• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Battlefield get lumped in with COD so much? Different games imo.

Because modern Battlefield gameplay has cloned CoD. Yeah it has larger maps, play count and vehicles, but the gameplay is now a CoD clone.

---

Anyway, seems pretty shitty if DICE kept a bunch of 1 hit kill bullshit out of the beta. Not bought this yet but not going to if that is what the gameplay has boiled down to.

All I want is a fucking shooter where people don't instantly die.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I feel like the jump pack's cool down should be the grenade's cool down, you can throw 2 grenades before you can jump pack again...that feels wrong considering how 1 of those contributes to only mobility and the other contributes to random 1 hit KOs.

Klyka

Banned
I feel like the jump pack's cool down should be the grenade's cool down, you can throw 2 grenades before you can jump pack again...that feels wrong considering how 1 of those contributes to only mobility and the other contributes to random 1 hit KOs.

Just upgrade them both and you can throw even more grenades! :D

Because modern Battlefield gameplay has cloned CoD. Yeah it has larger maps, play count and vehicles, but the gameplay is now a CoD clone.

---

Anyway, seems pretty shitty if DICE kept a bunch of 1 hit kill bullshit out of the beta. Not bought this yet but not going to if that is what the gameplay has boiled down to.

We need BC2 again. I felt that has been the strongest entry in shooters for a long time. Good SP and amazingly fun MP. I also liked the co-op missions from BF3. It seems every shooter just keeps chipping away at what makes a good shooter a good shooter for the sake of brevity and instant gratification.

Free Radical's leaked footage of Battlefront 3 looked really good, although, hard to say how it would have felt to play. Modern shooter design feels very narrow compared to many entries in the genre before it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Just upgrade them both and you can throw even more grenades! :D

I do have them both upgraded :S

I wish we had more tools in star cards rather than extra weapons, honestly, stuff like the homing shot / barrage / pulse cannon / cycler rifle should have been power ups, because power ups should have been random things that give you immense power.

Mean while the squad shield should have been a star card. Hell even the droids and turrets could have been retooled into being star cards.

MADGAME

I wish there were a metric in the stats that shows how many times a pickup disappears less than a second before you get to it.

MilkyJoe

---

Last week it was epic, now it's a run try to get a few shots off before you die in a number of cheap and frustrating ways. It was great now I'd rate it as shit!

I'm glad to see other people are having the same problems with the game as I am.

Matchmaking is proving a big problem with me - I'm constantly getting thrown into games where I'm on a team of players who have just bought the game and I'm facing off against teams that have a majority of the higher ranked weapons.

Other problems are the constant grenade spams, the one shot kill perk/weapons and the infuriating spawn systems.

It was a pretty enjoyable game when everyone was sort of a similar playing field, but now the higher grade weapons are about it's just made it a bit unfair and frustrating.

Plus the whole cool down times (especially when I've respawned or jumped into a vehicle) are just insane

EDIT: Plus it would every other arsehole is running with the DL-44 - which is bloody annoying when trying to play the close quarter games on Drop Zone

And we've gone back to other games. I run with a group of four and we are all out. Giving my PS4 disk to my brother and calling it. Even though this isn't a Battlefield game this makes me nervous about BF5 after two shitshows in a row with BF4 and Battlefront.

Here's hoping a small studio will pick up the slack these AAA devs keep dropping. I would personally do something on PC/PS4 but my team is far too small to handle a proper MP shooter and we are already eyeballs deep in our PS4 game. If I could hire about 20 more guys I would in a heartbeat but I don't have that kind of money on hand. Man today's landscape for good shooters is nonexistent.

May the force be with you folks sticking it out. For the sake of the Battlefront series I hope enough people stick with it to warrant a return to form if any dev has the balls.

_Legacy_

I'm so glad I didn't purchase the game, seems a fair amount of people are getting frustrated with the spawns and unbalanced issues. I've still got around 5 hours of my EA trail left and will probably play in short periods. I picked up Star Wars Imperial Assault (board game) the other day and that already seems to be much more fun. I hope EA sort these issues out.

B-Dex

The only issues I have are the spawn campers really. Especially if they park an AT-ST and hero there. Also I think heroes should spawn later in supremacy. Like 3 minutes in. Otherwise, Yeah I'll occasionally get hit with a pulse charge or homing shot but it's my fault for being exposed. Grenade spammers can be baited to waste their cards then gg they die.

But TBH I've already clocked 70 hours. And am still having a blast. #NoLife

I'm so glad I didn't purchase the game, seems a fair amount of people are getting frustrated with the spawns and unbalanced issues.
That's how it was during beta, and when the game was launched a lot of people found that it was better. Clearly players are optimizing loadouts per map/mode now and remaining spawn and balancing issues are becoming more and more apparent.

It's definitely playable, but there's a lot of times I feel like I've been the giver and receiver of a cheap kill.

Tuffty

Hehe finally the Blast achievement. Got many times the most kills but the rounds always ended before the 10 min timer.

You're kidding me, that's the requirement for that trophy?! No Blast match lasts 10 mins! The aim of the game is to kill each other as fast as possible! Absolutely stupid.

Ferr986

I had a game the other night where I got killed three times in a row with the homing shot, which just feels cheap. It's frustrating. The limited weapons in the beta really helped it feel like a better playing experience, and more genuine to Star Wars as well, except for the damn cycler rifle. I can agree it's a bit mental now. Frankly I'd like to see a lot of the weapons removed. Just normal guns and one type of grenade and the jump pack. That would be fun for me. Maybe for Walker Assault limit the weapons, but in death match let you use whatever you want?

I always said I could do with much less perks and weapons. Put some of them on the ground and that's it. I'm just content with having a gun to shot things, I dont need card stats and cheap rechargable weapons.

For all I care they could remove all of the cards but I know I'm like the only one.

EDIT: That being said, I think the game is A LOT of fun and Im still playing it (although The Old Hunters is taking a lot of my time right now). It's just incredibly unbalanced. Needs a patch ASAP.

Jinaar

I was gifted this game the other day and after a full 3 hrs last night of it, it sure is a poor DICE game for balance and how cheap dying feels.

What was totally apparent in all games I played: 1-4 people would be in the top of the K/D stratosphere with ridiculous K/D stats like 50/10 or 36/4.

95% of the time I ran into these players, usually it took 2 shots from whatever they were using to down me, sometimes one. Even if I got the one up with them with a grenade first and then shooting, I would lose. My K/D right now is 0.75% and win matches is 11%. And I'm going to go out on a limb to say I am an above average gamer, and this is just wacked. I go for headshots exclusively as much as I can and hardly rewarded for it. I tested tap firing with the Mouse to holding it down and both yielded sub par results.

Obviously, I don't have many weapons or cards to use compared to those that have been playing since day one, but regardless, when I am pretty close to my opponent, I have the one up on them and I am taking headshots only to see a few magically not connect (classic stormtropper syndrome) and then get felled in return, feels like ass. Ass. Unflattering ass.

I played a lot of Walker Assault and pretty much insta-died on many of those maps from enemies I can't see where they are shooting me from 1 mile away. Again, once I get use to the maps, may be it will get better but it still seems to be a giant cluster f**k with people just running like lemmings this way and that.

There is definitely a way to play this game, with more patience it seems (Less sprinting) and more waiting to camp the target down and win.

At this moment, it's an average game with problems that need to be addressed. I'll keep playing but HALO 5 as it is my bread and butter today and will get more play time in comparison. I will give this game more time to grow, but it needs balancing and something else added that I can't put my finger on. It ain't no Plants VS Zombies GW. :)

The only issues I have are the spawn campers really. Especially if they park an AT-ST and hero there. Also I think heroes should spawn later in supremacy. Like 3 minutes in. Otherwise, Yeah I'll occasionally get hit with a pulse charge or homing shot but it's my fault for being exposed. Grenade spammers can be baited to waste their cards then gg they die.

But TBH I've already clocked 70 hours. And am still having a blast. #NoLife

70 hours?

SWEET BABY JESUS

Just when I thought the game couldn't look any better I changed the resolution scale from 100% to 200%, it's insane. How they made a game that looks this good and still gets amazing performance is beyond me.

I'm so glad I didn't purchase the game, seems a fair amount of people are getting frustrated with the spawns and unbalanced issues. I've still got around 5 hours of my EA trail left and will probably play in short periods. I picked up Star Wars Imperial Assault (board game) the other day and that already seems to be much more fun. I hope EA sort these issues out.

I am the same. I play like 30 mins once a week and its great. I might be able to drag it out until its free at this rate :) good old EA access.

Game is fun in short bursts for me, but doesn't have any weight or Long term playing appeal. I can't play it for hours, like halo or CS GO.

Hikami

Has anyone gotten the 'Ackbar's Elite' trophy? (Complete a Survival mission on Master difficulty without dying.)
Wondering what the best mission for that would be.

ryanofcall

I ride the train a lot, that's why.
I got quite an amount of credits out of it actually, but there were just too many levels based on pure luck.
TJTK0Lo.png

I've recently discoved one of the best card combinations. It's Jump Pack + Bowcaster. The Bowcaster produces some very easy 1 hit kills when you use it right.

My methed is use the radar to locate a nearby enemy. First I start charging the bow, then I Jump Pack in the direction of the enemy. You should have enough time to see the enemy from the air. If you aim for the feet and shoot your bow with 5 bolts then it's usually a guaranteed kill. You can even shoot from quite high up and it's still a 1 hit kill.

I find it's a very fun change of pace as well.

I've recently discoved one of the best card combinations. It's Jump Pack + Bowcaster. The Bowcaster produces some very easy 1 hit kills when you use it right.

My methed is use the radar to locate a nearby enemy. First I start charging the bow, then I Jump Pack in the direction of the enemy. You should have enough time to see the enemy from the air. If you aim for the feet and shoot your bow with 5 bolts then it's usually a guaranteed kill. You can even shoot from quite high up and it's still a 1 hit kill.

I find it's a very fun change of pace as well.
There's plenty of other weapons that are one hit kills that don't require a charge and don't require a jump pack which leaves you vulnerable and open to homing shots in order to use cheese effectively.

Then use them from across the map.

Syncytia

I had a game the other night where I got killed three times in a row with the homing shot, which just feels cheap. It's frustrating. The limited weapons in the beta really helped it feel like a better playing experience, and more genuine to Star Wars as well, except for the damn cycler rifle. I can agree it's a bit mental now. Frankly I'd like to see a lot of the weapons removed. Just normal guns and one type of grenade and the jump pack. That would be fun for me. Maybe for Walker Assault limit the weapons, but in death match let you use whatever you want?

Agree. Beta was great, but turns out a lot of the weapons you unlock are pretty poorly balanced. I get killed by 2 or 3 different weapons and that's it. Right now I'm just in a boring slog that is no fun just leveling up to get weapon that will hopefully put me on a more even playing field. I thought this was going to be a great jump and play no stress game but it's mostly just frustration.

Also I think the huge disparity of K/D between players will kill this game faster than anything else. Every game has 2 top players per team just absolutely wrecking with like 5 or 6 K/D ratios with pretty much everyone else at -2 or worse. It just isn't fun when you're dying all the time, especially when you feel helpless to do anything about it.

More people should use smoke grenades. You can toss one when there's a stalemate and jet pack over the enemy lines, then hit 'em from behind

There's plenty of other weapons that are one hit kills that don't require a charge and don't require a jump pack which leaves you vulnerable and open to homing shots in order to use cheese effectively.

Then use them from across the map.
Well, it's at least made the game a lot more fun for me today...

Dubz

And we've gone back to other games. I run with a group of four and we are all out. Giving my PS4 disk to my brother and calling it. Even though this isn't a Battlefield game this makes me nervous about BF5 after two shitshows in a row with BF4 and Battlefront
Battlefield 4 is amazing though.

MADGAME

I for the life of me can not get a win in Hero Hunt. Best I had was second place and lost by 2 kills. Tempted to get a party of 8 going and boost a win for everyone.

Was having a lot of fun on this until now. After a week everyone has the dl44 and now the game is an unplayable mess.

It only took a week but now the game is in familiar DICE territory.

Jinaar

Also I think the huge disparity of K/D between players will kill this game faster than anything else. Every game has 2 top players per team just absolutely wrecking with like 5 or 6 K/D ratios with pretty much everyone else at -2 or worse. It just isn't fun when you're dying all the time, especially when you feel helpless to do anything about it.

That was my experience last night. 1-2 people on the opposition just wrecking shit. What was that guys name last night, SifSafer or something, his best was around 50/8 or something (next person on the team had 12 or so kills), and he was just murdering people with everything, even in crazy situations he would melee in a terrible situation and get out of it with a kill or two. (was playing Blast mode)

It was like watching that scene from Band of Brothers with Lt Speirs, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76XTG6dFgx0 , but with a lot more dead opponents being shot down during the run.

I just can't understand how indestructible/unkillable he was. And the other turkeys in the other modes. So frustrating.

EDIT: Just so you know, I do think the graphics are pretty great. Playing on Ultra and I'm still hitting 60+ FPS without issue. So this game is great eye candy. :)

WA has three "rounds" each with two stages. The first stage is when the rebels need to activate the uplink stages. After you turn one on a red bar will start to fill the icon and when it's done your team gets a Y-wing.

The Y-wings are used in stage two where they come in and attack the walkers making them vulnerable. Each Y-wing gives you around 10-15 seconds of vulnerability.

Also the Empire can shoot down Y-wings to decrease the attack time and you even get an achievement for doing it.
Thank You!
I'm giddy while playing this game. Of course I only play one mode but I feel it's the same as PvZ Garden Warfare for me where there's nothing getting my rage flowing. That could change but I'm enjoying it win or lose. Not many games like this for me.

The balance is pretty ugly atm. DL44 just needs the rate of fire nerfed, actually punish people for missing their shots. I haven't been seeing that many Homing Shot anymore, but that's probably because everyone is using Barrage now. Other things that need to be looked at are the A-wings and MF, but yeah the list is pretty long. Hopefully they release a balance patch with Jakku in a few days.

wbarreda

This game suffers from way too many problems to be fun consistently. The spawns are horrible and now people know where the spawns are and are starting to camp them. You don’t get enough points for playing the objectives; I had 8 point caps/defense and was middle of the pack on points. Don’t know why they didn’t bring over the assist = kill when you do over 80% of damage. That was one of the best things that BF4 did. Also, just like in BF4, if you don’t have a good pilot on your side to bring down the other team’s pilot than you are in for a long match of non-stop A-wing strafing runs; had a lot of matches the last couple of days where A-wing pilots had ungodly high kdr like 50-2.

I play mostly from medium to long ranges so the DL-44 hasn't been a bane for me yet, though it really does need a ROF and range nerf. Make it 2 shots only within 15 meters or something, I think it's 20 meters now.

prag16

Banned
They really need to fix the matchmaking. Had a few lobbies in a row in which my team was getting absolutely slaughtered. I am pretty average, and was bets on my team, while the other team had at least 3-4 dynamos with monster KDRs. And they never ever change teams up between matches. So lame.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Maybe it's just me, but this game is perfect for pickup and play. Sort of getting BC2 vibes with the fast play and exaggerated physics, which IMO is a good thing. This comes from a BF2 purist who hated the idea of BF becoming dumbed down for BC2 (now it stands as one of my favs).

It isn't even a stereotype to suggest these fuckers have come over from the likes of COD and Battlefield and brought their bullshit with them.

Well I am one of those fuckers who came over from cod. And yes it's like taking candy from a baby. I struggle in cod and this game is great for stress relief.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My loadout:

-EE-3 (burst rifle)
-explosive shot (card)
-pulse cannon (card)
-homing shot (card)
-scout (trait)

That pretty much gives you a constant barrage of one shot kills. Also it's all about powerup pickups. A-wing for total air&land domination and AT-AT for a fuckton of free kills. It's absolutely crazy how many you can kill with it lol
Also Boba Fett is beast !

I agree however those players are fucking annoying. Especially when they are on my side and are stealling my powerups. Fuck em.

Hey peeps I made a quick mashup video of Battlefront game play with no hud with The Force Awakens trailer music if anyone is interested in giving it a watch. I had fun making it either way!

Unfortunately when SHAREplay generated the video the music went out of sync by 1 second so you can tell certain moments were meant to be accompanied by parts of the track. I cba to fix it as I want to get back to playing the game but I'll link it anyway haha!

https://youtu.be/MTx6wpaICe4

Yeah I'm going to join the GAF community so I can party up with some people. I refuse to play Walker Assault again with uncoordinated randoms

B-Dex

Yeah I'm going to join the GAF community so I can party up with some people. I refuse to play Walker Assault again with uncoordinated randoms

I thoroughly enjoy watching my team mindlessly run into the same bunker entry choke point being spammed by barrage, impact grenades, detonators and blaster fire over and over again. Packs of 8 people or more just getting mowed down. Hilarious really.

Beefy

Is it just me or are the servers really bad atm? I keep getting a message saying the connection to the server is bad. When I play it lags/jumps so badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom