on my second ever game of Cargo, handily outscoring the rest of my team too (play the objective, people!)

I don't think I've done that well in a match in any mutiplayer game ever. I love you, Battlefront.

I'm generally ppaying consistently well on Fighter Squadron. It's easily my favourite mode of the ones I've played so far.

5taquitos

I fucking love that Endor map for Cargo in the rain, awesome firefights in the halls plus the open area in the center. Jetpacks are great for boosting up to the second floor.

heringer

Now that the initial rush is settling down a little bit, how do you guys feel about the game? A lot of people claim it was fun for the first hours but it quickly loses steam. Is the core gameplay good enough to warrant long term fun? Do weapons really all feel the same?

B-Dex

Yeah, it worried me that the score menu wasn't going to show any connection data at all. As another user said earlier if you're on PC you can use the console command: networkperfoverlay.enable 1

That'll give you a moment-to-moment ping read and average.

Before a match starts if you're connection is bad an icon and message appear saying so on PS4.

Majanew

Banned
I'm just going to quit the match if I'm put on the side of the Imperials on Walker Assault. Especially on Endor. Extremely too easy to take a walker down and if you die, it can take forever to get back to stop an uplink since you're forced on foot.

5taquitos

Now that the initial rush is settling down a little bit, how do you guys feel about the game? A lot of people claim it was fun for the first hours but it quickly loses steam. Is the core gameplay good enough to warrant long term fun? Do weapons really all feel the same?

I'll be here for a while yet, and no, I don't think the guns feel the same. Sure they all shoot bolts, but there's a huge difference between their uses.

RRR

You can choose to use your partner's cards from the "Hands" option at the spawn menu. If your partner is higher ranked then you can use stuff that you haven't unlocked yet. Sadly, my partner usually has a worse hand than I do and I'm only 2 hours in!

Bastables

I'll be here for a while yet, and no, I don't think the guns feel the same. Sure they all shoot bolts, but there's a huge difference between their uses.
Yeah not at all the Rebel rifle needs about three head shots to kill but is faster firing, the storm trooper e11 needs two head shots but fires slower. The T21 generally will net you kills with two body shots but is slower roof and has not scope. Have not even messed with the pistols.

DJ Gunner

I've played alot of Halo/COD/BF over the years and I cannot stop playing this game. I don't know what people are complaining about as far as a lack of "depth".I can play 2-3 matches of Walker Assault or Supremacy and then go play some Drop Zone and feel like I'm playing a totally different but still awesome Star Wars game. Once you get into the card system (I've just begun scratching the surface) there's A LOT of extremely impactful elements once you learn to use them. There's something here for every Star Wars fan, IMO, and for me this is the SW game I've been waiting on for decades.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

This.

My review went up the other day. It's mostly incoherent rambling as I was having a hard time getting across how I feel, but my TLDR thoughts on Battlefront thus far is that it's a really fun, solid multiplayer shooter that benefits from more arcadey gunplay and presentation over DICE's Battlefield. But it also feels like a game that rests too heavily on the laurels of the source material for identity and individuality over being a distinct, well rounded game design by its own merits. Where you could take Battlefield's iconic Conquest 64 (and class system) and transplant it to any setting and time period (real or fictional) and still go "Oh hey, this is definitely Battlefield", Battlefront has nothing like that. The closest it has is Walker Assault, which could have been its Conquest 64, but DICE have stretched themselves so thinly (likely due to time) over catering to numerous other game modes that it never feels proper deep in design. Part of this can be attributed to the skewered balance of vehicles, equipment, and power-ups, which are devoid of the tighter know-your-role play in Battlefield are more like Super Smash Bros. random item and power collection. The straddled on unlock system for cards also feels out of place in a game that is most fun in quick bursts across a bundle of modes, where card abilities like the jetpack that enhance the moment-to-moment probably should have been part of the starter gear. Same goes for the more interesting aesthetic unlocks, like aliens, being locked behind a level 40 number wall.

So yeah. Great fun game and I hope people keep playing so I can keep playing. But it's lacking a coherent vision and depth, and unique identity beyond "It's Star Wars and that's cool". It just so happens to be really fucking impressively Star Wars, and that's a good thing.

+ lack of control over regional match connection resulting in unplayable latency issues

I really like it. I think it's a solid game, if lacking a coherent vision and deep production. It ticks enough boxes for me to enjoy, as the core game systems are fun. I'm more likely to stop playing if I keep forcibly connecting to 170ms ping servers than because I get bored.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, how does one activate the console if they want to see ping?

~
then enter in: networkperfoverlay.enable 1
Graph will appear on the bottom right.

Just got the game today, is there any way to check the installation % on PS4? Seems like Ive been playing the Darth Vader hoth deal for a good 5-10minutes now and its boring.

5taquitos

Just got the game today, is there any way to check the installation % on PS4? Seems like Ive been playing the Darth Vader hoth deal for a good 5-10minutes now and its boring.

I think I've heard some people say that closing the game will cause it to finish installing, can't say for sure though.

vypek

Can someone tell me if something changed between beta and full game or am I being paranoid?

I feel like there is bullet (read: laser) spread when shooting and that the aiming has been tweaked from the beta.Something about my shots seem a little off. Was anything tweaked? There is a blaster rifle like RC something that I just can't use at all but I wanted to since its close to that DLT(?) gun.

Can someone tell me if something changed between beta and full game or am I being paranoid?

I feel like there is bullet (read: laser) spread when shooting and that the aiming has been tweaked from the beta.Something about my shots seem a little off. Was anything tweaked? There is a blaster rifle like RC something that I just can't use at all but I wanted to since its close to that DLT(?) gun.

Pretty sure there were tweaks but "laser spread" was in the beta, too.

James93

My opinion hasn't changed since launch. Its a very polished casual shooter, that is propped up heavily on its license. The core gameplay is pretty run of a mill shooter. If you looking for a game your still be playing 6-12 months from now this isn't going it be it.
There just isn't enough content, the major gamemodes have 4 maps.

Its a fun game and a technical masterpiece, but its clear based on some very questionable balance choices, along with content. That Dice didn't put as much effort into the game as there should for a 60 dollar release.

Game will always be fun, look absolutely stunning and play incredibly well but the content thing definitely comes into play.
Especially in a way where in another game i'd keep "1 more match" for many rounds even if just get that bit of progression.
Battlefront doesn't really have that hook for me, I get home from work play maybe 5-6 matches for fun stop for a few hours play another 3 maybe then im done for the day.

I'd say besides maps its kinda like a Socom just without the drive/emphasis on trying to become the best player/clan out there.

Delio

I'm still having fun with it but yeah the lack of content does jump out at me. Mostly on Fighter Squadron cause of the lack of ships. But for now everything is good.

skynidas

Banned
I still prefer the starting weapons over everything i have unlocked, I'm waiting to get to level 25 to get that pistol to see how it is.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I still prefer the starting weapons over everything i have unlocked, I'm waiting to get to level 25 to get that pistol to see how it is.
I like the DH-17 in close quarters but otherwise I still use the A280C and E11 the most. I do want to give the EE-3 and DL-44 a shot though.

Those are the starting weapons.

The A280C has to be unlocked with the Imperials (or the Rebels? I don't remember) and it is great. Better than the first possible unlocks. And I meant the EE-3, not E11. My bad.
I'm absolutely awful at aiming. I turned the sensitivity down to 10% (PC, 360 pad) and I'm still overshooting my targets.

What mode should I be playing? I've played some Blast, Hero Hunt, the other Hero one, and fighter squadron. None of them have really clicked yet.

I'm in love with Walker Assault, really fun mode.
This game is so much fucking fun.

I just sunk 2 hours into supremacy without even blinking.

I'm getting much better as well using the controller. 20% sensitivity seems to be the sweet spot for me. I've learnt that avoiding ADS is the key to success in close/middle distance combat scenarios.
What's ADS?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm enjoying the game but Walker Assault isn't as fun anymore, it's alright, but not as challenging as it once was. What was once a good fun mode that usually resulted in a winner near the end either way when people worked together, has now turned into the rebels winning within the first two relays quite a lot. We played a couple rounds of Endor earlier and the AT-AT had 25-40% left coming out of the first section usually, then falling at the second, I haven't seen the Empire win on Endor yet.

Dice totally caved to the moaners after the beta, the Empire doesn't feel like the overwhelming force it is supposed to in the mode anymore, the AT-ST has also somewhat become a good way to die easily, they rarely stay up very long as most carry round the ion missile at this point.

I also really don't see why there is no space map for Fighter Squadron, there is literally no point to there being ground half the time, most players don't even seem to notice all the power ups floating around down there, though that does mean it is somewhat easy to become the hero.

I'll also say it again, the customisation options are just plain shit, lazy shit no less.

ZZMitch

The A280C has to be unlocked with the Imperials (or the Rebels? I don't remember) and it is great. Better than the first possible unlocks.

I'm in love with Walker Assault, really fun mode.

Walker Assault is fun but I have been slowly playing more Supremacy. It just feels like I have more of an influence on the outcome of the match in that mode. Also it creates fun attack/defend scenarios with choke points and things that Walker Assault did not do as much in my experience.

Also ADS = Aim Down Sights

Not entirely sure what's going wrong today. Dunked kids like no tomorrow yesterday, but now I struggle to go positive.

The weapon that I loved yesterday (Rebel rifle) did absolute shit today. I get hit twice and I am out while others tank it like mad?

Same goes for the flying, other fighters tank hard while I get gibbed immediately. Jeesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom