• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballerusk

Really contemplating whether or not to buy this. Would really like a singleplayer-option ... and more "in the air"-stuff (like Rogue Squadron), but I guess that is just a small portion of this. Also, what is left of the game the day they turn off servers? And aren't DICE/EA notorious for day1-problems (bugs, server problems)?

But then again, I'm a sucker for most things Star Wars.

Those little jobs/missions you can do (Capture 4 Pods, Kill 5 Heroes, etc.) are a great way to level quickly, too. Get you to try the different modes.

EDIT: I'm third person just because it's a huge advantage over first person, for the most part. Occasionally you get a misaligned shot.

Really contemplating whether or not to buy this. Would really like a singleplayer-option ... and more "in the air"-stuff (like Rogue Squadron), but I guess that is just a small portion of this. Also, what is left of the game the day they turn off servers? And aren't DICE/EA notorious for day1-problems (bugs, server problems)?

But then again, I'm a sucker for most things Star Wars.

1. I think EA learned from the BF4 fiasco. This has likely had a lot of time to incubate.

2. There will be a day when the servers shut down, but the PS5/Xbox Two will likely have been out for a few years by then.

3. There will definitely be space/air battles in the future, I'd be amazed if not.

a916

Is IGN's review in progress really complaining about TDM in a shooter? It's a shooter... if they DIDN'T have a TDM mode, you'd wonder. Not ever game mode needs a schtick.

And Blast is such a basic team deathmatch that I wonder why they even bothered.

I soured on the beta after a few hours. Some balance issues kind of irked me, but the moment to moment gameplay wasn't so bad.

Sony is refunding one of my purchases, and there is nothing coming up that I want to buy (Just Cause 3 is a PC only option for me) on the storefront, so this is looking like a decent option so long as these things are done correctly.

1. Do the bot matches contain editable options? Types of weapons, round time, etc? I know stuff doesn't transfer, but if some options are available, it's not so bad to spend some time with.

2. Did they fix the balance of the beta? ATATs have weakpoints, and that's cool, but how does it feel compared to the beta? I'm not looking to get super serious, at least not as much as I thought I would, so I'm game if the matches aren't just outright broken.

3. How are you dealing with the lack of communication?

4. Overall, as a game and divorced of the SW name, do you enjoy it? It's difficult to do since it's so ingrained, but if it can stand on its own, I could see myself playing it for a while.

so wtf, you just get a lock-on and your missiles and lasers just home in?

There is a slight auto aim (which I think the auto-aim area is larger for Hero vehicles) where yes, your lazers will adjust to where your target is so you dont have to be 100% accurate. Missiles require you to hold a lock for a few seconds before they will track the target. Even with a solid lock though they were pretty easy to scrub in the beta.

MiguelItUp

This OT is amazing, kudos it looks incredible! I took three days off next week to completely absorb this game (as well as more FO4 and BO3) and I can't wait to do so. The majority I've read are saying positive things which doesn't surprise me. I'm still shocked at how amazing the game looks and sounds.

MADGAME

Questions:
How are the hero pickups handled in Fighter Squadron. In other words, how do you play as Falcon/Slave I?

Is there a playlist that rotates game types or do you have to back out and choose another type each time you want to switch?

I'm actually really disappointed that customization is so vanilla. A lot of different faces, but little to no variation in the actual armor/clothes you're wearing, except for the TWO Scout and Shadow trooper unlocks.

Bsigg12

I'm actually really disappointed that customization is so vanilla. A lot of different faces, but little to no variation in the actual armor/clothes you're wearing, except for the TWO Scout and Shadow trooper unlocks.

Which aren't unlocked until levels 45 and 50 right?

2. There will be a day when the servers shut down, but the PS5/Xbox Two will likely have been out for a few years by then.

EA will probably shut the servers down after 2 years or so. Why bother when Battlefront 2 will be out already.

And anyways, online shooters need to be played as seasonal products. Pay 60$, play it for a year. You've gotten your moneys worth by then when the sequel comes out.

MADGAME

And anyways, online shooters need to be played as seasonal products. Pay 60$, play it for a year. You've gotten your moneys worth by then when the sequel comes out.
Thank you for deciding when we should stop playing the games we paid for, and should no longer continue to enjoy!

I like the change to the heroes lasting longer(I think I heard that right in one of the videos) rather than having them for a limited time

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
EA will probably shut the servers down after 2 years or so. Why bother when Battlefront 2 will be out already.

EA's actually usually good about keeping servers online.

Bsigg12

Well this just happened

qgp9Dp2.jpg

5taquitos

They still haven't shut down Battlefield 3, so I don't think this is something that needs to be worried about.

ElNino

He's saying that everyone is going to have used up their 10 hour preview by today, so no one will be able to play until launch.
I doubt that everyone who wants to try the game are doing so right away, nor will everyone burn through the 10 hours that quickly. I'm sure there will be plenty of people playing until it officially launches.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
So the 10-hour preview is all you get during that week of early access in EA Access? I thought you got that free time but you could also buy and play a week early too.

gossi

I doubt that everyone who wants to try the game are doing so right away, nor will everyone burn through the 10 hours that quickly. I'm sure there will be plenty of people playing until it officially launches.

I played for 5 hours today, then burnt out. I'll return later. There will be plenty of people playing through to launch.

You can also cheese the 10 hour limit easily enough.

5taquitos

Oh I know, I was just translating. I'm sure there will be plenty of early access players all the way until launch, especially over the weekend.

Bsigg12

I played for 5 hours today, then burnt out. I'll return later. There will be plenty of people playing through to launch.

You can also cheese the 10 hour limit easily enough.

Yea. If you really wanted to keep playing, as long as an account on your Xbox has an active EA Access account, you can use that time to keep playing, even if you use all your time.

GravyButt

Only had about a half hour of time to play so I played some drop zone or drop pod whatever its called. Loved the few maps I played on. Really had a fun time. Was a nice slow change of pace compared to blops 3. My aiming was actually decent too! Will dive deeper tomorrow when I get some time but need to make this 10 hours last!

Oh, and man does that lmg that you could use in the beta destroy you at cqc. My goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom