• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainless

I hate when you get a partner that goes 9-36 and every time he spawns on you he runs straight in front of you, into enemy fire..meaning he also ends up blocking half your shots that you were firing at that very same enemy that ends up killing him.

In another game last night, I spawned on a partner as it looked fairly "clear", but as soon as I spawn into the game I was in mid-air being force choked by vader. Yep, I literally spawned directly into a force choke!

I have a few other small nitpicks with the game but they're overlooked easily by the fun I am having playing it

Has there been any word on expanding other modes to single player or offline? If Supremacy was offline vs AI, I would probably buy the game. Wishful thinking, probably?

MADGAME

Finished off Vader with a fully charged Bowcaster shot at close range. I immediately howled my best Chewbacca impression, it was an instinctive reaction.

Man, the maps are fine, and I'd start being okay with the lack of overall content, or meat to the game, if it wasn't so fucking broken. Spawn points in the two biggest modes absolutely ruin it if the team is privy to that information. Being vertical is a necessity, because higher ground points rule the game. The wallhack card has far too much range, and it's something even I abuse!

The weapons are alright until you start getting to the last unlock and the shotgun pistol, where all it takes is a single blast and the person drops. I've topped Blast doing that nasty stuff. (I still think each weapon needs a more defining feature)

Grenade spam is far too real, either with barrage or impact. This makes people move towards having a jetpack for most maps and a grenade as a side piece, which sucks because the other cards look like fun. Homing rockets aren't nearly as bad as people say, although once again I have the jetpack on deck almost always.

Fighters Squadron forces the Imperial side to work harder because they don't have an A-Wing with weird ass hitboxes.

And the lack of communication. Holy shit I keep complaining about this but it's truly awful. If someone spots a walker going down due to a speeder, being able to notify or remind people to watch out for that shit and get in the air would save so many matches. Same thing with "don't fucking crowd in the hallways they have grenades" (even if some matches force you to go that way).

The maps aren't designed horribly, but the mechanics just ruin it. Endor is hilariously onesided, and being higher than your opposition is far too great an advantage. Looks like they did take some stuff from the prequels.

Autobalance and team scrambling don't exist. They just assume people like hopping from game to game. Which is fine now, but as the player count thins it's going to be a problem.

Too many people are focused on TDMing it, and I can't blame them - the game tailors you to act like that since you get the most points that way in every mode. That's fine in Blast, but you have people ignoring the objectives in Walker and Supremacy because the game wants them to worry about their K/D more.

The game is just weirdly chaotic. Like, it's trying to be balanced and fun, but the fandom part gets in the way and they go all insane. A-Wings would have a smaller hitbox, probably, but translating that into the game kinda ruins the experience.

It's definitely light on content in general, but the gameplay could stand on its own. But they need to start moving towards balancing things soon. I'd be in it for the long haul (maybe DLC if the player count holds up, depending on how good it is) if the start correcting some of these issues.

For the record, even my more casual friends are noticing things from the above. One of them stopped playing the two biggest modes because he kept getting spawn killed, and honestly, that shit should not be happening.

paskowitz

If you are playing Walker Assault as the rebels, don't choose Luke. Leia is absolutely beast against Walkers. Her 1 hit kill pistol, honor gaurd rocket/homing launchers and ability to drop power ups all together deliver crazy amounts of damage.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder if some of the issues will be patched when Jakku hits. I know DICE usually does some major patches around DLC launches and a lot of the feedback I've heard should be relatively quick to implement.

Pastry

Banned
I wonder if some of the issues will be patched when Jakku hits. I know DICE usually does some major patches around DLC launches and a lot of the feedback I've heard should be relatively quick to implement.

I imagine we will see a "winter patch" at Jakku or shortly after, the big patches are usually seasonal and come with the DLC.

Theorry

"Star Wars: Battlefront's upcoming free Battle of Jakku DLC will bring a new 40-player Turning Point experience to the sci-fi shooter.

Jakku is the desert planet to be featured in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, although Battlefront's level is set straight after Return of the Jedi's final battle.

The Empire is being pushed back, in other words, but still has plenty of fight left in it.

It's against this backdrop that Turning Point will take place, on the sandy Graveyard of Giants map dotted by downed starfighters.

Rebels must take one of three control points, which will then open up further points located deeper within Empire territory. This continues until you unlock the ability to perform a final assault on the Empire base.

Empire players must split up and defend the control points, whose capture percentage does not reset if Rebels are forced back.

"At the edge of the map, the Empire has constructed a make-shift base as well as smaller fortifications strewn across the landscape," DICE's lead level designer Dennis Brännvall has explained.

"Rebels need to locate and capture one of three control points in Imperial control. The clock is ticking, but if the Rebel team succeeds with a capture additional time will be added and new control points will be available for capture.

"Moving through these increasingly challenging checkpoints, the ultimate goal is the Empire's base where the final stand will take place."

Airspeeders and AT-STs will feature in the mode, while a Super Star Destroyer (not pilotable) will crash in the map's background.

EA is set to show off the first full gameplay from the DLC next Monday, 30th November at 7pm UK time, the day before the add-on is released to pre-order customers on 1st December (then on 8th December for everyone else)."

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone want to explain why my ping was under 100 on Friday but since the weekend, it has been well over 100?

EDIT Wut, Windows diagnosis "fixed" something. Hopefully that affects the speed positively...

MiguelItUp

EA is set to show off the first full gameplay from the DLC next Monday, 30th November at 7pm UK time, the day before the add-on is released to pre-order customers on 1st December (then on 8th December for everyone else)."

Can't wait! I'm really looking forward to seeing what they plan on doing with future DLC. I hope it's really beefy.

TVexperto

"Star Wars: Battlefront's upcoming free Battle of Jakku DLC will bring a new 40-player Turning Point experience to the sci-fi shooter.

Jakku is the desert planet to be featured in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, although Battlefront's level is set straight after Return of the Jedi's final battle.

The Empire is being pushed back, in other words, but still has plenty of fight left in it.

It's against this backdrop that Turning Point will take place, on the sandy Graveyard of Giants map dotted by downed starfighters.

Rebels must take one of three control points, which will then open up further points located deeper within Empire territory. This continues until you unlock the ability to perform a final assault on the Empire base.

Empire players must split up and defend the control points, whose capture percentage does not reset if Rebels are forced back.

"At the edge of the map, the Empire has constructed a make-shift base as well as smaller fortifications strewn across the landscape," DICE's lead level designer Dennis Brännvall has explained.

"Rebels need to locate and capture one of three control points in Imperial control. The clock is ticking, but if the Rebel team succeeds with a capture additional time will be added and new control points will be available for capture.

"Moving through these increasingly challenging checkpoints, the ultimate goal is the Empire's base where the final stand will take place."

Airspeeders and AT-STs will feature in the mode, while a Super Star Destroyer (not pilotable) will crash in the map's background.

sounds awesome, didnt expect that

Well this sounds like a lot of fun. Gives me even more hope for the stuff in the Season Pass.

I hope so. So this means that Jakku will have 3 "big" modes If I read that PR-thing correctly?

Are you assuming the map will be available for the other two big modes? I mean, it probably will. DICE would be stupid to not :p

Would be even better if they repurposed the other big maps to work with this mode. A mode with one map would be weird.

This game is amazing. My only gripe besides waiting for an expansion is the lack of nonlaser weapons. Dark Forces series had actual bullets and they would be nice for variety.

I just hope one of the DLCs brings back classic Conquest. Supremacy is great, but Conquest is unrivaled.

Yeah this is why I'm not playing Battlefront much..I thought Supremacy was gonna be just like conquest but its more like chain link. I need a true conquest mode where I can pick flags as a spawn point instead of getting a shitty DICE spawn and dying multiple times in a row.

Ozorov

Are you assuming the map will be available for the other two big modes? I mean, it probably will. DICE would be stupid to not :p

Would be even better if they repurposed the other big maps to work with this mode. A mode with one map would be weird.

Yes I'm just assuming :)

GeeTeeCee

I know it's incredibly unlikely, but I really hope the crashing Star Destroyer on Jakku is a BF4 "levolution" type scenario rather than a non-interactive background element.

Sad, but I guess I expected it. I'd love to play this game like old Battlefront. Hard to want to pay full price for a MP game, especially given I played the old ones allllll the time in offline mode

what`s the problem playing online instead of offline? so you wouldnt pay full price for a MP game but you would pay fullprice to play agains bots? Really ?....

Oh nice--has any of this new info been posted yet? Also, part of my question is how many maps the Turning Point mode will support--it's not clear here.

Graveyard of Giants
Fight on the Graveyard of Giants in Turning Point, Supremacy, Walker Assault, and Fighter Squadron

Goazan Badalands
Experience the badlands of Goazan in Blast, Drop Zone, Droid Run, Cargo, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs. Villains.

1 big mode map, 1 small mode map.

Our realization of Jakku, 29 years before its appearance in Star Wars™: The Force Awakens™

featuredImage.img.jpg

As debris from battles above shower the desert ground, the feeling of chaos is intensifying. A Star Destroyer has just crash-landed and some of its engines are still smoking. The battle has just begun…

We are proud to give you a first visual glimpse of The Battle of Jakku, coming to Star Wars™ Battlefront™ on December 1st, 2015, for all those that pre-ordered Star Wars Battlefront, and a week later for all other game holders. The Battle of Jakku was the pivotal moment when the New Republic confronted key Imperial holdouts on a remote desert planet.

Learn how to be among the first players to experience the Battle of Jakku

Taking place in the aftermath of the Rebel victory in the Battle of Endor, players will experience the events that created the massive, battle-scarred landscape of Jakku shown in Star Wars™: The Force Awakens™.

Introducing Turning Point mode

Turning Point is a vast Star Wars Battlefront game mode for 40 players, included in The Battle of Jakku. This mode portrays the efforts of the Rebel Alliance to defeat the Empire following the Battle of Endor. Lead Level Designer Dennis Brännvall explains:

“At the edge of the map, the Empire has constructed a make-shift base as well as smaller fortifications strewn across the landscape. Following an emergency landing, the Rebels need to locate the enemy bases to attack and take control of them all.”

What are the rules of Turning Point?

Rebels need to locate and capture one of three control points in Imperial control. The clock is ticking, but if the Rebel team succeeds with a capture additional time will be added and new control points will be available for capture. Moving through these increasingly challenging checkpoints, the ultimate goal is the Empire’s base where the final stand will take place.

What kinds of vehicles will be featured in Turning Point?

Since the starfighters are occupied in the battle above or simply destroyed, we wanted to highlight airspeeders and AT-STs in this mode. In contrast to its role in Walker Assault or Supremacy, the AT-ST is a slightly more defensive vehicle in this mode. Piloting it, you will need to move between areas a lot to meet the Rebel assault. If you’re in an airspeeder on the other hand, you’ll be on the offence, giving supportive fire to your Rebel team mates.

How does the chaotic battle beyond add to the overall gameplay experience?

The peripheral action on the larger map - Graveyard of Giants - is truly a great visual spectacle. The battles are ever-present; debris will be falling from the skies, and you’ll even see a Super Star Destroyer come crashing down during the round.

What will players love within Turning Point?

A Turning Point match will often be very exciting since the outcome is never sure. There are also a lot of tactical possibilities that need to be considered. For instance: once the Rebels have started taking over a control point, it can’t be reclaimed by the Empire. Let’s say there’s only 25% left of the claim process and the Empire has managed to drive away the Rebels. This means that the Empire have to choose between defending this vulnerable point or another part of the map. The Rebels in turn need to decide where their next attack should be.

In the artwork above, a Star Destroyer has crash landed, and from the belly of this battle-scarred metal giant, a myriad of Imperial ground troops have evacuated and engaged with Rebel troops, also strangers to this desert planet.

This intensity of battle was one of the aspects that DICE Concept Artist Anton Grandert wanted to convey when creating the Jakku artwork. The size difference between the visual elements was another:

“There’s a David and Goliath theme to this,” says Grandert. “The epic, huge super structures of the Star Destroyers contrast against the tiny but brave Rebel soldiers fighting the Imperial forces.”

image.img.jpg

And true to the core gameplay of Star Wars Battlefront, the artwork features many different aspects of Star Wars battle fantasies - on land and in the sky.

“We wanted to portray a battle completely surrounding you, in every direction. Debris is falling from the sky, telling the story of battles above. On the surface of the planet you can see ground troops as well as X-wings, all taking part of the fight,” Grandert says.

Together with Jakku, other iconic Star Wars locations like Hoth, Tatooine, Endor, and the previously unexplored planet Sullust will all be part of Star Wars Battlefront. Hit the link below to learn how you can be among the first to experience all this.

The heros vs villains gametype has emerged as the clear favorite in my group of 5-6 friends who regularly play together. It feels more intimate, and like our coordination makes a real impact on the outcome of the game. There's also an interesting dichotomy between the rebels and the empire, as the rebels have two heroes with guns while the empire only has Boba Fett. Makes for some interesting tactics

Ozorov

Don't see anything. Maybe because I'm on mobile.
Graveyard of Giants: Fight on the Graveyard of Giants in Turning Point, Supremacy, Walker Assault, and Fighter Squadron

Goazan Badalands Experience the badlands of Goazan in Blast, Drop Zone, Droid Run, Cargo, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs. Villains.

what`s the problem playing online instead of offline? so you wouldnt pay full price for a MP game but you would pay fullprice to play agains bots? Really ?....

Yes? See my incredible playtime in Battlefront I and II. When the player base dries up, me and a friend can splitscreen against bots for ages.

Not sure why you're struggling to understand that. Even with bots I'd still be a little hesitant at the overall content Battlefront offers.

Really curious how/if the SSD is a traversable area of the map. The description says it happens in the background, but this concept art/description indicate that its actually a part of the map?

In the artwork above, a Star Destroyer has crash landed, and from the belly of this battle-scarred metal giant, a myriad of Imperial ground troops have evacuated and engaged with Rebel troops, also strangers to this desert planet.

This intensity of battle was one of the aspects that DICE Concept Artist Anton Grandert wanted to convey when creating the Jakku artwork. The size difference between the visual elements was another:

“There’s a David and Goliath theme to this,” says Grandert. “The epic, huge super structures of the Star Destroyers contrast against the tiny but brave Rebel soldiers fighting the Imperial forces.”

Actually, reading it now--maybe the Super Star Destroyer crashes in the background, but an already crashed Star Destroyer is a part of the map? Pretty cool!

Shaking tails just comes down to accelerating one direction since the "lock" has an issue once you start making fast turns. Then hitting your "evasive manuever" flip once you think you got out of the persons view(2-3 seconds after starting the turn). Quickly change directions again and you'll evade the majority of people. Most people get disoriented if you make them go up and lose the horizon. The trick is to not even know where you want to go after the flip(as long as it is not into a wall). Make sure to go for the cooldown refreshes if you are close to the ground.

On top of that Fighter Squadron is just all sorts of messed up right now. Let me explain.

The fact that A-Wings are hard to kill(broken hitbox) means that if the Rebels have enough A-Wings it is practically impossible to eliminate players(unless you get into the Slave 1) fast enough. So what ends up happening is Rebels have a huge uptime in the battlefield constantly killing AI AND Human targets that there comes a point where an Empire is instantly targeted the moment he gets out of spawn. Since they are only one of a handful of targets out there.

As an Empire it is practically impossible to take out an A-Wing instantly unless you get lucky by surprising them with a ton of laser damage and then a missile up their butt before they can react. If an A-Wing reacts(to avoid the missile) though you are basically left hung out to dry to die to the other 3-4 A-Wings in the area.

Everything just comes down to how broken the A-Wings are right now. Once that is fixed the balance will be back in this mode.

The scoring needs to be fixed too. I love this mode, but every match is over in 3 minutes. They need to either lower the amount of points for a transport takedown or up the overall needed points to 500 or something. I've never seen a match get even close to the 10 minute time limit.

egocrata

Banned
I love that they have to mention that you can not pilot the star destroyer.

Boy, a carrier assault-style mode with a MC-80 and a SD battling it out in Space would be so, so, so awesome.

moerser

having a blast so far and just jumped the gun on the season pass. (mind you, i usually suck terribly at playing a shooter on console, but this one is really fun)
the only conplaint i have so far is how you obtain points thingy. i dont like that you get the most points for kills in an objective based game.

MADGAME

So are there known issues with trophies not unlocking? I have multiples I know I've completed but they are showing incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom