• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

adj_noun

For some reason I find the TIEs in the tutorial to be more difficult to shoot down than the AI or non-A-Wing player ships in Fighter Squadron. I keep trying for that kill 10 in two minutes achievement and never seem to manage it.

As an aside, getting into an A-Wing in WA is basically god mode. Those poor Imperials spawning in to face us had no chance in hell.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Saw this in EA's Star Wars twitter account:

Q: "Will we get clone wars in 2016?"

A: "Our team is focusing on the original trilogy for this release of Star Wars Battlefront."

So no TFA then?
"Focus" does not mean "Contains nothing from" since we already have Jakku. TFA is obviously much closer to the original trilogy due to the persistence of Empire vs Rebels. There may be some new troops and vehicles, but it isn't an entirely different galactic structure and battle dynamic like the prequel trilogy. We'll likely see more TFA stuff in SP content, we just aren't about to see a bunch of Naboo and Genosis stuff.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
"Focus" does not mean "Contains nothing from" since we already have Jakku. TFA is obviously much closer to the original trilogy due to the persistence of Empire vs Rebels. There may be some new troops and vehicles, but it isn't an entirely different galactic structure and battle dynamic like the prequel trilogy. We'll likely see more TFA stuff in SP content, we just aren't about to see a bunch of Naboo and Genosis stuff.

Jakku is only like a year after Endor though, that's 29 years from Force Awakens, I don't think we know if the battle is even in the film besides the aftermath on the planet so many years later. I'm not sure if it's worrying that they are concentrating on one era of films and still managed to miss so much, or that they are going to ignore the other 60 years of lore on either side of the original trilogy and miss even more stuff they could add. Couldn't even get space battles in....still bitter about that.

MDave

Has anyone looked straight up in the sky to see the thousands of lasers and fighters on Jakku? It's insane. I want to be part of that! In space!

Dice

Jakku is only like a year after Endor though, that's 29 years from Force Awakens, I don't think we know if the battle is even in the film besides the aftermath on the planet so many years later. I'm not sure if it's worrying that they are concentrating on one era of films and still managed to miss so much, or that they are going to ignore the other 60 years of lore on either side of the original trilogy and miss even more stuff they could add. Couldn't even get space battles in....still bitter about that.
Well, like I said, Prequel Trilogy/Clone Wars stuff is a massive amount of content. If they wanted to do a reboot like this, they have a lot of Original Trilogy fans to please. Lack of space battles is a failing in that regard, but overall I think what they have done in making the new processes to develop the areas and give a very true-feeling representation is quite stellar. Since the fanbase is in many ways divided, it makes sense to me to separate content per release between trilogies rather than pick and choose bits from everything.

That said, does it make more sense to focus on TFA content for this first of the reboot? Well, no. And there are a few factors involved.
First, it seems unlikely that Disney would be giving full content access to them to even do that, so that is quite a barrier.
Second, it would mean delaying the game release to come only after the movie, so it isn't spoiling content from the movie. Possible, sure, but money rules all and I'm not sure what their schedules are looking like.
Third, the industry has been constantly growing and new children start gaming after they are born, which is a part of why we get this reboot, not just to please longtime fans of Battlefront. Reestablishing the franchise mindshare on present platforms and their playerbases is key to maximizing profits off the new trilogy.
Fourth, the new trilogy is indeed a trilogy, so that means more content later, content that isn't made or unclassified yet, as well as renewed hype later. TFA isn't their one chance to capitalize on the new trilogy.
Fifth, as I explained earlier, development is different these days, rolling out installments of a franchise more quickly and responsively to player feedback. Mindshare is also different these days, using hooks in the present installments and subscription services to maximize following installments. So with this in mind, they'd be using this one (and maybe Prequel Trilogy/Clone Wars between) to learn how to make the TFA installment as best as it can be, and to plant seeds in the playerbase to harvest in sales with it later.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Lukewarm reception to this installment isn't the death or the waste of the franchise reboot, but instead it will be converted into promises of improvements in the next that they actually will deliver on. It will likely ramp up through a trilogy itself for this reboot, culminating in a Sequel Trilogy focused release of the highest quality and biggest fanbase/hype levels parallel to the third film in 2019 either as a tech-limit-pushing late-gen product or as a cross-gen title depending on hardware cycle timing.

I'm 1,596 kills down and no homing shot kills yet. I still haven't bought it lol.

Top weapons:
EE-3 - 312
DH-17 - 249
DL-44 - 178
E-11 - 156

Yeah, the Battle of Jakku is 29 or so years before the film. It's just the aftermath we'll see in the film.

adj_noun

Has anyone looked straight up in the sky to see the thousands of lasers and fighters on Jakku? It's insane. I want to be part of that! In space!

*flies straight at epic space fight*

*leaves combat zone*

*Mission Commander: There's nothing there!*

:(

Codiox

Had a little break of the game because of just cause 3 and bloodborne, but now Im back. Still loving it. Can't wait for the movie next week.

I'm 1,596 kills down and no homing shot kills yet. I still haven't bought it lol.

Top weapons:
EE-3 - 312
DH-17 - 249
DL-44 - 178
E-11 - 156

Yeah, the Battle of Jakku is 29 or so years before the film. It's just the aftermath we'll see in the film.

My top weapons:

DL-44: 1200 kills
A280: 478 kills

lmao

sorry

LoveCake

Level 40 at last :D I want to get to level 50 before xmas as I want the Shadow Trooper & Twi'lek, but it is now 64,000 to level up & I would think that from level 45 the amount goes up again, maybe 75,000 as up-to level 40 it was 54,000.

622zTBR.jpg

hxNymph.jpg

I have been playing Walker Assault 99% of the time since release, I have played DropZone & Cargo & also Hero's & Villains, but I am wondering what 'mode' is the best to play for an average player to level up the fastest/quickest, I am useless at the flying though :(

HowZatOZ

Banned
Ah you again...

Not all of Dice are on vacation. And srsly grant DICE some time. Getting this done in 2 years was probably very stressful.

And we will probably only see one more patch this months. More stuff will happen next year.
By the the time the summer comes around, Battlefront will probably play very different.
And most likely be dead on at least PC. Can't bring out a multiplayer game these days without at least acknowledging the issues it faces.

I haven't got the game yet but I do hope fixes start coming through that help bring back the community so when I do pick it up in January it won't be truly dead on PC.

DJ Gunner

Level 40 at last :D I want to get to level 50 before xmas as I want the Shadow Trooper & Twi'lek, but it is now 64,000 to level up & I would think that from level 45 the amount goes up again, maybe 75,000 as up-to level 40 it was 54,000.

35-40 is 59,000, could be 30-40 but I honestly didn't pay attention before that.

Top weapons:
EE-3 - 312
DH-17 - 249
DL-44 - 178
E-11 - 156

The EE3 life.

Top weapons:

EE3 - 8989
E-11 - 1753
A280C - 1427

Top game modes:

Supremacy: 373
Turning Point: 82
Walker Assault: 29

Top Star Cards:

Thermal Detonator: 942
Barrage: 758
Pulse Cannon: 272

Dice

I had some pretty uneven games yesterday. For like a dozen games WA was just stomping the other team. Either as Rebels or Empire, or if I was the winning or losing team. The walkers either smashed through relatively unscathed or got obliterated only halfway down. One time I got in the AT-AT on Jakku and killed SO MANY PEOPLE. It was ridiculous, like 15-20 people, and even a freshly spawned Luke. I tried DZ and that was close, but really boring.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Had one of my best runs on Rogue, I mean Fighter Squadron last night. Kept leading or was in the not 2-3 all night. Finally got my 10 kills trophy with 16 player ships on one map. Got the trophy for defeated Slave 1 with an X-Wing no less as well, lol. Also went from level 27-32.

Time for some Supremacy or Heroes vs. Villains later today.

Klyka

Banned
Just played a round again after not having done so for a week.

I see the spawns (in this case on Sullust) are still very good and professionally placed over the map by a skilled team of designers.

Dice

The "Battles" AI mode becomes absolute dog shit because every single one of the enemy can pick up tokens for their team but only you pick up tokens for yours. I managed to get all the medals with Leia because of her shield & deploy but when you're just soldiers with no protection there is very little you can do at the end. It becomes so heavy on the waves that even if you clear 15 dudes in a small space, when going over to pick up the tokens you get shot from another direction by the other wave and die. Plus they all have cycle rifles, sniper rifles, and homing missiles, so there is no way to beat them in the open at all. You can only pray to find enough of a corner you can hide behind and kill them fast enough to keep them away while also pausing to charge shields as you need to. Even so, I think I could still hang with it, and just be really patient and pick my moment to go after tokens, but it can't be that way because of your moron AI partners who run out and get killed, providing the enemy with a consistent stream of tokens.

Because of that it goes beyond just a challenge and falls into "stacked against you beyond what is dependent upon you" not-fun. Won't be playing that mode at all. I hope no unlocks are trapped behind it aside from the credits.

Ambitious

Regarding the star card menu: There's no reason to require players to press X/A to select the menu item on the left sides (cards, hand, 2nd hand, trait). Selecting one with the left stick or the D-Pad should immediately switch to that menu.

I was about to bring up the same point for browsing the hands, but then I realized you can use the bumpers of your controller to go left and right. That's good.

Speaking of the hands, I don't see why the three cards of the selected preset need to be so big. It's a waste of screen space. This space could be used to display all your other hands so you know where exactly you are in your preset list. They could either display a horizontal list of thumbnails at the bottom of a screen or just use a grid, like in the card menu.

I would appreciate being able to reorder my presets, too.

Palpable

So I assume at some point if they were clever were going to get some more customisation options at some point as part of the season pass or separate dlc. The Stormtrooper head options just being the rebel ones are lame and lazy, there's so many different arnour options they could have gone for, there's four different basic version of the armour they could have gone with from the Clone Wars to Force Awakens, then all the variations on those. Even if they ignored the prequels there's still a ton of options they could go with instead of some lame ass heads.

The fact that they even allow us to choose helmetless stormtroopers is absolutely stupid. They should keep the helmets on and only let us choose uniform variations (that fit the maps). The rebel alien species, like the Rodian, Duros, Zabrak, or Twi'lek should be far more customizable. We should be able to choose gender and skin colors for them. We already know Twi'lek's and Rodians can be different colors, so why limit us to a blue female? Also, only one skin for each hero is dumb. Luke, Leia, and Han should have certain uniforms for certain planets (like in the movies).

Klocker

The fact that they even allow us to choose helmetless stormtroopers is absolutely stupid. They should keep the helmets on and only let us choose uniform variations (that fit the maps). The rebel alien species, like the Rodian, Duros, Zabrak, or Twi'lek should be far more customizable. We should be able to choose gender and skin colors for them. We already know Twi'lek's and Rodians can be different colors, so why limit us to a blue female? Also, only one skin for each hero is dumb. Luke, Leia, and Han should have certain uniforms for certain planets (like in the movies).

Yea helmetless trooper is stupid

Toa TAK

Banned
Yes to this post.

The customization options in general are pretty lame. Emotes are cool and all, but that time should've been put towards more Rebel and Stormtrooper options. Especially coming off of the last two Battlefront games where variety among the soldiers on all factions were aplenty.

Also, helmetless Stromtroopers kinda kill the iconography of the troopers.

Ferr986

Had one of my best runs on Rogue, I mean Fighter Squadron last night. Kept leading or was in the not 2-3 all night. Finally got my 10 kills trophy with 16 player ships on one map. Got the trophy for defeated Slave 1 with an X-Wing no less as well, lol. Also went from level 27-32.

Time for some Supremacy or Heroes vs. Villains later today.

Using X-Wings on Fighter Squadron. My man.

BizzyBum

Does flight combat supposed to have floaty aiming, at least compared to the ground game? I guess I just have to get used to it.

Yo Gaf.

Between TFA hype and really wanting a game where I can just mindlessly shoot some stuff online I went against my better judgement and grabbed this game for $50. I've heard all the bad stuff about it, but hey it's Star Wars.

While waiting for it to download I watched the Angry Joe review, Yeesh. Not exactly glowing. So my question is, how are you guys enjoying it? Worth the money? How's the player base? Basically quell the negativity, or add fire to it. Give me your opinions. Money blown? Or can I at least have some fun as my Star Wars hype is at maximum over the next month or so?

And any chance at some TFA maps, guns, characters, etc. later on? Thanks!

Yo Gaf.

Between TFA hype and really wanting a game where I can just mindlessly shoot some stuff online I went against my better judgement and grabbed this game for $50. I've heard all the bad stuff about it, but hey it's Star Wars.

While waiting for it to download I watched the Angry Joe review, Yeesh. Not exactly glowing. So my question is, how are you guys enjoying it? Worth the money? How's the player base? Basically quell the negativity, or add fire to it. Give me your opinions. Money blown? Or can I at least have some fun as my Star Wars hype is at maximum over the next month or so?

And any chance at some TFA maps, guns, characters, etc. later on? Thanks!

I've been having a ton of fun with it. If you're looking for a fun arcade shooter with a Star Wars skin this is great for you. You'll definitely get your Star Wars fix from it. Also they just released free DLC with Jakku from TFA so definitely download that!

Dice

If you want a casual shooter that is fun Star Wars stuff, that is what it is. Yeah, things can be unbalanced. Yeah, some unlocks are seriously ridiculously advantageous. Yeah, you'll get quite a range on player skill. But is it fun? Yeah. Go in expecting some bullshit and it's pretty cool, kinda like Mario Kart.

Nice avatar. Love Phasma's design.

Reached lv. 33.
90% of my playtime was in poddrop and blast. I like the smaller modes better.

Still can't get over how good this game looks, especially Endor moon. I often get killed because I gaze at textures or something.

I hope Visceral uses the same engine and assets for their single player Star Wars game. How good would a single player game at 30FPS look? Can't even imagine.

MDave

This is my most played online competitive game (in the sense that you fight against teams of other players) with just over 30 in-game hours on the clock (level 31). I tend to avoid the harsh nature of multiplayer competitive play. But this game is keeping me playing because its so fun and such a spectacle to my eyes and ears.

And I am primarily a single player gamer.

This game will surpass the hours I put into Alien: Isolation and MGR and I have put over 40 hours each in them.

These are probably small numbers compared to others, but at 31 and playing games since the NES days, this is alot for me!

Coolluck

I think I'm only 15 or so hours into this game and I dread leveling up since I'm pretty sure I'm only doing so well because I'm often pitted against babies. And 15 hours in, I'm definitely not burned out on any maps. I don't really play Walker Assault though because it feels like a complete toss-up for me and I put around 6 hours into Hoth during the beta so I'm not in any rush to jump back into that.

dancmc

Reached lv. 33.
90% of my playtime was in poddrop and blast. I like the smaller modes better.

Still can't get over how good this game looks, especially Endor moon. I often get killed because I gaze at textures or something.

I hope Visceral uses the same engine and assets for their single player Star Wars game. How good would a single player game at 30FPS look? Can't even imagine.

I like the smaller modes better. I feel like there is a little more room/time to think about how to approach a firefight.

I wish there were cooler character skins to unlock earlier in the game. Hate waiting until level 40 and 50.

I've been playing more this weekend because I hit a wall in Fallout 4 where I don't want to do anything else until a broken faction quest is patched.

Got to level 32 with 21 hours played. 1.84 KDR, 75% Win Ratio.

DH-17 : 2
DL-44 : 210
SE-14C : 0
A280C : 7
E-11 : 835
EE-3 : 472
DLT-19 : 0
RT-97C : 17
T-21 : 219
CA-87 : 0
T-21B : 21

Most played mode is Supremacy at 48 wins. Second most is tied with Drop Zone and Turning Point at 11 wins.

Dice

Man, this game does have some maddening progression processes, though. Aside from fighting people with major weapon advantages, I simply do not want to play on Sullust without a jetpack. It really, really, really sucks. Then I was just playing Blast and had two very difficult games because of... visual learning curve? One because it was on Endor vs rebels who have perfect camo (while we were bright white) so I would often die and then see them come out of the green mass, then another on the Hoth hangar which was difficult because Stormtroopers without helmets on look a LOT like rebels in their Hoth gear. The little red outline would only exist if my cursor was on them, so my slight hesitation just figuring out what they were often killed me. Same thing for Endor, I guess, since I won't see them camo in the bushes because of that outline unless my cursor happens across them.

We did have a draw on Sullust. That was pretty crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom