• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda annoyed that this is coming out in a few days.

I'm not even remotely bored of blops 3 yet and cancelled my Fallout pre-order as it was one game too many in quick succession.

I'm going to try to hold off on playing it but man, some of these impressions, even with the lack of content got me excited, and Endor...

Impulsor

I heard AT-ATs are now slower.Also on Endor I understood is just one.
Correct. They may have lowered their home too. Every time the shields are down, a pop up appears in your screen telling you to attack the AT-AT and it's weak spot. Even when you're imperial lol.

Damn, there's no way to run around an empty map a la Battlefield 4. What a pain. :
Running around empty maps in Conquest is a combination of poor level design and having too many control zones for the player count, which is really just another level design issue. The game mode itself is fine and is a shame there's no equivalent, but at the same time it's not like they didn't give us loads of game mode options.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Running around empty maps in Conquest is a combination of poor level design and having too many control zones for the player count, which is really just another level design issue. The game mode itself is fine and is a shame there's no equivalent, but at the same time it's not like they didn't give us loads of game mode options.
Heh, what I'm saying is that I want to run around empty maps so that I can do a visual analysis more easily. If players are shooting at me it's going to become insanely frustrating.

I think he ment that there is no way of picking an empty server and getting to know the map.

Been enjoying it on EA access, still no sold on the amount of content. Compared to games like Titanfall and Halo 5 (which the internet claims lacked content), or even Evolve, this game feels anemic in maps, but has a bunch of questionable modes. But damn the core gameplay is good. So I see it being like destiny: content starved, but held up by solid gameplay. I love star wars, so its gonna be a hard decision to get it or wait for it to drop in the vault in 7-9 months.

Halo 5 lacks content.

The first DLC will drop in December. And i expect the first Season Pass DLC to drop in February.

Do we know if the free Jakku pack has maps for the 20v20 modes?

Of course.

Jakku is probably 1 big map for Supremacy and Walker Assault and a Small variant for the other modes.

Impulsor

I actually enjoyed my time with the game yesterday, a couple of hours. Had more fun than should be legal.

It was kind of a gaming dream come true. I'm gonna list my experiences yesterday.

- I piloted X-Wing and A-Wing fighters against Tie fighters and Tie Interceptors. Had a blast. Was incredible.

- I was named Imperial ACE Pilot because of my performance in the field. I took down many rebel ships with my trusty TIE interceptor.

- I was Gold leader and with the Millenium Falcon I managed to down the Slave 1. As well as a LOT of imperial forces.

- I was Luke skywalker and I dueled the Emperor in Tatooine, and emerged victorious.

- I was Han Solo and decimated the Imperial Infantry like it was nothing.

- I Sped through the forests of Endor chasing rebels in a speeder bike.

- I Landed on Hoth with my apprentice, Lord Vader, and we exterminated the rebel scum.

- I managed to stop the Empire from taking down our transport in Endor.

- I was able to snipe Luke Skywlaker from afar, in the rainy, misty night of Endor.

- I completely blocked a sat-link with my AT-ST so the rebels weren't able to call for Y-Wing support.

- We got Obliterated in Sullust by the rebel scum, when trying to destroy them. Our AT-ATs were destroyed.

I'm not only getting this game. I'm double dipping, PC and Xbox One, so I can take the game with me whenever I got to my parent's house.

And I'm paying for the season pass for sure.This is too much fun for me, the type of fun that makes me smile like a kid. It's like being actual part of the stories I loved (and still do) when I was younger.

SO yeah, It is arcadey, but it's pure joy for me, so I'm completely diving into this.

Hzoltan69

I'm debating whether to buy this for PC or PS4. Please help me choose. I'd really prefer PC for the graphics and performance, but I'm not a competitive gamer and I play with a controller even on PC. Also, I have a lot more friends on PSN than on PC.
I wasn't in the beta, so I don't really know how this game plays. Question is: do you think I would have fun on PC playing with a controller and randoms (mostly)?

I'm debating whether to buy this for PC or PS4. Please help me choose. I'd really prefer PC for the graphics and performance, but I'm not a competitive gamer and I play with a controller even on PC. Also, I have a lot more friends on PSN than on PC.
I wasn't in the beta, so I don't really know how this game plays. Question is: do you think I would have fun on PC playing with a controller and randoms (mostly)?

I think you answered your own question.

So that plasma sniper (forgot the name) does 2.5% damage to the underside of a walker

Coupled with the Ion launcher, which does 3%.

That's over 5% damage on a walker, from one person, per refresh.

O_O

GRaider81

I'm in a very similar boat, play with a controller on PC and most of my mates are on PS4.

But screw my friends, I'm all about the 1440p 120fps.

Impulsor

I'm in a very similar boat, play with a controller on PC and most of my mates are on PS4.

haha, I can't make that decision, so I'm just double dipping.

I'm playing it on a 3440x1440 monitor on PC. Cannot wait.

Tak3n

Banned

I don't think they have put aim assist in on PC, I would check that as without that you would be stuffed on a controller.... or get good with the steam controller is a option

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I ended up getting the PS4 version. After demoing both on my PC and PS4 on my tv. There wasn't a big difference in graphics between them.

I know this thread is about Battlefront but holy moly Halo 5 most definitely doesn't lack content.

Yes it does and so does this game. This game really has a Titanfall feel to me (though I think tf was actually more fun and had better gameplay). I"ll probably wait. I have some other games to get through first.

jeemer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this game has 12 maps with 2 more coming next month, 9 multiplayer modes, 4 sp/coop mission types, 11 guns, 13 star cards, 6 charged star cards, 5 traits, 11 powerups, 10 vehicles, 6 playable heros and over 100 customisation options. Plus on top of that everyone saying it looks absolutely fantastic, runs well on each platform and has some of the best sound design ever.

If you're not buying the game because it doesn't have a campaign, that's completely fair. Don't dig the gameplay? Cool. If you're not buying it because there aren't 10 maps on your favourite mode, or because you'd like to be able to choose between 80 different laser guns, each with 10 scopes and grips to choose from, then don't buy it.

The lack of content argument is starting to sound pretty ridiculous to me at this point though. Especially when I consider how much time people seem to spend on 2fort, dust2 or metro.

I'm debating whether to buy this for PC or PS4. Please help me choose.

I'd also say aim assist might be an issue for you. Aside from that, people seem worried about hackers on pc. I saw one hacker during 30hrs of the beta, and a ton of people being banned. I've also only seen 1 hacker in around 60 hours of bf4.

All I know is that the servers were packed for the beta. Despite the lack of a server browser I think this game will have a decent future on pc. I decided to upgrade my graphics card and go with pc rather than getting a ps4.

Yoday

Any info on the review embargo ?
Ign just posted a review in progress
(its not looking too good)
edit: its on ps4. so thats definitely a review and not taken from early access
Who cares? The game is in the wild, so go watch some streams and YT videos and form your own opinion. There is literally nothing a review could tell you that isn't already out there aside from the reviewers own personal feelings about the game.

FeD.nL

Well some thoughts after playing for a couple of hours:

Squadron Fighter is a ton of fun but both the Slave I and the Falcon can very easily spawn camp. Their TTK is so fast that you can kill 3 ships flying in within seconds and basically repeat that process because the spawns are static, I've done it myself it felt dirty.

The game looks and sounds phenomenal.

The real problem for me is that games tend to feel the same. Both Walker Assault and Supremacy are very linear experiences. You can't sneak around an capture a point because, well that isn't there. I guess they have done it for accessibility reasons but it dumbs down the experience a bit. Every map plays out the same, it's not a playground it's a shooting gallery.

derFeef

So that plasma sniper (forgot the name) does 2.5% damage to the underside of a walker

Coupled with the Ion launcher, which does 3%.

That's over 5% damage on a walker, from one person, per refresh.

O_O

I think when the game is out proper we will see tactics to take down the walkers in no time and maybe then we will get a rebalance again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this game has 12 maps with 2 more coming next month, 9 multiplayer modes, 4 sp/coop mission types, 11 guns, 13 star cards, 6 charged star cards, 5 traits, 11 powerups, 10 vehicles, 6 playable heros and over 100 customisation options. Plus on top of that everyone saying it looks absolutely fantastic, runs well on each platform and has some of the best sound design ever.

If you're not buying the game because it doesn't have a campaign, that's completely fair. Don't dig the gameplay? Cool. If you're not buying it because there aren't 10 maps on your favourite mode, or because you'd like to be able to choose between 80 different laser guns, each with 10 scopes and grips to choose from, then don't buy it.

The lack of content argument is starting to sound pretty ridiculous to me at this point though. Especially when I consider how much time people seem to spend on 2fort, dust2 or metro.

Could not have said it any better.

evilr

Banned
It is the 19th.

EU peasants always get big releases last :(

tCkHOOF.gif

Yoday

Well said. I'll add that the training missions alone are almost like entire missions from the Rogue Squadron games. Some are shorter, some are longer.

sTiTcH AU

After playing a bit, i can see this as another Titanfall. Going to sell heaps, have a great reception however will lose most of its players within two months. I can't see myself playing for long.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Question for PC players:

Do you think it will be possible to play with K&M normally, whilst simultaneously having an XB1 controller plugged in for flight controls. Will I be forced to choose on or the other?

jeemer

Question for PC players:

Do you think it will be possible to play with K&M normally, whilst simultaneously having an XB1 controller plugged in for flight controls. Will I be forced to choose on or the other?

This is exactly what I did in the beta, works fine :)

jeemer

Excellent, thanks. I take it that it controls much better with the controller?

No problem! To be honest I didn't even try it without, I'm already used to having the dual setup for battlefield. The controls in battlefront are simplified in comparison though. Lots of people recommend turning on invert and southpaw. Apparently that makes it control very similar to rogue squadron.

I can't fly for shit. I hope it's just me because it's beyond terrible.

I do not understand how, even on the 360, the game can look so real and photorealistic. DICE has one upped everyone in terms of image quality. I cannot wait till Tuesday so I can play this on my PC on full ultra settings.

Impulsor

I do not understand how, even on the 360, the game can look so real and photorealistic. DICE has one upped everyone in terms of image quality. I cannot wait till Tuesday so I can play this on my PC on full ultra settings.

It's just you. And you mean xbox One right?

You mean xbone

But the low res really shows

Well, I'll get it on 360 then ^^

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
After playing a bit, i can see this as another Titanfall. Going to sell heaps, have a great reception however will lose most of its players within two months. I can't see myself playing for long.

There is an almost endless supply of DLC that could be developed for this. Star Wars has a very rich universe with lots of battle grounds.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
There is an almost endless supply of DLC that could be developed for this. Star Wars has a very rich universe with lots of battle grounds.

I hope they start adding some battles from the Clone Wars, as the original trilogy really only has 2 land battles. Would kill to see what Geonosis could look like on this engine.

derFeef

I hope they start adding some battles from the Clone Wars, as the original trilogy really only has 2 land battles. Would kill to see what Geonosis could look like on this engine.

Hnngghhhh!
But that would require MUCH more work (completely new palyer models and heroes, vehicles etc.) than let's say BF3/4 addons. So I am not sure this is going to happen.

cyberheater

Yes. That would be very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom