• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledhead

Did they balance walker assault out? Having a much easier time as the rebels.
Also, playing imps on Endor for walker assault is near impossible when you reach the second set of transmitters. The rebels seem to have an insane advantage. No one seems to be able to even get near the objectives to shut them off.

Nyx

Man Supremacy feels like one big meat grinder tonight, just being cannon fodder for guys shooting from ''miles'' away, heroes, laser turrets, air speeders, grenades, those fucking grenades...

Sullust is the worst.

skynidas

Banned
Man Supremacy feels like one big meat grinder tonight, just being cannon fodder for guys shooting from ''miles'' away, heroes, laser turrets, air speeders, grenades, those fucking grenades...

i feel like people are getting better overall. after black friday there probably will be a lot of newer people that won't be as good.

B-Dex

Sullust is the worst.

I literally call it running into the grinder. All the people running back to where they get mowed down. It's kind of hilarious to watch.

I call the bunker CP on the forest moon Bunker Hell. The grenade spam hallways and entry points. You ain't getting out alive.

Man Walker Assault is really unplayable for me on Xbone today... every imperial enemy only camping the vehicle pickups. Spawn killing to the max etc.

Supremacy on the other had was fun and enjoyable to play.

I hope they balance the game soon. Especially Walker Assault needs some care.

It would be interesting in Walker Assault mode if players were forced to wait for respawn (a reinforcement countdown of maybe 60 seconds). Maybe it would encourage people not to be so trigger happy and actually concentrate on the objectives.

Is it just me or does the jump pack make you feel like a skeet getting shot at? I usually try to stay hidden/behind cover as often as possible, and the jump pack makes me feel so exposed and like a huge target. I'd much rather take an extra grenade. What do you guys find so appealing there? I mean, besides how fun the big jumps are?

KOHIPEET

Today I've tried out Cargo (CTF) and it's hands down the most enjoyable mod yet. I've played with my brother as a partner and we leveled the battlefield. Only four maps is a bit of a letdown, but nevertheless it's still damn good fun.

I wonder if they're considering vehicle CTF too..

IMACOMPUTA

I'm curious as to ask why? I'm not a massive fan of the game or anything, I've only played under 2 hours of it with EA Access, and I can't decide if I want to pay full price for it, or just play Battlefront 2 on Steam instead..
Wait, I thought battlefront 2 servers were down.
!?!

KOHIPEET

Is there any info about what sort of mods are they planning to add? A slower, turn based TDM (basically CS) for example on Endor could be fantastic.

A hardcore mod with no minimap/indicator on Endor would also be damn good IMO. Endor is such a great location, it has great potential given they've created such dense fauna.

Woorloog

Banned
Is there any info about what sort of mods are they planning to add? A slower, turn based TDM (basically CS) for example on Endor could be fantastic.

A hardcore mod with no minimap/indicator on Endor would also be damn good IMO. Endor is such a great location, it has great potential given they've created such dense fauna.

I presume you mean Modes, as mods are a bit different thing.

That Endor idea wouldn't work... as the Imperials would be disadvantaged even more...

Is it just me or does the jump pack make you feel like a skeet getting shot at? I usually try to stay hidden/behind cover as often as possible, and the jump pack makes me feel so exposed and like a huge target. I'd much rather take an extra grenade. What do you guys find so appealing there? I mean, besides how fun the big jumps are?

Depends on the mode I guess. I find it to be most useful and fun to use in Dropzone. Jetpacking in behind the pod and securing it with enemies a few feet away is so good.

Klyka

Banned
I am glad this game has text chat so I can shout my team into fucking position to defend and take the capture points.

Otherwise people would not understand what the big DEFEND and CAPTURE icons on their screens mean

heringer

Escape button, reaching higher places and pursuing low health enemies.

Theorry

This game really needs some louder footstep noise.
To be fair i find the minimap very weird and very inaccurate. Its doesnt say if people are on the same level or they are above you. And they only show on the minimap when the move or shoot wich can be eliminated with a Card. Spotting isnt also there wich really helps in Battlefield.

I mean i get shot so many times in the back. If i get outplayed for sure thats cool. But people spawn behind you etc and there is just now way you ever can see or hear them coming. Better footstep noise would really help alot already.

Woorloog

Banned
This game really needs some louder footstep noise.
To be fair i find the minimap very weird and very inaccurate. Its doesnt say if people are on the same level or they are above you. And they only show on the minimap when the move or shoot wich can be eliminated with a Card. Spotting isnt also there wich really helps in Battlefield.

I mean i get shot so many times in the back. If i get outplayed for sure thats cool. But people spawn behind you etc and there is just now way you every can see or hear them coming. Better footstep noise would really help alot already.

People who are not on the same level with you appear as transparent dots.

The starfighter dogfight mode is my favorite part of the game. Doesn't hurt that I'm regularly in the Top 3 (if not #1).

Middle of the pack when it comes to the on-foot modes. Sometimes I do really well, but I think your weapon pick makes a much bigger difference in this game compared to other shooters (which I like, actually). Certain maps favor smaller rapid-fire blasters (Hoth -- with all its tunnels -- is a great map for blaster pistols), while other maps (like Moon of Endor) seem to punish you if you don't carry something mid/long range. I really, really like that aspect. Forces me to switch up my weapons instead of xXNoScopeM4GrenadeLauncherXx420BlazeitXx in every match like Call of Duty.

Anyone have any tips for evading a chasing player in Fighter Squadron?

I do alright in this mode, but I have a real hard time shaking tails.

Instant escape or flanking + access to hard to reach places

Realized while playing PvZ: Garden Warfare that the Jump Pack is just the Zombie Rocket Jump :p

MiguelItUp

Man, Rebels feel SO OP over the Empire in Fighter Squadron. So many games I'll be on a team that decimates as Rebels, then next round we're Empire and lose. But then next round we're Rebels and we decimate again. Clearly there's something a bit off. Personally I figured it's the whole shield thing.

I'm still trying to figure this out myself. I've heard playing Fighter Squadron with a controller gives you a pretty good advantage. At least according to the friend of mine that does it, he swears by it. Sometimes I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Woorloog

Banned

Slow down, tight turns, follow with the reverse direction special maneuver (F2, probably D-pad up on controllers).
If it doesn't work, you've got a good pilot following you.
Try something random... something you'd think, if you were the chaser, as idiotic or unexpected.

Also, try going directly down or up, and follow ground closely. I managed to out-fly someone near ground... meaning they crashed.

Theorry

People who are not on the same level with you appear as transparent dots.

Its really inaccurate them imo. Or maybe when they are 1 meter higher it already counts?
Overall i find the minimap really confusing and i play alot of shooters.That and the lack of footstep noise really feels like you are cheated alot.

Sullust is the worst.

The only good Supremacy map IMO is Endor. Which is funny, because it's the worst WA map wrt balance.

Sullest is OK in places, at least on the Imperial side of the map. But the Rebel side is awful to push as Imperials, both for WA and Supremacy.

Hoth is a joke, especially the middle point. If the rebels manage to take it first (likely), the Imperials have to attack through 2 narrow and easy to defend corridors, or literally spawn camp the Rebels on the outside to flank them from the rear. The final point on the Rebels side is also a bit of a joke. Needs a complete rethink of the capture locations.

Jundland Wastes is ok, except again for the middle point, which favors the rebels too much. Capture point should be on the top of that center hill (near the turret), not next to the Sandcrawler. The rest feels fine. Conversely, a good Boba Fett can really unbalance this map the other way, but having to rely on a single hero pickup for balance isn't really good balance. Also nerf Boba.

Codiox

The "shallowness" of the game really shines tonight for me. This is the game I can easily get a couple of rounds after work without thinking to much, just plain fun.
Tried the drop zone mode and loving it. Don't know why but in the beta I hated it.

Still loving this game. It feels a little bit old school like UT or quake for me.

Woorloog

Banned
Its really inaccurate them imo. Or maybe when they are 1 meter higher it already counts?
Overall i find the minimap really confusing and i play alot of shooters.That and the lack of footstep noise really feels like you are cheated alot.

I use the minimap mostly to decide where i will go, i rarely follow it closely otherwise. Partially because it is confusing, when you got red circle, red sectors and red outer ring sections, all of varying hues, and enemies around you, it is difficult to read.

Overall i like the UI, it is clean and simple but the minimap is kind of meh.

Theorry

I use the minimap mostly to decide where i will go, i rarely follow it closely otherwise. Partially because it is confusing, when you got red circle, red sectors and red outer ring sections, all of varying hues, and enemies around you, it is difficult to read.

Overall i like the UI, it is clean and simple but the minimap is kind of meh.

Jup i agree.

Ferr986

I still cant find a weapon that I can feel comfortable with :(

I like the E-11 and the rbele one (can't remember the name). Is more about how there's always someone shooting me from a position I can't see.

Man, Rebels feel SO OP over the Empire in Fighter Squadron. So many games I'll be on a team that decimates as Rebels, then next round we're Empire and lose. But then next round we're Rebels and we decimate again. Clearly there's something a bit off. Personally I figured it's the whole shield thing.

It's the A-Wing. Regular lock shoots don't work that well against them because they have tiny hitboxes. Also, they are faster than X-Wings. Honestly, sometimes when I play as an Imperial I just straight ignore A-Wing pilots because they're so damn annoying to chase and shoot.

Woorloog

Banned
Endor Walker Assoult is such a piece of shit on Imperial side.
Pure frustration, DICE need to change the Rebel uniforms.

In Endor WA, the Rebel uniform is the least of the issues.

I don't agree with changing it (for the reasons of authenticity), rather i'd have them add a red glow on rebels, just like Imperials have blue glow on Hoth at distance.

Man, I tried my hand at the 'deathless' star for the survival mission (Tatooine).
Hell, a survival mission took up 40 (!) minutes!
It went all fine and dandy until wave nine or so, it's impossible to not die with so much stuff being thrown at you.

Slow down, tight turns, follow with the reverse direction special maneuver (F2, probably D-pad up on controllers).
If it doesn't work, you've got a good pilot following you.
Try something random... something you'd think, if you were the chaser, as idiotic or unexpected.

Also, try going directly down or up, and follow ground closely. I managed to out-fly someone near ground... meaning they crashed.

Yeah thats pretty much what Ive been doing. Not sure if Im being killed by the same chasing player or someone else picked up the kill while Im damaged.

Going slow and evading works for shaking a tail but makes you an easy target for anybody who has a little bit of distance from you.

Also, how the hell do you become the hero ships? Ive never even seen the icon let alone had a chance to become one.

MiguelItUp

It's the A-Wing. Regular lock shoots don't work that well against them because they have tiny hitboxes. Also, they are faster than X-Wings. Honestly, sometimes when I play as an Imperial I just straight ignore A-Wing pilots because they're so damn annoying to chase and shoot.

That makes sense. Half the time I hardly ever see the A-Wings, and when I do it's generally in my peripheral as they're flying by. So much like you I've kind of just ignored them and focused on X-Wings as much as possible.

Ferrio

Banned
There's always a chance you'll get someone you'll never shake. At that point your purpose is just to try and distract them as long as possible, the more time they're chasing you the less time they're shooting other stuff down. Also if you're lucky a teammate might lock on them and take them down before they can take you down.

Also, how the hell do you become the hero ships? Ive never even seen the icon let alone had a chance to become one.

Icon just like the regular heros. It'a always near the ground, usually near some hazards like under a bridge or something. The Hero ships are so HP heavy that they usually last the whole match, so if you don't get the first spawn you're screwed.

Ferr986

That makes sense. Half the time I hardly ever see the A-Wings, and when I do it's generally in my peripheral as they're flying by. So much like you I've kind of just ignored them and focused on X-Wings as much as possible.

Yeah I guess a lot of people still picks the X-Wing because they're more iconic ships.
Hell, I usually pick the X-Wing too because I love it, even if I know the A-Wing is way better in everything.

5taquitos

Yeah I guess a lot of people still picks the X-Wing because they're more iconic ships.
Hell, I usually pick the X-Wing too because I love it, even if I know the A-Wing is way better in everything.

The sound the S-Foils make as they lock into Attack position is good enough to make me always pick the X-Wing

Shaking tails just comes down to accelerating one direction since the "lock" has an issue once you start making fast turns. Then hitting your "evasive manuever" flip once you think you got out of the persons view(2-3 seconds after starting the turn). Quickly change directions again and you'll evade the majority of people. Most people get disoriented if you make them go up and lose the horizon. The trick is to not even know where you want to go after the flip(as long as it is not into a wall). Make sure to go for the cooldown refreshes if you are close to the ground.

On top of that Fighter Squadron is just all sorts of messed up right now. Let me explain.

The fact that A-Wings are hard to kill(broken hitbox) means that if the Rebels have enough A-Wings it is practically impossible to eliminate players(unless you get into the Slave 1) fast enough. So what ends up happening is Rebels have a huge uptime in the battlefield constantly killing AI AND Human targets that there comes a point where an Empire is instantly targeted the moment he gets out of spawn. Since they are only one of a handful of targets out there.

As an Empire it is practically impossible to take out an A-Wing instantly unless you get lucky by surprising them with a ton of laser damage and then a missile up their butt before they can react. If an A-Wing reacts(to avoid the missile) though you are basically left hung out to dry to die to the other 3-4 A-Wings in the area.

Everything just comes down to how broken the A-Wings are right now. Once that is fixed the balance will be back in this mode.

Pure frustration, DICE need to change the Rebel uniforms.
LOl wut, thats what Rebels wear on Endor my friend.
latest

Ferrio

Banned
I've never lost a match of walker assult as the rebels. The AT-AT's go down way to easy if you have a competent team.

To think we probably owe this to a bunch of whiners who didn't even end up buying the game. Tried my hardest to argue that WA was pretty balanced in beta :(

Woorloog

Banned
Like i said, just add a soft red (or blue? or green?) glow on them at distance. Up close, the suit isn't actually a good camouflage, too large patches of solid color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom