• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
Hard to blame them when all it seems they play is Counterstrike, LoL, Battlefield and Blizzard games. Releasing a game on pc is kind of a nightmare.

Corrected, not as popular as those others.

However, there's a reason why those games are popular: they get support. Most of them anyway. I think AAA PC gaming would be more popular if publishers would actually invest in it, communicate with players, engage the players. As it is, PC seems to be an afterthought often, meaning less players, which in turn makes publishers say "see, no point in it".
The ball is in their hands...

Woorloog

Banned
Again, about the challenges: Why is the payout for Destroy 10 AT-STs/T-47 Airspeeders so low? The task is actually really, really difficult and long. Should be worth 800 credits/8000 points AT LEAST (ie the same as get 75 kills which is really, really easy).

Ozorov

Again, about the challenges: Why is the payout for Destroy 10 AT-STs/T-47 Airspeeders so low? The task is actually really, really difficult and long. Should be worth 800 credits/8000 points AT LEAST (ie the same as get 75 kills which is really, really easy).
Or the get 20 hero Hunt kills for 200 credits

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
PC gaming is the redheaded stepchild of gaming to AAA publishers.
Battlefront has feature and content parity with the consoles, performs great, and is on the same release schedule. It's just not getting any of the extra features PC gamers look for.

Corrected, not as popular as those others.

However, there's a reason why those games are popular: they get support. Most of them anyway. I think AAA PC gaming would be more popular if publishers would actually invest in it, communicate with players, engage the players. As it is, PC seems to be an afterthought often, meaning less players, which in turn makes publishers say "see, no point in it".
The ball is in their hands...
Oh no more battlefield? Damn.

But those games also generate a tremendous amount of revenue, so investing in PC gamers there is beneficial. Thus where does the issue truly begin?

And Battlefront is proof, PC market died out so fast. And if PC gamers truly need that much extra support and constant attention then again, it's a nightmare of an investment -- especially with how insane "nextgen" is (gamers really have no idea).

Woorloog

Banned
Sure as hell worked for Valve, Blizzard and others who have invested heavily on PC from the beginning... A loyal fanbase is a good thing to have. Can't say EA has that.

GeeTeeCee

I'm busy grinding my way through the airspeeder one right now. One left to go, but good luck staying up in the air as a Tie Fighter most of the time...

Woorloog

Banned
This game's PC version is clearly an after thought, there are so many bugs and glitches...

Like, my chat broke. I can't open chat, i can't type to it. Explain that.

(Besides, the chat is worthless since it stays open perhaps a second, try to read messages during that time.)

EDIT And now i can't move. Apparently my chat is open but it is unresponsive...

Really sucks there ain't a DICE dev and an EA exec here so i could yell my frustration at them.

EDIT Also, can't open menu either, so i can't quit from the match. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

EDIT Aaand finally, the game crashed, it is completely unresponsive.

Woorloog

Banned
there's text chat in the PC version? cool.

type PLAY THE OBJECTIVE

People do play objective in my experience.
Only, they're often stupid incapable fucks who can't fight well enough and thus let the enemy push through.

Also, the fucking game insist on equipping T-21B for me even though it is T-21 i like and use... What's wrong with this piece of shit game?

Woorloog

Banned
Did you voice any of these issues to their Twitter and official forums? Make your voices heard if not.

I don't have a twitter handle. (Or facebook or anything such. I don't use them.) EDIT And even if i had a twitter account, i'd take many, many, many messages to voice all the issues i have.
As for the official forums... I honestly don't trust anyone at DICE or EA reads those. Guess i could make a list of grievances... only it is going to take a while to write everything down.
(Besides, in my experience, a game's official forums is the absolutely worst place to discuss about a game, most likely filled to brim with fanboys and idiots.)

Ozorov

I don't have a twitter handle. (Or facebook or anything such. I don't use them.) EDIT And even if i had a twitter account, i'd take many, many, many messages to voice all the issues i have.
As for the official forums... I honestly don't trust anyone at DICE or EA reads those. Guess i could make a list of grievances... only it is going to take a while to write everything down.
(Besides, in my experience, a game's official forums is the absolutely worst place to discuss about a game, most likely filled to brim with fanboys and idiots.)
You should see the official forums. We are very kind here on gaf compared to them

Woorloog

Banned
Oh my fucking god, this fucking game crashed YET AGAIN.

Direct X error... again (i get this a few times a week).
I cannot read the fucking error message because i cannot open the window for it (not sure if Windows issue this inability to select active window).

Fucking fuck.

Oh no more battlefield? Damn.

But those games also generate a tremendous amount of revenue, so investing in PC gamers there is beneficial. Thus where does the issue truly begin?

And Battlefront is proof, PC market died out so fast. And if PC gamers truly need that much extra support and constant attention then again, it's a nightmare of an investment -- especially with how insane "nextgen" is (gamers really have no idea).

Battlefield 4 is doing just fine, on consoles and PC. Total numbers of people playing at this moment is 110k across the current gen, compared to 170k for SWBF. That's really not that bad at all.

The reasons, IMO:
-Proven developer support: the community knows that DICE (or at least DICE LA) cares about them and wants them to help shape the game
-Gameplay depth: There is, quite simply, a lot more to do in BF4, and ways to do it
-Content: BF4 might be the last of DICE's acclaimed Premium/Season Pass program (crossing fingers for BF 2016). There are now over thirty maps and countless weapons, gadgets, vehicles; as well, there are a ton of game modes--this isn't always a good thing, but there is a little something for everyone

PC gamers don't need "extra support and constant attention"--there's just not a whole lot to do in SWBF at the moment, and DICE isn't saying jackshit. That's not a way to cultivate a fanbase.

Woorloog

Banned
So, does this game have a log file anywhere? I want to know what that error message was about. Only, i can't find anything anywhere.

Also, PC gamers don't need extra features per se, we want parity with other PC games. A chat on PC is standard, as are many other things, and there's no reason to omit those.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Not saying discuss, lol. They post there, so thru probably read. Also there is really not a lot of posts, so your exposure has a higher chance to be seen. Post it well written and just never post again in it, lol. Like a "heads up", lol.

And yes, like someone else said, like a lot of Official Forums, they are usually more vicious believe it or not. Most fans go to gaming site communities or the like, barely the official forums. Bethesda and a handful of others being an exception of ravenous loyalty.

Ozorov

From Battlefrontupdates twitter :

"@SWBFUpdates: Rumored that we'll get a #StarWarsBattlefront DLC announcment on monday and patch on friday!

(Won't make a video until I get some evidence)"

Sayers

In my experience, official forums are the most savage.

Except the BioWare forums for some reason . . . those are just creepy.

Toa TAK

Banned
The truth is out there

8e6615ee1ffb813d7740212dc9a70675.jpg

Sayers

You should've been there during the ME3 debacle.

I mean, everyone complained about the ending but the kind of complaining the BW forums were doing was...something else.

Oh I saw some of it. It was actually a welcome break from the typical "why can't I fuck romance [character]?!"

pots555

Is it me or almost everyone is now using the dl-44? I never use it but it's becoming a problem. On some modes, nobody is going for the objectives. Just a bunch of guys running around and having a shooting duel with others with the same gun. This is getting stupid.

I love a tense game where everyone is working together until the end. Not one game in two days was like that. Are they going to nerf that thing or what?

Woorloog

Banned
I don't bother with the DL-44 as i assume it will be nerfed. No point in learning to use a weapon that won't be the same soon.

But yes, it is really common.

I do find SE-14C with Explosive Shot far more annoying though, as that is one shot kill even at medium range.

Woorloog

Banned
Two-person parties are problematic. This means the one without a partner in a game without full player complement will miss a spawn point. And given the shit spawns in this game, this may be a big problem.

4-person squads would have been so much better...

Woorloog

Banned
Went 56-11 in a Tatooine Supremacy. AT-ST abuse, lol.

Though not sure if it was abuse, i was really, really aggressive it rather than hiding behind.
Also shot down like 5 enemy fighters. Poor pilots, the AT-ST is really vulnerable to airstrikes in reality.

EDIT Should probably note that was with multiple AT-STs.

I don't bother with the DL-44 as i assume it will be nerfed. No point in learning to use a weapon that won't be the same soon.

I haven't unlocked the DL-44 yet but I probably won't use it for the same reason. I hit 24 today (I know, I'm slow) and I feel like I've finally become comfortable with the T-21b and EE-3.

If there's a patch coming and it gets nerfed it might not matter anyway.

Oh I saw some of it. It was actually a welcome break from the typical "why can't I fuck romance [character]?!"

Before going to the BSN I never knew there was such a vocal group of fans that only played BW games for the romances and wanted every NPC to be their sex toy. Fans on BSN have very specific grievances against BW games that you would just never think of until visiting it.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
We're pretty well mannered here.

Well done, you pricks.

Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck and fuck and bugger bugger bugger buggerty buggerty buggerty fuck fuck arse balls balls shit shit fuck and willy shit and fuck

and tits

Sayers

For all this game's imbalances and imperfections, nothing enrages me more than when you throw a grenade cleanly across the map only for it to suddenly explode at your feet a few seconds later. I may roll my eyes and even grind my teeth at the DL-44 and the homing shot but I will go from enjoying myself to just seething when that grenade thing happens.

Xzan

My two most hated deaths are to Homing Shot and Pulse Cannon to the point where I've refused to unlock either of them.

DeAlUaT.jpg

I rarely die from Pulse Cannon snipers, I just loath the fact that they're usually camping on hill 50m+ from the action contributing nothing. Nothing particularly rational other than preferring a straight fight (says the guy with the jumpcaster loadout).

Despite being easy to dodge, I seem to die to Homing Shot a fair bit more than I'd like (~2-3 times per map sometimes). Mostly due to being fired at point blank, being flanked (e.g. behind cover capping the point under the Correllian Corvette on Jakku whilst hiding from blaster fire). Or just plain glitched/lagged while jump-packing out of the way.

Having said that, I do have 28 kills with Homing Shot thanks to Honour Guard/Shock Trooper spawns. :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Battlefront is proof of how arseing around your PC build to the detriment of your community has a negative impact. From launch, from launch, I was routinely being matched into servers with 120+ ping. There is zero option to filter to local servers only even if still using the invisible matchmaking. The hacking is prominent and goes unchecked.

I don't doubt extra work is required for a PC build and that cost/investment does need to be considered, but Battlefront is a shit example of this. It's lazy handwaving to blame the PC community/costs/environment/market when you can't even include sensible regional matchmaking filtering in your almost 100% exclusively multiplayer game.

Xzan

Battlefront is proof of how arseing around your PC build to the detriment of your community has a negative impact. From launch, from launch, I was routinely being matched into servers with 120+ ping. There is zero option to filter to local servers only even if still using the invisible matchmaking. The hacking is prominent and goes unchecked.

I don't doubt extra work is required for a PC build and that cost/investment does need to be considered, but Battlefront is a shit example of this. It's lazy handwaving to blame the PC community/costs/environment/market when you can't even include sensible regional matchmaking filtering in your almost 100% exclusively multiplayer game.

The bolded is why I want a proper server browser on PS4 (platform is kind of irrelevant really). God knows where I'm being connected to from Perth but the bad connection symbol is a familiar sight. Let me choose the quality of my connection and do not give me that WiFi bar rubbish either. 5 bars for me to a BF4 server in Sydney is not the same 5 bars for a person in Sydney...

Its one of the things I liked about Titanfall. I got a list of Azure server farms with their ping times displayed. Even though SE Asia and Australia East give me the same ping, I could at least choose which one I wanted to join. They even had the decency to classify my connection as a 3-bar connection in-game, because it clearly wasn't optimal.

Woorloog

Banned
Only a ROF nerf? If it is still faster than T-21 (the only other 2-shot-kill weapon), it will be very good. Me thinks it needs a bit more than just ROF hit, like slightly lower heat capacity.

Also, Homing Shot. DICE really shouldn't have done both HS and Ion Torpedo. Instead, the Ion Torp should have dumb-fire mode and lock-on for vehicles (and no HS at all). As it is, most people don't use Ion Torpedo even in WA/Supremacy because it doesn't do anything against infantry. But if it were a dual-purpose weapon, i could see people using it more.

Of course, vehicles would need considerably health-buff at that point, probably.

Only a ROF nerf? If it is still faster than T-21 (the only other 2-shot-kill weapon), it will be very good. Me thinks it needs a bit more than just ROF hit, like slightly lower heat capacity.

Also, Homing Shot. DICE really shouldn't have done both HS and Ion Torpedo. Instead, the Ion Torp should have dumb-fire mode and lock-on for vehicles (and no HS at all). As it is, most people don't use Ion Torpedo even in WA/Supremacy because it doesn't do anything against infantry. But if it were a dual-purpose weapon, i could see people using it more.

Of course, vehicles would need considerably health-buff at that point, probably.

I dont think Ion weapons do much damage against infantry. I cant recall anytime Ive ever seen an infantry killed by an ion grenade. Also, I see tons of people with Ion Torpedo in the larger matches. Thats why the AT-STs are death traps most of the time. They get 3-4 ion torpedos launched at them as soon as they spawn a lot of the time.

Not to mention if they did tweak it to do infantry damage, you would see people jetpacking all over the place shooting ion rockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom