• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Just keep playing. For some reason, all the good guns are locked at the end. DICE has no clue how to create balanced weapons it seems. The last pistol is a two shot kill. It's pretty freaking stupid.

Until then just camp using honing missile and sniper rifle, and wait for the ATST or Hero pickups to become available. Whoever gets these pickups usually ends up posting ridiculous numbers like 80-0. So yeah. The game is pretty freaking broken, but it's still a lot of fun because of its casual nature. Dont worry about your KDR and just play it for the experience until you hit level 25 and unlock the DL-44.

P.S You can play Fighter Squadron to quickly level up. Games dont last too long and you can clean up on AI kills. The same rules apply here. Wait for the Hero pick ups (Falcon or Slave 1) and go nuts. Here is my gameplay from last night. Went 11-1. Falcon has pretty much unlimited health and kills everyone in a few shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDskVpIMSd8

Thank you so much. I noticed I kept getting killed by that pistol which was annoying.

5taquitos

Thank you so much. I noticed I kept getting killed by that pistol which was annoying.

I feel like the DL-44 is such an easy fix, just drop the effective range and make it overheat a shot or two sooner, and the problem is solved. Still effective at close range, but inferior at mid.

PrankT

Just keep playing. For some reason, all the good guns are locked at the end. DICE has no clue how to create balanced weapons it seems. The last pistol is a two shot kill. It's pretty freaking stupid.

Until then just camp using honing missile and sniper rifle, and wait for the ATST or Hero pickups to become available. Whoever gets these pickups usually ends up posting ridiculous numbers like 80-0. So yeah. The game is pretty freaking broken, but it's still a lot of fun because of its casual nature. Dont worry about your KDR and just play it for the experience until you hit level 25 and unlock the DL-44.

P.S You can play Fighter Squadron to quickly level up. Games dont last too long and you can clean up on AI kills. The same rules apply here. Wait for the Hero pick ups (Falcon or Slave 1) and go nuts. Here is my gameplay from last night. Went 11-1. Falcon has pretty much unlimited health and kills everyone in a few shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDskVpIMSd8
Early weapons are great and all blasters besides the DL-44 are pretty balanced. I switch between quite a few of them because they all feel different and are still fun to use. There is absolutely no need to use DL-44, homing shot, pulse canon, or camp items. I'd advocate being more creative in your gameplay to get better, not just lean on unbalanced elements of the game.

I feel like the DL-44 is such an easy fix, just drop the effective range and make it overheat a shot or two sooner, and the problem is solved. Still effective at close range, but inferior at mid.

It's already bad at long range, they just need to nerf it at close range.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's already bad at long range, they just need to nerf it at close range.

People keep saying this, but I am still calling bullshit. I get dropped by it from well over 20 meters like nothing. It still has too much punch at mid range. Bunch of Han Solo's running around.

My friend went out of town for the holidays and let me borrow his Xbox One.

This game is very fun. I don't think it's worth $70, but it's fun. I tried all the game modes and my favorite is good ol' Blast. The DL-44 is most definitely overpowered. My best game was with the EE-3 though - I really like that blaster. It's good at all ranges. I also like the T-21 and was excited when I finally unlocked the T-21B, but was disappointed when it overheated way too fast. Seriously you have to have perfect aim to make the T-21B work or else it just sucks at anything but long range sniping.

Toa TAK

Banned
You know, I feel pretty good about the amount of content that we're getting, the only thing that's disappointing is that we're staying in the OT.

Hopefully the next game will span across all three eras covered in the films.

Dr Prob

Banned
For some reason, all the good guns are locked at the end. DICE has no clue how to create balanced weapons it seems. The last pistol is a two shot kill. It's pretty freaking stupid.

Until then just camp using honing missile and sniper rifle, and wait for the ATST or Hero pickups to become available...

I don't know, man. The starting guns - despite falling into the usually dreaded "jack of all trades" category - are some of the most useful in the game. Most of the weapons you unlock while progressing excel in one area at the expense of something else (which actually seems pretty balanced to me) while you can use the E-11/A280 in any mode/just about any situation and do fine. The DL-44 is the only one that's really out of whack.

Also, telling poor BumRush to camp with the Homing Shot/Pulse Rifle is terrible advice! And GAF is filled with terrible advice, so for that to stick out is notable!

BumRush: do not listen to this man. He is leading you down a path that will end - at best - with your total and complete destruction. Just figure out if you want to play in first or third person, aim for the head, fire from the hip, keep moving when you engage enemies as there's no penalty, and use your minimap to stay aware of where enemies are. Over time you'll learn the flow of the maps and unlock traits which will make things easier. Play the objectives and don't camp ffs.

Toa TAK

Banned
The best and most accurate advice I can give anyone is to never to listen to GAF advice.

So I wonder how you take my advice.

giphy.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Also, telling poor BumRush to camp with the Homing Shot/Pulse Rifle is terrible advice! And GAF is filled with terrible advice, so for that to stick out is notable!

LOL!

I am only speaking from experience. I felt like I lost pretty much every gun fight until I unlocked the last two EE rifles. And ever since then I have been getting killed by the DL-44.

I guess my main problem with the game is how many things can kill you with one hit. ATSTs, Heros, Honing Missiles that lock on in 2 seconds, Sniper rifles. So it's extremely frustrating when you manage to avoid all these things to then die because your gun was weaker than the guy who spent more time playing the game.

BumRush

BumRush: do not listen to this man. He is leading you down a path that will end - at best - with your total and complete destruction. Just figure out if you want to play in first or third person, aim for the head, fire from the hip, keep moving when you engage enemies as there's no penalty, and use your minimap to stay aware of where enemies are. Over time you'll learn the flow of the maps and unlock traits which will make things easier. Play the objectives and don't camp ffs.

Haha I definitely won't camp. I think my problem is that I move too much to be honest. Also, I haven't played an online shooter in like 3 years so I'm rusty as hell. Thanks for the great advice.

User1608

Banned
This game is really fun. Surprise of the year! I failed you, Luke.;_; Glad I took a chance, because I haven't enjoyed an online shooter this much since Black Ops 2.

People keep saying this, but I am still calling bullshit. I get dropped by it from well over 20 meters like nothing. It still has too much punch at mid range. Bunch of Han Solo's running around.

I must really suck at playing the game then, I hardly kill anyone with it from long range :(

This game is really fun. Surprise of the year! I failed you, Luke.;_; Glad I took a chance, because I haven't enjoyed an online shooter this much since Black Ops 2.
Welcome aboard! lol

Game is really fun, I'm 63h in heh

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I must really suck at playing the game then, I hardly kill anyone with it from long range :(

Welcome aboard! lol

Game is really fun, I'm 63h in heh

Oh I agree, I suck with it as well. I was not too bad starting off as a noobie when I had the Deluxe edition, playing on maps that were smaller with people that did not have it, etc.

But ever since then, I stink with the damn thing, and I scratch my head as to how I always get smoked by it. You can always tell 9 times out of 10 when you felt like you were one hit dropped, it is almost always a DL-44. And these are at good mid distances that really bother me, close range does not.

I can't figure out how they get those shots off so fast, when I feel I can't.

But I still enjoy the heck out of the game. Overall have a ton of fun in it, there just needs to be a few balancing tweaks, which according to the main designer, are in the works.

Got it.

I hope they balance the aircrafts. It's really unfair, rebels have a ridiculous air superiority compared to the Imperials. Also, getting the AT-AT lately hasn't really helped me much, it's usually facing an empty side of the map, what the hell are they doing?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So here are a few new game modes I've come up with, factoring into account how unwilling DICE seems to be with regards to space content. Please be kind; this is only the second shooter I've ever played and the first was MGO. I don't have much experience to draw from, I just think these might be neat.

1. FIGHTER SUPREMACY

Gargantuan aerial maps with capital ships that actually dish out damage. Control points are easily distinguished sizable areas. Maybe there's a ground war below, but to win, players need to take to the skies.

2. CLOAK AND DAGGER

Experimental cloaking technology has been pilfered! One to three players move about undetected except when fired upon, winning if they take out the enemy team before getting brought down themselves. Admittedly I stole this from MGO.

3. SHOOT FIRST BLAST

Like traditional Blast, but without respawns. I'm a big fan of the survival approach so I wish this existed.

Toa TAK

Banned
I haven't played much of this mode because I was getting annoyed by the rebel side.
Why is that? Shorter matches? Easier to get kills?
As the Rebels in an A-Wing you can easily dominate, plus on either side killing AIs still net you points in addition to player kills. Once you're a Hero, it's easy mode the rest of the game.

Woorloog

Banned
Back to playing this game. Between The Witcher 3, being sick and playing other games, didn't have time for this.

And man, it is fun. I reckon this truly will be the game that replaces old Halos... Been looking for such a game for a long while.
Would love a campaign-based Star Wars game with this engine and assets though, to sate my thirst for a single player shooter, a new Jedi Knight would be ideal...

Still needs balance patches but DICE does have reasonable reputation when it comes to post-launch support.

A shame the Bowcaster isn't a normal weapon. Would love to use it as a standard weapon rather than as a charged explosive-shotgun.

Jakku is pretty good map, i think. Awesome atmosphere, and a mixed terrain when it comes to range.
Too bad we can't go inside the Star Destroyer and the Corellian Corvette.

Woorloog

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/bJLZQrS.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Obvious not as it is. Would be OP.

Just make it a blaster.

Though i'd add the Cycler Rifle or slugthrowers in general to that list. That is, available as standard weapons. Obviously tweaked and not made blasters , they're slugthrowers after all...

Also want the Clone Trooper's rifle. Not the carbine-predecessor to the E-11 but the proper rifle from Episode 2. The frigging long-gun.

MrDaravon

I'm sure I'm just a noob and there are concrete ways to tackle them but man do homing shots piss me off

I'm still fairly low level (18 or so?) but once you get the jetpack they largely become a non-issue and are easy to avoid usually with that. I do still sometimes get killed by people point-blank locking onto me with them; it's not too common and it's usually a mutual death, but it's super annoying that's still a thing. Outside of that they still get me is very rarely if I've just spawned in an open area and I immediately get locked on and my jet pack isn't recharged but that's very uncommon, happened to me like once or twice when I was playing last night. I mean, having people lock onto you on respawn is relatively common, but you can usually get to cover and/or jetpack to safety.

Tried playing Black Ops 3 after having only played Battlefront the last two months. Can't do it. I mean I technically can play it fine, but it is just so boring and sterile. Battlefront is just too much pure fun to put up with crap like COD anymore.

DJ Gunner

Tried playing Black Ops 3 after having only played Battlefront the last two months. Can't do it. I mean I technically can play it fine, but it is just so boring and sterile. Battlefront is just too much pure fun to put up with crap like COD anymore.

Agree 110%. I played BO3 up until the day Battlefront released and have not played it since.

pots555

This is the first multiplayer game I have played in a long time. And...I'm getting killed a lot. Their is no strategy in this game. You get out and shoot away. I thought I could take my time and scan the areas the first time I played, but no way.

Maybe I'm too old, or not good enough (surely!!) but getting killed in two shots by the same blaster (DL-44) each and every time is getting on my nerves.

Any tips?

PrankT

This is the first multiplayer game I have played in a long time. And...I'm getting killed a lot. Their is no strategy in this game. You get out and shoot away. I thought I could take my time and scan the areas the first time I played, but no way.

Maybe I'm too old, or not good enough (surely!!) but getting killed in two shots by the same blaster (DL-44) each and every time is getting on my nerves.

Any tips?
Try the smaller modes until you get more used to the game. Droid Run can get you some decent points if you play the objective. Learning the maps will do you wonders in finding out safe areas vs. instant death.

MrDaravon

Had a fantastic sequence of 5-6 games tonight in Blast where even though I was just fucking around using the DH-17 (for a blast pistol headshot challenge) I was in 1st or 2nd place every time with 3+ K/Ds most games. Loving Scout, playing smart and abusing the radar to get the drop on people is great and worked well. Didn't see a single person using the DL-44 that whole set of games though so I can't tell if I was just doing well or it was all Christmas newbies >_>. Need to try it out in other modes, played a few games of Turning Point with a friend tonight but that map is relatively open so I don't know it works as well there. Really need to get to the higher-level unlocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom