• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

vixlar

It would be cool that, given that you can't use air vehicles on Endor, the Fighter Squadron on that map should be played on space over Endor. (Just dreaming)

Getting it on PS4 but I've been playing it on Xbone thanks to EA Access and this game is so damn good! Glad it turned out alright. Walker Assault is so much more balanced now too.

Bumhead

Banned
Walker Assault - specifically on Endor - might be my favourite mode from any multiplayer shooter I've ever played. It's absolutely amazing.

I'd love to see the vehicle mode (cant remember the name.. but the one with the X-Wings and TIE Fighters) get expanded on as well. I think the core gameplay of it is incredibly fun, but it feels a bit rushed in terms of just getting it into the game. I'd absolutely LOVE proper objective based variants on that gameplay where there are evolving states of the rounds. Thinking the Death Star run from A New Hope and Battle over Endor would be incredible, if as the Rebellion you had to take out different objectives before commencing the final run through the Death Star.

Really hoping one of the DLC packs focuses specifically on those flying combat modes. If there are four expansions, a prequels pack, a Force Awakens Pack and an aeriel dogfighting expansion makes a lot of sense. Leaves room for a fourth still as well.

I dunno mang

I'm seeing walkers go down extremely fast now.

And let's not get started on the AT ST, they have become irrelevant now.

Crazy.

All I want for Christmas is a map inside the death star.

latest

NJD316

Neo Member
Hoping we see some prequel stuff, if not in the DLC then maybe in the sequel. Whilst the movies are poor in my opinion, they have some great...stuff in them. The aesthetics of the droids and some of the ships are really cool, and it would be great to play on Naboo among other planets.

Would also be up for blowing up a Gungan.

MADGAME

All I want for Christmas is a map inside the death star.

latest

Your post inspired me to list my Christmas wishes for the game. I hope Santa reads NeoGaf.

Death Star Map
Tantive IV Map
Star Destroyer Map
Bespin Map
Jabba's Palace and Rancors need an appearance
Yavin Map
Dagobah Map

New Mission where you fight in Death Star as Luke and Han, blasting your way to imprisoned Leia then escape.
Bounty Hunter Character packs.
Space Battles with new ship DLC - B-wing, Y-wing, TIE Bombers, TIE Advance

Yeah, I would love some kashyyk and naboo battles, and prequels have great vehicles too. Naboo Starfighter, the droid tanks, ...

I think this might be the first game in ages I buy the season pass for. Being a Star Wars fan it's all power fantasy come true
I want a "Snipe the Podracers" mode, where players are Tuskan raiders camped out in the canyons overlooking the podracing circuit. Bonus points for taking out Anakin.

mjc

DICE hasn't done a solid single player campaign since the Bad Company 1/2 days. I have no faith in that happening with Star Wars.

ultron87

In playing a few matches from last night I'm not a fan of how the spawning works. Since you can't pick where you spawn at all, except for your partner, it is very tough to pick a goal on the bigger maps and stick with it. If I want to go take a specific point in Walker Assault or be on defense or etc, I just have to hope that I spawn in that general area of the map. I can't really direct my efforts at all, so when a point falls when I'm not there it doesn't feel like I've failed, it feels like the game just didn't let me do the thing I wanted to. And that is frustrating.

Pre-ordered the game for PC. Can't wait to get my hands on it, even though I have way too many games to play right now. Still, I reckon, this will be just about the only game I'll play for the month in preparation for the new film. Just because.

Ferr986

What is the difference between X and A Wing or TIE Fighter and Interceptor in game?

By playing the beta, I felt like the A-Wing was more agile and easier to control, but that's probably just because it's smaller. I still rather use X-Wings, but only because of looks.
Also it's probably easier to crash with an X-Wing because its bulkier...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this game has 12 maps with 2 more coming next month, 9 multiplayer modes, 4 sp/coop mission types, 11 guns, 13 star cards, 6 charged star cards, 5 traits, 11 powerups, 10 vehicles, 6 playable heros and over 100 customisation options. Plus on top of that everyone saying it looks absolutely fantastic, runs well on each platform and has some of the best sound design ever.

If you're not buying the game because it doesn't have a campaign, that's completely fair. Don't dig the gameplay? Cool. If you're not buying it because there aren't 10 maps on your favourite mode, or because you'd like to be able to choose between 80 different laser guns, each with 10 scopes and grips to choose from, then don't buy it.

The lack of content argument is starting to sound pretty ridiculous to me at this point though. Especially when I consider how much time people seem to spend on 2fort, dust2 or metro.

That's a bit disingenuous. Yes, there are 12 maps in the game, but only 4 maps available for two of the most popular modes (Supremacy and Walker Assault, as well as Fighter Squadron and Cargo), 6 for Drop Zone and Droid Run, and 9 for Blast, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs Villains.

A ton of modes is not always a good thing--the BF community has learned this via Battlefield 3/4. Battlefield 4 has ~13 game modes--you think all of them are regularly played? At some point, the snake eats its own tail: people don't play the game modes because no one else is, so it can be hard to find servers to play on.

I don't really care about listing off numbers, either. The same could be done for Evolve, or Titanfall, or any number of shooters that, on paper, have "a lot" of content.

Honestly, I think the number of weapons is fine. Visual customization is laughable bad, given the entire universe that could have been mined, but hey, it doesn't affect gameplay.

My main gripe is the maps. Only four maps for two of your premier modes is just bad. There's no way around it. If Battlefield launched with four Conquest and four Rush maps, DICE would be eaten alive.

Someone else also brought up how he's happy with the small number of maps because of the amount of time he's dumped into dust2 and other CS maps. That's the advantage of hindsight--Counter-Strike didn't only have amazing maps when it launched. Cream rises to the top. You can't assume that every map in Battlefront is a gem on the level of dust2, or 2fort, or whatever example you want to use.

After the beta and playing the trial for a bit, the MP just feels extremely casual and I really don't see anyone getting really competitive with it like they do for CoD, Battlefield, or Halo.

But god damn, if these aren't the prettiest multiplayer maps in any game ever. Ever. The variety of modes I've played so far has been really fun too. While it may not scratch the itch of a teamwork focused game like CSGO or Halo, it has been mindless fun just blasting at Stormtroopers endlessly. I'll be picking this up on PC eventually

I remembered last night that I have time left on my Access subscription. The game is pretty goddam fun. Fighting on the Endor map is god tier. The only complaint I have is air combat. The controls felt pretty assy.

Oynox

By playing the beta, I felt like the A-Wing was more agile and easier to control, but that's probably just because it's smaller. I still rather use X-Wings, but only because of looks.
Also it's probably easier to crash with an X-Wing because its bulkier...

I have got the feeling that I get shot way more often flying an X-Wing since it is so much larger lol

However, I think it does a bit more damage, but that might be only feel. Regarding the TIE Fighter I noticed that it zooms more onto the target but that might be illusion as well.

Oynox

Yeah, the Endor map is an accomplishment. Love it.

Fun how everyone loves it. Admittedly it is very well made, but that is why I actually do not like it. So much trees and green, to me, it is hell of a mess. I also dislike it that rebels have got such a big advantage on those green maps since they are dressed all green.

Fun how everyone loves it. Admittedly it is very well made, but that is why I actually do not like it. So much trees and green, to me, it is hell of a mess. I also dislike it that rebels have got such a big advantage on those green maps since they are dressed all green.

I meant in terms of art AND how smooth it runs. Not ready to call it a great map yet, as far as layout goes, but I've never seen anything else quite like it in a console shooter.

As beautiful as the map is, it made me wish this game had clamber. Getting around isn't as smooth as I want it to be.

For the most part, I have been able to traverse most areas okay, but I am puzzled that clamber was not included in this game.

def sim

As beautiful as the map is, it made me wish this game had clamber. Getting around isn't as smooth as I want it to be.

gossi

Another cool thing - no loading between matches. It silently loads the map during the scoreboard, so you just quickly go from map to map.

vixlar

Honestly, I think the number of weapons is fine. Visual customization is laughable bad, given the entire universe that could have been mined, but hey, it doesn't affect gameplay.

My main gripe is the maps. Only four maps for two of your premier modes is just bad. There's no way around it. If Battlefield launched with four Conquest and four Rush maps, DICE would be eaten alive.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 was launched with four maps for Conquest and four for Rush...

But those were different maps (8 at total) and later they added new maps...

My gripe here is about DLC. Given the price of the game, and the price of the Season Pass, I'm afraid that there will be only one planet per DLC.

After the beta and playing the trial for a bit, the MP just feels extremely casual and I really don't see anyone getting really competitive with it like they do for CoD, Battlefield, or Halo.

I'll give you Halo, but CoD and Battlefield are extremely far from being competitive, and I'm a huge battlefield fan.

I don't need my mass market Star Wars shooter to be anything like counter strike. I initially felt the same about Battlefront, it's shallow and too casual but this game crucially needs to be accessible by every demographic, it was never going to appeal to the hardcore and statistically tiny competitive communities. It's actually a good thing in my opinion, you should be able to fire it up for the first time and just have fun without a steep learning curve.

chris121580

This is some of the most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer game. They absolutely nailed every aspect of the universe. If I had one complaint, it would be the detection between you and your teammates. It can get really annoying when a bunch of you are trying to run through corridors. It'd be nice if teammates could just walk through one another

AEREC

I want this, but multi-player shooters kind of intimidate me. I'm not very good at FPSs.

If it helps...this will probably be a more casual mp shooter. Battlefield games have always felt more fun than competitive compared to games like Counter Strike, Cod and to some degree Halo.

Battlefield games are usually the only ones where I don't worry about KD ratio too much.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 was launched with four maps for Conquest and four for Rush...

But those were different maps (8 at total) and later they added new maps...

My gripe here is about DLC. Given the price of the game, and the price of the Season Pass, I'm afraid that there will be only one planet per DLC.

Yeah, like I said earlier--if the addition of Jakku gives us two new "big" maps for Supremacy and WA, I'd likely preorder. For now, I'm passing.

In other threads, I defended DICE's Premium services, as they cumulatively added over double the content in the base game. That's going to be easy for them to do here--if that is, indeed, how they have it structured. Because of how lite the main game is right now, I have no idea what the DLC is going to look like and it seems like we can't use Battlefield as a basis for comparison.

def sim

In playing a few matches from last night I'm not a fan of how the spawning works. Since you can't pick where you spawn at all, except for your partner, it is very tough to pick a goal on the bigger maps and stick with it. If I want to go take a specific point in Walker Assault or be on defense or etc, I just have to hope that I spawn in that general area of the map. I can't really direct my efforts at all, so when a point falls when I'm not there it doesn't feel like I've failed, it feels like the game just didn't let me do the thing I wanted to. And that is frustrating.

It's all too mindless and, in objective based modes, it shouldn't have to be. Peculiar for a Battlefield game to have this limitation.

For the most part, I have been able to traverse most areas okay, but I am puzzled that clamber was not included in this game.

Yeah, clambering is a small detail that would have added to the already impressive presentation. Playing in third person, seeing my character clumsily bump into the air over a small obstacle takes me out of it.

Theorry

Thats my main gripe also. I mean always tought Premium was worth it for Battlefield.
For sure BF3 and abit BF4. But in BF4 i already noticed alot of splitting up the community. I mean for 2 weeks everybody is playing the new maps and then its dead and everybody is back to vanilla. Hardline is even worse.

Its gonna happen with this game also. Premium was cool for some years but i think EA also need to change to free dlc and then get extra money with cosmetic microtransactions. I mean this game would have been perfect for that.

jeemer

I feel like I already addressed most of your other points, so I'll just comment on these bits:

You can't assume that every map in Battlefront is a gem on the level of dust2, or 2fort, or whatever example you want to use.

I've spent a fair bit of time on dust2, 2fort, and metro. But the thing is (particularly with 2fort and metro) I don't think they're actually particularly great maps. They're just the maps people flock to cause they're vanilla and they're easy to navigate. People have a tendency to stick with things they're familiar with.

Regardless, it's not like you can choose to play walker assault on endor (afaik) because of matchmaking, so this is kinda moot. You get the map they give you for your chosen game mode. Again, it's fair enough if you still don't think 12 maps (spread across the modes) is enough on top of the sp/coop missions.

A ton of modes is not always a good thing

I didn't mean to imply it's a good thing by default. However there are a couple of unique game modes as well as some fps favourites. My point is that the choice is there. Maybe within the first week it will become obvious that one or two of the game modes are generally ignored (my money's on droid run) but my reason for initially bringing up numbers across the board was all these complaints about lack of content in the previous couple of pages. I don't see any other way to address these complaints except address them with data. I think it's a bit naff to cry "lack of content" and then when someone points all the different game modes say "but they might be crap! maybe no one will play them"

I'm still convinced "lack of content" to most people complaining in this thread translates directly to "there's not enough maps in what I've already decided is my favourite game mode" - my answer to those people is more maps are already due next month, and who knows, you may even enjoy the other game modes(!) - but at the end of the day if you don't want to buy it then no one is forcing you.

I think one of the main issues is, even after all this time, people still insist on comparing this reboot to the earlier battlefronts and / or battlefield. I think if this game was coming from a new studio and looked and played like it does people would be doing backflips about it. It's just easy to slate a game people are still referring to as a sequel, based on unrealistic expectations imo.

I'll give you Halo, but CoD and Battlefield are extremely far from being competitive, and I'm a huge battlefield fan.

I don't need my mass market Star Wars shooter to be anything like counter strike. I initially felt the same about Battlefront, it's shallow and too casual but this game crucially needs to be accessible by every demographic, it was never going to appeal to the hardcore and statistically tiny competitive communities. It's actually a good thing in my opinion, you should be able to fire it up for the first time and just have fun without a steep learning curve.

I agree 100% and that's kind of what I was getting at in my second paragraph. It's just dumb fun, and while I usually don't like playing casual shooters this has been an absolute blast. My 8 year old is obsessed with Star Wars and he loves playing the game. It's great that the game is so accessible that anyone who has an affinity to the Star Wars universe can have fun with it.

But god damn, if these aren't the prettiest multiplayer maps in any game ever. Ever. The variety of modes I've played so far has been really fun too. While it may not scratch the itch of a teamwork focused game like CSGO or Halo, it has been mindless fun just blasting at Stormtroopers endlessly. I'll be picking this up on PC eventually

Not every game has to be competitive. Im basicly getting tired of that approach. Its refreshing to finally have a easy to pick up arcade shooter again.

vixlar

My other fear is segregation. Given that there's no server browser. How they will handle map rotation on people who doesn't have DLC or premium. ¿Different map rotations? Same map rotations but being kicked if you don't own that particular DLC? Like Bad Company Vietnam that was treated as a different game?

Regardless, it's not like you can choose to play walker assault on endor (afaik) because of matchmaking, so this is kinda moot. You get the map they give you for your chosen game mode.

FYI, you can select the map you want to play--just scroll down to the actual game mode and press X to pick the map.

I'm still convinced "lack of content" to most people complaining in this thread translates directly to "there's not enough maps in what I've already decided is my favourite game mode" - my answer to those people is more maps are already due next month, and who knows, you may even enjoy the other game modes(!) - but at the end of the day if you don't want to buy it then no one is forcing you.

I think one of the main issues is, even after all this time, people still insist on comparing this reboot to the earlier battlefronts and / or battlefield. I think if this game was coming from a new studio and looked and played like it does people would be doing backflips about it. It's just easy to slate a game people are still referring to as a sequel, based on unrealistic expectations imo.

I just don't like this method of arguing, in video games or anywhere else. You're assuming that the critic has a chip on their shoulder, which gives you a free pass to ignore their criticism. It's like high-fiving yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom