• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man the insane hate campaign this game has drives me absolutely bonkers and makes me sad for the state of gaming. Nobody gives a shit about quality and development difficulties, just only care about pure numbers. Gamers are absolutely obsesseddd with larger numbers, that's all they ever care about. How many things can I wear? How many maps can I play? How many P's is it? How many weapons?! I get it to a point, but it's absolutely obsessive.

People compare it to Battlefield8 and COD19 and get confused why there isnt as many maps.

People were scared that Dice would try to make this too much like Battlefield and make it a hardcore shooter (which it never was) and are now pissed it's not hardcore enough. I remember people rejoiced when they announced you can't aim down the sights and it can be 3rd person... Now I hear people upset that the gunplay is too simple.

Like holy shit. A developer can never win and gamers can be absolutely pathetic. Well they are probably listening and will prioritize quantity over quality next time... And then people will be confused why it doesnt look as good, why is it so buggy, why doesnt it work for the first few weeks of launch.

But gamers want it all or else they cry like kids that got a red DS instead of the blue one.

Poor E.A. and DICE huh?

They made a shallow ass game with a fantastic presentation. Everything about the presentation is excellent, from the menus to the music to the graphics. But people don't need stellar AAA graphics for a game to be received well. Look at the hundreds of top-played shooters, they don't have stellar graphics and get plenty of love. If this game didn't have the Star Wars license no one would give two shits about it.

PrankT

It's gotten to the point that the only way to be competitive on some maps is to use the DL-44 and its bullshit. I just can't understand how hey thought any of this was balanced. Between the constant nade spam, overpowered heroes and weapons it's a shit show.

Don't tell anyone, but I think the se-14c is even better.

DirtyLarry

The "non fun abilities" in this game are not even fun to use for the person using them.
There is no fun using homing shot. There is no fun using impact grenade. There is no fun in barrage. There is no fun in explosive shot. There is no fun in having a trait equipped that makes you stronger than a non traited player and grows stronger the more kills you get. There is no fun in 1 or 2 shotting people with the DL44.
Speak for yourself in regards to the explosives, as I personally love using the homing shot on jetpacks in particular. It is awesome shooting a jackass who just keeps flying around to avoid any real fighting mid air.
I also love throwing impact grenades that hit the person directly. Love it.
And barrage, even though my level is nowhere near high enough to get it myself, I have used it a handful of times when my partner had it. Felt damn good taking out 3 dudes on top of that mountain by the tunnels area.

My point is just because you do not like something, does not make it good. And also while I agree explosive weapons can be used by people who are not that good, they can also be used by people who are. Very effectively for that matter.
They exist. They will be used. There are multiple ways to counter their use.
If they destroy the game that much for you, I think it is safe to say this game is not for you.

Beefy

Speak for yourself in regards to the explosives, as I personally love using the homing shot on jetpacks in particular. It is awesome shooting a jackass who just keeps flying around to avoid any real fighting mid air.
I also love throwing impact grenades that hit the person directly. Love it.
And barrage, even though my level is nowhere near high enough to get it myself, I have used it a handful of times when my partner had it. Felt damn good taking out 3 dudes on top of that mountain by the tunnels area.

My point is just because you do not like something, does not make it good. And also while I agree explosive weapons can be used by people who are not that good, they can also be used by people who are. Very effectively for that matter.
If they destroy the game that much for you, I think it is safe to say this game is not for you.

I think homing shot needs to have it's distance capped, but that's about it.

0racle

This is a first for me

I'm getting bored of a game because of content, not quality.

That has never been an issue for me. Typically I tap out after getting bored of the gameplay. I want to keep going since its fun but it feels like I've been there done that...and I'm only 7 hrs in

This is a first for me

That has never been an issue for me. Typically I tap out after getting bored of the gameplay. I want to keep going since its fun but it feels like I've been there done that...and I'm only 7 hrs in
I've noticed that I don't feel compelled to play several matches in a row for obvious reasons that you are talking about. However, it is very fun and I come back to it at least twice a day if I have the time. It's meant to be played very casually all around, from the looks of it. I'm ok with this.

jackdoe

Really, the high powered star cards balance each other out in that you can only carry 2. And it's up to you if you want to sacrifice mobility (jetpack) for more explosive power. Obviously, it's incredibly unfair to pair the higher level players with the lower level players who lack the proper tools. However, if Dice had their shit together and actually made a working partner system, it would have been a moot issue as they could have paired lower level and higher level players together, ensuring that they would get access to their partner's star cards. The other more problematic portions of the game are the highly unbalanced Rebel air superiority (if you're playing Imperials and the Rebels have three A-Wings in the air, good luck trying to take back the air from them) and the ridiculously stupid spawn points, that favor one side over the other depending on the map.

I was at a friends for some post festivities and he was playing the game on his X1......Fellas I am sorry

I've noticed that I don't feel compelled to play several matches in a row for obvious reasons that you are talking about. However, it is very fun and I come back to it at least twice a day if I have the time. It's meant to be played very casually all around, from the looks of it. I'm ok with this.

That is exactly how I've been enjoying it. I find that each time I return I'm so amped to play again. It is the Disneyland of videogames.

PrankT

People can use whatever, but there really aren't that many ways to counter homing missiles. If someone locks onto you, you have to be fortunate to be around cover. At least grenades require some form of aiming to get a good arch and not blow yourself up. Homing missile should be a little trickier to use, whether it take longer to lock or have a shorter range.

B-Dex

People can use whatever, but there really aren't that many ways to counter homing missiles. If someone locks onto you, you have to be fortunate to be around cover. At least grenades require some form of aiming to get a good arch and not blow yourself up. Homing missile should be a little trickier to use, whether it take longer to lock or have a shorter range.

If you're being locked onto across the map you have plenty of time to run. I've out run a homing shot by side stepping and hopping. It's main purpose is to make you GTFO and waste your time panicking.

Anyone else experiencing issues with Ion Torpedos not locking onto aircraft? Sometimes they refuse to lock onto enemies and I end up switching back to my main weapon and trying again.

PrankT

If you're being locked onto across the map you have plenty of time to run. I've out run a homing shot by side stepping and hopping. It's main purpose is to make you GTFO and waste your time panicking.
That point wasn't really about being locked on across the map, but I won't go further into it. Missile users are a pretty defensive bunch.

I was at a friends for some post festivities and he was playing the game on his X1......Fellas I am sorry

That is exactly how I've been enjoying it. I find that each time I return I'm so amped to play again. It is the Disneyland of videogames.
Even Disney is expensive and gets boring

jlevel13

This is a first for me

Well, more stuff starts getting added in in four days, new mode and map...

Tubie

This is exactly how I'm playing this game lol.

I have almost 3 hours played and at rank 10. I feel like I'm gonna be playing this game for a long time just because I'm not getting into it hardcore like some people are doing.

Hikami

I saw someone post before that they got the platinum for this game.. how?
The trophy for getting the most kills in blast seems to be glitched for me :( (and a bunch of other people when I checked the battlefront forums)

16BitNova

I'm personally loving this game still. It really feels like I'm in the middle of a huge Star Wars battle, so intense and awesome. Season Pass bought.

I saw someone post before that they got the platinum for this game.. how?
The trophy for getting the most kills in blast seems to be glitched for me :( (and a bunch of other people when I checked the battlefront forums)

It's still obtainable. To get it you need to have the most kills in a Blast match AND have the game end via the timer, not the kill count.

I manage to do this yesterday morning by playing a match that was only half full, which is how many have got it. Playing a game with full quota of players makes it very difficult to nab the trophy.

Hikami

It's still obtainable. To get it you need to have the most kills in a Blast match AND have the game end via the timer, not the kill count.

I manage to do this yesterday morning by playing a match that was only half full, which is how many have got it. Playing a game with full quota of players makes it very difficult to nab the trophy.

Ah I see, well it sounds like a hassle to get into those conditions so I'll just wait for them to fix it I guess.. They said they were looking into it on the official battlefront forums.

All this talk about the DL-44 being so overpowered... DH-17 >>>>. I admit i die most often to the DL-44 but that's just because it's what everyone uses once they hit 25. I've maintained over a 2 kdr running and gunning with the DH-17 and SE-14C. The real problem with this game is the spawning system. It's probably the shittiest spawning I've ever witnessed in a game.

But it is the first game in this new version, it takes time getting there.
It's 2015, this game has been developed by a company that has created shooters for years, and they didnt have to spend extra resources to develop a singleplayer campaign.

The "it's a work in progress" excuse doesn't exactly fly nowadays anyway.

Machina

Banned
Poor E.A. and DICE huh?

They made a shallow ass game with a fantastic presentation. Everything about the presentation is excellent, from the menus to the music to the graphics. But people don't need stellar AAA graphics for a game to be received well. Look at the hundreds of top-played shooters, they don't have stellar graphics and get plenty of love. If this game didn't have the Star Wars license no one would give two shits about it.

That point really doesn't work because this game wouldn't work without Star Wars

Zomba13

That point really doesn't work because this game wouldn't work without Star Wars

Well without Star Wars they'd have to put more effort in to make it a marketable product. The game would totally work without the Star Wars licence it just would be judged more harshly because people wouldn't just hand-wave criticism away with "but it's supposed to be casual and simple because Star Wars!".

This is a really good way of framing how it feels for me too. If they had another planet and another game mode, I don't think there would be as much of a content squabble... since we are getting that in a week, we'll see how that resonates.

One suggestion I do have, however, is a game type that offers more asymmetric gameplay with multiple objective types. So say, the dogfighting team has a different primary objective than the ground team, but successful completion of the objective helps the other team and collectively helps the whole team achieve the goal. As it stands, every mode progresses very linearly. There's nothing wrong with simple, but maybe a more complex mode could complement what's already there very well.

Edit: I have a feeling the season pass for this game will be special... probably amazing. I'm against the price of it, however, and have not bought it.

Ozorov

This is a really good way of framing how it feels for me too. If they had another planet and another game mode, I don't think there would be as much of a content squabble... since we are getting that in a week, we'll see how that resonates.

One suggestion I do have, however, is a game type that offers more asymmetric gameplay with multiple objective types. So say, the dogfighting team has a different primary objective than the ground team, but successful completion of the objective helps the other team and collectively helps the whole team achieve the goal. As it stands, every mode progresses very linearly. There's nothing wrong with simple, but maybe a more complex mode could complement what's already there very well.

Edit: I have a feeling the season pass for this game will be special... probably amazing. I'm against the price of it, however, and have not bought it.

Three days man, threreee daaayssys!!

dk_

Star Wars Battlefront (dunkview)

I stopped watching when he said he was Vader once in 10 hours. And there are more than 4 maps. The hate Battlefront gets, is really getting on my nevers.

I'm playing this game almost every day with my gf since release and we're having more fun playing together than with any other game released this year. I know the season pass is overpriced, but there's enough content for many hours.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
This game has really divided its players into two stark sides.

Well, count me in on the side of those who love it. I never thought I would; I don't play shooters and I don't play online games. Yet here I am. This GameFly copy may just end up being owned rather than returned.

I stopped watching when he said he was Vader once in 10 hours. And there are more than 4 maps. The hate Battlefront gets, is really getting on my nevers.

I'm playing this game almost every day with my gf since release and we're having more fun playing together than with any other game released this year. I know the season pass is overpriced, but there's enough content for many hours.
If you include some of the pretty decent mission content to play with friends... it's hard to say the game is lacking really. There could be more, but as far as multiplayer only goes, I'd find it hard to call a rip off.

5taquitos

At this point I'm avoiding way more homing shots than I'm getting hit by. A little situational awareness makes it pretty easy to put something solid in your path, or to jumppack away. Of course, sometimes you get caught in the open and it sucks, but it's not that bad. I do agree they could reduce the lock range, but long shots are even easier to dodge.

Delio

Honestly if you enjoy it then you do. It shouldn't get on your nerves that others don't like it. You do and that is what matters. Honestly I'm not in either camp, I have fun with the game but only for short bursts and not every day. Doesn't mean I hate it but i'm not in love with it either. Think you just have to learn not to let every opinion of it rile you up to such a level.

I've played this game for 20 hours so far, probably going on 50 or 100. Even without the Jakku stuff in a few days (which I can't wait for) I'm pretty floored as to how much fun I've having with this game right now.

I'm a little confused as to how people figured out within 4 hours of release that this game was "light on content" and a "wallet raping ripoff" when I'm still finding brand new things to collect, unlock, conquer, and just get genuinely excited and giddy about.

There are no bad modes for me, just ones I don't like as much as the others on any given session. But the moments and matches and modes I love are some of the most thrilling and exhilarating Star Wars video game moments I've ever had.

I'm also really surprised at how much time I've spent doing single player challenge stuff or trying to unlock diorama figures or do the little challenges that pop up between multiplayer maps. I'm even more surprised that I'm actually kind of crappy at this game and I still totally love it. I regularly place mid to upper mid tier in matches but I don't really care because the match was such a joy. I can't really say that for other games I'm not fantastic at.

I think a lot of people saw the EA logo on the box and then started creating the narrative of why this game should be vilified. No dedicated campaign, no space battles where you can't see the ground, a season pass etc. It's kind of a shame because this might be the prettiest game of the year and the most I've enjoyed a shooter in ages.

Anyway, I've been meaning to write that out for a while and this seems like the right place for it. Back to playing!

I'm basically the worst person to buy this game since Splatoon is the only shooter I've played more than 5 minutes of and I've never seen a Star Wars film before, but I LOVE this game. Decided to get it on a whim and I'm utterly addicted.

I'm fucking terrible though, how do you even play these kinds of games? I have no idea what to do during a match and just kinda walk around maps until I either find someone or just die. I have no idea how to locate other players + I have no idea how to understand the layouts of maps, is there any way to see that somewhere?

The only mode I'm good at is the one with the ships where you just do some dogfights lmao. The only thing I do in, say blast is kill with the thermal detonators and the homing laser.

Ozorov

I'm basically the worst person to buy this game since Splatoon is the only shooter I've played more than 5 minutes of and I've never seen a Star Wars film before, but I LOVE this game. Decided to get it on a whim and I'm utterly addicted.

I'm fucking terrible though, how do you even play these kinds of games? I have no idea what to do during a match and just kinda walk around maps until I either find someone or just die. I have no idea how to locate other players. I have no idea how to understand the layouts of maps, is there any way to see that somewhere?

The only mode I'm good at is the one with the ships where you just do some dogfights lmao. The only thing I do in, say blast is kill with the thermal detonators and the homing laser.
Play and learn :). You will learn the maps after a while. You can see the enemies while they are shooting or running (if they dont have the scout trait) on the radar pointed with a red "thing" - In which direction they are. If you're playing supremacy, walker assasult etc you will find enemies where the objectives are :)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm fucking terrible though, how do you even play these kinds of games? I have no idea what to do during a match and just kinda walk around maps until I either find someone or just die. I have no idea how to locate other players. I have no idea how to understand the layouts of maps, is there any way to see that somewhere?

I'm no bueno, either, but I've been improving. For me, two things have helped tremendously: learning to read the HUD radar and then unlocking the Scout trait so that I no longer display on the enemy's.

When you're in a match, pay attention to the circle at bottom-left. This is your HUD. The radar displays as red marks at the edges of the circle. The red means enemies are in that direction. As they grow closer, they'll show up as lines, which predict their area of movement. Eventually, if they're really close, they'll just be little red circles that you'll see you're pretty much on top of. By then the shooting will have started, if it hasn't already.

I've realized that many players with far better aim than myself use their HUD a bit less religiously than I do, but most everyone makes good use of it to some extent or another. However, Scout, which unlocks around Rank 18 or so, I think, makes it so that I'm invisible on their sensors while running. You can level it up during battle, too, provided you do well in a given match. It just gets better and better.

If you're like me and you're not good with aiming quickly, really consider building toward this trait. I can't tell you how many times I've snuck up directly behind three or four enemy soldiers and blasted them all to ribbons. Corridors are the best.

Well that explains it, I had no idea how to read the radar. Also man that Scout trait sounds awesome, I'm glad I'll be able to get that soon, since I just hit Rank 16. I'll try your advice, thanks for the help

Hope my aim improves soon too though cause... Yikes.

43 hours played.

around level 40.

Still having a lot of fun. Jakku map comes out Tuesday that will help a lot. My issue with 4 maps for the 2 main modes is if I stay in a group I am also the same team on each map. Once their is an odd number of maps you will play the opposite team next time through the map order.

However, Scout, which unlocks around Rank 18 or so, I think, makes it so that I'm invisible on their sensors while running. You can level it up during battle, too, provided you do well in a given match. It just gets better and better.

If you're like me and you're not good with aiming quickly, really consider building toward this trait. I can't tell you how many times I've snuck up directly behind three or four enemy soldiers and blasted them all to ribbons. Corridors are the best.

Scout is good as long as you're running on your own or near others using it otherwise having teammates all around you will put you on the radar anyway. I was using it religiously but I've since changed to Bounty Hunter for the random power-ups.

Scout just seemed like a waste as the smaller mode maps are too small to really separate yourself and the bigger maps require you to bunch up for the objective anyway.

B-Dex

That point wasn't really about being locked on across the map, but I won't go further into it. Missile users are a pretty defensive bunch.

Then what do you mean by long range and shortening it's range? Please move the goal posts more.

Klyka

Banned
What I find weird about homing shot is that sometimes it will almost instantly lock on and can be fired and other times it takes a bit to lock and fire.

I actually had some situation where a guy would homing missle me from like 5m away as he rounded a corner.

Maybe lag though? No idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom