• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
BF4 had an OK spinoff in Hardline but nothing to take over its userbase. Star Wars is going to get milked for all it's worth a with games and I'm sure this won't see any support after the first year when they've announced a sequel.

Sequel won't be announced next year though. March 2017 is the best guess for that announcement. They'll have other Star Wars titles to show off soon and won't need to annouce Sw:Bf2 as early as they did with sw:bf.

Dice has supported all of their games for long stretches, directly or not. I don't see why that would change now. Bf4 is still getting patches and free dlc.

MDave

The end game scoreboard is affecting the way people are playing this game online. Showing kills and deaths as the first 2 things to let people know how well they did, when its the scoring and how they focused on the objectives that should matter the most. Killing shouldn't score as much as even helping assist with completing an objective. It's more like team deathmatch Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament because of that.

Seriously though, hook up a gamepad for that mode if the M/KB controls suck, its legit the best mode in the damn game. Playing on PS4 and the controls are awesome.

It's a fun mode but I wouldn't call it the best mode at all. Of course to each their own.

giphy.gif

Seriously though, hook up a gamepad for that mode if the M/KB controls suck, its legit the best mode in the damn game. Playing on PS4 and the controls are awesome.
I can't play that without Warhawk's pro-flight controls. I need dual stick control.

You know, this game is pretty much this gen's Warhawk. If only there were no weapon and equipment unlocks at all, just cosmetic stuff. At least it ends at level 32 instead of 50 for equipment.

This has probably been answered a million times but what is the best way to rank up in this game?
Just play. I play Supremacy pretty much all the time and I'm rank 25 at 13 hours played. I could be a lot higher if I really tried hard, but it just takes time. I average 7000 points a match.

You know, this game is pretty much this gen's Warhawk. If only there were no weapon and equipment unlocks at all, just cosmetic stuff. At least it ends at level 32 instead of 50 for equipment.
I just can't get behind that when it doesn't have the balance Warhawk does. Imagine everyone spawning with rockets when you're in a hawk or tank in/over a base.... No.

jorma

is now taking requests
So uh.. how long range is the "10 headshots at long range"-challenge anyway? Been trying to snipe with the t21b at as long range as my scope will allow, but the challenge is still sitting at a glaring 0. I've been dragging that challenge along since lvl 5 or something because i figured i'd get it sooner or later... and now its later.. much much later.

Also, the assigned random partner feature sucks. They will quit the game more often than not, and then i'll never get a new one, not even always when a new match starts. What's up with that? Is there a way to request one? I mean it's the only way to control that you don't spawn 2 meters in front of fucking luke fuckwalker. I hate that hero. Mostly because i can't figure out how to do well with him, but i'll get killed 2-3 times in a row whenever someone else is playing him :)
But yeah, not having a spawn-partner sucks.

I've noticed that for the most part it is usually the same people who end up in the first 3 spots at the end of the match, usually also having a score of 28 kills and 4 deaths or something along those lines, while the rest of the people will have significantly less kills and more deaths too.
Is there a trick these people have found out? Are these people really that better than the rest or are they cheesing the game somehow? Like they know where the hero token is going to appear or an eagle nest they get to or something like that? I've seen dominant players in other multilayer FPS but is never like this, same players all the time doubling the kills of the rest and with very few deaths, what am I missing here?

How do you use the Bowcaster efficiently?
It's useless at long ranges but at medium and close range granades seem to be much easier to use.

Pastry

Banned
So uh.. how long range is the "10 headshots at long range"-challenge anyway? Been trying to snipe with the t21b at as long range as my scope will allow, but the challenge is still sitting at a glaring 0. I've been dragging that challenge along since lvl 5 or something because i figured i'd get it sooner or later... and now its later.. much much later.

Also, the assigned random partner feature sucks. They will quit the game more often than not, and then i'll never get a new one, not even always when a new match starts. What's up with that? Is there a way to request one? I mean it's the only way to control that you don't spawn 2 meters in front of fucking luke fuckwalker. I hate that hero. Mostly because i can't figure out how to do well with him, but i'll get killed 2-3 times in a row whenever someone else is playing him :)
But yeah, not having a spawn-partner sucks.

You might need to use the cycler or other sniper card.

Klyka

Banned
I've noticed that for the most part it is usually the same people who end up in the first 3 spots at the end of the match, usually also having a score of 28 kills and 4 deaths or something along those lines, while the rest of the people will have significantly less kills and more deaths too.
Is there a trick these people have found out? Are these people really that better than the rest or are they cheesing the game somehow? Like they know where the hero token is going to appear or an eagle nest they get to or something like that? I've seen dominant players in other multilayer FPS but is never like this, same players all the time doubling the kills of the rest and with very few deaths, what am I missing here?

Many of them know where the vehicles/heroes spawn and just sit behind cover till they do and then pick them up.
KDR is everything.

Honestly, those people I am not even surprised by.
You know who REALLY surprises me?
The usual 4-5 people at the bottom who go like 2-28 or 0-15.
I don't know how that is even possible.

Pastry

Banned
I was using that shotgun yesterday and was consistently going 2:1 for my KD ratio. It's really powerful, you just have to be careful and swing around the sides.

For those of you that preordered at Best Buy, did you receive your code yet for the new map? I have not.

I pre-ordered online and pick it up in-store at midnight. I received the code on the 17th.

Many of them know where the vehicles/heroes spawn and just sit behind cover till they do and then pick them up.
KDR is everything.

Those are scores of just kids running around in Star Wars. I know because I let my friends 8 year old son run around in Supremacy on Endor and that was pretty much his score at the end of it.

They sit on hero/villain/AT-AT powerups most likely.

Or they run the cheese build of Scout trait, DL-44 blaster, impact grenade, jetpack, and personal shield. Since you have infinite sprint, you can easily get behind a group of enemies and go to town with the DL-44 blaster. Get in a bind? Pop shield and throw an impact grenade while you jetpack out of there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A decently easy way to get a bunch of kills in a match of Supremacy or Walker Assault is to grab an air vehicle, get some distance, slow down, line up where groups of enemies are, and unleash blaster pain. If they've got good air fighters it'll be hard, but generally you can do this over and over (swoop around, line up, fire, repeat) and earn yourself a lot of kills for one life while putting pressure on the opposition.

A decently easy way to get a bunch of kills in a match of Supremacy or Walker Assault is to grab an air vehicle, get some distance, slow down, line up where groups of enemies are, and unleash blaster pain. If they've got good air fighters it'll be hard, but generally you can do this over and over (swoop around, line up, fire, repeat) and earn yourself a lot of kills for one life while putting pressure on the opposition.

Hard to find infantry on the ground in my experience. I can't see them at all but I just strafe the control points usually and get a occasional kill at least.

Sequel won't be announced next year though. March 2017 is the best guess for that announcement. They'll have other Star Wars titles to show off soon and won't need to annouce Sw:Bf2 as early as they did with sw:bf.

Dice has supported all of their games for long stretches, directly or not. I don't see why that would change now. Bf4 is still getting patches and free dlc.

This game will not have legs like BF4. To start off with there are too few maps, so you have to buy dlc to get where BF4 started at. I love this game but the lack of maps is ridiculous. That and the BIG lack of a reason to keep playing. The lack of weapons and weapon mods is shallow as well.

The range is pretty short, like 10 feet? Beyond that you'll be doing zero damage. If you're close its a one or two hit kill.

Yup, always use it in Deathmatch, Cargo and Dropzone. Instant kills at those ranges. Use coolant flush cards when you encounter several people at the same time for more profit! :D

You know I've been trampled by an AT ST as a hero, been ran over by a speeder just as I got Luke, and yet, I've never been mad at the game, I just sit there laughing my ass off sometimes.

This isnt me but LMAO, again.

egocrata

Banned
I had a couple of Empire wins in Endor yesterday. The first one was a really, really close match; we only won because on the very last push the Imperials got an AT-ST out at the right moment and it laid waste on us with two incredible grenade barrages at the very last minute. He killed five guys on the first one, three on the second. The walker made it with 9% left.

The second win I was on the Imperial side, and it was really one sided. Basically some really, really skilled got the Emperor right at the start, and proceeded to utterly demolish the rebels on the first set of uplinks. Seeing a hero laying waste is awesome; he stayed alive and murdering people like crazy for the first segment (including a hapless Han Solo), and only died after the rebels went crazy after him on the second set. So crazy, in fact, that they only had 3 Y-Wings, so we got to the last checkpoint with the Walker at 85%, and won the game with it at 60%.

When this game truly clicks, it is friggin awesome.

Osahi

They sit on hero/villain/AT-AT powerups most likely.

Or they run the cheese build of Scout trait, DL-44 blaster, impact grenade, jetpack, and personal shield. Since you have infinite sprint, you can easily get behind a group of enemies and go to town with the DL-44 blaster. Get in a bind? Pop shield and throw an impact grenade while you jetpack out of there.

Or they are those annoying fucks that hide in camping spots where you can only get with a jetpack. Had one of them yesterday in Cargo on Tatooine, hiding on top of a doorframe in the courtyard where the cargo was. As most attackers came from the door he was sitting on, he raked in the kills. Even when you flanked and killed him, he just went back because he new he would have easy kills.

Had another one on Endor in Pod Capture, on top of the downed spaceship. Just fired on everyone passing by, and usually you were dead before you realised you were shot at from above.

Love this game though. It's shallowness is just a strongpoint for me. Makes it easy to jump into and find fun. + the star Wars atmosphere is right up my alley!

Got my copy for free, so I don't want to complain, but my nly grief is that I have the Xbox version. The graphics I don't care so much about (played the beta on PS4 and in the end, Xbox One is still a looker. You only see the difference side by side I guess), but I have more friends there, like the controller more, miss the share button now and yesterday I had two terrible annoyences. One was the Xbox controller lost connection mid match (something that happens from time to time) which cost me a kill. The other moment was mid match the message I needed to update the console. Bah, at least on PlayStation they don't interrupt you with this when you're playing... (I guess, never happened to me at least)

I sure wish I was better at this game. I wonder if changing the controls to be more like Destiny would help, since that's what I'm more used to? Has anyone tried that?

moai

I dont mind people camping in spots that are reachable with the jetpack i think its fair. What i find disgusting is people camping with heroes. I was playing wa as rebels on endor and this guy was camping on the landing platform with boba fett, taking pot shots and missiles from way up there. You should not be allowed to be up there and he was not helping his team. Second phase he went to the lake and took shots from there, far away from the uplinks. His team lost but he ended 32-1. Really annoying if you were on his team.

N30RYU

As I said earlier in this thread... we need more airship modes... like some mode like WA but in space with ships shutting down a reber cruiser or a star destroyer.

As I said earlier in this thread... we need more airship modes... like some mode like WA but in space with ships shutting down a reber cruiser or a star destroyer.

I'm surprised there is no vehicle only Hoth Assault. Like come on. Snowspeeders, walkers, xwings and tie fighters

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
KDR is everything.

From what I have seen the average person will go negative KDR something like 15 kills with about 20 deaths.

A lot of players seem to have a really hard time on maps like Hoth, where it's super open, hard to spot enemies, and really easy to get killed from any direction. Especially on supremacy during the last few points where the whole battle is taking place outside.

Hoth is easily the hardest map for the 20v20s

Klyka

Banned
From what I have seen the average person will go negative KDR something like 15 kills with about 20 deaths.

A lot of players seem to have a really hard time on maps like Hoth, where it's super open, hard to spot enemies, and really easy to get killed from any direction. Especially on supremacy during the last few points where the whole battle is taking place outside.

Hoth is easily the hardest map for the 20v20s

yeah that's often me when I try to take objectives and get killed over and over. Slight negative KDR.
But those crazy negative ones,I can't imagine. And then super low score to boot.
It'd drive me mad.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
For those of you that preordered at Best Buy, did you receive your code yet for the new map? I have not.

Received the code the same day I did in store pick up on the 17th. It was emailed in the receipt, or if you get a printed out receipt it would be on that too. I opt out of those.

On side note. First time going Multiplayer. Was playing Blast last night, and having, well, a Blast. Old school deathmatch in glorious Star Wars immersion. Was poop starting off. About 2-3 rounds in I was the middle of the pack. Then 4-6 rounds in I started to dominate. Love the Tatooine/Falcon Hangar map. Went 25 something to 5 K/D. For some reason that map felt very familiar to me, even though I have never played it. Maybe because it has been repeated so many times in past games and map for other games like Unreal Tournament. Averaged in the top 3 there after. Had to slow myself down a bit compared to most twitch shooters (and I started to do better), and stop staring at all the glorious little touches, lol.

Nyx

Yep that's me though I would have less kills.

I know that I move too much in online shooters (I can't just sit somewhere and wait) but in this game my deathcount is even higher than in something like BF4.

derFeef

I know that I move too much in online shooters (I can't just sit somewhere and wait) but in this game my deathcount is even higher than in something like BF4.

Yup. No idea how others are doing... lol.
If I am lucky and get into an AT-AT it's carnage time though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Yeah I do the same thing, it's funny because the more you die the more you wanna rush in to even out your KDR, but the more you rush in the more you end up dead anyways. Almost 30 hours later and I still haven't fully figured out the rhythm for how to not die really. I am best on tatooine because there is a lot of cover from the ridges as well as a good amount of ways to get the drop on people but on a map like Hoth I just always get absolutely crushed.

The game in general is just really really hard, I almost wish that they would hide your deaths from you and just display your player level instead lol.

Abylim

Ok, hit rank 30. What is everyones thoughts on the weapons and cards? I have tried them all, minus the bowcaster, and I cant find anything I really like. The RT-97c seems to be the best, but it gets severely out damaged, even if I am headshotting. If the other guy has competent accuracy, I usually get beat.

Any thoughts? Also, whats so good about the Cycler?

MastAndo

I sure wish I was better at this game. I wonder if changing the controls to be more like Destiny would help, since that's what I'm more used to? Has anyone tried that?
I play the game like Destiny, but it's not a conscious thing...it's the hundreds of hours of Destiny burned into my brain. I play in first person, use a weapon with some range (namely the EE-3), keep my distance, and almost always use the scope before shooting. I'm fully aware that this goes against how good players are playing this game, but playing any other way makes me feel out of sorts. Just about at a 1.0 K/D ratio right now (which is pretty good for me) after getting massacred regularly for the first 5 or 6 hours of playing, so steadily improving. I don't think this manner of playing is ideal for this game though, so not sure I would advise it.

I unlocked the DL-44 yesterday and while I see how devastating it is in close combat, that's just not my style. I use grenades at that distance, and otherwise try to be sneaky about picking people off.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Ok, hit rank 30. What is everyones thoughts on the weapons and cards? I have tried them all, minus the bowcaster, and I cant find anything I really like. The RT-97c seems to be the best, but it gets severely out damaged, even if I am headshotting. If the other guy has competent accuracy, I usually get beat.

Any thoughts? Also, whats so good about the Cycler?

For weapons I find myself relying on the E-11 mostly because it does a good chunk of damage and it works at most ranges. The DL-44 is what I use in close quarters maps because it just smokes people with 1 hit headshots and 2 tap body shots.

My go to star cards are the jet pack, the scan pulse and the barrage. I hate Barrage because I feel like I am contributing to the problem of explosive spam, but it's just so strong and versatile.

I run either the body guard or scout trait, I find myself using the scout trait more and more since I can sprint without triggering the enemy radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom