• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hnngghhhh!
But that would require MUCH more work (completely new palyer models and heroes) than let's say BF3/4 addons. So I am not sure this is going to happen.

It's a lot of work I agree, but sooner or later I believe it has to happen, it's primarily a land-battle game and Episode 2/3 + The Clone Wars TV show have so much to draw from (and they are cannon obviously).

I can see it happening as either an expansion or as a part of the sequel, it obviously wont be a map-pack.

I'm pretty sure they've already said the game will not have pre original trilogy contdon't. That severely limits the scope of what they can do. But maybe we'll see some DLC that coincides with the new movie.

Wasn't that in reference to the launch of the game? I can't imagine they were saying that it would never have prequel/Clone Wars content, especially considering the vast amount of land battles there to draw from. From the Ep. 7 trailers it looks like there will be a very suitable battle there to add as DLC later on.

There is an almost endless supply of DLC that could be developed for this. Star Wars has a very rich universe with lots of battle grounds.

I'm pretty sure they've already said the game will not have any prequel content and will take place "Entirely in the Original Trilogy era". That severely limits the scope of what they can do. But maybe we'll see some DLC that coincides with the new movie.

Yoday

Hnngghhhh!
But that would require MUCH more work (completely new palyer models and heroes, vehicles etc.) than let's say BF3/4 addons. So I am not sure this is going to happen.
It makes me wonder about how they could incorporate their tech into a prequel game. They had to take photos of everything from the original trilogy, but all of the assets already exist digitally for the prequels. I'm sure it would still be a lot of work, but I wonder what kind of conversion process would be required to use digital assets directly from ILM?

Eggbok

I'm pretty sure they've already said the game will not have pre original trilogy contdon't. That severely limits the scope of what they can do. But maybe we'll see some DLC that coincides with the new movie.

Yes the BASE game will not have prequel content. They have said nothing about the DLC at all. I don't think EA is stupid enough to ignore the era with the biggest and craziest battles in the Star Wars universe.

Wasn't that in reference to the launch of the game? I can't imagine they were saying that it would never have prequel/Clone Wars content, especially considering the vast amount of land battles there to draw from. From the Ep. 7 trailers it looks like there will be a very suitable battle there to add as DLC later on.

I really hope so, they would be absolute fools not to.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Have to agree to disagree on that one I'm afraid

I've got a GTX 970 and and an overclocked core i5. On a 1080p tv screen at normal seating distance. There wasn't a big difference graphically.

What big difference did you see?

Osahi

Yes the BASE game will not have prequel content. They have said nothing about the DLC at all. I don't think EA is stupid enough to ignore the era with the biggest and craziest battles in the Star Wars universe.

Yeah, I would love some kashyyk and naboo battles, and prequels have great vehicles too. Naboo Starfighter, the droid tanks, ...

I think this might be the first game in ages I buy the season pass for. Being a Star Wars fan it's all power fantasy come true

Impulsor

Yeah, I would love some kashyyk and naboo battles, and prequels have great vehicles too. Naboo Starfighter, the droid tanks, ...

I think this might be the first game in ages I buy the season pass for. Being a Star Wars fan it's all power fantasy come true

We are going to see new planets for sure, I can't wait to see which ones.

it would be incredibly awesome if they do the battle fo endor in space as DLC too.

DrKelpo

Banned
Hypothetical... If I managed to get my hands on a copy early in Europe, would I even be able to play it right now or are there no eu servers at the moment?

Impulsor

Hypothetical... If I managed to get my hands on a copy early in Europe, would I even be able to play it right now or are there no eu servers at the moment?

You would be perfectly able to play it. I beleive servers are completely up and running now. both on Xbox and on Ps4

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Geonosis is the obvious one, but I'd love to see the Monastery battle from the Clone Wars movie. The Republic are scaling a giant cliff face with their troops and tanks walking up the side, and the Separatists are at the top shooting down.

I've got a GTX 970 and and an overclocked core i5. On a 1080p tv screen at normal seating distance. There wasn't a big difference graphically.

Based on Beta. As I played it on both PC and PS4.

Personally I can see the resolution differences (PS4 has a slightly blurry appearance) but I'm on a 4k TV so it's exacerbated. In addition the Textures, draw distance and AO are noticeably better (if only slightly). The pop in on smaller items strewn across the map is what's really noticeable though.

But honestly it's going to look and perform great on either, so just go with what your friends are playing.

Gimme

1418073613227.gif

tumblr_mh9qmhnpCV1s0iu6xo1_500.gif

Zabrak is a race we can play right?

Hzoltan69

Depends on the setup really. I game on a 100 inch projector screen and the difference between PC and PS4 is quite significant in almost any game.

cjp

I hope they start adding some battles from the Clone Wars, as the original trilogy really only has 2 land battles. Would kill to see what Geonosis could look like on this engine.

I hope not. We're already going to have to have two sand/rock/desert maps. We could do without a third.

Impulsor

Gimme dat Kylo Ren.

I'm pretty sure we are getting heroes, map, and ships from the new game. It would not make sense to not take advantage of the new movie coming out to generate extra revenue.

And I'm not talking only about Jakku, no sir. I bet we are getting whatever battle takes place in the new movie.

This being said... I still want to see other planets, and My head would explode if they ever release anything death star related. Or space battles as dlc.

Or even a map inside a star destroyer. Or a capital ship, whichever. I'd like to see so many things done.

Markitron

I hope not. We're already going to have to have two sand/rock/desert maps. We could do without a third.

Whilst Tatooine is obviously iconic, no major battles took place there. Geonosis is the primary sand battle location in Star Wars and should absolutely be in Battlefront.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm actually surprised how good this looks on Xbox One, especially considering it's 720p.
Can't wait to see what this will look like on a good PC...

Pre-ordered it on PS4 right after the beta. Thought about buying EA Access so I could play the trial of Battlefront but decided against it because I don't want to spoil it.

So far I'm not sold on the season pass yet but I know DICE's Battlefield season passes were worth the money so I'll consider it. If they announce a Bespin map that allows you to have aerial dogfights over the city and fight in close-quarters areas seen in Empire Strikes Back (the carbonite chamber would be glorious) then I'll give in.

Markitron

Does anyone know if the PS4 pad will work on the PC version natively, or do you have to use that tool that emulates the Xbox pad?

Mik3F

Any one else having trouble unlocking achievements today?

Just got all the collectables on Hoth and Endor (got the Star) but the Achievement didn't pop.

Same with the Hero vs Villains one. Killed both Luke and Lei in a round as Palpatine but no achievement

They were unlocking fine yesterday

Ideas?

MADGAME

I'd love to see a DLC map from the beginning of Episode IV when the Imperials board the Tantive IV. It would lend itself well to several modes, Vader/Leia heroes would make sense, and would provide a coll opportunity for R2 and 3PO to make an appearance.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My metacritic predictions: 84

Imma gonna second this.

TLDR of mainstream reviews:
+ insaneo graphico audio
+ fun shoot the guy
+ accessible
+ star wars
- single player kinda butts, campaign where?
- not all star wars
- BugZ
- unlocks where?
[summary] a good game to shoot the guy in star wars[/summary]

If they announce a Bespin map that allows you to have aerial dogfights over the city and fight in close-quarters areas seen in Empire Strikes Back (the carbonite chamber would be glorious) then I'll give in.

Good call, another platform planet I'd love to see again is Kamino. That is if they do prequel stuff.

Imma gonna second this.

+ insaneo graphico audio
+ fun shoot the guy
+ accessible
+ star wars
- not all star wars
- BugZ
- unlocks where?

I have a feeling DICE would get docked for the single player campaign if there was one.

I'd love to see a DLC map from the beginning of Episode IV when the Imperials board the Tantive IV. It would lend itself well to several modes, Vader/Leia heroes would make sense, and would provide a coll opportunity for R2 and 3PO to make an appearance.

That would be superb

There needs to be some prequel/clone war DLC. It's a must. As shitty as the prequels are there is a lot of great content in them to use for a game like this. It's disappointing that it didn't launch with anything.

Nestunt

Imma gonna second this.

+ insaneo graphico audio
+ fun shoot the guy
+ accessible
+ star wars
- not all star wars
- BugZ
- unlocks where?

yup

kinda curious on how it will compare to R6 Siege

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The main point I was trying to make was that I think most reviews will be a fairly predictable run down of the basics behind yet another perfectly serviceable-at-worst multiplayer game. The beta made it clear that even if the design isn't your cup of tea it clearly works, and well enough for people to have a lot of fun. Subjectivity and all that, but unless it launches with Battlefield 4 tier broken shit you've basically got a great looking, smooth playing, completely fine multiplayer game. And you're left with a range of subjective opinions on value-for-content while trying to predict longevity.

I'll probably end up reviewing it and even I know at this point reviews are kinda meaningless unless something is seriously busted (touch wood). Ya'll know what you're getting, for better or worse. And given it's multiplayer the real value can only be gauged months after launch when the staying power and bug crunching can be evaluated.

I have a feeling DICE would get docked for the single player campaign if there was one.

I not so secretly really liked Battlefield 4's campaign (though fucking loathe Battlefield 3's). But I dunno. I think Star Wars would probably cop less shit than another military oorah campaign. Even something that's basically Battlefield 4's but with rebels fighting Stormtroopers, as the "little guy" behind key original trilogy backdrop battles, would probably please a lot of people.

I'm not fussed, but I wouldn't be surprised if Battlefront being predominantly multiplayer costs it a few GAME JOURNALIST points.

This will probably be the only thing that 99% of the people who buy the game care about.

And they will all love it.

And that's fine.

It's why I thoroughly enjoyed the beta!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom