• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played a ton of Fighter Squadron for some challenges and I did pretty decently each game. A-Wing OP is kinda annoying but oh well.

Jumped back into walker assault and got steam rolled (DL-44s ffs). Hard not to jump back into FS with the per match points being pretty good.

jlevel13

Agreed with all of this. In concept, it is great, as it stands right now, it is utter shit, and will prevent me from the win in all game modes trophy.

If you want to win at hero hunt (and I agree it's the worst mode right now), you probably have to cheese it a bit - instead of rushing the hero and trying to inflict a ton of damage, play smarter, only moving in aggressively when the hero is close to dead and try to get lucky with that last shot. It also helps to get a good pick up to lob at the hero near the end that will do a bunch of damage. Play smart and it's not too hard to win a match (then never play the mode again).

Tubie

I imagine an easy way to get Hero Hunt wins is to only play on Hoth Ice Caves and hope you get Leia or the Emperor. That tunnel is an easy way to camp and heal when needed.

It still sucks you getting to be a hero depends on luck or just being a complete jackass and try to time your shots to steal a kill.

I thought I was close one time but 25 kills was apparently not enough, the guy that won got 40+.

leng jai

So after a month of mainly playing Supremacy here's my list of shit that desperately need to be tweaked or just completely changed:

- More points for capturing CPs in Supremacy, at least 500. After a certain amount of capping time you should get full credit even if you die before it finishes. It's lame to sit at a CP for 10+ seconds only to die at the last second and get barely any points for it.

- Spawns are still a bit shit. You should never spawn in a position where you can be shot at within 1 second.

- Change the Hero killing credit to most damage dealt rather than last hit. The same can be said for AT-STs. It's fucking ridiculous that some random guy can get credit for killing it with a blaster shot just because they just happened to time the shot on the last hit point.

- Buff AT-ST health. These things get killed by A-Wings in 2 seconds and can be one shot by Smart Rockets.

- Nerf A-Wings and buff Tie Fighters (which are utterly useless right now).

- Blaster Canon. What's the use of this in Supremacy? Or anything?

- Better visual indicators for grenades and explosives. The thermal detonator in particular is impossible to see/avoid and by the time you hear the sound it's too late.

- Reduce the damage and lock-on range of Homing Shot. To be honest I wouldn't be against removing it altogether, it's just a daft weapon.

- Limit the Heroes to one use each per round in Supremacy. I don't want to have to kill Darth Vader 4 times in one game.

- Reduce damage or range on the DL-44. I shouldn't be constantly 2 shot instantly against this thing at medium range.

- Prevent Boba Fett from being able to jet pack onto higher ground which makes him impossible to kill.

- Change up spawn points for Heroes and vehicles so it's not just the same people camping them.

- Give us 5 man squads. A wonky partner system is all we get? Really?

- Give us more loadouts. 2 hands is absolute nonsense.

- Make it so you can't use Homing Shot/Bowcaster mid jump.

- Speeder Bikes are useless and handle terribly. They should be awesome but the only thing I see people using it for is crashing.

- There should be a visible scope glint while someone is aiming down the sights with a Pulse Cannon. It's annoying getting one shot with it out of nowhere.

- Critical assists should get kill credit.

- Disable health regen when you have Personal Shield up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you want to win at hero hunt (and I agree it's the worst mode right now), you probably have to cheese it a bit - instead of rushing the hero and trying to inflict a ton of damage, play smarter, only moving in aggressively when the hero is close to dead and try to get lucky with that last shot. It also helps to get a good pick up to lob at the hero near the end that will do a bunch of damage. Play smart and it's not too hard to win a match (then never play the mode again).

I thought of this, I am just not sure I have the patience, lol.

I eventually will more than likely once I am 50.

So after a month of mainly playing Supremacy here's my list of shit that desperately need to be tweaked or just completely changed:

- More points for capturing CPs in Supremacy, at least 500. After a certain amount of capping time you should get full credit even if you die before it finishes. It's lame to sit at a CP for 10+ seconds only to die at the last second and get barely any points for it.
Full credit is a bit too spoon-fed. Half points would be enough, or just anything at this point. Maybe full points if it still gets capped.

- Spawns are still a bit shit. You should never spawn in a position where you can be shot at within 1 second.
Agreed. I'm not sure what more they can do when certain areas get crowded. Invincibility frames/period perhaps where you can't do damage/abilities as well?

- Change the Hero killing credit to most damage dealt rather than last hit. The same can be said for AT-STs. It's fucking ridiculous that some random guy can get credit for killing it with a blaster shot just because they just happened to time the shot on the last hit point.
There may need to be a timed element to that. It would be nonsense if someone did do most of the damage, but a couple/few minutes go by without doing so again yet get full credit. Not sure how I feel with it applied to the ATST, and other elements. Someone mentioned in one of the Gaming threads or maybe here how the Battlefield games do something like this, but I'll have to load up and play BF4 to see how that works. In short, it should probably behave like a critical assist, except those should become the main kill points

- Buff AT-ST health. These things get killed by A-Wings in 2 seconds and can be one shot by Smart Rockets.
F'n A. Those are bigger deathtraps then the Ties. Speaking of which...

- Nerf A-Wings and buff Tie Fighters (which are utterly useless right now).
All they need to do is fix the hitbox issues with the As, and possibly remove shields and replace with speed boost. One of the Ties should have shields as well.

- Blaster Canon. What's the use of this in Supremacy? Or anything?
I've seen them used to good effect, but perhaps a buff to match the E-Web?

- Better visual indicators for grenades and explosives. The thermal detonator in particular is impossible to see/avoid and by the time you hear the sound it's too late.
Grenades seem fine. The big problem I've encountered are the vehicle turrets. Those need to be clearly indicated when they fire and should probably have a range nerf. Getting shot halfway-to-a-quarter across a map with no idea what's going on due to all the sparky-booms and ion-smoke is ridiculous.

- Reduce the damage and lock-on range of Homing Shot. To be honest I wouldn't be against removing it altogether, it's just a daft weapon.
Dmg reduce ok, range no. There's better options in C&B, so likely getting killed by it at that range is either the victim not paying attention, getting jumped on, or not landing their shots. They also tend to be rather easy to avoid, either with jetpacks or level geometry. If you're out in the open...well, getting killed out there is what happens.

- Limit the Heroes to one use each per round in Supremacy. I don't want to have to kill Darth Vader 4 times in one game.
Maybe, but it's already difficult enough with the hero powerup placements and campings for a lot of players to nab a chance to be a hero. While it's a symptom of the eternal issue that is a lack of hero units, it would curb the fun for the majority if restricted in that manner.

- Reduce damage or range on the DL-44. I shouldn't be constantly 2 shot instantly against this thing at medium range.
I find the damage fine, but it needs a range drop off. The shock blaster and triple burst (esp w/ explosive shot) can match and even surpass it. If it weren't for the Deluxe users, it'd be fine as a high level weapon with the range cut.

- Prevent Boba Fett from being able to jet pack onto higher ground which makes him impossible to kill.
This will have to be done for both Boba and normal jetpack users.

- Change up spawn points for Heroes and vehicles so it's not just the same people camping them.
+.

- Give us 5 man squads. A wonky partner system is all we get? Really?
Yep. Hell, I'd settle for 3. Also, some better in-game system in getting personal squads together.

- Give us more loadouts. 2 hands is absolute nonsense.
There's the partner's as well. Best solution IMO is a mode specific hand so that no matter what, you're going in with a reliable hand in case you forget to switch up before joining.

- Make it so you can't use Homing Shot/Bowcaster mid jump.
Nonsense. It's annoying, but it's a valid tactic. Ppl tend to be weaker in midair too, so landing one/two shots with just about anything will send them cartwheeling in the air into combustible satisfaction.

- Speeder Bikes are useless and handle terribly. They should be awesome but the only thing I see people using it for is crashing.
I can't disagree, though there's really nothing to be done about them

- There should be a visible scope glint while someone is aiming down the sights with a Pulse Cannon. It's annoying getting one shot with it out of nowhere.

- Critical assists should get kill credit.
I think this is the Battlefield thing, and I agree.

- Disable health regen when you have Personal Shield up.
Why? It being a mobile respite is the one of the main points of it, and it's not like it automatically regens health on activation.

Some comments.

Pretty much going to have to give up on tow cable takedowns. If the minigame isn't spazzing out for no reason, folks on PC pay way too much attention to them and makes it impossible to complete it. Not sure if incoming damage has to be from Ion weapons or not in the future, as players are just going to keep getting more efficient.

Matticers

I got this for Christmas and I've had a lot of fun with the game... but the last two days I've all ran into was the DL-44 and it's honestly killing the game for me. It went from feeling like a fun arcade shooter where I actually have a chance to take cover or return fire if I get hit... to dying in seconds like I'm playing CoD now that I'm running into all of these DL-44s. It's kind of ridiculous. Makes me not even want to play anymore or just hope I get into lobbies where people aren't at rank 25.

Is it just me or is this gun OP as hell? It feels pointless to use any other gun in the game if you're on a small to medium sized map. Even on big maps, it probably racks up kills if you're smart about your map positioning.

so what's the consensus on the best mode?

it's my 2nd day playing and i have only played AT AT walker mode. love it tonz

Walker Assault, Fighter Squadron, and Droid Run are my top ones. Turning Point is up there as well. They all have issues (ex. FS with the A-Wing and Falcon issues, weak Ties; DR with last seconds being the only thing that matters), but those are the ones that seem to work the best with what the game offers.

I got this for Christmas and I've had a lot of fun with the game... but the last two days I've all ran into was the DL-44 and it's honestly killing the game for me. It went from feeling like a fun arcade shooter where I actually have a chance to take cover or return fire if I get hit... to dying in seconds like I'm playing CoD now that I'm running into all of these DL-44s. It's kind of ridiculous. Makes me not even want to play anymore or just hope I get into lobbies where people aren't at rank 25.

Is it just me or is this gun OP as hell? It feels pointless to use any other gun in the game if you're on a small to medium sized map. Even on big maps, it probably racks up kills if you're smart about your map positioning.

It really needs a range nerf. I would also say damage, but honestly the SE with Explosive Shot (especially upgraded) and the Shock Blaster can be quite competitive with it at close range. Taking it down to a 3 shot weapon entirely or cutting much of the damage will just make those two the next for nerf cries, then it'll be the EE3, E11, rebel rifle, T21...and so on and so forth.

However, as always when someone uses the 'just me' phrase, you're definitely not alone and you'll find the majority want the weapon nerfed to the way of Alderaan.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've been playing this since launch on Xbox and have unlocked all weapons/cards etc.
All of my friends decided to buy the game on PS4 for Christmas so yesterday I cracked and ordered a PS4 bundle, however...

I'm absolutely dreading playing this game from scratch with no weapons or cards unlocked!
I'm one of those bastards that uses the DL-44 as well so it's going to be fairly fitting when I find myself on the receiving end of it.

I'm tempted to see if I can find a deluxe code on eBay...

Klocker

Walker Assault, Fighter Squadron, and Droid Run are my top ones. Turning Point is up there as well. They all have issues (ex. FS with the A-Wing and Falcon issues, weak Ties; DR with last seconds being the only thing that matters), but those are the ones that seem to work the best with what the game offers.

It really needs a range nerf. I would also say damage, but honestly the SE with Explosive Shot (especially upgraded) and the Shock Blaster can be quite competitive with it at close range. Taking it down to a 3 shot weapon entirely or cutting much of the damage will just make those two the next for nerf cries, then it'll be the EE3, E11, rebel rifle, T21...and so on and so forth.

However, as always when someone uses the 'just me' phrase, you're definitely not alone and you'll find the majority want the weapon nerfed to the way of Alderaan.

Yes I use se with explosive shot (which of course is limited) just to compete against the DL 44. I'd take a Nerf on it if the DL44 got nerffed and we could all use more modest weapons and make the firefights more interesting and drawn out for a couple more seconds

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Aren't the T21B and the BL-44 pretty much complete opposites? I imagine the T21B is completely useless unless you're at range?

I wouldn't call it useless, but I've won roughly a third of the super-close shootouts I've been in, and to be perfectly honest that isn't much of a downgrade from my usual close-range firefight capabilities anyway. >_>;

I like to pick fights with enemies that are a considerable distance from me because when they're right up in my face I lose rather often.

Woorloog

Banned
Blaster Cannon is great. It is difficult to find a suitable position and situation for it but when you do, it is really, really good.
E-Web? What's the fucking point when you can be killed easily from it since it lacks a shield.

Ferr986

I love using an Airspeeder in the last part of Turning Point. All of the imperials are on the same spot behind the containers, making them extremely easy to kill with divebombs.

The only problem you can face is AT-ST, and 9/10 players on an AT-ST will ignore you because they rather kill troops for their KD.

lawnchair

Banned
Heroes vs Villains, easily.

people on this same page have said the heroes modes are the weakest, so that definitely isn't "consensus" .. my guess is that walker assault/supremacy are the most popular overall. be nice if they had more maps.

i was home for the holidays and had a shit ton of fun playing couch co-op/vs with my brother. put way more time in there than i thought i would. if its an option for you and you havent played it with a friend, definitely do..

grmlin

I have the most fun with Fighter Squadron. Too bad it has so little content and gets boring so fast.

I would instantly buy a game solely focussing on space/ground aircraft battles. So good.

Other than that I prefer the smaller modes like blast, droid run etc. But here and there some walkers or Jakku are fine, too.

Regarding the hero modes: I don't understand whats fun about getting killed a ton only to pray for the luck to get the killing shot on the hero. This is not fun, this is frustrating and boring.

The other mode where you get selected randomly to play one of three heroes is better, but still, I prefer my classic gunplay. I think that's why I play the modes without heroes most of the time.

PrankT

I like Supremacy, Turning Point, Droid Run, Drop Zone, and Heroes vs. Villains. Supremacy is my favorite large map mode, and Droid Run is my favorite small map mode. Walker Assault was fun initially, but I don't really enjoy it at this point.

BizzyBum

I'm not a huge fan of the smaller modes in this game the way it is currently. Way too much cheap shit that gets exacerbated even more in the smaller modes. My favorite small mode if I'd had to pick would be Heroes vs. Villains.

My favorites are Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Fighter Squadron. I would play Turning Point and Fighter Squadron way more if more maps were added. I was really looking forward to potential space battles and maybe docking for ground combat via DLC but that's been confirmed not happening.

Been rocking the T21B and I'm really enjoying its range. Switched out the DL-44 for it and not looking back.

I wouldn't call it useless, but I've won roughly a third of the super-close shootouts I've been in, and to be perfectly honest that isn't much of a downgrade from my usual close-range firefight capabilities anyway. >_>;

I like to pick fights with enemies that are a considerable distance from me because when they're right up in my face I lose rather often.

Are we the same person?

Woorloog

Banned
FOR FUCKS SAKE the chat in this game sucks.

First, partner-chat sometimes opens only team chat. Secondly, i can't use ä, ö etc. nordic letters. They worked before... suddenly they stopped working.

Tubie

Been rocking the T21B and I'm really enjoying its range. Switched out the DL-44 for it and not looking back.

Welcome to the glory that is the T-21B.

I have 1k kills with it. From like 30m and beyond no other weapon will beat it. The best is when they just stay still and try to trade shots with you using their DL-44 from long range lol.

hydruxo

people on this same page have said the heroes modes are the weakest, so that definitely isn't "consensus" .. my guess is that walker assault/supremacy are the most popular overall. be nice if they had more maps.

i was home for the holidays and had a shit ton of fun playing couch co-op/vs with my brother. put way more time in there than i thought i would. if its an option for you and you havent played it with a friend, definitely do..

Eh I misread that dudes post. Thought he was asking what our favorite modes were rather than a consensus. Yeah WA is probably the most popular. HvV is my personal favorite.

pots555

I agree with you totally. I loved the game when I started playing last week. Now, I get killed so often, almost always with the DL-44. I don't want to play the game anymore because of it. So stupid. No strategy, just running around until I get killed for the 10th time by the same gun.

leng jai

The DL-44 is definitely becoming worse as time goes on and more people unlock it. It's insane Dice hasn't done anything about it yet.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Are we the same person?

It's possible!

Welcome to the glory that is the T-21B.

I have 1k kills with it. From like 30m and beyond no other weapon will beat it. The best is when they just stay still and try to trade shots with you using their DL-44 from long range lol.

Haha. Yup. I've had that happen quite a few times already. When they die I imagine some of them curse and are all like, "that's impossible. The DL-44 is better." Nope, not always!

PowderedToast

this game has a lot of balance issues but I'm cautiously excited about its future, and i'm a big fan of the streamlined design. it may be a little cynical but it i still think it's bold. what it does is allows the mechanics that do exist to become more influential and understandable on a competitive level because it reduces the variables. the guns are relatively similar excluding a couple, but still allow for a degree of personalisation. you mainly need to account for the star cards and there's only three of those you can equip, one being very limited in use. i'm a fan of the power up system. i know why others wouldn't like it because it restricts the ability to really create a class, but it also promotes an emergent element which i like. the rest of the game's design is dependent on skill, movement and general smarts. it's not perfect but it's definitely a fresh approach.

it works fantastically for the smaller modes like drop zone, but somewhat blunts the potential of a mode like walker assault which will never have the level of coordination found in a battlefield. it's left simply up to chance whether people will play it properly, and that kind of sucks. it's all dependent on the userbase and how it develops over time, but DICE could be doing more.

5taquitos

this game has a lot of balance issues but I'm cautiously excited about its future, and i'm a big fan of the streamlined design. it may be a little cynical but it i still think it's bold. what it does is allows the mechanics that do exist to become more influential and understandable on a competitive level because it reduces the variables. the guns are relatively similar excluding a couple, but still allow for a degree of personalisation. you mainly need to account for the star cards and there's only three of those you can equip, one being very limited in use. i'm a fan of the power up system. i know why others wouldn't like it because it restricts the ability to really create a class, but it also promotes an emergent element which i like. the rest of the game's design is dependent on skill, movement and general smarts. it's not perfect but it's definitely a fresh approach.

it works fantastically for the smaller modes like drop zone, but somewhat blunts the potential of a mode like walker assault which will never have the level of coordination found in a battlefield. it's left simply up to chance whether people will play it properly, and that kind of sucks. it's all dependent on the userbase and how it develops over time, but DICE could be doing more.

I agree, and I think the game really shows its strengths in the smaller modes. Drop Zone, Droid Run, Cargo, HvV, and even Blast can all be exceptionally exciting matches where the different cards and weapons can really shine. The small player counts generally leads to more cooperation as well, even with the extremely limited communication tools.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i really hope they pull a killzone: sf and patch in voice communication/squads

some of these games you either get absolutely dominated because people are playing objectives like tdm and/or the games take freaking forever.

JDHarbs

I haven't been staying on top of SWBF2 modding scene recently, but I found out today that there is a Force Awakens mod that was done over the summer.

Gameplay: https://youtu.be/yZMoc1nkOOU

It's rough, but at least it's something. Hopefully DICE can do something TFA-related after the season pass content is over with.

Woorloog

Banned
Hopefully DICE can do something TFA-related after the season pass content is over with.

I wonder... perhaps they're not allowed to?
I mean, i wouldn't be surprised if Lucasfilm/SW Story Group is keeping anything related directly to the sequel films off limits until the sequel trilogy is finished or at least mapped out fully.

One logical reason to avoid TFA content for Battlefront is to avoid mixing things oddly. Like, a TFA expansion would logically add the new Stormtrooper blasters, which would be odd in an OT environment.
Obviously they could make a TFA expansion to be like Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam DLC, separate from the main game. But this would be mean a division between TFA and OT players.

This same argument can be kind of used for prequel content, though some prequel equipment being used during the OT-era makes sense (such as the Rebels using old clone or droid army weapons) even though it wasn't seen in the films.
It is not like we saw Stormtroopers running around with a Jawa shock blaster in the OT yet in the game it is possible... Some "oddities" are acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom