• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be clear, I am having a lot of fun playing--I'm just worried that lack of maps/content will really hamper that experience.

I've been burned a LOT in the past 2 years with games that have good-to-great gameplay but they just don't have much lasting content.

jet1911

To be clear, I am having a lot of fun playing--I'm just worried that lack of maps/content will really hamper that experience.

I've been burned a LOT in the past 2 years with games that have good-to-great gameplay but they just don't have much lasting content.

It'll have enough content
if you buy the season pass!

Karak

I meant in terms of art AND how smooth it runs. Not ready to call it a great map yet, as far as layout goes, but I've never seen anything else quite like it in a console shooter.

That map is pure bliss and like you I am not yet at classic mode but the various avenues and even the pincer and flanking lines are just absolutely rock solid. There is also a lot of risk versus reward there that I don't feel in the other titles. To get to some of the excellent safer locations requires passing through more risky ones.

It'll have enough content
if you buy the season pass!

Wait I don't think the season pass includes release day stuff does it?

Pastry

Banned
My other fear is segregation. Given that there's no server browser. How they will handle map rotation on people who doesn't have DLC or premium. ¿Different map rotations? Same map rotations but being kicked if you don't own that particular DLC? Like Bad Company Vietnam that was treated as a different game?

It will be handled like BF4 probably with different queues. One for vanilla, one win only DLC pack 1, one with only DLC pack 2 and then probably one with everything. You join the queue that has the content you have.

Oh ok thanks guys. Going to go ahead and buy the game once my ea access trial runs out anyway.

Edit. Didn't word my intial post correctly. Im an ea access member.

It's silly to ask people "not to buy it" in the face of criticism. That's ridiculous and stifles conversation. Stop that.

That's my fear as well.

The singleplayer doesn't have much meat and lacks options.
The multiplayer content is basic - which is fine, but has no other equalizer like more maps, etc.
And to me, it's looking like the season pass plus this game will make it full rather than what's dropped on release. I'm talking solely from the beta, but the impressions here are pushing me to a Buy At 30 Bucks.

Unless my friend gets it, and then EA gets my money regardless of my say!

N30RYU

My new Xbox One gamerpic...

231ase8.png

alterno69

Banned
This is some of the most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer game. They absolutely nailed every aspect of the universe. If I had one complaint, it would be the detection between you and your teammates. It can get really annoying when a bunch of you are trying to run through corridors. It'd be nice if teammates could just walk through one another

That stormtroopers sliding and falling gif would be appropriate here lol

I absolutely love how it looks when a bunch of stormtroopers are moving in the same direction, i feel like there was actually quite a bit of teamwork despite the lack of voice chat, i only played TDM for a couple of hours mind you.

Videogamer have their video review up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOzs1iddOmM

Basically it's meh as expected from the beta.

Listening now, but I will say that this
And so after a few hours, you know, let's say 6 or 7 hours, you're like "I've seen it. I've done it now." And there was a moment last night I was playing it, I played it all day and I was really enjoying it up to a point, I took a break now...I won a game in Walker Assault, I went to another map and I was like "I'm out. I'm kinda done now."
I kinda feel this way, too. For better or worse, it's a pickup-and-play game, but not much more than that. Come for the Star Wars, stay for the Star Wars, basically.

That's my fear as well.

The singleplayer doesn't have much meat and lacks options.
The multiplayer content is basic - which is fine, but has no other equalizer like more maps, etc.
And to me, it's looking like the season pass plus this game will make it full rather than what's dropped on release. I'm talking solely from the beta, but the impressions here are pushing me to a Buy At 30 Bucks.

Unless my friend gets it, and then EA gets my money regardless of my say!

Yup, exactly.

The simplicity is what draws me to it. I put 20 hours into the beta on only two modes and two maps and I wanted more. Now I've got 9 modes and 12 maps.

GeeTeeCee

While the absence of space battles still hurts, I've been watching footage from the Fighter Squadron mode and now I'm incredibly hyped.

The amount of content in the base game is still a concern for me, but I'm pretty confident I could happily dump hours into that mode alone without getting bored.

Damn this 19th UK release date.

Risgroo

Videogamer have their video review up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOzs1iddOmM

Basically it's meh as expected from the beta.
So if I loved the beta I'll love the game? Cool.
The simplicity is what draws me to it. I put 20 hours into the beta on only two modes and two maps and I wanted more. Now I've got 9 modes and 12 maps.

Exactly! The beta was the most fun I've ever had with a shooter. As long as I get more of that I'm happy.

Thankfully only system party chat.

Jumped into a quick game of Halo yesterday morning before heading out to work. Someone drops the N word about 30 seconds in.

I prefer games give a choice, of course. BLOPS 3 has a universal mute now, which works perfectly and is a saved setting so I never have to hear randoms.

I wish Halo had that setting. It's not easy to keep everyone muted in that game.

Oh. Ea access is only for Xbone? :(

I start working on Monday and I no longer have a life. Dammit.

It's also sad how much gamers nowadays need a shitton of content and modes to keep engaged. I remember the old days where there wasnt even a level up system, you'd just play to play...

I'd most likely would get this if it was even just the beta content. It's just fun and doesnt require insane investment, it's why Rocket League is enjoyable to me. Simple mechanics that are replayable. If this was anything like Blops3AdvancedGhosts4 I'd be disappointed.

There are a lot of hints in the first DLC image.

Since it shows Darth Vader..... it will be about the original trilogy. So....

Death Star map?

Also, about the content, do you guys think each DLC with bring:

1 new location (Death Star?!?!?!?!)
4-6 maps
2 new heroes (1 hero 1 villain, Chewwie and someone else?)
4-6 weapons
6-8 star cards

Jumped into a quick game of Halo yesterday morning before heading out to work. Someone drops the N word about 30 seconds in.

I prefer games give a choice, of course. BLOPS 3 has a universal mute now, which works perfectly and is a saved setting so I never have to hear randoms.

I wish Halo had that setting. It's not easy to keep everyone muted in that game.

There definitely is a mute all option in Warzone. Can't remember for the Arena matches though.

I don't know guys... Everything about this game is so wonderful... The graphics are great, the sound is great, the set pieces are great, they've used the IP wonderfully... I'm just not having very much fun when I play it even though it feels like I should be because it does so much right.

Ambitious

Good lord, who thought having Vader breathing non-stop when you use the Vader PS4 theme was a good idea? Back to the default theme.

There definitely is a mute all option in Warzone. Can't remember for the Arena matches though.

Does it stick, though?

There are a lot of games that will have mute options but as soon as someone new joins the room or you turn off and start a new game later, the option resets to an open channel.

Drives me nuts. I couldn't play GTA Online because of it.

Wabba

Pretty funny that PS4 has the commercial right to this game, yet you can play it a week earlier on Xbox One. I bet they regret the EA Access decision.

There are a lot of hints in the first DLC image.

Since it shows Darth Vader..... it will be about the original trilogy. So....

Death Star map?

Also, about the content, do you guys think each DLC with bring:

1 new location (Death Star?!?!?!?!)
4-6 maps
2 new heroes (1 hero 1 villain, Chewwie and someone else?)
4-6 weapons
6-8 star cards
What first DLC image?

- Joining a party of friends seems more confusing than it needs to be. The Party Leader concept is gone, so everyone in your party has to manually join the same match together one by one to play with each other. Sometimes outsiders will get those spots before everyone in your party can get in so everyone will have to quit the match and try again. Really odd decision here.
What the hell?

This is a deal breaker for me, and exactly what I was worried about. Whats with DICE and parties?

5taquitos

Pretty funny that PS4 has the commercial right to this game, yet you can play it a week earlier on Xbox One. I bet they regret the EA Access decision.

The same thing happened with BF:Hardline, which also had PS-exclusive marketing. I don't think they really care.

ChuckNyce

I don't know guys... Everything about this game is so wonderful... The graphics are great, the sound is great, the set pieces are great, they've used the IP wonderfully... I'm just not having very much fun when I play it even though it feels like I should be because it does so much right.

That's basically the same boat I'm in. The presentation is through the effing roof no doubt, I just wish I had more fun playing. I'm just not enjoying the gameplay and despite the fact that there's 12 modes, I've yet to find one that's really hooked me. I kinda felt the same after the beta but thought to myself "well, when the full game is out it'll feel more fleshed out".

I could see myself definitely picking it up at some point down the line for sure but the 10 hour trial and the stack of holiday games sitting on my desk has pretty much convinced me to skip a day one purchase on this one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My feelings too. I completely understand the complaints about content but for me MP games I'll put a lot of time into are few and far between, mostly made by DICE, which is why I have no issues paying full price. As a Star Wars fan the atmosphere of the game is perfect and I loved the core infantry combat. I do think the game should be criticized for lack of content and it'll be a major issue for lots of people but MP is all about the underlying mechanics for me.

JimiNutz

Banned
Is it weird that I like Blast?
I started playing it about 4 hours ago and have mainly been playing that...
Supremacy and Walker Assault are just too chaotic at times and I find myself enjoying Blast or Drop Zone far more.

It's because you don't have the jetpack yet.

Jetpack changes everything. Jetpack is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom