• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Banned
Nothing about the weapons,the damage and the hit registration in this game makes a lick of sense.

A guy stands still at a longish range. I hit him with 6 shots from my E-3 a long range weapon. I do about 10 damage worth with 6 hits. Meanwhile I get instantly killed the moment I peak my head out by all kinds of weapons.

Hits don't register half the time,it's atrocious. I can unload an entire blaster charge into a guy and he will lose like 30 health and I get one hit sound and am dead.

I also noticed that when I zoom in to shoot at targets further away, my lasers fly so slow they can literally be sidestepped.
But if I don't zoom and just hipfire at them? I get hitmarkers and often kills.

Grenades make no sense, they explode 10m from me and I die, yet I throw one at a guys face and he walks it off,kills me and doesn't have bodyguard equipped.
I just now threw a Thermal Imploder, the most badass of all grenades into a group of 4 rebels as I died. The imploder went off and didn't even scratch a single one of them.

Game is just a fucking Star Wars skinned mess of bad design decisions, horrible mechanics, overpowered i win buttons and spawn camper paradise big maps with tiny rocks/branches and invisible ledges you can get stuck on.
I'm actually disgusted that I still manage to usually go positive in my KDR or in the top 10 of scores.

MDave

Just finished a game of walker assault on endor as imperials. Yes we lost, but we came really close because of something happening to me.

I got the invincible glitch for the first time. Must of happened while I was lagging while gunning the turrets in the AT-AT.

Anyway, the other team started calling out on me as a hacker as I started walking up to their uplinks and deactivating them, all the while getting melee's and blasted. I kept using the emote "I got a bad feeling about this" as this was happening, was quite funny! Then some on my team and on their team started saying its a glitch it happens, but before that someone were going to report me. Dangerous glitch!

I eventually threw a grenade on the floor to see if that would kill me, and yep I think that's what got me back to normal.

Is it just me or are the fighters kind of broken? The rebels have a colossal advantage thanks to their shields and the empires boost has no use outside of getting back to he fight faster. Only one team having a defense is awful so I'm hoping they just remove shields and give us all boost. As it stands the only way to win on empire is be on a team that just won by about 150 points as rebels, and even then it's a bit close.

MDave

Is it just me or are the fighters kind of broken? The rebels have a colossal advantage thanks to their shields and the empires boost has no use outside of getting back to he fight faster. Only one team having a defense is awful so I'm hoping they just remove shields and give us all boost. As it stands the only way to win on empire is be on a team that just won by about 150 points as rebels, and even then it's a bit close.

I hit and run with the TIE's, get the hell out of there with boost as soon as I hear a missile lock, and keeping an eye on the radar when the missile is getting close I do a maneuver to shake it off, or go behind a mountain. Then swing back and go on an attack run again.

Ferr986

Conversely though, what does it even matter that there aren't space battles? It'd just be a different skybox - nothing more, nothing less.

Sure It doesn't add much but it's fucking Star Wars. The space battle around the Death Star is one of the most iconic moments in the series.

Delio

A-wing squad all day everyday.

a916

What's the best way to grab an air-speeder and wrap up a AT-AT? Seems like whenever I grab it, I'm too early and I get shot down... and when the shields go down, either there is no spawn or I'm not quick enough.

Noticed a bug or exploit on Endor Walker Assault.

Sorry for the potato quality but I can't upload it directly from the PS4 from my hotel room... So its off screen.

The clip starts out with them having no Y wings locked in and then boom once they get one locked in... They get 5 instantly. Watch the left most uplink and the Y wing at the top to see what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/nEaxBS4mhIk

dk_

When you connect later to a game the hud needs a while to get in sync. Did you play the match from the start?

Felt like near the start. Has this happened other times?

I know it was the first wave.

Edit: Looking at it now... The walkers were about to make it to their first area... So I guess that's realistic. It probably was the hud.

Bastables

I do, always with Battlefield games as well. That's why it's frustrating... I can't even get to the objectives. I die on eyesight or worse.

Tried the DH17, it's not working for me. All guns feel like I am shooting air, hah.

I think it's about finding the games "rhythm" just through exposure you learn how to aim, where the enemies will come from, where you can position, what positions need to be won through fire fights, where the dead ground is to approach objectives.

In 21 hrs I've gone from .85 K/D ratio to 1.7 (99 matches). Some people will do it slower some people will be faster, but even when you think you're "bad" like a souls game you're learning the "patterns" of the map/match ups.

prag16

Banned
I simply couldn't have fun with the game between yesterday and today. Every time I find someone face to face I shoot them 10x and their health bar is still like 25%, they shoot me twice and I'm dead. And I'm absolutely sure I'm not missing the shots. And that's using any blaster. This is so goddamn frustrating.
Definitely seeing a lot of that, though it's a bit inconsistent. It can be extremely frustrating.

I'm sure get gud is a part of it, but that can't come close to explaining everything on its own. Full health head to head both using E11, I get 5-6 chest shots from point blank range, other guy starts with his back to me and lands MAYBE 2, I'm dead. Come the fuck on. Some kind of lag bullshit. Has to be.

Digby

Neo Member
Definitely seeing a lot of that, though it's a bit inconsistent. It can be extremely frustrating.

I'm sure get gud is a part of it, but that can't come close to explaining everything on its own. Full health head to head both using E11, I get 5-6 chest shots from point blank range, other guy starts with his back to me and lands MAYBE 2, I'm dead. Come the fuck on. Some kind of lag bullshit. Has to be.

PC or console?

This has been said many times in this thread but check the ping of the server youre connect to. If its in the 150's youre going to suffer worse. Run networkperfoverlay.enable 1 from the console if youre on PC.

It is lag, or some client server compensation rubbish going on. When i heard dice was doing this game i had mixed feelings. I knew theyd deliver over-the-top sound and detail. I also knew the netcode would be shit. lets be honest, both are absolutely true. Still a great game.

MGrant

Picked the PC version up on Sunday, have had about five hours to play so far, though I do keep going back and forth between this and Blops 3. Thoughts:

+ Atmosphere and effects are gorgeous, and the sound design is spot-on Star Wars.
+ PC Optimization is fantastic. Getting 120+ FPS on a 970 at 1080p with everything Ultra except shadows. Turning shadows to Ultra still keeps me above 84 fps.
+ Online play seems smooth and virtually lag-free; must be close to the servers here (I'm in Asia).

- Controls feel "loose," if that makes sense. I wish they'd just ripped the starfighter controls from Rogue Squadron. On foot, it's too easy to get stuck on small pieces of level geometry, and occasionally too hard to make precise movements.
- Balance is super wack. DL-44 and impact grenades make no sense to me -- why did they increase the TTK in this game so much and yet provide players with such easy methods to score one- or two-hit kills. With the precision of kb/m, so many weapons are made non-viable by these two alone. Add in the fact that Jump Jets and scanning are just so good that I am starting to see very little variety in weapon and star card choice.
- They need more customization options for armor, helmet, species, etc. Star Wars has a billion different options for this stuff, but all we have are different hairstyles and a few token alien species for rebels.

I'm 38 hours in and finally starting to get a little burnt out on this game. I hate to jump on the bandwagon but the small number of different environments has played a big role in this.

Still, I don't regret paying full price for the game at all. I'll certainly get over 60 hours of gameplay in before the first paid DLC comes out, at which point I'll feel completely justified in my purchase ($1/hr of gameplay is a good starting metric for me and MP titles). I'll pick up the season pass on the somewhat cheap during the holidays.

Man, you get some distance, you can completely dominate with the EE-3. I think it's the best long range gun in the game.

https://youtu.be/3p7_Fed9Q9Q

I would argue it's the T21-B. I don't like the bolt spread on the EE-3 at range, but it's easier to aim with and get a hit. If you can figure out how to lead the T21-B, though, you can confidently pop off three successive shots and kill someone REALLY fast. EE-3's definitely more well-rounded. Gotta give it that.

Crisium

Man, you get some distance, you can completely dominate with the EE-3. I think it's the best long range gun in the game.

https://youtu.be/3p7_Fed9Q9Q

I tried to like this weapon because I love burst guns, but I don't care for it. Engaging moving enemies at a distance is too hard, and up close the dps just isn't there. The SE-14C is my go-to weapon to satisfy my burst needs, though of course it cannot compete at range with the EE-3 except if you use Focus Fire (which I do run with).

I tried to like this weapon because I love burst guns, but I don't care for it. Engaging moving enemies at a distance is too hard, and up close the dps just isn't there. The SE-14C is my go-to weapon, though of course it cannot compete at range with the EE-3 except if you use Focus Fire (which I do run with).

Ah, another SE-14C lover! I use explosive shot with it and it absolutely wrecks (close, far, whatever), it's not even fair. I also unlocked EE-3 because of the burst fire which I enjoy but really still prefer to use the SE-14C (with or without explosive shot, but it just makes everything 100% better with explosive shot on).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ah, another SE-14C lover! I use explosive shot with it and it absolutely wrecks (close, far, whatever), it's not even fair. I also unlocked EE-3 because of the burst fire which I enjoy but really still prefer to use the SE-14C (with or without explosive shot, but it just makes everything 100% better with explosive shot on).
I need to give the SE-14C a shot. Just trying to save money for Scout first.

Liberty4all

Banned
I think it's about finding the games "rythem" just through exposure your learn how to aim, where the enemies will come from, where you can position, what positions need to be won through fire fights, where the dead ground is to approach objectives.

In 21 hrs I've gone from .85 K/D ratio to 1.7 (99 matches). Some people will do it slower some people will be faster, but even when you think you're "bad" like a souls game you're learning the "patterns" of the map/match ups.

I agree 100 percent with this. You can't play this game like CoD ... Gunplay is totally different and map awareness plays a huge role particularly in avoiding item deaths.

What gun should I be using in this game? I get killed in one or two hits where it takes me multiple shots to kill. It's starting to really piss me off.

What gun should I be using in this game? I get killed in one or two hits where it takes me multiple shots to kill. It's starting to really piss me off.

E-11 and A280C are good starting points. Pretty well-rounded, but decidedly average at most engagement ranges. Might be best to just rock those until you get decent at aiming in general.

I like the T-21B, RT97C, DL-44, EE-3, and E-11 the most.

I simply couldn't have fun with the game between yesterday and today. Every time I find someone face to face I shoot them 10x and their health bar is still like 25%, they shoot me twice and I'm dead. And I'm absolutely sure I'm not missing the shots. And that's using any blaster. This is so goddamn frustrating. Also whenever I get any aircraft I'm basically dead 2 seconds later. I can't even maneuver the freaking craft to avoid the missiles. Absolute bullshit.
I mean, I do fairly well and often finish top 3,but I'd still love bots in this game for offline play in the multiplayer modes. I don't really communicate with any one anyways, maybe 1 or 2 people at most, so it'll mostly feel the same but give me a give power trip.

PS2 era had so many games with multiplayer style maps and modes playable with bots and was absolutely great. I had way more fun in Battlefront II offline than online. Upsets me that people see no value in bots now that online play is so accessible.

arimanius

I know I'm the only one but I hate heroes in supremacy and walker assault. Get a nice streak going only to be killed cheaply by a hero.

Boke1879

Just had a nice long binge on this game with some friends. Played a variety of modes. This shit is too damn fun. We're taking a break for an hour and going to hop back in soon.

I can only play a few more matches though. Unfortunately I gotta work in the morning.

Ledhead

I agree 100 percent with this. You can't play this game like CoD ... Gunplay is totally different and map awareness plays a huge role particularly in avoiding item deaths.

I agree. Once you get a feel for the general flow of movement on maps you can play accordingly

How's the PC population ? Debating between PC for the grapihcs / FPS and PS4 for the population.
Go PS4 if you can play with a controller. Population is more than PC and Xbone combined.

The game runs at a rock steady 60fps on PS4 at 900p with great FXAA. It's got the cleanest imagine quality of any 900p game I've ever seen.

fritolay

A user (Abood_-_Keko) somehow became invincible in walker assault on PS4. wtf,

K/D 92/1 lol. I hope it is a bug not a cheat.

I've seen reports of this, and saw it myself today on XB1 walker assault. Could not die from blaster kills. Hope it's glitch they can patch and not hacks.

Beaulieu

Nothing about the weapons,the damage and the hit registration in this game makes a lick of sense.

A guy stands still at a longish range. I hit him with 6 shots from my E-3 a long range weapon. I do about 10 damage worth with 6 hits. Meanwhile I get instantly killed the moment I peak my head out by all kinds of weapons.

Hits don't register half the time,it's atrocious. I can unload an entire blaster charge into a guy and he will lose like 30 health and I get one hit sound and am dead.

I also noticed that when I zoom in to shoot at targets further away, my lasers fly so slow they can literally be sidestepped.
But if I don't zoom and just hipfire at them? I get hitmarkers and often kills.

Grenades make no sense, they explode 10m from me and I die, yet I throw one at a guys face and he walks it off,kills me and doesn't have bodyguard equipped.
I just now threw a Thermal Imploder, the most badass of all grenades into a group of 4 rebels as I died. The imploder went off and didn't even scratch a single one of them.

Game is just a fucking Star Wars skinned mess of bad design decisions, horrible mechanics, overpowered i win buttons and spawn camper paradise big maps with tiny rocks/branches and invisible ledges you can get stuck on.
I'm actually disgusted that I still manage to usually go positive in my KDR or in the top 10 of scores.

you sound angry
none of what you are describing ever hapenned to me
whats you internet connection like ?

Liberty4all

Banned
This. Fighter squadron is prob one of my best modes. I think my highest score was 16 kills and 22 ai kills

One thing most folks dont realize is that speed effects weapon strength negatively. Flying slow makes your laserfire stronger.

Also changing to inverted controls helped me huge.

adj_noun

Did eight rounds of Fighter Squadron, eight straight Rebel victories. Win lose win lose win lose (win lose).

I mean, some of them kinda came close, but man.

Ferrio

Banned
This is on the frontpage of reddit.

CSBiByz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom