• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotrock

Banned
Them trees.
22867546577_9e267a5cce_o.png

22633243754_3de03588b2_o.png

22633245694_ebeefe66b7_o.png

what the FUCK

Squadron is so good that I really hope they flesh it out more. Tons of fun with it, but getting bored because of how shallow it is. Needs more ships and more differences between those ships. Also, why do 10 v 10 with AI, just do 20 v 20 no AI
Actually I think that adding the AI ships to Fighter Squadron is possibly the best game design decision they took in Battlefront. It means even people who are hopeless pilots have targets that they can shoot down and feel like a badass. I think it was a very clever addition.

I cant stop playing this game. Bought so many other games in the last month and they are all being neglected. Youd think I would get bored of this by now.

Actually I think that adding the AI ships to Fighter Squadron is possibly the best game design decision they took in Battlefront. It means even people who are hopeless pilots have targets that they can shoot down and feel like a badass. I think it was a very clever addition.
It also makes the mode the best way to gain a lot of experience (seems like Credits are pretty easy to obtain, but levelling up goes at a craaaaawl).

Toa TAK

Banned
HOLY SHIT YES

I finally won a game of Hero Hunt. God Bless you, Han Solo I'm your biggest fan now (also because you were the last hero I needed to play as, too, but THREE TIMES)?

I'm done. Never going back. Fuck the diorama.

B-Dex

HOLY SHIT YES

I finally won a game of Hero Hunt. God Bless you, Han Solo I'm your biggest fan now (also because you were the last hero I needed to play as, too, but THREE TIMES)?

I'm done. Never going back. Fuck the diorama.

You know you want 9 more wins.

I'm never going for the plat.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm continually amazed by how a game that is so amazingly polished in certain ways (namely visuals) can be so, so poorly balanced -- especially considering how few things are actually in the game TO balance.

Level 18 and I think I'm done. Feels like half a game. Customization is nearly non existent.

Machina

Banned
I'm continually amazed by how a game that is so amazingly polished in certain ways (namely visuals) can be so, so poorly balanced -- especially considering how few things are actually in the game TO balance.

Level 18 and I think I'm done. Feels like half a game. Customization is nearly non existent.

My theory is EA treat beta tests like PR stunts instead of the true technical test that they're supposed to be. People complain about Walker being impossible for rebels in the beta, so some EA chump who has been lurking on the forums tells DICE to swing it back the other way. Everything will be balanced eventually, I give it two patches.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My theory is EA treat beta tests like PR stunts instead of the true technical test that they're supposed to be. People complain about Walker being impossible for rebels in the beta, so some EA chump who has been lurking on the forums tells DICE to swing it back the other way. Everything will be balanced eventually, I give it two patches.

Lol, of it was only this simple and black & white.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Fucking dammit, lol...

I went 68 and 5 K/D without a hero or a vehicle, and I had seven uplink shutdowns. My team still lost. I slammed my mouse and was swiftly reminded I have (had) a glass trackpad :-/

22969764040_8d712ec4ef_b.jpg

Jobbs

Banned

In my 18 levels, I've mainly played only walker assault. I've checked out some other things, but walker assault is pretty much it.

I've literally never seen Imperials win on Endor. Ever.

Ever.

Often, Rebels destroy the ATAT on the first Y-Wing run. At this point, a lot of the time Imperials don't even bother trying to win on Endor because they know it's pointless. If they find themselves on the Imp side on Endor, they just kinda fuck around and wait for it to be over.

How does this happen? How does something make it to retail so imbalanced? I'm honestly curious how it happens. I'm not mad. Just amazed.

If you're talking about the DL-44, it's the last weapon you unlock. You can only have it from the start if you buy the Deluxe edition.

Oh hahaha, my brother picked up the deluxe edition. Had no idea when I was playing on his console.

Real talk though, game needs more cosmetic customization.

Ledhead

E-33 or whatever it's called is my new go-to rifle. Good damage, good range, and you can even handle close range pistoleers if you manage a headshot with the burst fire.

Bastables

In my 18 levels, I've mainly played only walker assault. I've checked out some other things, but walker assault is pretty much it.

I've literally never seen Imperials win on Endor. Ever.

Ever.

Often, Rebels destroy the ATAT on the first Y-Wing run. At this point, a lot of the time Imperials don't even bother trying to win on Endor because they know it's pointless. If they find themselves on the Imp side on Endor, they just kinda fuck around and wait for it to be over.

How does this happen? How does something make it to retail so imbalanced? I'm honestly curious how it happens. I'm not mad. Just amazed.

Apparently the Rebels found it so hard to win hoth in the beta that balance changes including weaking the at at occurred.

Tabby

Sorry if this has already been asked but can you actually play as the Y Wings in Walker Assault?
I've played over 50 WA and I've yet to play as the Y Wings even once.

Them trees.
22867546577_9e267a5cce_o.png

22633243754_3de03588b2_o.png

22633245694_ebeefe66b7_o.png

See. I can't stand the Battlefront 2 comparison shit I keep reading.

I guarantee you, one of these tree's took as long as one Battlefront 2 map and probably cost 5 times as much.

This whole Battlefront 2 had 95 maps and Battlefront EA only has 12 maps drives me crazy.

I guarantee you, one of these tree's took as long as one Battlefront 2 map and probably cost 5 times as much.

This whole Battlefront 2 had 95 maps and Battlefront EA only has 12 maps drives me crazy.

Uhhh ok.

I think a lot of people would gladly take a graphics downgrade if it meant more maps.

Uhhh ok.

I think a lot of people would gladly take a graphics downgrade if it meant more maps.

Uhh, no they wouldn't? This is Star Wars. People are all super particular and expecting perfection and why set out to do downgrade environments just for some more subpar looking maps?

And if even downgraded quality would still take a shitton of time compared to Battlefront 2.

Machina

Banned

Absolutely spot on, Bear. I'm happy someone shares my opinion pretty much word for word. It is fucking insane that people seriously look at these numbers and not use their heads, 95 maps in Battlefront 2, and all of about 6 of them were memorable and well constructed. What a waste of time just slapping together a poorly laid out piece of shit just to slap it on the disc and call it valuable content. THAT is assembly line game design, and I LOVED Battlefront 2 back in the day but even then it was getting shit on for its lackluster visuals.

Every map in DICE Battlefront is meticulously crafted, laid out and executed. Just because not all of the game modes that were built into them are balanced, doesn't mean the maps are bad. Quite the opposite actually. They feel very balanced themselves, and everything has a purpose and EVERY INCH of it has had the love of a million Star Wars nerds poured into it.

Yes EA's bullshit is intolerable as fuck and maybe the game could've greatly benefited from the addition of a few other maps from memorable locations (Kashyyk? Dagobah? Everyone would know these places) but to say that what IS here isn't worth 60 bucks (or 50 bucks, if you're like me and got fucked around by GMG for a 10 dollar discount) is to say the least, unfair or just disingenuous.

5taquitos

Used an AT-ST to take down 6 Y-Wings in a row on Sullust, pretty sure I saved one of our walkers that phase. Of course they both went down on the next one.

Rizzi

I think the forest moon of Endor is a pretty shitty environment. Way too cluttered and kind of cramped feeling.
The others are mostly decent.

Absolutely spot on, Bear. I'm happy someone shares my opinion pretty much word for word. It is fucking insane that people seriously look at these numbers and not use their heads, 95 maps in Battlefront 2, and all of about 6 of them were memorable and well constructed. What a waste of time just slapping together a poorly laid out piece of shit just to slap it on the disc and call it valuable content. THAT is assembly line game design, and I LOVED Battlefront 2 back in the day but even then it was getting shit on for its lackluster visuals.

Every map in DICE Battlefront is meticulously crafted, laid out and executed. Just because not all of the game modes that were built into them aren't balanced, doesn't mean the maps are bad. Quite the opposite actually. They feel very balanced themselves, and everything has a purpose and EVERY INCH of it has had the love of a million Star Wars nerds poured into it.

Yes EA's bullshit is intolerable as fuck and maybe the game could've greatly benefited from the addition of a few other maps from memorable locations (Kashyyk? Dagobah? Everyone would know these places) but to say that what IS here isn't worth 60 bucks (or 50 bucks, if you're like me and got fucked around by GMG for a 10 dollar discount) is to say the least, unfair or just disingenuous.

I want to stand on my chair and salute you. It's nice some people notice these things.

I can agree with people's sentiments of it feeling a tad empty and it could have used "something" else, but let's stop looking at the environments -- they are god tier. As a game environment artist, the company I work for have been pouring over these maps in awe studying every facet, they do a lot of insanely masterful things.

And I'm a firm believer that a good solid high quality base, that they can expand on is much more valuable than 100 mediocre crap that leads a bad precedent for content to come.

I'm definitely ok with people waiting a while for more maps to come into the game and getting it cheaper. But don't fool yourself in thinking their accomplishments were any less than exemplary.
I think the forest moon of Endor is a pretty shitty environment. Way too cluttered and kind of cramped feeling.
The others are mostly decent.

I fell off my chair

The game looks amazing. The only thing the game doesn't have going for it on a technical level are decent post-process AA solutions - I can't really find one I like, save for internal resolution upping.

Played Supremecy tonight and our team got backed down to our last control point but we kept on fighting. I think the other team started to celebrate a little early as we held our ground, picked off all angles and started pushing back. We got them back to the middle control point where it was a straight tug-a-war fight for 5 back and forth captures. Each time, a capture would add more game time to the clock. We eventually pushed them out of the middle and captured their second to last one, then lost it almost immediately so the fight went back to the middle where it was captured by them and recaptured by us which I think deflated the other team and we pushed toward for the victory. One of the funnest MP experiences ever.

As more people have unlocked stuff, this game has just degenerated into grenade and rocket spam. That and the awful spawns are making me not even want to play anymore

So I haven't picked up the game yet (probably will on Black Friday via BestBuy GCU) but I edited together a montage of some highlights of my buddy Sam playing set to "Star Wars - The Force Theme (Original Mix)" by DJ 17. Some fun stuff :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un6qLU4N16A

He is currently searching for another job, so has had a lot of free time to play the game and probably has a ton more footage for me to edit. We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom