• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveCake

What are the best weapons to use & also the best cards as a general rule?

I am using the normal grenade & Ion rocket cards & just the default weapons so far, saving my credits for better ones later on instead of wasting them.

Bastables

It is pretty crazy. I have noticed on Hoth they seem to mess with the color of Stormtroopers when they aren't up close they get a blue tint to them to make sure they stand out against the snow. Hell I see it on Boba Fett too as he zips around he gets a weird blue tint to him.

The one map stormtroopers should have amazing camo they make sure to neutralize it.

They get a green tint on endor and a yellow one on tattoine, lighting is pretty cool in this game.

It is pretty crazy. I have noticed on Hoth they seem to mess with the color of Stormtroopers when they aren't up close they get a blue tint to them to make sure they stand out against the snow. Hell I see it on Boba Fett too as he zips around he gets a weird blue tint to him.

The one map stormtroopers should have amazing camo they make sure to neutralize it.

You sure that isn't PBR lighting? Like Bastables said, on Endor, there is a slight green tint--makes sense, given the light bouncing off all the green.

moai

Fighter Squadron 100%. You are basically raking in points nonstop while you are in the air shooting at everyone(AI and Human). Short time to get into the fray and quick matches so you get award bonus/game bonus/win bonus. If you manage to get a Hero ship you can make over 8k XP if you are decent. I average about 4-5k combat score(without Hero ship) and games typically last 3-4 minutes.

No other game mode comes close.

Tried that. Everyone is an awing and they are impossible to shoot down. How this get through testing is beyond me.

Pastry

Banned
I still don't understand who thought it was a good idea to give one side an armored vehicle and the other side nothing. Get with the Star Wars canon team and make some shit up.

Bastables

You sure that isn't PBR lighting? Like Bastables said, on Endor, there is a slight green tint--makes sense, given the light bouncing off all the green.

Yeah, when you go into the bunkers the green tint is no longer evident so it's obviously all the light bouncing off the leaves.

Woorloog

Banned
Homing shot is so annoying.

It is both annoying and pointless. A single grenade can kill multiple people or force people to take cover, and can be used indirectly, etc. The Ion Torpedo is incredibly useful if there are vehicles or turrets in play. The Pulse Cannon is a sniper. Every frigging thing but the homing shot is actually useful.
The homing shot? It can kill one guy at most, and is mostly useful on Hoth since that map has larger open areas than other maps. The rocket is reasonably easy to avoid if you know where it is coming from. It cannot be even locked on vehicles!

It is a weapon for fools. Anyone with some semblance of skill and sense uses anything else than it.

EDIT That said, i think it should be nerfed still, since it obviously won't be removed. Increase lock-on time by up to two seconds.
Too bad i can't sell it, it was a waste of credits.

Hahaha, I love seeing people rage over the homing missile.

They are so easy to dodge. If there's any balance I think they need, is a slightly longer lock on time. As you can get a missile off just before you die to someone jumps that on you, netting you a kill regardless of whether you die or not.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
It is both annoying and pointless. A single grenade can kill multiple people or force people to take cover, and can be used indirectly, etc. The Ion Torpedo is incredibly useful if there are vehicles or turrets in play. The Pulse Cannon is a sniper. Every frigging thing but the homing shot is actually useful.
The homing shot? It can kill one guy at most, and is mostly useful on Hoth since that map has larger open areas than other maps. The rocket is reasonably easy to avoid if you know where it is coming from. It cannot be even locked on vehicles!

It is a weapon for fools. Anyone with some semblance of skill and sense uses anything else than it.

EDIT That said, i think it should be nerfed still, since it obviously won't be removed. Increase lock-on time by up to two seconds.
Too bad i can't sell it, it was a waste of credits.
I use the homing missile all the time on Hoth. It's a great a weapon and I already made a lot of kills with it. Since it's also easily avoidable I don't think it should be nerfed

Woorloog

Banned

They are so easy to dodge. If there's any balance I think they need, is a slightly longer lock on time. As you can get a missile off just before you die to someone jumps that on you, netting you a kill regardless of whether you die or not.

Yup.

The impact grenade needs some kind of nerf as well, it is really stupid it can be used as a suicide weapon effectively. Perhaps a throw delay or an arming distance.
(I shamelessly use Impact Grenades but i rarely use them in close combat, "mouse wheel up" is kind of awkward to use close combat.)

I use the homing missile all the time on Hoth. It's a great a weapon and I already made a lot of kills with it. Since it's also easily avoidable I don't think it should be nerfed

It should be nerfed for the reason Spiritreaver said.

And it is a bad weapon. One possible kill every... what, 15 seconds and no other use unlike every other piece of equipment? It is shit. Please use something else that benefits the team overall more.

RoyalFool

Banned
Oh boy, loving this game so far.

Anybody else feel physically cold on those ice levels? damn those textures and bump maps are impressive.

so if it´s so easy avoidable why do you make so many kills then? its not easy on an open map like hoth and even worse when you dont know where it comes from!

Oh boy, loving this game so far.

Anybody else feel physically cold on those ice levels? damn those textures and bump maps are impressive.

it was Snowing/raining outside when i played hoth. I felt the temperature drop in my room XD

They're not easy to dodge. Most of the time they're coming at you before you even know where they're coming from.

Plus it keeps locking on even after you break line of sight. I was on Endor yesterday, saw a guy locking a homing missle onto me and ran through some trees and past a rock to break the lock on. It kept on the whole time and it followed me though trees to kill me.

so if its so easy avoidable why do you make so many kills then? its not easy on an open map like hoth and even worse when you dont know where it comes from!
When the missile locks there's a red arrow showing you the direction of the missile so you can seek appropriate cover.

Apparently jumping constantly helps confuse the missile, as does using the jump pack. Haven't tested myself.

They're not easy to dodge. Most of the time they're coming at you before you even know where they're coming from.

Plus it keeps locking on even after you break line of sight. I was on Endor yesterday, saw a guy locking a homing missle onto me and ran through some trees and past a rock to break the lock on. It kept on the whole time and it followed me though trees to kill me.
Why would you run through trees and not just sit behind one tree facing the RED ARROW? Wait for it to impact, boom, you're alive.

Dr Prob

Banned
Could you give me some examples of what could add more depth? Some people were expecting Battlefield with a Star Wars skin, but how could that be done in a way that makes it accessible (anything is accessible if explained right in a tutorial, so I consider this a moot point) and makes sense in the Star Wars universe?

To be honest I'd rather not, which is why I left it "any number of things," but quickly: gunplay, squads, spawn points, classes, vehicle handling, flight, transport vehicles, game modes etc. are all things that could be discussed and are also somehow not "weapon skins," "grips, acogs etc." I'm sorry, but it's just something that's been bugging me while reading discussion of this game: when someone mentions that they may not find one aspect particularly deep, what they must really mean is they want thousands of unlocks and camos! No, stop it.

They could have gone for some of the Generals in uniform then. Still doesn't make sense as they never fought at the front line, but at least it would be somewhat true to the movies.

Officers and the Imperial Navy Troopers should have been customization options for sure:
endor-base-commander_zps2ede7a8c.jpg

...well, Officers at least, since I doubt many people would choose those Imperial Navy bucket heads lol

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
so if it´s so easy avoidable why do you make so many kills then? its not easy on an open map like hoth and even worse when you dont know where it comes from!

It's not because other people don't know yet how to avoid the homing missile that it's not avoidable. If you get locked, just jetpack away, hide after a rock or start jumping.

I've had this since release. However when I join match I always get kicked with message saying I lost connection to PSN. But I'm still online in psn. It takes me sometimes 10-20 attempts before I ever get in a gsme. Anybody else with this issue?

It's not because other people don't know yet how to avoid the homing missile that it's not avoidable. If you get locked, just jetpack away, hide after a rock or start jumping.
You don't even get the jetpack until hours into playing the game.

And hiding doesn't really do shit. Like I said I ran behind trees and rocks and the homing missle still locked on and followed me.

Kosma

Banned
Officers and the Imperial Navy Troopers should have been customization options for sure:
endor-base-commander_zps2ede7a8c.jpg

...well, Officers at least, since I doubt many people would choose those Imperial Navy bucket heads lol

Really would be nice if the dlc ads these things, dont like the helmetless options now :(

The Cowboy

Anyone else having a weird menu issue on PC using AMD (not sure if its on NVidia to), using the latest drivers etc, when into a game and go into settings - all the menus are blank.
I really dont see the problem.
Same here, i have no big issue with 1 side having Walkers etc, i only think they should have 2 rounds per game on Walker Assault - 1 round your Rebels and the next your the Empire.

I still don't understand who thought it was a good idea to give one side an armored vehicle and the other side nothing. Get with the Star Wars canon team and make some shit up.
latest

would be interesting and different enough for the Rebels, just say they are stolen like the Y-Wings are.

At the very least I wouldn't mind seeing Rebel stolen AT-STs with a different paint job.

Which do you guys prefer? Thermal grenades or impact grenades?

Impact, for sure. There are a few places where Thermal Detonators are better (corridors mainly), but I find people are generally too adept at running away from them most of the time. Plus I play a healthy amount of HvsV, and Impact Grenades provide more consistent damage output against heroes, since most have movement abilities to get away from normal Thermal detonators.

Woorloog

Banned
latest

would be interesting and different enough for the Rebels, just say they are stolen like the Y-Wings are.

At the very least I wouldn't mind seeing Rebel stolen AT-STs with a different paint job.

What about one of these?

latest

The Rebellion used them in the original Battlefronts.

Ew, no tanks. Neither fits Star Wars well, IMO. Always hated them.

GIve rebels an armed landspeeder like the Gian or Flash from EP1, but please, no tanks.

iBlue

So how the challenges work? i completed like 2 or 3 but then there is the option of skipping the ones showing if you pay. Once i pay does it count like if i did the challenge?

Klyka

Banned
So how the challenges work? i completed like 2 or 3 but then there is the option of skipping the ones showing if you pay. Once i pay does it count like if i did the challenge?

No,if you pay you get a new challenge.
Cause there are some challenges that can take crazy long so you can pay to get a new one.

jorma

is now taking requests
I use the homing missile and i do get a lot of kills with it. Not sure why, since i find them really easy to dodge.

Bastables

You don't even get the jetpack until hours into playing the game.

And hiding doesn't really do shit. Like I said I ran behind trees and rocks and the homing missle still locked on and followed me.
The missles are line of sight and can't recognise inanimate blocking objects to circle around them. You're doing it wrong.

If it's impossible to use cover you can get body guard level one, it makes so homing missles cannot one hit kill. Also smoke grenades.

I've gotten killed from homing shots in all of those situations. Unless I can move from being outside into a tunnel and down the hall a bit I'm going to die.

I could see the trees on the forest moon helping though, at least at range.

Woorloog

Banned
What traits people are using?

I use scout, the ability to sprint without radar signature is really important to me. Allows flanking attacks and confuses enemies in close combat.
And the second rank hiding gun signature is pretty nice as well but i rarely stay alive long enough to make use of it.

JDHarbs

Gave Hero Hunt another shot last night. Nope, still hate it. It's buggy as hell too. I've had times where I get the kill but still don't earn Hero time, and others where my personal favorite re-spawn as a Stormtrooper happens and I get to take out all of the other players while the Hero can't do any damage to me.

I feel like if time as the Hero was rotated among everyone instead of just whoever gets the last shot then it would make the game much more fair. The randomly chosen Heroes are odd too, players should really be able to pick which one they want to spawn as.

My K/D is going to tank trying to get a win in this for that "Win every mode" achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom