• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Thanks. This might take a while lol, not high enough for the Cycler yet and I'm crap at chipping away enough health for the Pulse to be a one hit kill.

Finally hit 25. Bought the DL-44, played a Blast round... this thing is absurd. I'm not great at the game and I figured I was just being whiny by saying that I get killed by it a lot, but holy crap. Had to save the recording of the round just because.

You can charge the pulse cannon shot by holding down fire - fully charged is a one hit kill anywhere on the body.

Jubern

Anyone having trouble finding games?

I got the game yesterday and the it's very difficult to find decently filled matches. Right now I'm trying to find a game on Cargo and I've been staring at a blank screen for several minutes...

Is this normal? I thought this was having peak activity due to christmas.

Tubie

Max Rank! Total Playtime: 34:14:26 (thank you double xp!)

sbNltbZ.png

Now I'll probably take a break till the first DLC comes out.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So I finally got around to joining a BattlefrontGAF room. I'm JeffJaqi.

I'm new to online gaming. Like, fresh-as-snow new. How do I get a chat going in these rooms? I'd love to get some strategizing going with y'all.

I guess I kinda sorta figured out an answer to this question. I have to launch a "Party" and invite people into it since the sessions listed in the BattlefrontGAF community on PS4 don't seem to natively support a mic.

Well, that puts a damper on things. I wouldn't really feel comfortable spamming friend requests to y'all and inviting you to a party chat. It'd be sure to annoy at least a few of you.

Bah. I really wanna try the whole headset-gaming thing, I'm 28 and I've never before done it. If anyone is on at any point and wants to invite me to a party chat, feel free. :D

Palpable

Does anyone have any hot tips for improving KDR in the large modes? I've gotten good enough now that after a few warm-up rounds I'm regularly scoring pretty decently in things like Cargo and Heroes vs Villains, but when I hop into stuff like Supremacy I'm still all over the place (unless I hop inside an A-Wing or something).

AT-AT

Repo Man

So this is on sale atm for pc. Tried the beta and liked it but not enough to pay the full price. My question is how healthy is the pc side currently ? Is it fairly quick to get into games or is this game about to became a ghost town ?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So this is on sale atm for pc. Tried the beta and liked it but not enough to pay the full price. My question is how healthy is the pc side currently ? Is it fairly quick to get into games or is this game about to became a ghost town ?

Haven't gotten the game yet but based on the user thread, not that healthy at all.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wish they'd up the credits you receive or reduce how much emotes and skins cost. Giving the ugly face models a beard or hair doesn't make him look any better. :p

Ozorov

They have added a lot of voice actors to the imdb-site for the page. DLC announcment incoming very soon?

They have added the voice for "Imperial Officer". Is that in the game now?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
They have added a lot of voice actors to the imdb-site for the page. DLC announcment incoming very soon?

They have added the voice for "Imperial Officer". Is that in the game now?

IMDb can be edited by anyone, so I tend not to regard it very highly in these matters. Still, I can see it. A mid-late January DLC would suit me nicely.

EDIT: Eh, I'm not really seeing anything on the IMDb that feels out of the ordinary, anyway. And Imperial Officer is probably just the male and female officers on the comm barking orders.

And I dunno if it is possible to see who edited stuff, sadly.

Ozorov

IMDb can be edited by anyone, so I tend not to regard it very highly in these matters. Still, I can see it. A mid-late January DLC would suit me nicely.

EDIT: Eh, I'm not really seeing anything on the IMDb that feels out of the ordinary, anyway. And Imperial Officer is probably just the male and female officers on the comm barking orders.

And I dunno if it is possible to see who edited stuff, sadly.

Nothing that spoils anything anyway but they have added like 10-15 people to the list. I've checked that list everyday since some added "Yoda".

Nizz

I have mixed feelings about the game. I got it for Christmas since I played the beta and had fun with it. First off, damn this game is a showpiece for PS4. It looks fantastic and runs like a dream. The game really does put other games to shame with the quality of the graphics and the framerate, even with all the explosions and particles and everything else going on it's solid. And the sound, jesus. This game sounds so good, the familiar Star Wars sounds along with the music. Good stuff.

But.... my god I'm getting my ass handed to me. It seems like no matter where I spawn at it feels like I take 10 steps and dying. I'll end up walking into thermal detonators just as they're about to explode with no chance to run away. I'm getting killed from turrets, getting sniped from halfway across the map, getting taken out by dudes using a pistol when it seems like my rifle should be tearing them up.

I'm honestly just not having any fun right now. Finishing matches going negative. I just finished a Walker Assault match and I'm yelling and cursing like a sailor. Just could not get going.

GeeTeeCee

I have mixed feelings about the game. I got it for Christmas since I played the beta and had fun with it. First off, damn this game is a showpiece for PS4. It looks fantastic and runs like a dream. The game really does put other games to shame with the quality of the graphics and the framerate, even with all the explosions and particles and everything else going on it's solid. And the sound, jesus. This game sounds so good, the familiar Star Wars sounds along with the music. Good stuff.

But.... my god I'm getting my ass handed to me. It seems like no matter where I spawn at it feels like I take 10 steps and dying. I'll end up walking into thermal detonators just as they're about to explode with no chance to run away. I'm getting killed from turrets, getting sniped from halfway across the map, getting taken out by dudes using a pistol when it seems like my rifle should be tearing them up.

I'm honestly just not having any fun right now. Finishing matches going negative. I just finished a Walker Assault match and I'm yelling and cursing like a sailor. Just could not get going.

It might just be me, but I tend to have a harder time enjoying myself in the bigger modes like Walker Assault and Supremacy. Usually when those start to annoy me I go and cool off in a smaller mode like Fighter Squadron or Heroes vs Villains.

Speaking of Fighter Squadron, I love it, but damn does it need a balance patch. Played ten or so matches last night and every Rebel round was a win, every Imperial round a loss. Skill can only do so much against the A-Wings. The worst bit was when our Imperial team actually overcame a 50 kill defecit to pull ahead of the Rebels, only for the game to declare 200-199 a draw.

Faceache

Honestly, there's no substitute for experience. In most online fps you'll struggle coming in new against people who have been playing the game for 1-2 months.

Like the previous poster said, the bigger modes can be random at the best of times. Probably the best piece of advice I could give is to stick to something like Drop Zone and learn how the radar works. Once you get used to it, it's fairly easy to anticipate where the enemy is going to be and get the drop on them. It gets even easier when you unlock Scan Pulse, which imo is a must.

Also, don't underestimate pistols, even at range. I would say the majority of fights in the game are at close to medium range which is exactly where the pistols shine. I would say give the DH-17 or SE-14c a go and see if that helps.

Don't think too much about going negative, K/D will come back to you the more you play.

Hope that helps.

New players indeed - 2/3 of players on every team I was in were thinking they were playing team deathmatch, whatever the mode. Went about 10 matches of straight losses before a hard-fought win.

Ozorov

New players indeed - 2/3 of players on every team I was in were thinking they were playing team deathmatch, whatever the mode. Went about 10 matches of straight losses before a hard-fought win.
I saw a lot of players shooting at the AT-ATs between the real shooting-rounds :)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm actually only now branching out into the large-scale modes. They scared me off since launch. I'm slowly beginning to love Supremacy, but Walker Assault still hasn't quite crystallized.

My favorite modes have always been Cargo (where my ritually awful aim can be remedied somewhat via playing defense with the Scout trait), Fighter Squadron (because I'm just somewhat gifted at starfighters) and Heroes versus Villains (where I am solid at Luke/Leia/Palpatine and... liquid... at Han/Vader/Fett).

I'm actually only now branching out into the large-scale modes. They scared me off since launch. I'm slowly beginning to love Supremacy, but Walker Assault still hasn't quite crystallized.

My favorite modes have always been Cargo (where my ritually awful aim can be remedied somewhat via playing defense with the Scout trait), Fighter Squadron (because I'm just somewhat gifted at starfighters) and Heroes versus Villains (where I am solid at Luke/Leia/Palpatine and... liquid... at Han/Vader/Fett).

I would say in the larger modes, because that's all I really play, to be successful, do the following things.

Equip Scout, it's just so OP.

Learn the maps which in turn will allow you learn player behavior. In the way that WA is setup, you can easily start to predict player behavior. For example turrets on Sullust, Mountains on Jundland.

As the rebels, move to the next area before the last Y wing bomber finishes this allows you to setup the M coms and do whatever else you need to for the next phase ASAP.

As the imperials, do it before the second of last Y wing finishes, because then you now have the upper hand to defend.

Learn where the power up, especially AT AT spawns in every round.

Take the long way round, or be patient, this is probably the number one tip, but it reaps it's rewards.

In the AT ST, when you spawn, make sure to sprint and flank left or right, never go down the middle.

As a hero, you have to (HAVE to) either disarm or arm the M coms, if now else is doing it. Also choose the appropriate hero for the level, indoor = Luke/Vader/Emperor, Outside = the rest.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I would say in the larger modes, because that's all I really play, to be successful, do the following things.

Equip Scout, it's just so OP.

Learn the maps which in turn will allow you learn player behavior. In the way that WA is setup, you can easily start to predict player behavior. For example turrets on Sullust, Mountains on Jundland.

As the rebels, move to the next area before the last Y wing bomber finishes this allows you to setup the M coms and do whatever else you need to for the next phase ASAP.

As the imperials, do it before the second of last Y wing finishes, because then you now have the upper hand to defend.

Learn where the power up, especially AT AT spawns in every round.

Take the long way round, or be patient, this is probably the number one tip, but it reaps it's rewards.

In the AT ST, when you spawn, make sure to sprint and flank left or right, never go down the middle.

This is all quite handy, thanks. <3

I've had Scout equipped for a while. It is quite incredible. Unfortunately my aim is still shoddy enough that in head-to-head shootouts it's still anyone's guess who will survive. I don't know if it's my inexperience with the genre or less-than-stellar eyesight or what, but that's my big hurdle. So I've been wrapping around the edges of maps slowly learning if and when it's possible to get a surprise bead on the opposition. Sometimes, especially on Sullust and Tatooine, I've found paths through the interiors that have taken me to a sort of... nest of enemy players, and I'm right behind them, and suddenly I'll go from 2-5 to 10-5 and it is glorious.

Based Scout!

JonCha

Noticed this is on sale and, with a couple of friends getting it for Christmas, I took the plunge. I'm not going to be playing a whole lot but I honestly think that's the best way to play the game; it seems like those who are putting in a lot of time are burning out quickly.

Noticed this is on sale and, with a couple of friends getting it for Christmas, I took the plunge. I'm not going to be playing a whole lot but I honestly think that's the best way to play the game; it seems like those who are putting in a lot of time are burning out quickly.

That's how I've been playing it. I've had it since launch and I'm a level 35 with around 28 hours or so. I just play it in small bursts, maybe an hour at a time. It's a fun game to play every now and then.

EL CUCO

I suck with the EE-3. Can't get it to "work" :(
Lol its not too complicated. Just aim (preferably towards upper body/head area) and pull the trigger as quick as possible. It's got great range, so that's something you can take advantage of as well

________
My biggest problem right now is staying alive in the air. Feels like there's always 2 or 3 enemies the moment I spawn blowing me out of the sky. I think DICE needs to do some re-balancing on the air combat.

I suck at this game. I really do. And yet I force myself to get better. I don't play shooters almost at all but got this with my PS4 since I adore Star Wars and loved Battlefront 2 back in the day.

I curse at DL44 every time I see it. I curse when I spawn and get killed off 5 seconds in or shoot a guy 5 times and he turns around and headshots me once. And yet I force myself still to get better.

I don't know what it was but I read a few advices the other day: use E-11, get jetpack on rank 13, go third person and use L2 for aiming as little as possible. I played Supremacy since it reminded me of old Battlefront the most but decided to jump into Droid run, the capture the flag thing and a few other smaller modes since they were also listed as my objectives (win 3 Droid runs, etc.).

The minute I decided to have a go at the above advice, something clicked. Me having more kills than deaths is becoming a regularity, I can score a series of kills and live through and was really impressed with myself.

So after a few days of this I decide to jump into a Supremacy game, Sullust map. I cursed that my Share button didn't give me an option to save a video. I do not know what the hell happened, but I was sniping folks left and right, double kills, triple kills and even got Luke at the last minute. Final score: K34D22 and FIRST ×#$@!€ PLACE. I just stared at my screen in disbelief. I still get killed a lot and still mostly suck (I couldn't repeat this result) but damn that felt good. Really good.

Nizz

It might just be me, but I tend to have a harder time enjoying myself in the bigger modes like Walker Assault and Supremacy. Usually when those start to annoy me I go and cool off in a smaller mode like Fighter Squadron or Heroes vs Villains.

Speaking of Fighter Squadron, I love it, but damn does it need a balance patch. Played ten or so matches last night and every Rebel round was a win, every Imperial round a loss. Skill can only do so much against the A-Wings. The worst bit was when our Imperial team actually overcame a 50 kill defecit to pull ahead of the Rebels, only for the game to declare 200-199 a draw.
Yeah, after getting creamed in Walker Assault I just stuck to Drop Zone and Blast.

Honestly, there's no substitute for experience. In most online fps you'll struggle coming in new against people who have been playing the game for 1-2 months.

Like the previous poster said, the bigger modes can be random at the best of times. Probably the best piece of advice I could give is to stick to something like Drop Zone and learn how the radar works. Once you get used to it, it's fairly easy to anticipate where the enemy is going to be and get the drop on them. It gets even easier when you unlock Scan Pulse, which imo is a must.

Also, don't underestimate pistols, even at range. I would say the majority of fights in the game are at close to medium range which is exactly where the pistols shine. I would say give the DH-17 or SE-14c a go and see if that helps.

Don't think too much about going negative, K/D will come back to you the more you play.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the tips. I think I just let the frustration of being a noobie at this game get to me. I'll also chalk some of it up to age too. Not as young as I used to be and reflexes are getting slower. I've always loved FPS games, play COD and Battlefield. I've given up on COD though since I don't have the time to invest in it to get good. Nowadays my only online shooter I play is Battlefield 4. I can hold my own most of the time in BF4, mostly play Rush mode.

But the Star Wars bug hit me with Battlefront, I had to get it. I guess I forgot how rough it can be to jump into an online shooter after it's been out for a bit. I'll definitely check out the weapons you mentioned, I'm at level 17 now so I need to check and see if those are available.

Disgusting.

http://i.imgur.com/FJ8sgyL.png[img]

Have like two kills with the homing shot from playing honor guard back at launch, still keeps me up at night. Get my kills the honorable way: spamming scan pulse and throwing shit everywhere![/QUOTE]

Looool

The only way to play Endor

DH-17: 10 kills (Just better pistols to use.)

DL-44: 48 kills (I honestly don't like it that much, but it's really is powerful.)

SE-14C: 487 kills (So good)

A280C: 30 kills (No point when you can use the E-11.)

E-11: 204 kills (Just a good all-round blaster.)

EE-3: 84 kills (Most of the time I just use the E-11 over it.)

DLT-19: 128 kills (Haven't really used this since I started the game.)

RT-97C: 260 kills (Fun when I just want to spray a lot.)

T-21: 21 kills (Never been a fan of this.)

CA-87: 52 kills (Fun to use, but I find the SE-14C more useful since it can be used at medium range unlike this.)

T-21B: 0 kills (lol)

Toa TAK

Banned
do you need the app the see per weapon kills?

You can also go online and just see your career stats from there.

I just use the app for the Base Command game.

Also, I'm trying to keep track of how many wins I have in a gametype.

Just 8 more wins in Hero Hunt for the Airspeeder. ;_;7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom