• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
The missles are line of sight and can't recognise inanimate blocking objects to circle around them. You're doing it wrong.

If it's impossible to use cover you can get body guard level one, it makes so homing missles cannot one hit kill. Also smoke grenades.
Your first paragraph is factually wrong. I don't know if it was the game fucking up and it needs to be patched, but I was clearly breaking line of site to a homing shot and it still locked on and killed me.

I saw the guy locking on, ran up a path through some trees and a rock before the homing beep finished, and the shot still followed me and went in between two trees to kill me.

The fact that there so many things in this game that can one hit kill you that a perk is needed to make it impossible for that to happen is a balancing issue in itself. Especially when a couple of those things take little to no talent to execute.

What traits people are using?

I use scout, the ability to sprint without radar signature is really important to me. Allows flanking attacks and confuses enemies in close combat.
And the second rank hiding gun signature is pretty nice as well but i rarely stay alive long enough to make use of it.

I didn't even think about using that. Par that up with the pistol shotgun and holy shit rack up those kills.

Woorloog

Banned
Just go behind a tree or a rock and the homing shot can't kill you (unless it has splash damage and it goes through terrain...).
Obviously this only works if you're fast enough and the missile is coming from right arc... Of course, if someone is shooting you in the back with a missile, they're fools. A gun would serve better there.

So how the challenges work? i completed like 2 or 3 but then there is the option of skipping the ones showing if you pay. Once i pay does it count like if i did the challenge?

They need to seriously reduce the price to reroll challenges because it isn't even worth it to reroll. Highest challenge reward I have seen is 500 credits, while the lowest is 150. So you are paying 500 to hopefully get a 500 back and some XP? Makes no sense.

Should be 100-200 credits to reroll.

PrankT

What traits people are using?

I use scout, the ability to sprint without radar signature is really important to me. Allows flanking attacks and confuses enemies in close combat.
And the second rank hiding gun signature is pretty nice as well but i rarely stay alive long enough to make use of it.
I've been using Scout, but will probably switch to Bodyguard soon since most people are using multiple grenade/missile cards.

Your first paragraph is factually wrong. I don't know if it was the game fucking up and it needs to be patched, but I was clearly breaking line of site to a homing shot and it still locked on and killed me.

I saw the guy locking on, ran up a path through some trees and a rock before the homing beep finished, and the shot still followed me and went in between two trees to kill me.

The fact that there so many things in this game that can one hit kill you that a perk is needed to make it impossible for that to happen is a balancing issue in itself. Especially when a couple of those things take little to no talent to execute.
I've never seen a homing shot do this, ever. Not even torpedos avoid LoS.

I die to a homing 1/20 times and its because I am too slow to put something between me and the directional indicator.

You CAN turn the homing gun slightly as its sight picture is WIDE, allowing you to arc a shot SLIGHTLY. I've never once seen a homing shot maneuver objects. Not once.

If so, its a hack and you should report it. Its definitely not a guaranteed kill by any means and silly easy to dodge.

Woorloog

Banned
I've been using Scout, but will probably switch to Bodyguard soon since most people are using multiple grenade/missile cards.

I considered Bodyguard but i figure that when it rains, it pours... Meaning it is kind of pointless. For one on one fights, Scout makes surprising the enemy easier.

FeD.nL

Well played for quite some time now and the game reminds me of one thing. The old licensed games during the PS2-era where the joy of playing the game comes purely from the use of the IP. DICE has done a wonderful job recreating the feel of Star Wars, but the reality is that the gameplay is a broken mess. From the spawns, the invincibility glitch to the horrible balance in game modes there is just so much broken stuff. But hey, at least it looks and sounds like Star Wars.

PrankT

I considered Bodyguard but i figure that when it rains, it pours... Meaning it is kind of pointless. For one on one fights, Scout makes surprising the enemy easier.
True enough. I'll give Scout with smoke grenades a shot to see if I can get the best of both worlds.

Lrrr

Officers and the Imperial Navy Troopers should have been customization options for sure:
endor-base-commander_zps2ede7a8c.jpg

...well, Officers at least, since I doubt many people would choose those Imperial Navy bucket heads lol

I would definitely play as the bucket head imperials, lol.

MDave

To be honest I'd rather not, which is why I left it "any number of things," but quickly: gunplay, squads, spawn points, classes, vehicle handling, flight, transport vehicles, game modes etc. are all things that could be discussed and are also somehow not "weapon skins," "grips, acogs etc." I'm sorry, but it's just something that's been bugging me while reading discussion of this game: when someone mentions that they may not find one aspect particularly deep, what they must really mean is they want thousands of unlocks and camos! No, stop it.

Right, thanks for the examples.

We don't want Dice to get the wrong impression when players and reviewers complain about the lack of content, thinking we need to add more weapons, more maps only.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
SO what are the guesses you guys think they will add as new vehicles, maps and Heroes in the DLC. What do you think is realistic, not what you want.

Durden77

SO what are the guesses you guys think they will add as new vehicles, maps and Heroes in the DLC. What do you think is realistic, not what you want.

I see them adding the heroes and villians from the new movie (Kylo Ren, which ever good guys are prominent enough). Chewy would be good and would probably balance out styles well. Obi Wan and Yoda maybe, but that might be too many Jedi.

I don't think they'll add any prequel characters. This game has too much goodwill, lol.

Homing shots are completely line of sight. It requires a full body (completely out of cover) target to lock on to. Hiding behind cover causes it to impact into whatever you're hiding behind. It will stay locked on until it has exploded. Just hide until it explodes. It doesn't weave through objects to get to someone.

Sec0nd

The game is starting to get a whole lot less fun when everyone got the higher end upgrades. Homing shot is quite annoying and everyone's just jetpacking around and getting on top of annoying places. And even though it's an early unlock Ionshot is really annoying too if you want to have fun with an AT-AS.

Homing shots are completely line of sight. It requires a full body (completely out of cover) target to lock on to. Hiding behind cover causes it to impact into whatever you're hiding behind. It will stay locked on until it has exploded. Just hide until it explodes. It doesn't weave through objects to get to someone.
You saying the same thing over and over doesn't change the fact that the exact opposite happened for me.

Maybe it's like that other guy said and someone was hacking, or it was a glitch, but I clearly broke line of sight by running up a path behind two trees and past a rock and the shot still locked on and went in between two trees after I broke line of sight and killed me. I remember it distinctly because I think the homing shot is a bullshit weapon in concept but at least up until that point it had only killed me when I was out in the open without anything to hide behind.

MattyG

Banned
Maps - Yavin IV
Death Star
Bespin

Heroes-
Lando
Chewbacca
Obi-Wan
Yoda (maybe?)

Villains (these ones are tough to think of if we're sticking to OT only. I can see a majority of them being super fan-service)-
IG-88
Grand Moff Tarkin
Greedo
Bossk

Vehicles-
B-Wing
Storm IV

DirtyLarry

Few questions. They are bolded for ease of reading.

If you use 500 Credits to skip on Objective, do you get the credits and XP for that skipped objective or do you just lose them?
I just do not see me getting the Shock Blaster objective anytime in the near future.

Also checked out Heroes mode for the first time today, was a lot of fun, but I definitely suck with certain Heroes. Luke in particular, I just do not get what makes him powerful? Any tips for playing Luke would be welcome.

TIA,
DL
Can anyone answer the first question above?
Any tips on playing Luke are appreciated but not really important.

You saying the same thing over and over doesn't change the fact that the exact opposite happened for me.

Maybe it's like that other guy said and someone was hacking, or it was a glitch, but I clearly broke line of sight by running up a path behind two trees and past a rock and the shot still locked on and went in between two trees after I broke line of sight and killed me. I remember it distinctly because I think the homing shot is a bullshit weapon in concept but at least up until that point it had only killed me when I was out in the open without anything to hide behind.
No, I get it. You're either wrong, dealing with a hacker, or a bug.

That isn't how the item works. I use it constantly and have avoided it plenty.

Take a video next time.

It will follow you in a straight line. It cannot maneuver geometry.

It CAN, however, arc its line towards you as you move, so one moment you can be LoS but moving will cause it to arc around an object as it tracks you. It will track you no matter where you are at. So as you were running it is still tracking you, as you came between the trees that's where you were exposed as the arc followed.

I literally live 19/20 times I get a lock because I pick LoS and stop moving to ensure it follows a straight path to hit geometry in front of me.

That's how the weapon works. I don't think it's OP in the slightest otherwise I'd use it but I think it's garbage, personally. I prefer my anti-vehicle hands.

No, I get it. You're either wrong, dealing with a hacker, or a bug.

That isn't how the item works. I use it constantly and have avoided it plenty.

Take a video next time.
Like I said, it very well could be a hacker or bug, because it's only happened once so far. I believe that it's not supposed to function that way, but at least one person is using it that way, so something needs to be changed.
It will follow you in a straight line. It cannot maneuver geometry.

It CAN, however, arc its line towards you as you move, so one moment you can be LoS but moving will cause it to arc around an object as it tracks you. It will track you no matter where you are at. So as you were running it is still tracking you, as you came between the trees that's where you were exposed as the arc followed.

I literally live 19/20 times I get a lock because I pick LoS and stop moving to ensure it follows a straight path to hit geometry in front of me.

That's how the weapon works. I don't think it's OP in the slightest otherwise I'd use it but I think it's garbage, personally. I prefer my anti-vehicle hands.
I'm saying I also broke line of sight while it was locking on by running past trees that were in between me and the person using the homing shot. I don't take issue with the homing shot finding its way between some trees after its locked on to me. I didn't like that breaking line of sight while the homing shot was supposedly still locking onto me didn't interrupt the lock on of the homing shot.

JDHarbs

Sticking with the 3 Heroes vs 3 Villains count:

TFA:
- Finn/Ren/Poe vs Ren/Phasma/?

OT additions:
- Chewbacca/Lando/? vs Tarkin/?/?

Prequels:
- Anakin/Padme/Obi-Wan vs Dooku/Greivous/Maul

TFA:

OT additions:

Prequels:

Eh. even if I prefer Padme to Leia , Padme is definitely unneeded.
Ahsoka needs to be in this though.

Fighting style could make a fun character, and fits in both era basically.

Bastables

err stay behind the trees not between them within line of fire.... the rocket will impact the tree if lock has been achieved. If he's in the process of locking you up stay behind the tree until the lock is broken....
Poping up out of cover while a bullet (or weapon is being aimed) is still in flight is ineffective at changing it's trajectory as well.

err stay behind the trees.... the rocket will impact the tree if lock has been achieved. If he's locking stay behind the tree until the lock is broken....
You shouldn't have to sit behind a tree until the lock is broken. It should break automatically as soon as you break line of sight by running past a tree and reset. If that's not the way it's supposed to work, and I'm fairly sure it is, then the gun is broken.

Maps - Yavin IV
Death Star
Bespin

Heroes-
Lando
Chewbacca
Obi-Wan
Yoda (maybe?)

Villains (these ones are tough to think of if we're sticking to OT only. I can see a majority of them being super fan-service)-
IG-88
Grand Moff Tarkin
Greedo
Bossk

Vehicles-
B-Wing
Storm IV

Wow I forgot about the Death Star. A full Death Star map with multiple levels needs to exist. The one on Battlefront 2 was huge and one of my favorites. I wonder what Dice could do with it...

But I'm really hoping to see some TFA maps too. We already have Jakku. Starkiller Base would be so good. Though it seems pretty similar to Hoth.

As far as heroes go, I'd say def Obi-Wan from OT. But I'm hoping for Kylo, Phasma, Rey, and Finn from TFA.

Honestly, sticking to OT only is a mistake. There was so many cool locations, militaries, and heroes from the PT. Coruscant, Kamino, mustafar, kashyyk, geonosis, cato nemoidia, ryloth.. The list goes on. And then there's the main characters.. I wouldn't mind Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda, Dooku, Jango, Grievous, Maul, and Sidious. If anything, there's better options in the PT.

hear4beer

I have been having problems finding an answer to this and figured i'd ask here. I'm playing on PC and would like to use my DS4 controller for flight controls. Would i need to run Xinput/DS4tool or is there an easier way?

I've played every mode now and I'm sure I'll never play some of them again. Hero Hunt is absolutely awful, as is Cargo to a lesser extent. Fighter Squadron I feel is pretty good the first few times but it gets old very quickly. The bigger modes aren't very fun for me since it seems like a lot of running to get to the actual fighting. Droid Run, Blast, and Drop Pod I'm loving though, I can play these modes for a long time.

There are some weird decisions they made with this game and it's far from perfect, but damn it's fun to play. I tried playing some Fallout 4 earlier and was just humming the Star Wars theme, couldn't wait to get back to playing Battlefront. I can't play for long stretches but the time I do spend with it is so so fun. I really hope people keep playing this for a while, it's something I'll throw in occasionally for a long time to come.

Are they adding new modes with the season pass?

Bastables

You shouldn't have to sit behind a tree until the lock is broken. It should break automatically as soon as you break line of sight by running past a tree and reset. If that's not the way it's supposed to work, and I'm fairly sure it is, then the gun is broken.

20th century Guided weapons don't work the way you seem to think they do. A momentary break in lock = trashing guidance/lock would mean the entire history of semiactive and active guided missiles is a lie as the momentary breaks in signals from radar would make the entire concept unworkable as there are breaks in the very nature of guiding/lockin through radar pulses.

That anti radiation missiles still home in on last guided point would be insane magic and not useful if "breaking line of sight for a moment" worked.

Jamming guided weapons works by flooding a channel with signal for the duration not for a second or two...
Chaffs and flares don't just wink in and out of existence in a second....

Stay behind cover if a projectile is coming for you, unlike blaster bolts the hud indicates the missiles approach vector.

JDHarbs

Eh. even if I prefer Padme to Leia , Padme is definitely unneeded.
Ahsoka needs to be in this though.

Fighting style could make a fun character, and fits in both era basically.
I agree that it would be great to see her in the game, but I just don't see any of the Clone Wars series characters making it in. Seeing a cartoon-like character in the ultra-realistic looking game like this would feel really odd.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional

TFA:

OT additions:

Prequels:

The problem is that the OT doesn't have much interesting villain characters.

Anybody knows what characters did Battlefront 2 have?

Stuff from TFA is most likely.

Finn, Rey as heroes, Kylo & Phasma as villians. Poe's special X-wing will likely be a new hero ship along with Phasma's chrome TIE Fighter.

JDHarbs

20th century Guided weapons don't work the way you seem to think they do. A momentary break in lock = trashing guidance/lock would mean the entire history of semiactive and active guided missiles is a lie as the momentary breaks in signals from radar would make the entire concept unworkable as there are breaks in the very nature of guiding/lockin through radar pulses.

That anti radiation missiles still home in on last guided point would be insane magic and not useful if "breaking line of sight for a moment" worked.

Jamming guided weapons works by flooding a channel with signal for the duration not for a second or two...
Chaffs and flares don't just wink in and out of existence in a second....

Stay behind cover if a projectile is coming for you, unlike blaster bolts the hud indicates the missiles approach vector.
I don't care about how weapons actually work in reality. Reality doesnt have to balance weapons so that people will keep playing war. Plus, it's Star Wars. There are lasers flying at me. I know not every thing in this game functions how it would if you had actual versions of it.

The vast majority of video game weapons probably don't work the way that their real life counterparts function. I'm saying it's broken from a game play perspective.

Bastables

I don't care about how weapons actually work in reality. Reality doesnt have to balance weapons so that people will keep playing war.

The vast majority of video game weapons probably don't work the way that their real life counterparts function. I'm saying it's broken from a game play perspective.

So your argument is how it should work in your head, not reality, nor how it works in game....
Good luck with that.

Toxi

Banned

For Heroes, there aren't many Imperial heroes left. They're stuck either with the bounty hunters from The Empire Strikes Back who had five seconds of screen time or with characters from Star Wars Rebels like Agent Kallus. Both could be fun: The bounty hunters are a varied crew, and Agent Kallus has a weapon that functions both as a long-range blaster and a close-range staff.

Can someone explain to me why people can so easily kill me across a whole map but it's nearly impossible for me to do so? I shoot sparingly so the aim doesn't fly off the handle but i don't get how these people are shooting so far and accurately with a standard E11 blaster.

So your argument is how it should work in your head, not reality, nor how it works in game....
Good luck with that.
Well yeah. Thats literally how every criticism of balancing a multiplayer video game works. I think something is unbalanced because of how it works in the game and I think it would be better if they changed it.

It doesn't matter what it's like in reality, because the game is obviously not trying to emulate reality. By that logic none of these modes should have respawn because you don't get a respawn when you die in real life, right?

I don't like the way it works in the game and think it would be better if they changed how the game functions. Something isn't immune from criticism because it already exists in the game.

Have you never heard people complain about a multiplayer game being unbalanced? Because it's not that uncommon of an occurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom