• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
LOl wut, thats what Rebels wear on Endor my friend.
latest

Yep, and white armor is what the Imps wore.

papo

The game is fun at least, but it's missing so much cool stuff that it's a shame some of it will only be available as DLC. and I say some because even with DLC I am thinking the game will under deliver.

Walker Assault is my favorite mode and what I think is the most important mode for this game, but only having 4 maps sucks. And one of those maps looks like Hoth but with no ice. I wish there where about 6-8 big maps with like 16 tiny maps for the other modes.

I feel we are missing a lot of the scenarios from the movies and they should add some prequel stuff as well in any manner. Darth Maul, Obi Wan, shit maybe even Jar Jar as heroes.

Shaking tails just comes down to accelerating one direction since the "lock" has an issue once you start making fast turns. Then hitting your "evasive manuever" flip once you think you got out of the persons view(2-3 seconds after starting the turn). Quickly change directions again and you'll evade the majority of people. Most people get disoriented if you make them go up and lose the horizon. The trick is to not even know where you want to go after the flip(as long as it is not into a wall). Make sure to go for the cooldown refreshes if you are close to the ground.

On top of that Fighter Squadron is just all sorts of messed up right now. Let me explain.

The fact that A-Wings are hard to kill(broken hitbox) means that if the Rebels have enough A-Wings it is practically impossible to eliminate players(unless you get into the Slave 1) fast enough. So what ends up happening is Rebels have a huge uptime in the battlefield constantly killing AI AND Human targets that there comes a point where an Empire is instantly targeted the moment he gets out of spawn. Since they are only one of a handful of targets out there.

As an Empire it is practically impossible to take out an A-Wing instantly unless you get lucky by surprising them with a ton of laser damage and then a missile up their butt before they can react. If an A-Wing reacts(to avoid the missile) though you are basically left hung out to dry to die to the other 3-4 A-Wings in the area.

Everything just comes down to how broken the A-Wings are right now. Once that is fixed the balance will be back in this mode.
Perhaps I'm just getting lucky, but I don't have much problem as an Interceptor against A-Wings. Using my speed boost to get a drop on them, slow, then lay into them with blaster fire and finish off with a torpedo. Pretty much always does the trick.

Only used the regular TIE fighter once and immediately went back to the Interceptor due to the issues you mentioned above.

I also feel that Imperials should have more TIE AI units and/or faster respawns, as (traditionally) the Rebels were outnumbered by the Empire but had the superior A/B/X/Y-Wings available to them. Adjusting the respawns in general for dogfighting would be great, if only by 5s or so.

darscot

I've never lost a match of walker assult as the rebels. The AT-AT's go down way to easy if you have a competent team.

So true and even when your team is useless, your can still win. I was getting owned in a match but managed to jump in a speeder and tow cable both walkers on Hoth. They need to make that way harder.

LOl wut, thats what Rebels wear on Endor my friend.
latest

Yep, and white armor is what the Imps wore.

It's a stupid game design decision. One of the situations where canon shouldn't trump gameplay.

It's not like they're slavishly loyal to canon, either. Aside from helmetless troopers, there are made up weapons and gadgets (rapid grenade launcher lol), unlockable skins of unknown origin (Shadow Trooper is either a prequel thing or a non-canon Force Unleashed baddie), etc.

I mean, the Imperials aren't even wearing the correct white armor on Endor! EDIT: I'm wrong!

majik13

So its a known issue, that not rotating sides for each map is kinda a poor design choice yeah?

Ive level 12, and I have yet to play as Rebels on Endor on WA, or Imperials on Tattoine. And that is really the only mode I have spent most of my time. Since there are an equal amount of maps(4), you seem to always be on the same side as last time, when the maps comes up again. Why don't they have you play the map twice in a row, once on each side? Like pretty much every game has done before. Especially with the issue noted above.

I am guessing that once Jakku is out, making it an odd number of maps will rectify the issue for a little while. But still a really bad design choice.

It's a stupid game design decision. One of the situations where canon shouldn't trump gameplay.

It's not like they're slavishly loyal to canon, either. Aside from helmetless troopers, there are made up weapons and gadgets (rapid grenade launcher lol), unlockable skins of unknown origin (Shadow Trooper is either a prequel thing or a non-canon Force Unleashed baddie), etc.

I mean, the Imperials aren't even wearing the correct white armor on Endor!
It's laughably easy to spot Stormtroopers on Moon of Endor, whereas I've walked past crouching Rebels and was promptly shot in the back too many times to count.

As I mentioned above, it'd be nice if they either highlight the Rebels better, or adjust the respawn or point system on Moon of Endor to favor the Imperials (in general, I think adjusting the respawns and making each side more asymmetrical would be best). Rebels SHOULD be hiding, taking pot-shots, and taking advantage of the foliage. I have no problem with that. The issue is that the Imperials aren't given a different advantage to make up for it.

prag16

Banned
Anybody seen a breakdown of XP per level? Obviously it increases with each level meaning 15 is a lot less than halfway to 30 for example, but what's the formula? Want to get a feel for how far along I am.

Woorloog

Banned
I mean, the Imperials aren't even wearing the correct white armor on Endor!

They certainly are wearing the correct armor. The scout trooper armor is only worn by scout troopers.

EDIT I swear that whenever i play on Endor as a rebel, my teammates are blind and miss Stormtroopers next to them. Very baffling.

5taquitos

Saw my first Rodian in a game last night.

I cannot wait to unlock the aliens, but I wish they would have just made it random every time you spawn and have customization focus on the outfit. I could have sworn that's the direction they were originally planning on going.

Moff

so do you guys often buy new challenges if the current ones suck?
I have now the worst ones:
1. 25 melee kills, I hate melee kills in online shooters, sure some love to do it so I get, but 25? come on
2. kills with the t-47(snowspeeder): this thing doesnt kill shit, it doesnt do any damage to tie fighters, please correct me if I am wrong, but I feel this only kills infantry and AT-ATs. of course it's only available in 1 mode, walker assault, and only in stage three of that mode, but not on all maps and often stage three is not even reached when the rebels are too fast. damn. and even then you are very likely to be shot down instantly by ties, turrets or ion shot infantry.
3. kill T-47s, similiar to the above.

I really wish the challenges were not that spezific, I would feel a lot more motivated if they were more general. like play 3 walker assaults, or win 2 droids runs, something like that. I feel this would motivate me a lot more to play the game. but shit like the ones I got is just frustrating.

1. 25 melee kills, I hate melee kills in online shooters, sure some love to do it so I get, but 25? come on
2. kills with the t-47(snowspeeder): this thing doesnt kill shit, it doesnt do any damage to tie fighters, please correct me if I am wrong, but I feel this only kills infantry and AT-ATs. of course it's only available in 1 mode, walker assault, and only in stage three of that mode, but not on all maps and often stage three is not even reached when the rebels are too fast. damn. and even then you are very likely to be shot down instantly by ties, turrets or ion shot infantry.

I really wish the challenges were not that spezific, I would feel a lot more motivated if they were more general. like play 3 walker assaults, or win 2 droids runs, something like that. I feel this would motivate me a lot more to play the game. but shit like the ones I got is just frustrating.
I buy new Challenges all the time, as you can get 500 credits in 1-2 matches pretty easily. The harder challenges can take a very long time so you might as well cycle out for easier ones while you level up. Credits don't mean as much as experience, from what I've seen. Plus, it makes no sense to have a challenge that you can't actively work toward. For instance, I still don't have a "Precision Blaster" and therefore couldn't fulfill the "25 kills with a Precision Blaster" challenge.

So you want the challenges to be less... challenging?

The snowspeeder is in Supremacy as well.

WA on Endor is such a joke. One uplink gets the rebels 6 Y-Wings and the walker at 50%.

In a game last night, I was pleading with my team to not kill the walker on the first point we dominated so hard. They didn't listen :|

'Course I probably wasn't helping abusing the hell out of the DL-44 and Scan Pulse.
#partoftheproblem

Moff

So you want the challenges to be less... challenging?

yes, basically I want them to be daily quests similiar to what I have seen in some MOBAs. Heroes of the storm for instance has very general daily quests that encourage you to play different classes, but are not too spezific.
for me that was a huge motivation to try different things, play some rounds more than I originally intended and to be quite frank, I also enjoyed some random guidance by the game to tell me what to play. that might seem odd but it felt very motivating.
but stuff like the T-47 shit, that's very demotivating.

I mean, the Imperials aren't even wearing the correct white armor on Endor! EDIT: I'm wrong!

Thats why customization should be better in this game.
latest

let me get something like this for my Stormtrooper.
and i'd run a female version of this for my Rebel.
latest

Heck if they allowed full on crazy customization though i'd probably be running around with something like this.

yes, basically I want them to be daily quests similiar to what I have seen in some MOBAs. Heroes of the storm for instance has very general daily quests that encourage you to play different classes, but are not too spezific.
for me that was a huge motivation to try different things, play some rounds more than I originally intended and to be quite frank, I also enjoyed some random guidance by the game to tell me what to play. that might seem odd but it felt very motivating.
but stuff like the T-47 shit, that's very demotivating.

DICE has always been shitty when it comes to this. With Battlefield, they have "Assignments", some of which are ridiculously complex and difficult unless you enjoy playing every single class (and are good at it).

It's better here, though--with Battlefield, DLC weapon unlocks were gated behind assignments. At least here it's just XP/creds.

latest

latest

Heck if they allowed full on crazy customization though i'd probably be running around with something like this.

Yeah, there's really no excuse for it, IMO. It just feels half-assed, currently.

Hikami

There are challenges like that. I've gotten win 3 walker assaults, win another mode a certain number of times, capture 5 control points, and other pretty simple stuff. You just got unlucky with your draw. Re-roll them and hope for the best.

Moff

There are challenges like that. I've gotten win 3 walker assaults, win another mode a certain number of times, capture 5 control points, and other pretty simple stuff. You just got unlucky with your draw. Re-roll them and hope for the best.

yes I know, I got those first and thought that was a great idea, exactly what I wanted.
I guess I'm gonna have to buy new ones and hope they are more enjoyable and motivating.

Woorloog

Banned
Kill 10 AT-STs is borderline impossible challenge. It is an instant re-roll for me.
For one thing, it is only viable in some modes (unless you can do challenges in Missions?).
Then it is only possible half the time... you play as an Imperial, you're screwed.
And finally, AT-STs are pretty tough, and killing them means you get the killing blow. Good luck with that...

Kill Snowspeeders is easier because they can be shot down with fighters reasonably. But it still sucks.

It depends. The canon absolutely trumps the gameplay from end to end in this game.

This game, at its heart, is about recreating movie moments, not being a fair and balanced e-sport with all the customization we expect from games these days. All imho of course.

It might kill the game's legs, but doesn't kill its wonder.

The more you allow individual customization (for Stormtroopers especially) the less the game recreates Star Wars cinematic moments.

Klyka

Banned
I love how the rebel fighters have those shields that are basically a "Lol,can't kill me son" button.

Still,game is growing on me more and more.
The maps are still horrendous and always will be and they got stuff you get stuck on and random tiny invisible walls everywhere or those tiny slopes you can't run up for some reason but hey, who cares, I just start singing the Star Wars theme really loud whenever shit happens.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, this is bullshit, you can't tell me Walker Assault is not unbalanced in some maps because it has to be. Not to mention is im-fucking-possible to remain alive as an airspeeder because you can't barely fly up or down or actually try to defend yourself.

skynidas

Banned
Anybody seen a breakdown of XP per level? Obviously it increases with each level meaning 15 is a lot less than halfway to 30 for example, but what's the formula? Want to get a feel for how far along I am.

You need 53,000 to get from 32 to 33 for example.

Woorloog

Banned
Rebel looks that should be customization options:

Imperial looks that should be customization options:

I wouldn't like seeing camouflaged Stormtroopers though. It isn't right.

EDIT And flight suits, crew suits, TIE pilots, AT-AT pilots, all could be options. Kind of silly IMO but acceptable.

No.... Just no....
Im not asking for the crazy customization, im just saying thats similar what i'd look like if it was.
(Orange and Black Mando is basically what I wanted all the way back in SW:Galaxies.)
Also always felt orange armor would be a good fit for Rebels for some reason (guess carries over from their flightsuits.)

But the game absolutely needs more than it has.
More Rebel skins(Honor Guard, flightsuits, etc)
More Empire skins(Officer, Flightsuits, etc)
More species for Rebels.

Klyka

Banned
Okay, this is bullshit, you can't tell me Walker Assault is not unbalanced in some maps because it has to be. Not to mention is im-fucking-possible to remain alive as an airspeeder because you can't barely fly up or down or actually try to defend yourself.

If all the rebels understand to take Ion Torpedo and maybe have Ion Charge too right before the walkers become vulnerable and then just shoot walkers for that duration, there is barely anything the empire can do.
The whole game mode hinges on the rebels being incompetent as fuck.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If all the rebels understand to take Ion Torpedo and maybe have Ion Charge too right before the walkers become vulnerable and then just shoot walkers for that duration, there is barely anything the empire can do.
The whole game mode hinges on the rebels being incompetent as fuck.

Most players are incompetent.

Vaga

latest

latest

These look stupid imo and glad they're not in the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone else having difficulty getting the game to properly save a second Hand? It always either clears both or the second hand overwrites the first. Been having this issue for a few days now and it really makes it tough to switch between my standard and anti-vehicle loadouts.

Woorloog

Banned
By the way, Palps' body guards should be Red Guards, not Stormtroopers with red highlights.

And Leia's Honor Guard should be proper Rebel Honor Guard, not some blue-colored variant of normal troops.

By the way, Palps' body guards should be Red Guards, not Stormtroopers with red highlights.

And Leia's Honor Guard should be proper Rebel Honor Guard, not some blue-colored variant of normal troops.
Leia's are poorly done Fleet Troopers.
Endor character models with the Fleet Trooper scheme, kinda weird.

5taquitos

Yeah, it's weird they didn't pull straight from the movies when there are perfect distinct models they can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom