• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacix

I need more customisation options for HUD like turn off weapon wheel and mini map, etc.
or only show target points and crosshair.
I would like to be able to get more closer to the objects in the diorama (like in Batman Arkham Knight).

Toa TAK

Banned
I think that would be more a short story.

"Look out!" the Stormtrooper cried. "He's coming this w--!"

tumblr_nr2j64UrXZ1tg6dkho1_500.jpg

lol You guys are meeean.

I always enjoying being the Stromtroopers. They're the real underdogs.

Theorry

December is a "coming month". I wouldn't get your hopes up for more free maps than Jakku. I could be wrong of course.

They mention the other maps seperate from Jakku and say "also"
"...2 free maps on Jakku, and a new mode in 2 weeks..."
"Also, in the future...more free maps and cards in the coming months"

There's something broken with A-Wings right? Cause I always do much better with one than any of the other ships ignoring hero units, they are also the most annoying of the four fighter options to take out.

Yeah, A-wings are broken. They have a messed up hitbox that makes them near impossible to hit while doing turns. Your best bet is to stick behind one and not target him until you see him going for a straight, then lock on and fire EVERYTHING.

The problem is that A-wings have generally already established some form of air superiority and you get picked off the second you enter the map.

Man, I had my first true rage moment on Endor just now. I have wanted to play the hero on the Rebellion side for ages, but I haven't been able to. It's the fifth damn time in a row that I spot the hero icon, and it either disappears right in front of me (and it's always in enemy sight lines, so I get fucked) or I get it and I get killed during the activation. PLEAAAAAAAAAAASE.

On another note, I can't talk. Cause I probably ruined this guy's day (listen to the announcer).
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Gravemind IV/video/12907087

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Awesome, awesome news about the free content. I genuinely love the game and will be playing it for a long time but I'm glad that they are doing something to make the base package more attractive and seem less like a vessel for a season pass.

derFeef

I die a lot in this game. a lot. it's not fun anymore, especially because I am extra careful and can't get any kills or points. I know git gud... but something is very off here :(

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That sounds fantastic!

It kinda makes sense, given what Visceral has done with BFH and what DICE LA is doing with BF4. Both have given free maps and other content to non-Premium customers in the past year. Maybe the tide is turning...

It appears this way. EA will have to in order to stay competitive with other online shooters that are starting to do the same.

Ferrio

Banned
I die a lot in this game. a lot. it's not fun anymore, especially because I am extra careful and can't get any kills or points. I know git gud... but something is very off here :(

Don't dwell on the dying. Death has little consequence in this game and if you're gunning for a good k:d you're playing the wrong game. Play for objectives. Unless it's the TDM mode, then ya dying is bad.

I want a new mode that involves ground troops on a planet and then air combat out in space. The idea in my head how this would work is very vague but it could be done.
This could easily be added to the game with how you're only summoning a ship, not taking off in one. But without being over the battlefield (hahooo) to aid in combat, I guess I see why it's not included.

Maybe add an uplink station control panel to communicate with your team on a ship/station in space to change battlegrounds?

derFeef

Don't dwell on the dying. Death has little consequence in this game and if you're gunning for a good k:d you're playing the wrong game. Play for objectives.

I do, always with Battlefield games as well. That's why it's frustrating... I can't even get to the objectives. I die on eyesight or worse.

DH17, scout card and scan pulse saved me.

Tried the DH17, it's not working for me. All guns feel like I am shooting air, hah.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The sky is utterly wrong color. Breaks the illusion... IMO.

Huh?

Too gray-ish, as if looked through sunglasses.

Maybe phone or monitor or color settings. Looks like the slight bluish hue on my work Mac like watching them in the originals or older camera from the 80's.

Wasn't the sky color always changed through camera filters, even in the original trilogy?

Doesn't break the illusion to me. Most of those screenshots look like they came out of a movie to me.

Agreed, either right out of the movie, or better yet, fan fiction film, since the scenes are not recognizable :p

FranXico

The sky is utterly wrong color. Breaks the illusion... IMO.

Wasn't the sky color always changed through camera filters, even in the original trilogy?

Doesn't break the illusion to me. Most of those screenshots look like they came out of a movie to me.

Lacix

A user (Abood_-_Keko) somehow became invincible in walker assault on PS4. wtf,

K/D 92/1 lol. I hope it is a bug not a cheat.

I hadn't really been following coverage on this game but I am legit shook that there are no outer space battles in this. I read somewhere that the excuse was that they didn't want players flying off on their own away from the action but some friends of mine believe they are holding it for a paid expansion. It seems like an standard in battlefront games it's just shocking in its omission.

I hadn't really been following coverage on this game but I am legit shook that there are no outer space battles in this. I read somewhere that the excuse was that they didn't want players flying off on their own away from the action but some friends of mine believe they are holding it for a paid expansion. It seems like an standard in battlefront games it's just shocking in its omission.

There's really no excuse for no space battles. Fighter Squadron doesn't utilize the land-based setting in any significant way. You might as well be flying in outer space.

There's really no excuse for no space battles. Fighter Squadron doesn't utilize the land-based setting in any significant way. You might as well be flying in outer space.
There might be issues with the engine and simulating a weightless environment. IE, physical capital ships and asteroids that float in a map without velocity. The ships we see in the skybox, are just that. In the skybox and not actual physical objects.

Either that or there wasn't time to meet their deadlines to include space maps at launch.

I simply couldn't have fun with the game between yesterday and today. Every time I find someone face to face I shoot them 10x and their health bar is still like 25%, they shoot me twice and I'm dead. And I'm absolutely sure I'm not missing the shots. And that's using any blaster. This is so goddamn frustrating. Also whenever I get any aircraft I'm basically dead 2 seconds later. I can't even maneuver the freaking craft to avoid the missiles. Absolute bullshit.

Klyka

Banned
I simply couldn't have fun with the game between yesterday and today. Every time I find someone face to face I shoot them 10x and their health bar is still like 25%, they shoot me twice and I'm dead. And I'm absolutely sure I'm not missing the shots. And that's using any blaster. This is so goddamn frustrating. Also whenever I get any aircraft I'm basically dead 2 seconds later. I can't even maneuver the freaking craft to avoid the missiles. Absolute bullshit.

We are soul brothers.

Roussow

There aren't any kinda "Hardcore" modes yet, are there?

I'd be interested in seeing some permadeth (per round) game modes -- also I'd like to see a mode (or a mode modifier) without HUD. It's incredibly immersive to inhabit these maps and this world without the HUD -- especially in first person, although you're currently at a massive disadvantage for doing so. Star Wars Battlefront probably rewards you more than any other game I've played for paying attention to that radar.

I bet we will get a Death Star "surface" space map for Fighter Squadron at some point.

I'm willing to bet that the first round of season pass dlc content is a few Death Star maps, you can't have Walker Assault there, but that's okay, Jakku will have Walker Assault and Supremacy support -- and will be coming free for everyone. So it's not that bad to follow it up with a map that doesn't support those modes, we're still getting something. I can imagine a smaller map based around the hanger the Falcon parks in in Episode 4, especially considering there's a few maps that already revolve around the Falcon as a centerpiece. Including a surface Death Star map with trenches to run for pickups would fit in well here -- also there's the opportunity to mix up Fighter Squadron, perhaps you could add in playable fixed turrets (similar to the ones on Sullust), as a third ship option when you spawn. I would also love a Fighter Squadron variant of Heroes vs. Villains. First team to destroy Slave 1 or the Falcon wins would be a fun time.

Woorloog

Banned
I would argue that space is a boring environment. Not to mention confusing, without a point of reference.

A planet provides horizon, which is immensely helpful in re-orienting one-self.
Sure, space map could have auto-level but during intense maneuvering, it won't have time to activate (probably).

And then there's the The Force Awakens tie-in aspect. So far, it looks like the major battle of TFA is set in atmosphere...

EDIT I bet we will get a Death Star "surface" space map for Fighter Squadron at some point.

MADGAME

I'd like to redact my statement about the two trophies not working, apparently they did but did not sync to the app.

I would argue that space is a boring environment. Not to mention confusing, without a point of reference.

A planet provides horizon, which is immensely helpful in re-orienting one-self.
Sure, space map could have auto-level but during intense maneuvering, it won't have time to activate (probably).

And then there's the The Force Awakens tie-in aspect. So far, it looks like the major battle of TFA is set in atmosphere...

EDIT I bet we will get a Death Star "surface" space map for Fighter Squadron at some point.

Fighting in between an Imperial Star Destroyer and a Mon Calamari Star Cruiser doesn't sound that boring to me. Plus flying near a capital ship should give you all the orientation you need.

border

Conversely though, what does it even matter that there aren't space battles? It'd just be a different skybox - nothing more, nothing less.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There aren't any kinda "Hardcore" modes yet, are there?

I'd be interested in seeing some permadeth (per round) game modes -- also I'd like to see a mode (or a mode modifier) without HUD. It's incredibly immersive to inhabit these maps and this world without the HUD -- especially in first person, although you're currently at a massive disadvantage for doing so. Star Wars Battlefront probably rewards you more than any other game I've played for paying attention to that radar.

Not yet, but have you tried heroes vs. villains? Round based elimination though the non-heroes can keep respawning.

There might be issues with the engine and simulating a weightless environment. IE, physical capital ships and asteroids that float in a map without velocity. The ships we see in the skybox, are just that. In the skybox and not actual physical objects.

Either that or there wasn't time to meet their deadlines to include space maps at launch.

I don't even think they'd need capital ships or asteroids to be moving THROUGH space--they could just be stationary (or slowly rotating, in the case of asteroids).

It's probably the latter--they already had the assets available to utilize, so they went that route.

Conversely though, what does it even matter that there aren't space battles? It'd just be a different skybox - nothing more, nothing less.

I don't disagree, but I feel like it would have at least given them more interesting opportunities for game modes and map design. Weaving in and out of capital ships or asteroids would be more interesting than flying in open air over un-utilized land below, you know?

Ledhead

Awesome that they plan on releasing free maps. Just tried hero hunt for the first time. Blah, not enjoying it. WAAAYY too hard to score the kill on the hero

Roussow

Not yet, but have you tried heroes vs. villains? Round based elimination though the non-heroes can keep respawning.

You know what -- that's a fair point, but you yourself can still keep respawning as a generic Rebel or Imperial. I'd like a mode that's just infantry. Even if it was just a Blast or Drop Zone varient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom