• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

smisk

Well after reading this thread I think I'll hold off until this is $60 with all the DLC a year from now.
Sounds like it's not enough content, and BLOPS III has scratched my multiplayer shooter itch for now.

Kriken

I've been playing Fighter Squadron almost exclusively for 2+ hours, I really wish that mode was part of the beta because I had WAY more fun in that mode than I did in either mode for the beta. I just worry about the connection/servers, I have a few flawless matches, but I'm having serious connection issues and I lose control of my vehicle so often. I'll try out the other mode tomorrow

Yeeeah, I might wait this one out. The lack of content is a horrifying prospect when buying a full priced game.

I hadn't planned to play it so constantly like, say, Fallout 4, but I don't want shit to get old too fast.

Aeqvitas

Been enjoying it on EA access, still no sold on the amount of content. Compared to games like Titanfall and Halo 5 (which the internet claims lacked content), or even Evolve, this game feels anemic in maps, but has a bunch of questionable modes. But damn the core gameplay is good. So I see it being like destiny: content starved, but held up by solid gameplay. I love star wars, so its gonna be a hard decision to get it or wait for it to drop in the vault in 7-9 months.

So I assume there are no plans for free updates/dlc in the future? It's all gonna be paid? All this talk of Destiny Vanilla levels of content have me on the fence.

So I assume there are no plans for free updates/dlc in the future? It's all gonna be paid? All this talk of Destiny Vanilla levels of content have me on the fence.

AFAIK, its all going through Premium, a service I would normally praise...but yeesh. Four maps for some of the most popular modes? That's a rough starting point. There's a reason they kept their map info hush-hush.

Lrrr

Is Jabba's sail barge one of the maps on Tatooine? I see the GR-75 is there for some unknown reason.

As for Stormtroopers without their helmets, I think it's so people can feel like they're emulating Luke & Han in ANH or Finn in TFA.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
My biggest disappointment is that the gameplay is half-baked. All weapons/star cards are way too similar. The only exception is the the jet pack. Without variety, the gameplay will get stale fast.

Also, the heroes look very stale. When I play Battlefront, I wanna feel like a kid playing with his action figures. Don't be afraid to let these heroes be crazy cool. Imagine if there was Force Awakens style picking up and throwing objects. How awesome would it be picking up a big piece of scrap metal and using it as cover for you and your teammates. Boba and Han should also have more unique gadgets. Look at Overwatch with 21 characters that all play super differently and add a different dynamic to the game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Dice, didn't really dream big and use their imagination. Just point and shoot with tremendous graphics. Disappointing, considering the potential of this universe.

TheKevn

To everyone saying "it's not a 60$ game I'll wait for it to go down to 40$"

Wait no longer.
Battlefront-60$
Best buys gamer club unlocked -20%
Battlefront-48$
Preorder bonus 10$ cert(redeemable 14 days after purchase)
Battlefront-basically 38$

Feeling crazy? Put the 10$ cert towards psn/Xbox arcade credit and buy the seasons pass.
Battlefront + stream of new content for a year 88$
Not even sure I'm supposed to be typing these kinds of secrets.

Vegito

Banned
This seems like one of those games where its fun for the first few days if your lucky maybe a week then it gets boring.

Rubixcuba

Banned

Wait no longer.
Battlefront-60$
Battlefront-48$

Feeling crazy? Put the 10$ cert towards psn/Xbox arcade credit and buy the seasons pass.

It's a secret to everybody.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Wait no longer.
Battlefront-60$
Battlefront-48$

The force is strong with you.

Glad I have GC with the 2 years free for the $6.99 Net 10 pre-paid sim deal several months back. Well, I guess I paid $7 for 2 years of GC, lol.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
giphy.gif

Its hard to say to a fan that there's lack of content when there's hoth, endor, fighter squadron, and hero vs villians in the same game.

Not saying you guys are wrong, it'd be great if there's more maps but.... You know...

A lot of us would pay full price for all that listed above. :|

It's Star Wars man.

SegaShack

Is there any mode like classic Battlefront where you capture and control different points on the map? That is the key selling point for me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is there any mode like classic Battlefront where you capture and control different points on the map? That is the key selling point for me.

This is close to it, with a bit of modification:

SUPREMACY
  • Supremacy is a massive mode where the goal is the capture all of the enemy team’s command posts in the time limit or end the round with the majority. A cross between the classic mode Conquest from the Battlefield series and the fan-favorite Momentum (aka War) from Call of Duty, each team starts with two command posts under their control and begin fighting over a fifth, center command post. Once this has been captured the next command post opens up to be captured. Every time a command post is captured time is added to the clock. Players can fight as infantry, use land vehicles, or use starfighters as well as Heroes. Supremacy is 20v20 with no bots.

This was pretty fun in Beta as well:

DROP ZONE
  • Drop Zone is a more personal 8v8 mode where you must capture and hold pods falling from orbit, similar in style of a King-of-the-Hill mode. The number of pods to capture will increase as each team captures or fails to capture pods. Captured pods will award players with battle power-ups. If your team captures 5 pods or if you hold the majority when the the 10 minute timer expires, you win. Drop Zone is 8v8 with no bots.

JDHarbs

Just got done with a 4 hour session. I need to pace myself or my trial will be over before the weekend. Played about half of the multiplayer modes so far and a few of the training missions.

Initial Impressions:

+ Endor alone deserves a GotY award. That map is the culmination of everything game environment artists have been working towards for decades now. It's just second to none. It's beautiful and doesn't feel like a game level at all which is a good thing. It feels like a real living environment that I want to go through my tv and walk around in.

+ 100% nailed Star Wars look & feel is the real selling point of the game. Okay, maybe 95% because I hate helmet-less Stormtroopers, Heroes without proper costumes, and some of the out-of-place equipment like jet packs and Naboo shields.

+ Another match starts right after the last ends so there's much less time waiting in lobbies and more time playing.

+ Gunplay is solid. Pretty standard, but the weapons have a learning curve compared to typical military shooters. Weapons seem to be a bit less accurate than the beta so less cross-mapping is good.

- Joining a party of friends seems more confusing than it needs to be. The Party Leader concept is gone, so everyone in your party has to manually join the same match together one by one to play with each other. Sometimes outsiders will get those spots before everyone in your party can get in so everyone will have to quit the match and try again. Really odd decision here.

- Sometimes I would go into a match with a friend and get partnered up with a random person instead of them. Odd.

- All of the modes are modified versions of common FPS gametypes. Nothing really new here.

- Missions are fun at first, but I really don't see myself playing these much afterward except for maybe Survival. Battles not including multiplayer modes brings a tear to my eye. I just to play the mp modes against bots like Instant Action was. Not some silly Kill Confirmed clone.

- Spawn killing is still an issue that needs to be resolved.

- Still hate hate hate the silly Tow Cable mini game when trying to take down Walkers.

- It's easy to get burned out quickly. I felt worn out after a few hours. This may just be me though.

Overall:

If you're a die-hard Star Wars fan then this game is heaven and easily worth the $60, but to those who aren't watering at the mouth over it then it's going to feel like 2015's Titanfall. The spectacle will draw you in, but you'll get tired after awhile and there isn't enough depth or content to keep you coming back for more.

Its hard to say to a fan that there's lack of content when there's hoth, endor, fighter squadron, and hero vs villians in the same game.

Not saying you guys are wrong, it'd be great if there's more maps but.... You know...

A lot of us would pay full price for all that listed above. :|

It's Star Wars man.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm a fan, too. For better or worse, my monetary situation is making me think past my fandom and instead consider whether or not I want to spend $60 for the proposed amount of content.

If Jakku adds 2 maps to the 4 map modes, I'd probably preorder. As it is, I think I'm fine just waiting.

JTripper

- Joining a party of friends seems more confusing than it needs to be. The Party Leader concept is gone, so everyone in your party has to manually join the same match together one by one to play with each other. Sometimes outsiders will get those spots before everyone in your party can get in so everyone will have to quit the match and try again. Really odd decision here.

This was honestly the one thing I wanted them to fix from the beta, even more than balancing Walker Assault on Hoth. Pretty disappointed to hear it's the same. Something like this is kind of unacceptable with today's triple-A multiplayer standard, no less that the game's main focus is multiplayer.

Wait no longer.
Battlefront-60$
Battlefront-48$

This is what I did a few weeks ago. I swear that the Best Buy Gamer's Club thing is one of retail's best kept secrets.

Any info on the review embargo ?
Ign just posted a review in progress
(its not looking too good)
edit: its on ps4. so thats definitely a review and not taken from early access

theJwac

After playing all the game modes at least once...

This goes back to the old content vs value argument. Will I get $60 worth of time out of this game? Certainly. Is there $60 worth of content here?

GOD no. This should be a premium XBLA/PSN arcade game. The lack of maps in the box really bums me out, and makes it feel like you're buying half a game; given the constant push for this game's "pass", it's safe to say the true cost of this thing is $110.

Which, for as lame as this is, I'm ok paying. It's certainly the best looking current gen game to date, and really is a ton of fun. But I'm well aware I'm getting reamed.

5/10. It would be a 10/10 if they had included the other half of the game in the box.
Respectfully, I disagree with you that this should be a premium arcade game. The amount of time the team must have spent to create these environments, models, sound, balancing, etc pushes the budget way out of arcade territory.

I don't know how one waves their hand and says this line is $60 worth of content. Anything below this line (number of maps, single player, some metric) is a ripoff. Maybe it's because $60 is chump change or maybe it's because the MSRP of a video game has only gone up $10 since I was a kid with my NES, but I feel like I'm getting my sixty bucks worth of content.

By the way, it's interesting that you mention this is more like a $110 game because maybe they all should be.
8rkje3d.png

Either way, I've bought it and I'm really happy with my purchase!

Old Battlefront fans will appreciate this game. I'm talking about the ones who spent hours upon hours mainly playing like 2 game modes in battlefront 1 and 2.

Yup. Played the old Battlefront games for hundreds of hours and played the recent beta till my eyes bled and didn't get burnt out at all. I'm going to enjoy the shit out of this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom