• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man the homing shot is so cheap from cross map. Mostly because movement can be really annoying due to your character stopping on a low level rock that you have to jump over.

Had a pretty good Hero vs Villains round which ended my night of BF on a high note. Was Luke and rekt the other Villains pretty much solo. When I went into the first round, the Leia was already low and not using her hp ability but thankfully it worked out. Also got the hang of Han from the 2nd round. Nothing better than destroying that Vader by blocking his wild sword attacks and finishing him off with the heavy blow. Killing Palpatine with my blaster and then using an impact grenade to take out Boba was another highlight since they went hand in hand.

Its crazy how people don't pay attention in battle though lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
See. I can't stand the Battlefront 2 comparison shit I keep reading.

I guarantee you, one of these tree's took as long as one Battlefront 2 map and probably cost 5 times as much.

This whole Battlefront 2 had 95 maps and Battlefront EA only has 12 maps drives me crazy.

Absolutely spot on, Bear. I'm happy someone shares my opinion pretty much word for word. It is fucking insane that people seriously look at these numbers and not use their heads, 95 maps in Battlefront 2, and all of about 6 of them were memorable and well constructed. What a waste of time just slapping together a poorly laid out piece of shit just to slap it on the disc and call it valuable content. THAT is assembly line game design, and I LOVED Battlefront 2 back in the day but even then it was getting shit on for its lackluster visuals.

Every map in DICE Battlefront is meticulously crafted, laid out and executed. Just because not all of the game modes that were built into them are balanced, doesn't mean the maps are bad. Quite the opposite actually. They feel very balanced themselves, and everything has a purpose and EVERY INCH of it has had the love of a million Star Wars nerds poured into it.

Yes EA's bullshit is intolerable as fuck and maybe the game could've greatly benefited from the addition of a few other maps from memorable locations (Kashyyk? Dagobah? Everyone would know these places) but to say that what IS here isn't worth 60 bucks (or 50 bucks, if you're like me and got fucked around by GMG for a 10 dollar discount) is to say the least, unfair or just disingenuous.

I want to stand on my chair and salute you. It's nice some people notice these things.

I can agree with people's sentiments of it feeling a tad empty and it could have used "something" else, but let's stop looking at the environments -- they are god tier. As a game environment artist, the company I work for have been pouring over these maps in awe studying every facet, they do a lot of insanely masterful things.

And I'm a firm believer that a good solid high quality base, that they can expand on is much more valuable than 100 mediocre crap that leads a bad precedent for content to come.

I'm definitely ok with people waiting a while for more maps to come into the game and getting it cheaper. But don't fool yourself in thinking their accomplishments were any less than exemplary.

I fell off my chair

Sorry for the quote wall, but I fully agree. I was just playing on Blast tonight, and felt there was plenty of maps and variety, and that was one mode.

The quality of the maps. All the little things in them. I feel so sucked in unlike any game before it, let alone Star Wars. And in a week a couple more are coming with Jakku!

Quality over quantity any day of the week. Especially with the majority of the games that do have quantity, you only play a handful of the quality in them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Can't find a match below 170ms ping. It's not even 50/50. 90% of all matches on every mode are 170ms+.

This is gonna be shelved real soon. And that's a damn shame.

Fonds

Can't find a match below 170ms ping. It's not even 50/50. 90% of all matches on every mode are 170ms+.

I never had any ping problems with the game. So far my experience has been nothing but stellar. (ps4)

SeppOCE

I found myself really starting to dislike the lack of content and grenade spam so I found Hero Vs Villain is the best mode. Consistently playing as a hero or villain and teaming up with friends to win is really fun. Sadly 64 dollars isn't worth this to me so I refunded it today. It's definitely a great casual title and I do hope it improves but I'm just going to wait to see if Dice works out a few issues.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I wonder how rampant hacking is on PC, i've been 1 shot with guns that I didn't think could one shot like the T21, the A280, and the DLT-19.

Also there always seems to be that one guy who is a wizard at getting headshots with the DL-44.

Tonight has generally just been a really shit night, my best round was a 16-13 supremacy game. I've lost like 80% of the games I played tonight and they were not close games at all. On average it's been really bad like im talking 9-31 bad.

Considering how yesterday I was always really stead doing ~15 kills with about 10 deaths that made tonight a real fucking rage fest. The worst was this blast game on tatooine where the other team essentially had us trapped in the tunnels with what I would call no escape, we lost 23-100.

God when this game wants to be an enraging piece of shit it's really good at it, it also didn't help that I was only getting into 200ping matches so as soon as some one with lower ping opens fire on me there is no escape. It also means that I have to rely heavily on scan pulse if I wanna win any head to head encounters with some one that has decent aim.

5taquitos

My Blast kills trophy is still bugged, I had my best round yet tonight and was a little disappointed it didn't pop at the end. Has anyone figured a workaround?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
It's nice to see that 90% of imperial players use the default helmeted storm trooper. No idea why DICE allowed non-helmet variations in the first place. Hopefully they add some of these in future updates:

review_kotopilot_4.jpg

Review_EmperorsRoyalGuardTVC_stillC.jpg

403ap.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
The teams don't seem to ever be automatically rebalanced.

I joined a game of dropzone and lost 2 in a row despite topping the chart each time, and noticed the teams weren't changing. I looked closer and played two more (lost them both) and saw the teams just didn't change. The top three enemy players were all the same each time.

At that point my only option is to lose forever or leave the game. I left.

It's nice to see that 90% of imperial players use the default helmeted storm trooper.

I initially went for helmetless versions of imperial and rebel just in effort to try and have SOME kind of visual customization, but ultimately went back to standard helmets because it just looked odd (especially with stormtroopers) and wasn't very expressive anyway. The customization in the game is sorely sorely lacking.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My Blast kills trophy is still bugged, I had my best round yet tonight and was a little disappointed it didn't pop at the end. Has anyone figured a workaround?

Apparently winning with the most kills via the timer.

Good luck with that though, since you have no control over the pace of the entire team.

I joined a game of dropzone and lost 2 in a row despite topping the chart each time, and noticed the teams weren't changing. I looked closer and played two more (lost them both) and saw the teams just didn't change. The top three enemy players were all the same each time.

I initially went for helmetless versions of imperial and rebel just in effort to try and have SOME kind of visual customization, but ultimately went back to standard helmets because it just looked odd (especially with stormtroopers) and wasn't very expressive anyway. The customization in the game is sorely sorely lacking.

They don't, you can tell since the game flips the side each map(you'll be rebel, then empire, etc. in every mode). Things can still flip when people leave/join but there's never a normal game rebalance.

It's kinda weird to me when you look at the 4 big map count as it means if you stay in a lobby for a long time you will always be on the same side on the same map. So if you join as a Rebel on Endor for Walker Assault and never leave the lobby, you will never be empire for that map.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

For a game that has everything streamlined for casual play, the lack of a shuffle at the end of a match is very odd. If the game is a blowout, I leave immediately after and re queue.

So I bought this today but I can't even play it. Every time I try to join a match I get disconnected.

Everything else online on my PS4 seems to be working fine.

Impulsor

I wonder how rampant hacking is on PC, i've been 1 shot with guns that I didn't think could one shot like the T21, the A280, and the DLT-19.

Also there always seems to be that one guy who is a wizard at getting headshots with the DL-44.

Tonight has generally just been a really shit night, my best round was a 16-13 supremacy game. I've lost like 80% of the games I played tonight and they were not close games at all. On average it's been really bad like im talking 9-31 bad.

Considering how yesterday I was always really stead doing ~15 kills with about 10 deaths that made tonight a real fucking rage fest. The worst was this blast game on tatooine where the other team essentially had us trapped in the tunnels with what I would call no escape, we lost 23-100.

God when this game wants to be an enraging piece of shit it's really good at it, it also didn't help that I was only getting into 200ping matches so as soon as some one with lower ping opens fire on me there is no escape. It also means that I have to rely heavily on scan pulse if I wanna win any head to head encounters with some one that has decent aim.

I started out sucking on PC, way better now. Playing on PC I've noticed that sometimes at the top right amessage ppears saying: Fair PLAY BANNED [Player Name]

Or something like that, so they definitely have some anticheating system working, otherwise, on PC I have never felt frustrated because of cheats.

The weapons that one shotted you: the t21 is really powerful at close range. The other times that you have been one shotted have probably been headshots.

dumbo

Nah, Supremacy keeps the fights focused. Conquest just leads to everyone running around in circles between the points, and there's not enough different vehicles to transport troops.

There's also no strategic map - so conquest wouldn't work very well.

On the other hand, supremacy does have the problem that it can lead to various stalemates:
- on Hoth, as rebel the best move is defend the 3rd point. The 4th point is very hard to capture and it can also be very difficult to recapture the 3rd point if you get pushed back.
- on Endor, as rebel, once you've captured the indoor CP it is almost impossible to lose that point (or the game).

The other 2 maps are more dynamic, but also more lopsided. As a PC player Imperials "almost always" win both Tattooine and Sollust. (Sollust seems due to the weird uphill/downhill concept, Tattooine I don't really understand).

Lacix

Agree. I think stickers for helmets/body armour would be enough customisation for me. Helmetless stormtroopers are a joke. (e.g. texts like Hasta la vista, baby )

Picked up my Vader console yesterday to replace my launch model. Spent most of last night having a go at the single player missions. They were actually quite good fun. It's even better looking than the beta. DICE are wizards.

I jumped into the multiplayer briefly and played four matches of Drop Zone. Lost four matches of Drop Zone but came top every time lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As someone who adores Conquest and plays it exclusively in Battlefield, I don't feel it would work too well in Battlefront given the latter has fairly abhorrent balancing and distribution of items and powers. You could probably make a smaller scale version, but the heavy emphasis on infantry and shorter range encounters works better with a push/defend game mode like Supremacy as you always feel like you're at the forefront.

Supremacy is my favourite mode in Battlefront, but like the rest of the game it suffers from inconsistent game balance and very mixed map design.

Which really summarises my entire experience with Battlefront: great fun game, yet somehow the weirdest, most all-over-the-place multiplayer shooter I've played in a long time.

And to beat a dead horse, I'd be more interested in playing regularly if there were enough servers in Australia to accommodate players. Or the matchmaking wasn't so garbage.

Klyka

Banned
Supremacy is very fun if you have a mate or two with you and you make an effort to defend the control points because no one ever defends points, so you always have these commando dudes who will run around the edge of the map and try and backcap your one point which your team never notices.

So if you and your friends defend,you usually get to win the round.

It's also great to have a friend or yourself be a hero and use his power to push into a CP to capture it. I like Luke, Leia and the Emperor for that, cause Luke and Emperor can do AoE attacks while Leia can use her shield and such to let you hunker down on the point and take it.

Phinor

The joys of matchmaking. In Black Ops 3, if you happen to live in Northern/Eastern Europe, you have to firewall block a whole cluster of servers (located in Russia) to avoid completely unplayable stuttering. As far as I know, Treyarch has not said anything about this but the fact is, if you block those servers, it's no longer 50/50 whether the game is unplayable or just.. playable.

Oh man, no feeling like taking down both AT-AT's with an Airspeeder seconds before your losing team bites the dust <3 Say what you want about content and simplified mechanics/features; with what DICE has in the game, it is polished and satisfying.

Nyx

Supremacy is very fun if you have a mate or two with you and you make an effort to defend the control points because no one ever defends points, so you always have these commando dudes who will run around the edge of the map and try and backcap your one point which your team never notices.

So if you and your friends defend,you usually get to win the round.

Last night I was with a friend but we couldn't do shit in Supremacy, every game just turned into our side being forced into a chokepoint and the opponents being able to shoot everybody before we could even get near the Capture point.

Me and my 3 friends loved Conquest in BF4 but we just can't seem to get into Supremacy, let alone Walker Assault..

jfoul

As more people have unlocked stuff, this game has just degenerated into grenade and rocket spam. That and the awful spawns are making me not even want to play anymore

Yeah, pretty much. Initially it was great fun, but in the end it's a shallow experience. A friend of mine who bought a copy so we can play together feels the same way. I shouldn't lose much if I sell it now, before the hype dies down.

Klyka

Banned
My most annoying gadgets are the Homing Shot, Pulse Cannon and Contact Grenade.

I dont get why there was a need for this.

The homing shot I don't see used much and once you got cover inbetween you and the rocket, it's useless.

The Pulse cannon I also barely see and it's just a charged sniper rifle, not really a lot of uses for it.

The Impact Detonator however is stupid cause it's a one button press "i win" or "I take you with me" in close combat. You come around the corner and a guy just presses that button and you are dead. you MAYBE survive with body gaurd lvl 3 but geez that's a lotta credits and you have to have it equipped in the first place!

It seems the low tick-rate that was evident in BF3/4 is rearing its ugly head in Battlefront too. I'm dying a lot in the same way; 1-2 meters into cover/behind a wall/ducking back into a doorway/etc.

I thought they sorted this out in BF4 quite recently?

It seems the low tick-rate that was evident in BF3/4 is rearing its ugly head in Battlefront too. I'm dying a lot in the same way; 1-2 meters into cover/behind a wall/ducking back into a doorway/etc.

I thought they sorted this out in BF4 quite recently?

A lot of the BF4 improvements and changes are nowhere to be found in Battlefront. Which i dont get.

shmoglish

I wasn`t a fan of the game after the beta. Yesterday I played 90 minutes of blast and supremacy and I am in love (having a positive K/D all the time did help a little). The game looks and sounds very good, DICE did a great fanservice imo. And it is fun. had 2 or 3 5/6 kills with a single grenade.

Don`t know if I ever change my mainweapon.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Ffs. I get 1 hr per night to play and PSN is down for me. :-/

*edit*
Rebooted and now fine. Weird, told me PSN was undergoing maintenance.

Theorry

My most annoying gadgets are the Homing Shot, Pulse Cannon and Contact Grenade.

I dont get why there was a need for this.

If there is not people complain about content. Its just really weird nowadays.
Same with BF4. With every DLC some weird gadget came because if they only did maps. People would say its not worth my money so devs you put more and more in wich then creates unbalanced gameplay. I mean Titanfall was super balanced all gadgets had purpose and were not annoying but then the came dropped fast because "lack of content"
It really sucks and i dont know how its gonna change very soon. And i am abit scared for BF5 also. Because its needs something new again etc.

Still absolutely loving this game even after 30-odd hours and there are not many MP games around where I can say that I'm loving nearly every single mode.

Ferr986

The homing shot I don't see used much and once you got cover inbetween you and the rocket, it's useless.

I dunno. I swear yesterday everyone was friggin using it in my games.
I mean, sure, it's relatively easy to avoid, but it's so fucking annoying being constantly locked.

Should be a one use powerup collectible in the field at most. Being rechargable is stupid.

Having had game since launch I only got around to playing yesterday (iron banner in destiny kept me busy). For the first few matches homing shot annoyed the hell out of me. Then I learnt to run and turn lots of corners and hide behind scenery.

I've found I've had to massively change my fps play style for this game. Normally I can just run and gun and outshoot most opponents. I've found i am getting shot in the back a lot and there is so much cover that you never really know where the next shot is coming from.

What is the radar like for an SA tool. It seems really inconsistent for me. As I've had people be right in front of me and not appear on it, whilst those far away are. Is there anywhere that explains how it works? Does crouching remove you from it? Is your position only highlighted whilst firing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom