• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

drotahorror

Anyone see these screenshots of this 'graphics mod'? Looks like a lot of sharpening but...I dunno it looks good.

http://imgur.com/a/ib8nW
iXTADSu.png

bsWibVG.png

5taquitos

So are there known issues with trophies not unlocking? I have multiples I know I've completed but they are showing incomplete.

Yeah, I can't get the Blast kills trophy, and I've read reports of people having issues with other trophies.

Someone earlier mentioned that the Blast kills trophy can only be unlocked if you have the most kills when time runs out, which is pretty much impossible with full games.

Anyone see these screenshots of this 'graphics mod'? Looks like a lot of sharpening but...I dunno it looks good.

Looks to me like it's hiding the flaws of the base game, making it look faux-better.

When you view them fullsize they look like shit, and it'll probably look even worse in motion. Check out how blurred the HUD icon is at the bottom left of that first picture for example.

The part that IS impressive is that such a simple mod drains 30-40FPS from you.

5taquitos

That's actually a good comparison. They have this strange filter on them all, they look real, but look as if they're real on a VHS tape, if that makes any sense.

I kinda like the effect, that is how I grew up watching the movies after all.

I wouldn't play with that mod enabled though :p

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Finished off Vader with a fully charged Bowcaster shot at close range. I immediately howled my best Chewbacca impression, it was an instinctive reaction.

Hahaha, why I love Star Wars.

Some uncanny valley shit right here. Your average nor core gamer would think this was from a fan fiction film.

MADGAME

Yeah, I can't get the Blast kills trophy, and I've read reports of people having issues with other trophies.

Someone earlier mentioned that the Blast kills trophy can only be unlocked if you have the most kills when time runs out, which is pretty much impossible with full games.
I’m having trouble with two of them.

Stay on Target - had more than 10 player kills (not AI) in Fighter Squadron
The Force is Strong with This One – had more than 10 kills in one hero run in hero hunt and almost 30 for the match

I don’t understand the problem with the Blast one (Playing the Objective). It says have the most kills in a match of Blast. Doesn’t that mean at the end of the match? Otherwise, the person who gets the first kill would get the trophy, then everyone who takes the lead from that point on.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If the other big maps are playable on Turning Point, Jakku is going to be a much bigger DLC than I expected from a free release shortly after lunch.

If the other big maps are playable on Turning Point, Jakku is going to be a much bigger DLC than I expected from a free release shortly after lunch.

I don't get the point if it's just for 1 map... that would be awful. On a side note i was praying this game got something similar to rush mode.

I'm sticking with my business-logic cynicism: if it was available for the other big maps, they would have said so. Why not announce that?

Apeboy

The 800lb gorilla in the room is DICE made up some shit about a online FPS to be played by "casual" players and everyone has bought in to it unquestioningly. DICE artists and sound people are second to none but their game architects/designers steadfastly refuse to learn from the past.

I find it hard, if not impossible, to believe those that made game design decisions played the game long enough to validate or defend their decisions.

SpawnHell, just how far down in the sand do you have to bury your head through the entire development process to not think that's not a problem for casual Star Wars fans?

What do you have to tell yourself game after game that having so-called objective based gameplay on wide open, long sight line maps with long range weapons and player unlocks most easily achieved via kills is somehow compatible? Will someone please think about the poor Star Wars fan who keeps getting obliterated at every turn because they don't know the online FPS canon of keep moving, never stop, objectives are for noobs. Dead noobs.

What is casual about designing another game that allows players running full bore, unobstructed, jumping, tossing grenades, wiping out platoons of casual Star Wars fans as they go because there are no choke points or places to make a stand or even run and hide just to get your bearings. Also, at what point do you think that everyone who buys your game globally has lan-like internet connections to keep track of Boba the one man flying missle show mowing down that poor Star Wars fan now regretting his purchase.

For definition purposes - The best I can figure is those of us that have bumped gaming time down on their priority list by choice or by necessity are now casual players.

A game genre that needed to change if it wanted to appeal to casual players would be online mmos or RPGs. Games that required enormous time commitments to make a health potion, let alone slay a lvl 2 rat. Obviously I'm embellishing to make a point but ffxi anyone? Though not. Trying to jump on the casual bandwagon with a online FPS is just comes across as a lazy excuse that doesn't really mean anything.

This game is so much fun. Got to level 8 and got my first positive KDR of 16 kills 11 deaths.

The only negatives is really that I wish you could choose spawn points like BF4.

5taquitos

I’m having trouble with two of them.

Stay on Target - had more than 10 player kills (not AI) in Fighter Squadron
The Force is Strong with This One – had more than 10 kills in one hero run in hero hunt and almost 30 for the match

I don’t understand the problem with the Blast one (Playing the Objective). It says have the most kills in a match of Blast. Doesn’t that mean at the end of the match? Otherwise, the person who gets the first kill would get the trophy, then everyone who takes the lead from that point on.

Yeah, the Playing the Objective trophy should just be having the most kills when the Blast match ends. The problem with it unlocking right now is that it only counts if the game ends by the timer running out. With two full teams, the round usually ends long before that, and for whatever reason the trophy doesn't pop.

MADGAME

Yeah, the Playing the Objective trophy should just be having the most kills when the Blast match ends. The problem with it unlocking right now is that it only counts if the game ends by the timer running out. With two full teams, the round usually ends long before that, and for whatever reason the trophy doesn't pop.
Ah that makes more sense, thanks for clarifying. I'd like to know if others have a problem with the two I mentioned.

what`s the problem playing online instead of offline? so you wouldnt pay full price for a MP game but you would pay fullprice to play agains bots? Really ?....
Honestly, I love playing multiplayer type games with bots. The power trip is fun. Had way more fun in the original Battlefronts offline than I ever did online.

5taquitos

Ah that makes more sense, thanks for clarifying. I'd like to know if others have a problem with the two I mentioned.

I have no idea if this is true, but applying the logic of the Blast trophy to the fighter trophy may mean you have to have 10 kills when the timer runs out as opposed to one side winning by getting 200.

deim0s

You guys are right Cargo IS fun!

Do you all play in third person? For some reason first person aiming is a bit jumpy on PS4. You lean down to lead shooting on the stick it then swings wildly.

That Jakku DLC sounds exciting :D

Turning Point sounds a lot more like Rush.

3 Phases, and with every Phase you have to capture the base.

I hope after Jakku is out for everyone, the Map will be added to the standard Walker Assault and Supremacy Playlist. And should be required to own.

I am a big BF fan as well but isn't Supremecy basically Conquest in a way? I know the cap point system is a bit different but it's close.

I would be shocked if that was the case. Happy but shocked
Honestly is not even remotely close, in my opinion. The big part of Conquest is tactically choosing which base is more valuable to capture and each base generally also provides additional vehicles and spawn points. Supremacy is just constantly pushing in one direction, much more similar to Rush.

I want to add two more people as moderators on the PS4 community. Jumper is the only one right now. Let me know (post your PSN) if you want to be one. You have to be a member and an active poster in this thread. I'll make a list and tonight or tomorrow morning I'll add the new mods.

bombshell

That Jakku DLC sounds exciting :D

Turning Point sounds a lot more like Rush.

3 Phases, and with every Phase you have to capture the base.

I hope after Jakku is out for everyone, the Map will be added to the standard Walker Assault and Supremacy Playlist. And should be required to own.

The new Jakku maps are confirmed to be playable in the existing mode playlists.

Two new exciting maps

Graveyard of Giants
Fight on the Graveyard of Giants in Turning Point, Supremacy, Walker Assault, and Fighter Squadron

Goazan Badalands
Experience the badlands of Goazan in Blast, Drop Zone, Droid Run, Cargo, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs. Villains.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/features/battle-of-jakku

Yeah sure but not everyone will own it on Dec 1. So there is a chance i wont play the map at all.

I want to add two more people as moderators on the PS4 community. Jumper is the only one right now. Let me know (post your PSN) if you want to be one. You have to be a member and an active poster in this thread. I'll make a list and tonight or tomorrow morning I'll add the new mods.

Hehe thanks buddy :D

Have to grind on PS4 more tomorrow or so :]

Klyka

Banned
The 800lb gorilla in the room is DICE made up some shit about a online FPS to be played by "casual" players and everyone has bought in to it unquestioningly. DICE artists and sound people are second to none but their game architects/designers steadfastly refuse to learn from the past.

I find it hard, if not impossible, to believe those that made game design decisions played the game long enough to validate or defend their decisions.

SpawnHell, just how far down in the sand do you have to bury your head through the entire development process to not think that's not a problem for casual Star Wars fans?

What do you have to tell yourself game after game that having so-called objective based gameplay on wide open, long sight line maps with long range weapons and player unlocks most easily achieved via kills is somehow compatible? Will someone please think about the poor Star Wars fan who keeps getting obliterated at every turn because they don't know the online FPS canon of keep moving, never stop, objectives are for noobs. Dead noobs.

What is casual about designing another game that allows players running full bore, unobstructed, jumping, tossing grenades, wiping out platoons of casual Star Wars fans as they go because there are no choke points or places to make a stand or even run and hide just to get your bearings. Also, at what point do you think that everyone who buys your game globally has lan-like internet connections to keep track of Boba the one man flying missle show mowing down that poor Star Wars fan now regretting his purchase.

For definition purposes - The best I can figure is those of us that have bumped gaming time down on their priority list by choice or by necessity are now casual players.

A game genre that needed to change if it wanted to appeal to casual players would be online mmos or RPGs. Games that required enormous time commitments to make a health potion, let alone slay a lvl 2 rat. Obviously I'm embellishing to make a point but ffxi anyone? Though not. Trying to jump on the casual bandwagon with a online FPS is just comes across as a lazy excuse that doesn't really mean anything.

Anyone who buys a competitive multiplayer shooter and thinks they are not going to get crapped on by better players because it was labeled "casual" needs to rethink their outlook on gamer life. tryhards are everywhere and anything involving player skill means there are people far far better than you.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Oh... Oh my!

How does the chaotic battle beyond add to the overall gameplay experience?

The peripheral action on the larger map - Graveyard of Giants - is truly a great visual spectacle. The battles are ever-present; debris will be falling from the skies, and you’ll even see a Super Star Destroyer come crashing down during the round.

One more week!!!

Unless it's already there and I missed it, I kind of wish the Endor map had the swinging tree trunk attack that smashes AT-STs from Return of the Jedi.

Gleethor

How are they handling DLC integration as far as playlists go? Jakku should be a mandatory download so that all playlists benefit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dunno why or how, but Battlefront has become by go-to multiplayer game. It's just a ton of fun despite its flaws.

Same here. I figured it would be a great game to jump into every now and then to absorb that Star Wars goodness, but the more I play, the more it sucks me back in, and what I thought would be an hour here and there, is several hours, not being able to wait to get home and play some more!!!

All the little touches, sounds, satisfying kills, graphics, smooth gameplay just keep me coming back for more. And Jakku next week, that Giants map is probably going to be the "go to" map from the sounds of it.

Jakku isn't even a download ^^

Just some MB activation nonsense.

Turning Point game mode
Turning Point is a vast Star Wars Battlefront game mode for 40 players, included in The Battle of Jakku. The Rebels spawn in and need to locate three control points in Imperial control and try to capture one of these. The clock is ticking, but if the Rebels succeed with a capture additional time will be added and new control points will be available for capture. Moving through these increasingly challenging checkpoints, the ultimate goal is the Empire’s base where the final stand will take place.

It'll add a new mode too

Ran into my first invincible player on Hoth Walker Assault last night.

I was in a snowspeeder killing time until the AT-ATs became vulnerable and there was a tie interceptor flying around lazily so I decided to try and shoot him a few times. I ended up chasing him around the map and got at least a good 20 direct shots on him and did ZERO damage. This needs to be patched, badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom