• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

Heros HP need to be reduced.
Fetts jet pack recharge rate needs to be reduced and the rate it uses up the energy needs to be increased.
Grenades recharge rate needs to be greatly reduced.
Small weapon balance tweaks.
And a Conquest game mode. My god. Conquest would be amazing in this game. Supremacy isn't filling that void for me.

Haven't had to deal with hero ships yet.

I disagree on this, game is already a grenade spam.

Hero ships are ever way more overpowered compared to regular ships than heroes vs foot soldiers.

Vard

How does "partner spawn" work? Sometimes I'll have the option and can jump right into the action, other times it'll say not available, other times it won't even show up.

Someone tweeted this re: the beta version: "Please fix partner spawns having immunity and in-combat spawn"

To which Brännvall (multiplayer designer) answered: "agreed, no partner spawn if in combat"

heringer

Heros HP need to be reduced.
Fetts jet pack recharge rate needs to be reduced and the rate it uses up the energy needs to be increased.
Grenades recharge rate needs to be greatly reduced.
Small weapon balance tweaks.
And a Conquest game mode. My god. Conquest would be amazing in this game. Supremacy isn't filling that void for me.

Haven't had to deal with hero ships yet.

What? You crazy? The grenade spamming is already big as is.

Someone tweeted this re: the beta version: "Please fix partner spawns having immunity and in-combat spawn"

To which Brännvall (multiplayer designer) answered: "agreed, no partner spawn if in combat"
Thanks, that explains the "unavailable" option, but what makes the "Partner spawn" option show up in the first place, or not at all? To me it just seems random.

How does "partner spawn" work? Sometimes I'll have the option and can jump right into the action, other times it'll say not available, other times it won't even show up.

Partner Spawn is kinda glitchy atm. Right now the game disables it if the person you are attempting to spawn on is "in combat". What exactly that means I do not know. I've had a buddy of mine spawn on me as troops were firing on me but I wasn't firing back. Other times I've been firing and have again had him spawn on me since he was just spamming the triangle button even if the option said "not available".

It really is hit or miss. My advice is hit triangle a couple of times no matter what and if nothing happens in 2-3 seconds just spawn normally. I wish it would at least let you see your partner(while the option is unavailable) to make a judgement if it is even worth it to wait to have a chance to spawn on him.

Ric Flair

Banned
Same here. I would like more maps, but even as it is right now, I'm having enough fun to even get bothered by the lack of maps.

The thing about the maps is they're all so beautifully crafted that I don't mind playing the same map over and over again as it's absolute eye candy. Reminds me of the original Gears of War, the gameplay is so fun and it looks incredible too. The repetitive maps don't bother me in the least.

Vard

Thanks, that explains the "unavailable" option, but what makes the "Partner spawn" option show up in the first place, or not at all? To me it just seems random.
You have to have a Partner for it to show up as an option. In at least the Heroes & Villians mode (maybe more?), it seems Partner Spawn isn't an option even if you have a Partner though.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Some of you may recall that I said I wouldn't be able to afford this due to unforeseen circumstances. Well, I decided to Redbox it and put it on a GameFly queue too. I'm quite glad I did. The beta was alright but the full game is great. Shallow and small, sure, but epic and beautiful all the same.

The maps aren't just pretty -- they're well-desifned, too. And while there are a scant four worlds, the three separate maps per world do feel appropriately layered and unique.

Supremacy and Blast are my go-to fun zones right now. Heroes versus Villains is good too though. I love "one life to live" style concepts.

I'm finding myself at my best in certain Blast maps where I can hide myself and appear in unpredictable places. MGO-ing up in this. All the Endor areas, as well as the Hoth one with all the corridors, serve me well.

MADGAME

This game has the worst spawn points in a video game ever,

I'm inclined to agree with you. I love the game but this aspect is so bad. It's almost as if it were intentionally implemented this way.

Not sure I fully understand the additional hands you can create. If I make 4 layouts for Hand 1 for example, only 2 are selectable before the match and not even the first 2. It makes no sense or I'm missing something.

Edit: Nvm, it looks like you can make many layouts in hand one and two, but can only choose one from each to be selectable before a match. Wish this were improved to let us choose each star card and trait for each slot between matches. Two loadouts isn't sufficient to cover all maps/scenarios in a playlist/rotation

The thing about the maps is they're all so beautifully crafted that I don't mind playing the same map over and over again as it's absolute eye candy. Reminds me of the original Gears of War, the gameplay is so fun and it looks incredible too. The repetitive maps don't bother me in the least.

This is how I feel.

Besides, I've dumped hundreds of hours into TF2 and the only map I ever played was Dustbowl. If the gameplay is supreme than I have no problem going back for more servings of the same.

bombshell

Not sure I fully understand the additional hands you can create. If I make 4 layouts for Hand 1 for example, only 2 are selectable before the match and not even the first 2. It makes no sense or I'm missing something.

The presets you make are the same for both Hand 1 and Hand 2.

So in the hand customization menu you select a preset for Hand 1 and a preset for Hand 2 and those 2 presets are what will show up to choose between while in a match.

You have to have a Partner for it to show up as an option. In at least the Heroes & Villians mode (maybe more?), it seems Partner Spawn isn't an option even if you have a Partner though.
How does the game choose this partner for you? Maybe that's what I'm not understanding, why sometimes I have the partner-spawn button and sometimes not.

I've never played any Battlefield and the original Battlefront games came out when I didn't have time to get into them.

That said, I'm a massive OT SW fan and I'm having a pretty good time here. I'll put in some hours around Fallout 4 and trying to finish Witcher 3 and that seems to be the best way to consume the game not in massive play sessions.

I will note, playing this with a headset like the PS4 Golds, there isn't anything I've felt/heard like a thermal imploder going off nearby.

bombshell

How does the game choose this partner for you? Maybe that's what I'm not understanding, why sometimes I have the partner-spawn button and sometimes not.

The random partner pick doesn't always assign a partner, they need to improve this.

If you're playing with a friend you can opt-in to be partners and that always works.

Took down both AT-ATs in WA on Tatooine in the last phase after getting wrecked that round. Incredibly rewarding, but once again shows how unbalanced this mode really is.

MDave

Playing through this game I just can't shake the feeling that there aren't enough grenades flying around.

For some reason whenever depth is brought up here a certain contingent automatically assume that has to mean unlocks, gun attachments etc. for some reason when it could actually mean any number of things. Some of which I think would be welcome, some not so much as they just wouldn't fit within the scope of the type of accessibility DICE has gone for here. Ultimately it's all irrelevant though as this is the game we have.

Could you give me some examples of what could add more depth? Some people were expecting Battlefield with a Star Wars skin, but how could that be done in a way that makes it accessible (anything is accessible if explained right in a tutorial, so I consider this a moot point) and makes sense in the Star Wars universe?

This game man.

Last stage of jundland wastes, see my motion tracker go haywire, so I look down the Tatooine huts, 5 rebels, one with shields, come up the ramp towards me, kill me, and then I see they were being followed by a crazed maniac emperor who's laughing and spewing electricity everywhere.

Lmao.

So whats the fastest game mode to level up? I want to unlock the alien races.

Fighter Squadron 100%. You are basically raking in points nonstop while you are in the air shooting at everyone(AI and Human). Short time to get into the fray and quick matches so you get award bonus/game bonus/win bonus. If you manage to get a Hero ship you can make over 8k XP if you are decent. I average about 4-5k combat score(without Hero ship) and games typically last 3-4 minutes.

No other game mode comes close.

antonz

The rebels are pretty much invisible on every Endor map. This has to be a joke, right?

It is pretty crazy. I have noticed on Hoth they seem to mess with the color of Stormtroopers when they aren't up close they get a blue tint to them to make sure they stand out against the snow. Hell I see it on Boba Fett too as he zips around he gets a weird blue tint to him.

The one map stormtroopers should have amazing camo they make sure to neutralize it.

Fighter squadron needs do be fixed. It is my fav game mode right now tho.

The millennium falcon is too OP, put the shield on and run into the Slave... take no damage and kill in one shot.

I got 18k experience one match (consistently do over 10k with MF or Slave) I barely crack 3k on any other mode.

Con Con

So there is no spotting in this at all, is there? No auto spotting or anything?

The scan pulse star card is the closest I've seen to a spotting mechanic. Highlights enemies for a decent range and works for your team too. Useful on Endor!

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
While it might not be perfect, doing it as damage based would atleast be a big improvement, but I do think there's merit to a general hero cycle. The other team could actually try to work together more instead of being every man for themselves, and the hero itself would be on the offensive moreso than being on the run a lot. They could also play with HP values and make the heros bigger tanks if the changes make working as an actual team too good, like bunching up with turrets and stuff and having the hero come to you.

It does have moments that shine, but it's just too sloppy currently. Even rewarding most damage feels somewhat luck based to me, as there's a huge difference in the kind of drops you get. Someone who gets multiple smart rockets or an orbital vs. a player that keeps getting the blaster turret, stuff like that. The first person to become a hero also gets a pretty huge headstart due to randomly being picked at the match start, when you see them get the killing blow on the next person to become one it feels almost fruitless to continue as their score will be nearly impossible to match unless you string together the next few kills. So scoring as a whole can feel brutal as well, if it was a general scoreboard with good incentives for hero damage and kills as the hero it could also work out better over their flat reliance on kills as the hero and nothing else.

Currently the mode just feels like a slot machine. You are so very fragile to the hero(which is fine), that it's dangerous to approach and do solid damage without being killed and spawned who knows where relative to the other players still chasing. Having 3-4 people blasting darth vader, seeing his health deplete and then him turning around and force choking you and not the guy next to you as everyone else hopes they get the final shot is just frustrating more than anything else. You can be on the hero's ass pumping out damage, die when they're at ~30 or so then be flung across the map with a far away spawn with no way to do anything even with a jetpack. Then the hero spawn itself can be bad(I've been lit up as palpatine being plopped in endor right behind a group of people in the wide open, making the entire life me running away trying to get a decent spot since he has low range). Not to mention the mode ends up being a competition, not a team fight--yet in this competition I have no interaction with my competitors. I can't impair the top player from getting the killing blow in any way, nor can I help when I have people on the team that essentially suicide barge into a tunnel right into luke or vader and end up feeding them more kills. Bad teammates are unavoidable in any mode, but it's overly punishing here due to the scoring.

It's a mode with so much potential but I never want to touch it again in its current form.
While I certainly do agree with you, ( I have been completely frustrated more as once in this mode when I do all the damage and a random guy gets to become the Hero with one shot) I really don't know how it coud be better.

I was thinking also that everyone gets to be the Hero twice or so, but if you have some good heroes the game lasts endlessly. Also why would people bother to attack the Hero and risk dying if they get to be the Hero anyway.

I am pretty sure that DICE also had this discussion, but didn't had an answer to make it better than it is now.

JonCha

Going to buy this in December for sure to have some fun over Christmas and to tie in with seeing the movie. Should be good fun. I'm not looking for a super serious FPS but something I can just in and have fun with for a few games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They probably need to buff Vader. Got one kill with the guy on Sullust. Spawned in the open, got fucked so hard because he's too slow and they nerfed blocking for some weird reason. So you just get picked apart before you do anything meaningful, at least Luke is fast.

Just met someone who was invincible after bailing out of an a-wing?

I do think Vader/Luke are actually the weakest heroes funnily enough. Though Luke can do more than Vader I think. His actual saber toss is really good but that's about it. Force choke is a free kill but doesn't move you anywhere, and his lunge feels awkward. Luke can get out of a bad spot with more ease due to 2 lunge type moves ontop of his speed.

In HvV mode specifically Vader always feels like someone you need to actually protect, he gets dunked on HARD by Leia.

Fighter squadron needs do be fixed. It is my fav game mode right now tho.

The millennium falcon is too OP, put the shield on and run into the Slave... take no damage and kill in one shot.

I got 18k experience one match (consistently do over 10k with MF or Slave) I barely crack 3k on any other mode.

I got two Slave kills in one life with the shield ram. Saved the video because it's hilarious, but yeah it shouldn't be possible.

While I certainly do agree with you, ( I have been completely frustrated more as once in this mode when I do all the damage and a random guy gets to become the Hero with one shot) I really don't know how it coud be better.

I was thinking also that everyone gets to be the Hero twice or so, but if you have some good heroes the game lasts endlessly. Also why would people bother to attack the Hero and risk dying if they get to be the Hero anyway.

I am pretty sure that DICE also had this discussion, but didn't had an answer to make it better than it is now.

If they did a general cycle they could reintroduce the beta style life drain so you're on a timer either way(though it should be toned down from that was).

Weirdest thing with a cycle would be what happens with late joiners I think.

It is pretty crazy. I have noticed on Hoth they seem to mess with the color of Stormtroopers when they aren't up close they get a blue tint to them to make sure they stand out against the snow. Hell I see it on Boba Fett too as he zips around he gets a weird blue tint to him.

The one map stormtroopers should have amazing camo they make sure to neutralize it.
Rebels are camo'd on Hoth as well. Yet they get an orange highlight which sticks out more than Empire's blue does.
Should just drop the highlights together on Hoth at least.

Can you switch character camera from left to right in 3rd person view?

D pad down.

J_Viper

The maps (at least the big ones, the small ones are ok) are as well designed as that word is spelled.
Holy fuck Lmfao

They are certainly very pretty, but in terms of design, DICE has certainly done much better in the past.

Anyone know how much work the ex-Danger Close team did here? If they were in charge of maps, that would explain everything.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Rebels are camo'd on Hoth as well. Yet they get an orange highlight which sticks out more than Empire's blue does.
Should just drop the highlights together on Hoth at least.

D pad down.

No that's for first person to third person. He means switching shoulders

Ferr986

So I just got the invincibility glitch after getting killed piloting a ship. You don't really die but your character fall down from the ship and land with the glitch active.

Honestly felt a little bad when I sae like 4 dudes shooting at me doing 0 damage, and I didn't go bananas because I didn't want to look like a cheater (I sill did enough to be ranked first though lol).

Btw, the AT-AT can still kill glitched characters, atleast I got killed by one with the glitch active.

Jamie OD

This game man.

Last stage of jundland wastes, see my motion tracker go haywire, so I look down the Tatooine huts, 5 rebels, one with shields, come up the ramp towards me, kill me, and then I see they were being followed by a crazed maniac emperor who's laughing and spewing electricity everywhere.

Lmao.

He runs like a tipsy velociraptor. It's great!

Pastry

Banned
Boba Fett, AT-ST, turret and nades all spamming the Rebel spawn points in Sullyst :|

Has anyone else also noticed that you're getting shot from sight lines that don't make sense? I just got killed by a turret that should have had no way to see me and splash damage wouldn't have gotten me.

The maps (at least the big ones, the small ones are ok) are as well designed as that word is spelled.

EWrsxGM.gif

So whats the fastest game mode to level up? I want to unlock the alien races.

I think some of the smaller ones like Cargo give a 2000 match bonus, the bigger ones give 1500, but I think you can earn a large objective score in the bigger ones so I'm not sure there is a faster game mode. Go to stats and look at challenges and complete those as well, should help some.

LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom