• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why is it that whenever I try Turning Point I get stuck in a permanent load screen and have to force close the game? I have rebooted the console, put it in rest and out of rest, uninstalled the game and DLC and reinstalled it, and I cannot fucking play this shit. What the FUCK

I cannot play on Jakku

No Love

Banned
Man, this game does have some maddening progression processes, though. Aside from fighting people with major weapon advantages, I simply do not want to play on Sullust without a jetpack. It really, really, really sucks. Then I was just playing Blast and had two very difficult games because of... visual learning curve? One because it was on Endor vs rebels who have perfect camo (while we were bright white) so I would often die and then see them come out of the green mass, then another on the Hoth hangar which was difficult because Stormtroopers without helmets on look a LOT like rebels in their Hoth gear. The little red outline would only exist if my cursor was on them, so my slight hesitation just figuring out what they were often killed me. Same thing for Endor, I guess, since I won't see them camo in the bushes because of that outline unless my cursor happens across them.

We did have a draw on Sullust. That was pretty crazy.

The color coordination/camo really needs a tweak. Imperials are so damn obvious on some maps.

BokehKing

Banned
Game has been out for a month and I only realized now that I have to hold down R2 to charge that sniper shot

Also unlocked that scope less long range rifle

My god, those two things are game changers for me on turning point and I'm suddenly in the top 3 on leader boards

Palpable

Game has been out for a month and I only realized now that I have to hold down R2 to charge that sniper shot

Also unlocked that scope less long range rifle

My god, those two things are game changers for me on turning point and I'm suddenly in the top 3 on leader boards

image.php

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wish this had the kill cam replay from their perspective. In a game this chaotic it's very useful for learning the maps and your play weaknesses in them.

Ganhyun

been playing. I enjoy the game.

my thoughts:

Imperial ships on fighter squadron suck ass. Rebel ships basically own.

Been finding more and more afk/camp and only pulse rifle shoot players. Makes it hard to play supremacy when its basically 20 on 12 as 6-8 of your team are afk or just camping as far back as they can and pulse shotting.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It is not like they are holding the DL-44 to anyone's head to use it.

I don't use it, well, I have 8 kills, I'm just not a fan of it. But like many things in many games you either get killed by something that is broken or end up using it to try and level the playing field. I don't use it but I don't journey much into close range modes because of it and other abilities that I just don't understand why they even exist. Personally I don't think anything that can kill you that isn't a pin point direct headshot should exist, and even then it should be sniper rifle like classes of guns, these homing shots and such can go jump off a cliff for all I care.

The fact that they even allow us to choose helmetless stormtroopers is absolutely stupid. They should keep the helmets on and only let us choose uniform variations (that fit the maps). The rebel alien species, like the Rodian, Duros, Zabrak, or Twi'lek should be far more customizable. We should be able to choose gender and skin colors for them. We already know Twi'lek's and Rodians can be different colors, so why limit us to a blue female? Also, only one skin for each hero is dumb. Luke, Leia, and Han should have certain uniforms for certain planets (like in the movies).

Exactly, there shouldn't be any Stormtroopers without helmets simple as that, it was just lazy on their part. I don't really know why we can't choose the other trooper types, it's nice having certain skins for certain planets but if they aren't going to put the same work into heroes why not just let me run around Endor as a snow or sand trooper.

Apeboy

been playing. I enjoy the game.

my thoughts:

Imperial ships on fighter squadron suck ass. Rebel ships basically own.

Been finding more and more afk/camp and only pulse rifle shoot players. Makes it hard to play supremacy when its basically 20 on 12 as 6-8 of your team are afk or just camping as far back as they can and pulse shotting.

It's like dice is scared of the madskillz sniper crowd. Battlefront is the first game they made though that isn't all 360 degree vulnerability all the time but they just can't seem to make a game/map that doesn't cater to them.

BizzyBum

Is there a button to press to do aerial manuevers?

I feel Air Supremacy is sorta pointless. As soon as someone locks onto me I have little to no chance to shake them off. It seems more as a tutorial to practice flying. lol

Ganhyun

Is there a button to press to do aerial manuevers?

I feel Air Supremacy is sorta pointless. As soon as someone locks onto me I have little to no chance to shake them off. It seems more as a tutorial to practice flying. lol

the dpad (except for down?) does a brief maneuver and is on a cooldown once you do. Some people are just god tier with those things.

It's like dice is scared of the madskillz sniper crowd. Battlefront is the first game they made though that isn't all 360 degree vulnerability all the time but they just can't seem to make a game/map that doesn't cater to them.

Its just annoying because it basically hands the game to whichever team has the fewest of these.

edit: another thought: heavy blasters suck ass because every other blaster outdoes them with ease.

Vard

Reminder for those playing on PS4 who want to play with fellow GAFfers to search for and join the PS4 community called BattlefrontGAF. Playing with a team including GAFfers > playing with a team completely made up of randoms.

Dr Prob

Banned
Then I was just playing Blast and had two very difficult games because of... visual learning curve? One because it was on Endor vs rebels who have perfect camo (while we were bright white) so I would often die and then see them come out of the green mass, then another on the Hoth hangar which was difficult because Stormtroopers without helmets on look a LOT like rebels in their Hoth gear. The little red outline would only exist if my cursor was on them, so my slight hesitation just figuring out what they were often killed me. Same thing for Endor, I guess, since I won't see them camo in the bushes because of that outline unless my cursor happens across them.

On the off chance that you haven't tried it, Scan Pulse is really helpful for dealing with the rebel scum on Endor. It's really helpful everywhere, actually, maybe a bit too much. I remember in the run up to the game some were questioning whether something like spotting would make it in only to be met with a few responses along the lines of: "Eww, no way. Something like that has no place in a Star Wars game like this!" Right. Instead, we have superduper-mega-ultra spotting that shows you exactly where enemies are and which way they're facing, allowing you to set up/prioritize targets that you may not have even known were there. Thinking about it, I'm probably in no position to give Homing Shot users any grief for being cheesy when I'm running around spamming what is essentially a wallhack all the time.

But then again, outside of specific ion hands, what are you supposed to use in that slot? If you turn on the scan and kill everyone around an uplink you don't really need a shield for protection when activating/shutting it down. Maybe explosive shot? Guess if you used that with a heavy blaster you could cause a lot of ruckus, but as Ganhyun said above, you could also just use a better gun. I don't know, man.

Dice

I don't have those magic powers yet. Nor the magic powers to hide myself from radar, nor the powers to mitigate damage, nor faster health regen, which all become options at the same level. Nor do I have very good blasters or items in comparison to those who do have those powers, nor do I have any movement advantages.

So I not only get to go through the process of learning new game mechanics and new maps, but I get to be the low-level paper tiger who gets shot through blind bushes, shot in the back by someone not on radar, surprised by someone who wasn't on my radar so I thought they were friendly for a split second they used to kill me, instantly blown away around a corner by wallhack camper guy, target locked-onto the moment I'm just in the open enough to not be able to get my slow ass back to cover, sniped across the whole level by someone who was a pixel to me, killed in one shot by someone I had the drop on after I've hit them 5 times, flash grenaded then regular grenaded while blind, turn a corner into a guy with a personal shield, etc, etc.

I'm sure it's "balanced" and nice and strategic per level and mode when everything is unlocked, but it really is quite hellish at low levels. I remember my first times playing Quake and getting killed every 5 seconds, but that was a skill and map knowledge difference. These are legitimate gameplay advantages unlocked for those who have spent more time playing, which already in itself gives them strong advantage. It's pretty ridiculous.

Ganhyun

I don't have those magic powers yet. Nor the magic powers to hide myself from radar, nor the powers to mitigate damage, nor faster health regen, which all become options at the same level. Nor do I have very good blasters or items in comparison to those who do have those powers, nor do I have any movement advantages.

So I not only get to go through the process of learning new game mechanics and new maps, but I get to be the low-level paper tiger who gets shot through blind bushes, shot in the back by someone not on radar, surprised by someone who wasn't on my radar so I thought they were friendly for a split second they used to kill me, instantly blown away around a corner by wallhack camper guy, target locked-onto the moment I'm just in the open enough to not be able to get my slow ass back to cover, sniped across the whole level by someone who was a pixel to me, killed in one shot by someone I had the drop on after I've hit them 5 times, flash grenaded then regular grenaded while blind, turn a corner into a guy with a personal shield, etc, etc.

I'm sure it's "balanced" and nice and strategic per level and mode when everything is unlocked, but it really is quite hellish at low levels. I remember my first times playing Quake and getting killed every 5 seconds, but that was a skill and map knowledge difference. These are legitimate gameplay advantages unlocked for those who have spent more time playing, which already in itself gives them strong advantage. It's pretty ridiculous.

easiest way to level up is to do fighters until you level up enough for some nicer gear. everyone is equal except for skill in that. (though rebel ships have natural advantage compared to imperial ships)

Dice

easiest way to level up is to do fighters until you level up enough for some nicer gear. everyone is equal except for skill in that. (though rebel ships have natural advantage compared to imperial ships)
I should probably do that, anyway. I got into a speeder on Jakku and almost instantly "died" because I went out of bounds or something? My ship just literally vanished into thin air and it said I got lost far, far away. I had a target lock on me so I was just trying to evade. I'm really not used to flying and spotting ground units to shoot and coming around for another pass while not crashing or going out of bounds. That mode should help.

Reminder for those playing on PS4 who want to play with fellow GAFfers to search for and join the PS4 community called BattlefrontGAF. Playing with a team including GAFfers > playing with a team completely made up of randoms.
I've always wanted to play with GAF on a game but I'm worried I'll be shit and drag people down LOL

bigdog

Neo Member
maybe I'm just having less patience as I get older, but I feel like this game and Halo 5 have the perfect level of progression and unlocks. It's not too much, but not so simple either. It still has a good amount of room to change up loadouts. When I load up black ops 3, I just get so overwhelmed. There's soo many guns first of all, so many perks, attachments, blah blah. You need a level to unlock guns, then spend tokens to unlock them, and also you need to start from scratch with each gun to unlock the attachments. Then the customization is insane. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the amount of content, but I feel like it's more work than actually enjoying the game. I find myself just picking up guns from dead players in black ops 3 just to think, damn I'm never going to unlock this. With battlefront, the game is so much fun, I can play for a little, not feel pressured to unlock so many things, but at the same time I can slowly build up my rank as I play. Idk it works for me. It reminds me of the good old MOHAA, BF2, and CS 1.6 days, when multiplayer games were so fun just because the gameplay was so addicting, none of this progression/unlock/management stuff.

Yo Gaf.

Between TFA hype and really wanting a game where I can just mindlessly shoot some stuff online I went against my better judgement and grabbed this game for $50. I've heard all the bad stuff about it, but hey it's Star Wars.

While waiting for it to download I watched the Angry Joe review, Yeesh. Not exactly glowing. So my question is, how are you guys enjoying it? Worth the money? How's the player base? Basically quell the negativity, or add fire to it. Give me your opinions. Money blown? Or can I at least have some fun as my Star Wars hype is at maximum over the next month or so?

And any chance at some TFA maps, guns, characters, etc. later on? Thanks!

Don't expect a complicated deep shooter. It's not that, which is totally fine.

Learn to lead shots.

Heros vs Villians is mad fun.

Miggytronz

Got the game for free through work and yikes does it look bad on PS4. People were amazed by the graphics in the OT so didn't think I would notice the game's resolution but fucking aliasing everywhere.

Is battle of Jaku available for everyone? It's not letting me download it.

Hahahahahaha

SegaShack

Yo Gaf.

Between TFA hype and really wanting a game where I can just mindlessly shoot some stuff online I went against my better judgement and grabbed this game for $50. I've heard all the bad stuff about it, but hey it's Star Wars.

While waiting for it to download I watched the Angry Joe review, Yeesh. Not exactly glowing. So my question is, how are you guys enjoying it? Worth the money? How's the player base? Basically quell the negativity, or add fire to it. Give me your opinions. Money blown? Or can I at least have some fun as my Star Wars hype is at maximum over the next month or so?

You watched a review from a guy called "Angry Joe", expect heavy negativity. Play the game, it's a lot of fun and reminds me of the gold old days of shooters. If you are into Call of Duty this might not be your game. If you like Goldeneye, classic Halo, or Timesplitters then you will love it. You could tell they focused on quality over quantity, which most modern audiences don't understand, they just want more weapons, more maps, and bigger worlds, as compared to focused level and game design.

A lot of fun so far. I think I'm being matched up with noobs though, because I don't usually do this well in multiplayer shooters.

Calling it a night. 8-0 W/L (all supremacy)
2.20 K/D

I got in an Awing and went crazy on people. Ton of fun.

Yo Gaf.

You like Star Wars and want to mindlessly shoot some stuff online. You basically answered your own question. Yes, this game is for you. Hell yes!
Don't know about TFA DLC though. They said repeatedly that they're focusing on the original trilogy.

A lot of fun so far. I think I'm being matched up with noobs though, because I don't usually do this well in multiplayer shooters.

Calling it a night. 8-0 W/L (all supremacy)
2.20 K/D

I got in an Awing and went crazy on people. Ton of fun.

Ah, you got it. Excellent! Enjoy!

Machina

Banned
I think the general consensus among players who have actually played the game is yes, it's awesome, it's fun to play and it's by far the best looking game this gen so far, rivaling The Order.

HOWEVER, it is certainly fair to acknowledge that perhaps if they maybe developed this for 3 years instead of 2, the game would have the right amount of content. I honestly wonder how different the game would have been perceived had it launched with Jakku and one more map ready to go at launch.

JTripper

One trophy away from the platinum. Just rank 50 to go, so it's casual playing the rest of the way for me.

Currently rank 34 at 20 hours of playtime.

The game is so much fun and just scratches the itch if you're hyped for Star Wars and just want to mindlessly inhabit that world while shooting shit up, playing with friends or just killing time. Honestly, it might be the most fun AAA game I've played this year. Sure, I would objectively say Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 for instance are meatier, more serious games to consider in discussion, but just on fun factor alone I have a soft spot for Battlefront. It's quick, easy, accessible, and super fan-servicey.

It's the reason why Rocket League is my overall GOTY of 2015 since it just reaches a level of pure fun that I haven't felt in a while, and I usually tend to lean towards narrative heavy games.

Actually, since Battlefront released, I haven't played much of Fallout 4 at all. Mainly because I think Battlefront can be enjoyed in both long session and short, as opposed to how I play Fallout which is more in long sessions.

Machina

Banned
One trophy away from the platinum. Just rank 50 to go, so it's casual playing the rest of the way for me.

The game is so much fun and just scratches the itch if you're hyped for Star Wars and just want to mindlessly inhabit that world while shooting shit up, playing with friends or just killing time. Honestly, it might be the most fun AAA game I've played this year. Sure, I would objectively say Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 for instance are meatier, more serious games to consider in discussion, but just on fun factor alone I have a soft spot for Battlefront. It's quick, easy, accessible, and super fan-servicey.

It's the reason why Rocket League is my overall GOTY of 2015 since it just reaches a level of pure fun that I haven't felt in a while, and I usually tend to lean towards narrative heavy games.

Actually, since Battlefront released, I haven't played much of Fallout 4 at all. Mainly because I think Battlefront can be enjoyed in both long session and short, as opposed to how I play Fallout which is more in long sessions.

You sound exactly like me. I have more hours clocked in Battlefront now than Fallout which is unbelievable and Rocket League and Battlefront will be squaring off for my Multiplayer GOTY

Palpable

Can someone explain the Y-Wing bomber thing to me? I'm usually in an AT-ST shooting them down, but I don't notice any less bombers or the time limit reducing. Does it not affect the time and is only there for points?

I know this game lacks the depth that a lot of people are seeking, but damn does the Star Wars nostalgia suck me in. Had a blast playing Turning Point earlier tonight.

If you're on the fence, love Star Wars and can find it for about $40 I say go for it.

Vard

I've always wanted to play with GAF on a game but I'm worried I'll be shit and drag people down LOL
Once you get over that initial worry, I'm sure you'll be having fun. For whatever reason the community seems large but fairly fragmented at the moment, so I recommend giving it a shot.

Also if you are average there are still ways to make up for it. Playing the objective alone automatically makes you more useful than many random teammates.

Early 2016 is all we know right now. Probably January?

My guess is we will learn more about the next one this next week, after TFA releases in theaters. Season Pass owners get all DLC 2 weeks early.

My guess is February for DLC1.
May DLC 2
Sometime in Summer, DLC3
And DLC 4 right before or a bit after BF5.

GeeTeeCee

I had my first time using my newly unlocked DL-44 in a game of Drop Zone. I got 46 kills while still playing the objective. I regret nothing.

Had one of my best runs on Rogue, I mean Fighter Squadron last night. Kept leading or was in the not 2-3 all night. Finally got my 10 kills trophy with 16 player ships on one map. Got the trophy for defeated Slave 1 with an X-Wing no less as well, lol. Also went from level 27-32.

Time for some Supremacy or Heroes vs. Villains later today.

I got my Slave 1 kill yesterday as well. Me and a team mate in an X-Wing were vying for the last shot. Just managed to beat him to it and got the trophy.

Managed to get the Blast trophy yesterday as well. I started the game and it was 3 v 3, everyone started leaving but I was top of the leaderboard and I just waited until the time ran out. They have to fix that trophy though, I just got lucky.

jeemer

Is there a trick to finding a match on PC? I mean, I literally can't find one and keep getting thrown into empty lobbies that never fill up.

Have you turned off the Jakku toggle in the main menu at the top left?

I had trouble finding a WA game with it on. I turned it off and never had a problem finding a game in any mode afterwards. EU PC.

Dice

I was playing Heroes vs Villains last night and we won 3 rounds in a row and then the other team ragequit. We got stuck waiting for the player connect countdown, loading a round, auto-winning it after being in-round for 3 seconds, and then repeating. Surely they could figure out a better way of dealing with quitters. I mean I've also seen massive stompings on Walker Assault after half the other team quits. Even replacing them with Hard-level AI would be better than just letting whoever is left on that team get super-fucked, or if you're not going to do that, divide the credit shares of the disconnected players between the remaining players so they have some reward for sticking out such a shitty deal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I got my Slave 1 kill yesterday as well. Me and a team mate in an X-Wing were vying for the last shot. Just managed to beat him to it and got the trophy.

Managed to get the Blast trophy yesterday as well. I started the game and it was 3 v 3, everyone started leaving but I was top of the leaderboard and I just waited until the time ran out. They have to fix that trophy though, I just got lucky.

You scoundrel. I need to get that trophy still.

No Love

Banned

Agree completely. And Rocket League is fucking awesome!!! Love playing on PS4 against my little brother and his friends on PC. What an amazing game.

So why is it that whenever I try Turning Point I get stuck in a permanent load screen and have to force close the game? I have rebooted the console, put it in rest and out of rest, uninstalled the game and DLC and reinstalled it, and I cannot fucking play this shit. What the FUCK

I cannot play on Jakku
This happened to me a few times last night. I was patient and eventually the game did load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom